More 'fun' political traditions

- Newly elected Speakers of the House in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand get physically dragged to their new chair - once because the man who 'spoke' for the House would often have to say something the King wouldn't like to hear, who in turn tended to shoot the messenger. Now, they continue this only in jest. There's that, and the Sovereign's officer only known as 'Black Rod', whose job it is to announce the arrival of HM and to get the door slammed in his or her face to symbolize the independence of the legislature.

- The United States has... nothing whimsical like that aside from the Turkey pardon, but we do have a Senate desk that's been packed full of chocolate and candy since the 1960s, despite a rule against eating in the chamber. Similar to a public middle school, many of the other desks have the initials of several past and present Senators carved into them.

I'm making a more light-hearted discussion thread for once, where we can propose and imagine different political traditions and rituals involving the regular goings-on of legislatures and executives, or their elections and transitions of power. To kick it off, I offer:

In a land with a history of frequent and violent transitions of power like France or Latin America, once some political stability takes hold involving single term limits, there could emerge a tradition of black humor: the outgoing president or prime minister is marched into a public gathering or capitol building, where he stands tall until his peaceably elected successor participates in a mock firing squad of the former, who buckles at the knees or throws himself down to feign death, symbolizing the end of his power in that office.

I mean there is the segeants at arms of the house of representatives who can come over and present a huge mace to whoever is making a ruckus. Implication here being quite clear.

Do the Pope's Swiss Guard count? They seem rather fun.

- The United States has... nothing whimsical like that aside from the Turkey pardon, but we do have a Senate desk that's been packed full of chocolate and candy since the 1960s, despite a rule against eating in the chamber. Similar to a public middle school, many of the other desks have the initials of several past and present Senators carved into them.
Here's the drawer of the Democratic leader's desk:
66_00010_001_a.jpg

Last edited:
It's the 90s, the Soviet Union has collapsed, and Boris Yeltsin turns up drunk to the very first meeting of an independent Russian parliament. Very drunk.

He makes light of the situation by turning up to the next annual opening of parliament with a vodka; which he proceeds to chug. And he does this for the rest of his presidency. Putin then carries this on for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Upon being inaugurated, the President of the United States must go to the presidential bathroom and carve the words "[president name] was here" into the side of one of the toilet stalls. It is imperative that he do this as soon as possible, before he is presented the keys to the nuclear football.

The president has to buy a giant wheel of cheese and massive pitchers of rum punch for the people of DC as a consolation prize for not having voting Congressional representation.

It's the 90s, the Soviet Union has collapsed, and Boris Yeltsin turns up drunk to the very first meeting of an independent Russian parliament. Very drunk.

He makes light of the situation by he turn up to the next annual opening of parliament with a vodka; which he proceeds to chug. And he does this for the rest of his presidency. Putin then carries this on for the fun of it.
The only things that could make that more Russia would be if the president came into the opening of parliament riding a bear, holding an AK-47 and wearing one of those Russian fur hats.

Maybe it's a brain fart, but I seem to remember that during the Papal State era, the mayor of Rome had to literally kick the city's chief rabbi in the arse.

Was this an actual thing, or am I conflating several unrelated sources into a weird anti-Semitic tradition?

Some I can think of:

The Prime Minister is expected to, once a quarter, invite the Leader of the Opposition to a private dinner for just the two of them. Tradition has it that no politics is discussed; or at least, details of the discussions are never leaked. Sometimes, this is a strained formality, but over time in some other cases it has led to some surprising friendships. In a few cases, when a PM knows that the LOTO is likely to succeed him, reporters have speculated this time was used for confidential briefings and advice.

When a Prime Minister resigns, it is expected that he leaves a bottle of whiskey in the desk drawer. This bottle has been the same since 1945; and a joking tradition has it that it should only be drunk in times of grave national crisis.

Every 14th October, the Minister of Defence must visit the Tower of London and inspect the ravens there.

It's not so much 'fun', but I enjoyed HBO's depiction of the first inauguration in John Adams, where the man who swears in the president-elect says, "It is done," then shouts to the crowd, "God bless [name], President of the United States!" It makes for a nice climax, but I guess that we grew nicely into the current tradition where the Chief Justice just mumbles "Congratulations."

Last edited:
After Charles Sumner gets beaten by a cane, it becomes tradition for every congressman to bring a cane with them to congress?
So I recall from history textbooks in school, it wasn't uncommon for Congressmen to work in the chamber armed, and the incident spurred both caucuses to come packing with swords and pistols - either for fear of their own safety, as a display of solidarity with their respective side of the Mason-Dixon Line, probably both. At least the nose-thumbing aspect of it is coming back nowadays, but that's Political Chat. As for simple canes, that would definitely be a neat trinket that contributes to the character of the Senate or of both chambers.

After watching the Judge Dred movies US Supreme Court justices decide to finish each court case they get by taking turns saying "I am the law"
I had a feeling that this post were unlocking a memory.

It's not so much 'fun', but I enjoyed HBO's depiction of the first inauguration in John Adams, where the man who swears in the president-elect says, "It is done," then shouts to the crowd, "God bless [name], President of the United States!" It makes for a nice climax, but I guess that we grew nicely into the current tradition where the Chief Justice just mumbles "Congratulations."

"So help me God" isn't part of the oath. Washington added it when he was sworn in, and all others have followed suit.

That could fit the theme of the discussion.

Last edited:
The president has to buy a giant wheel of cheese and massive pitchers of rum punch for the people of DC as a consolation prize for not having voting Congressional representation.
Once Prohibition rolls around, naturally they will only offer non-alcoholic fruit punch. In the modern times, those opposed to the current ruling party will lambast supporters by pointing out they "drank the President's Kool-Aid." DC's home rule/representation/statehood activists will make a big show of boycotting the President's offering of cheese, giving the other side an opportunity to own the libs by flying across the country just for a slice of Colby.

God bless America.

Following tradition the delegate and then the first two reserve delegates of city and higher level workers councils in the Central European commonwealth are arrested and marched from the council. This happens in waves over three weeks. While it is solemn it has been the origin of political sayings “and I make four” regarding having the support to nominate at least four delegates. And of course “a living first delegate is not a betting man.”