Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

What-If Eleanor of Austria had a son with Francis I of France? Perhaps he could be a wedding night baby, born sometime in April 1531. Let's also assume the string of deaths which lead to the end of the Valois Dynasty in 1589 still occur, but this time there's another Valois branch to take the throne after the death of Henry III.

What-If Eleanor of Austria had a son with Francis I of France? Perhaps he could be a wedding night baby, born sometime in April 1531. Let's also assume the string of deaths which lead to the end of the Valois Dynasty in 1589 still occur, but this time there's another Valois branch to take the throne after the death of Henry III.
Eleanor miscarried in September 1532 meaning who we have a starting point… If she was able to carry at term is likely who the child would be born at the end of the year or at the beginning of the next one (say between November 1532 and March 1533).

I asked exactly that actually. This is a fun POD because a Valois-Habsburg king would be absolute terror of half of Europe. Now, if he also weds Elizabeth Tudor (b. 1533)...

Eleanor miscarried in September 1532 meaning who we have a starting point… If she was able to carry at term is likely who the child would be born at the end of the year or at the beginning of the next one (say between November 1532 and March 1533).
Where do you find this source that says she lost a child in 1532?

That is only one source. No other source says anything like that.
But let us say it is true she was pregnant and lost the child. If she DID birth the child successfully, and it was a healthy boy, well then this son's sons/grandsons will succeed as king of France after Claude of France's male-line descendants die out.

But let us say it is true she was pregnant and lost the child. If she DID birth the child successfully, and it was a healthy boy, well then this son's sons/grandsons will succeed as king of France after Claude of France's male-line descendants die out.
Most of sources do NOT report things like that and you need to learn to search things and select trustworthy sources. That was a pretty specific mention who has no reason for being invented.

Most of sources do NOT report things like that and you need to learn to search things and select trustworthy sources. That was a pretty specific mention who has no reason for being invented.
I searched and found NOTHING about Eleanor being pregnant by Francis whereas there is lots of info about the lost children of, say, Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn and Margaret Tudor...
That being said it is true there is no reason to invent a child that never was

I searched and found NOTHING about Eleanor being pregnant by Francis whereas there is lots of info about the lost children of, say, Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn and Margaret Tudor...
Unless you or an associate intends to claim that the child was raised somewhere in secrecy, for some reason, and the person making the claim is their descendant & thus the rightful heir... ;)

Is there any evidence whether or not Archduke/Emperor Maximilian's wife Charlotte was or was not infertile? I know IOTL the couple adopted two children (males) so Maximilian would have a successor, but I was curious if this was just by choice to have an heir quicker or if the couple for whatever reason could not conceive.

Even an amateur historian (like me) can tell you that reliance on one source (and a secondary source at that) is bad methodology.

However, for writing an alternative history, such claims are a veritable gold mine.

There is a way to resolve the issue. At the end of that blog, Abernathy lists suggestions for further reading. Presumably one of those secondary sources suggested contain the details of Eleanor’s pregnancy and perhaps a note on the primary source of information.

Of course, there is an easier fix – just contact Abernathy and politely ask her!

What would European politics like without the French Revolution? Also without the French Revolution, would there still be a high possibility of a content-wide war in Europe between 1790 and 1815 like OTL?