Montenegroslavia

I think you've all forgot about one thing - The Balcan Wars(1912-3). Weaker Serbia will very likely mean no/or less Macedonia going to Serbia, instead Bulgaria might get what they wanted... or get beaten by the Ottomans. And one more thing: the "Montenegroslavia" will be more interested in Albania. So the tension between Bulgaria and Serbia-Montenegro may be completly absent from TTL. We may even see an alliance of both above mentioned states against Greece...

The Serbo-Bulgarian War of the 1880's was a pretty one-sided conflict. Serbia was very powerful and were easily favored to win. The Bulgarians had no officers above the rank of captain. Still, the Bulgarians beat the Serbians to the point that Austria-Hungary (the real facilitator of the war in the first place.

The Serbs had several problems. One, crappy generals, and no General Staff. Two, the war was unpopular; everyone knew that Serbia was acting as a proxy for Austria, and nobody wanted to die for Franz Josef. Two sub (a), attacking Bulgaria was unpopular... the Bulgarians were still seen as Slavic brothers, and their struggle against the Turks a decade earlier had aroused a lot of sympathy in Serbia. (The quarrel over Macedonia wasn't an issue yet.) And three, massive corruption in procurement -- the Serbian Army ended up with a lot of knackered horses and dud ammunition.

Under the circumstances, it's hard to imagine Serbia doing much worse!

In any case, allow me to echo everyone and say that this sociological approach to AH is very interesting. I look forward to more!

Well, thanks for the kind words. This sort of thing used to be pretty common back on soc.history.what-if (which is where I come from). Like most of Usenet, soc.history.what-if is not what it used to be, but it's still around and there are still good threads.

Anyway, I'll try to come up with another one.

Doug M.