Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Grey Wolf

Donor
I have a vision of the Chinese tributary system developing into the fundamental basis of international law, to the extent that the court of the Son of Heaven fills the same role as our United Nations, with the Emperor not so much governing any particular country as overseeing the place where every state sends its delegates for recognition.
I had a secret Emperor/Empress of the World in one of my stories

While it's probably a not-so-good idea, would it be plausible for any to equip at least some 17th century pike regiments with handguns as sidearms? They would not carry much in the way of ammunition or powder and the handgun would be an emergency weapon or used as a one-time boost in firepower from the unit. This could begin as an armament issued to the swordsmen who formed a part of a tercio and other pike and shot type units (they sometimes had javelins OTL), although the swordsmen seem to have vanished by the time decent handguns were invented. Eventually this would evolve to the entire units carrying pistols in addition to their pike, firing them at an approaching enemy (perhaps right as the musketeers in the unit fired).

Handguns and pistols in this period were expensive but it seems feasible at least a few favored/elite units might be equipped, no? I apologize if I made a glaringly obvious error to someone who knows more than I do on this subject and equipping pikemen with handguns was common in the 17th century.

So I have been reading a bit of material for the TL that I am making and I came about a very curious incident.

So in 1836 the Russel incident happened between Great Britain and New Granada (what would eventually become Colombia and Panama) this happened because a British consul, mister John Russell, killed a Panamanian resident and was going to be sent to a trial by a local judge who also briefly took his house as property of the New Granadian state, this caused a big international scandal which nearly ended in war, with things even going as far as the Jamaican Naval Squad blockading the city of Cartagena, the incident ended when a general for the New Granada Jose Hilario Lopez bribed the captain of the ship to back off and then the president negotiated terms with Great Britain.

But What if things had gone poorly and war had started? Would the US join or would it leave the conflict be?

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
What if Robbespiere by chance fled right before his execution and went to the United States ? How would he be received by the press and popular opinion ?

Does anyone here know about the story of the 14th century Malian Mansa Muhammad ibn Gao leading an expedition into the Atlantic Ocean (and apparently never returning to Africa)? I think it would make a cool AH scenario if they reached the Americas and established a settlement there (probably somewhere in the Caribbean). Unfortunately, I suspect it would still turn out badly for the Native American peoples, as they could still receive Old World diseases even if they and the Malian colonists somehow avoided conflict.

Oh yes, I've heard of that. I think there's a few old timelines on here with that premise. There's even an EU4 achievement named after Abu Bakr II (whether or not that was the Mansa's real name). I think it would be a very interesting premise for a timeline.

I think that it would actually be better for Native American people if they received Old World diseases almost 200 years early, because it would give them more time to recover from the epidemics and get cows, horses, pigs, sheep, etc. before any European attacks. TLs with prolonged Viking settlement tend to have the Native Americans do at least marginally better for this reason. Of course, that's assuming there wouldn't be Malian attacks with the same ferocity as the European ones in OTL; I'm not sure whether that's a reasonable assumption.

Oh yes, I've heard of that. I think there's a few old timelines on here with that premise. There's even an EU4 achievement named after Abu Bakr II (whether or not that was the Mansa's real name). I think it would be a very interesting premise for a timeline.

I think that it would actually be better for Native American people if they received Old World diseases almost 200 years early, because it would give them more time to recover from the epidemics and get cows, horses, pigs, sheep, etc. before any European attacks. TLs with prolonged Viking settlement tend to have the Native Americans do at least marginally better for this reason. Of course, that's assuming there wouldn't be Malian attacks with the same ferocity as the European ones in OTL; I'm not sure whether that's a reasonable assumption.
Even if they weren't to develop a "Manifest Destiny" sort of ideology, I think getting into conflict with Native nations would be inevitable for the Malian colonists. The moment they allied with any Native communities, they would likely get dragged into conflicts with those communities' enemies. We all know the pre-Columbian New World's geopolitical scene could be every bit as messy as anywhere else in the world at that time.

That said, the 13th-century Malian technological edge over any Native armies would be smaller than that between the Natives and the Spanish in the 16th century, chiefly due to the 13th-century Malians not having any gunpowder AFAIK. What they would have buffing them up is iron weapons and horses, the latter only really being useful on smooth open terrain rather than the jungles of Central and South America. Of course, the Natives could then acquire ironworking knowledge and horses through trade with the Malians in time.

I'm mulling over what a surviving democratic republic in the New Netherlands might be like, and I'm wondering if anyone could offer any input as to what the head of state would be called. Would they use "Stadtholder", or would there be something more likely?

Any in put that anyone would care to offer would be appreciated.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'm mulling over what a surviving democratic republic in the New Netherlands might be like, and I'm wondering if anyone could offer any input as to what the head of state would be called. Would they use "Stadtholder", or would there be something more likely?

Any in put that anyone would care to offer would be appreciated.
Whilst later, the Batavian Republic might provide an answer

The head of state is basically called "The President of the Executive Council" which matches how the Spanish Prime Minister today, for example, is basically called "President of the Council"

Whilst later, the Batavian Republic might provide an answer

The head of state is basically called "The President of the Executive Council" which matches how the Spanish Prime Minister today, for example, is basically called "President of the Council"
*President of the Government.

"President of the Council of Ministers" is also used, but it is less common. The usual version in Spanish is "Presidente del Gobierno" (President of the Government).

Relic weapons are a common trope in video games, books, and films. In history, were Roman weapons that survived into the early medieval era considered more powerful or even relic weapons? Or was metallurgy not better in the Roman era compared to the early Medieval?

Relic weapons are a common trope in video games, books, and films. In history, were Roman weapons that survived into the early medieval era considered more powerful or even relic weapons? Or was metallurgy not better in the Roman era compared to the early Medieval?
I think it depends. Certainly old weapons remained useful, passed on within families. And the weapons may have gained a degree of renown over the years, this is a lucky or powerful sword, this blade was wielded by an emperor, that kind of thing. As far as actual physical qualities? I dont think late antiquity era weapons were any better or worse than on average, and honestly fighting styles developed and changed so actually its more probably that after a century or so a weapon would be worse than a new one.

I think it depends. Certainly old weapons remained useful, passed on within families. And the weapons may have gained a degree of renown over the years, this is a lucky or powerful sword, this blade was wielded by an emperor, that kind of thing. As far as actual physical qualities? I dont think late antiquity era weapons were any better or worse than on average, and honestly fighting styles developed and changed so actually its more probably that after a century or so a weapon would be worse than a new one.
Thank you for your response. So Roman weapons being better than early Medieval ones is probably not true, and any "relic" weapons were due to renown rather than better metallurgy or power.

Thank you for your response. So Roman weapons being better than early Medieval ones is probably not true, and any "relic" weapons were due to renown rather than better metallurgy or power.
Probably, though as I say any inferiority is due more to advancements and changes to how battles were fought. While there was a dip in knowledge in some places and metal quality dropped in certain regions the actual quality of the metal was not dissimilar until the latter medieval period when knowledge surpassed Roman standards.