MORE Honor Harrington Books!

Groan. I've read a few of them but I think David Weber got more than a little carried away there.

The few I've read, seemed to be kind of laboured in style, and heavy on the message. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't get into them.

perhaps I should hit the library again and give them another go?:confused:

Last edited:
The first books are ok, as are the short stories, but he does get to political.

But then who am I to talk in real life I am a moderate Democrat and in my sci-fi story I am writing on here, the party that is pro-military is called the Progressive-Centrist Party while the main Opposition party is the Conservatives who plan to balance the budget by cutting off funds to the Navy which they claim in the tradition of Neville Chamberlain is no longer necessary.

David Weber is the only SF author that has a working ("belivable") theory of
a) faster than light travel
b) space battle in a universe with a
and
c) why a civilisation in a FTL world would have monarchy and nobility.

That said, Weber should have an editor that shortened his books, stopped the political excesses and avoided repeats.

But - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProtectionFromEditors

I'll give him that. Though at least one thing, at least the "good guys" in Manty politics were the Centrists and Crown Loyalists not the Conservatives like it seems to be in some books where the right wingers are the patriots and the lefties traitors.

Why is it that once you get past book 3 or 4 in a series it always seems to go downhill? With some exceptions of course.

i think the Seafort Saga by david feintuch did a good job of showing how faster that light travel could affect a society and how such a fleet could operate and there it has its fair share of backstabbing politics

Sorry for thread necromancy, but...
c) why a civilisation in a FTL world would have monarchy and nobility.
He doesn't. All three (starfaring from the get-go) monarchies we had seen in any details so far were founded like that:
1) Someone installed a "monarchy" somewhere basically because it sounded cool (Gustav Andermann, naturally, Manticore Colony Inc. original shareholders, arguably, and WEB Du Havel argument isn't that far from it.)
2)???
3) Profit! It's suddenly not just a corporation with a cool-sounding name for shares, but really monarchy...

As for the preaching... In the recent books, thanks, I suspect, to working with Eric Flint thre is less of it, not more. :) Spoiler: Almost all blunders of the liberals both Manty and Haven's were retconned as caused by Mesan sabotage in some way. Not the ideal solution, but...

What really ruined the series for me was that not only Weber got Protection From Editors, but he also got quite vocal fandom of rivet-counters. And, since unlike historical fiction, the only data are from the books themselves, they encourage him to over-explain everything. (While still stealthily moving wormhole junctions around...)

And if ANY ONE OTHER state in the Honorverse would have that idiotic "Vice-President should be from the Opposition" arrangement, I'm going to burn the offending book and post the video of the act. I don't care how convernient for plotting that is, it's moronic. Even an American conservative, who firmly doublethinks that The Framers left all sorts of hidden messages in the Constitution if it's plainly and unambiguously read by a non-activist court, should realize that for such a provision to become a law the entire legislature has to be stoned.