Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

How much more of a population would Vancouver have gained had they obtained the entirety of Fraser Valley (which extends into Washington State)?

How much more of a population would Vancouver have gained had they obtained the entirety of Fraser Valley (which extends into Washington State)?
Would Vancouver even exist ITTL? New Westminster was more important and Vancouver's deeper port only matters in the 20th century. It only became important because New Westminster was deemed too close to the US border, but if there's a much more defensible border along the Coast Mountains, then there's not as much stopping New Westminster from being the main city in the region.

As for size, it would absorb Point Roberts and Blaine and a lot of unincorporated land, but probably not more than 50K more (and that's mostly because of less restrictive immigration policy and potential for rural-urban migration in that area). Bellingham at the far south of that area would still remain a distinct city and probably more important than OTL as the first town of any size over the US-Canada border.

Would Vancouver even exist ITTL? New Westminster was more important and Vancouver's deeper port only matters in the 20th century. It only became important because New Westminster was deemed too close to the US border, but if there's a much more defensible border along the Coast Mountains, then there's not as much stopping New Westminster from being the main city in the region.

As for size, it would absorb Point Roberts and Blaine and a lot of unincorporated land, but probably not more than 50K more (and that's mostly because of less restrictive immigration policy and potential for rural-urban migration in that area). Bellingham at the far south of that area would still remain a distinct city and probably more important than OTL as the first town of any size over the US-Canada border.
What kind of population would a hypothetical New Westminster (Vancouver) have if the borders were revised in the 1840s?

Last edited:
What kind of population would a hypothetical New Westminster (Vancouver) have if the borders were revised in the 1840s?
Don't have the exact stats (I know I could search by census tract), but it looks like about 25K people live in what could plausibly be considered "Metro Vancouver" (assuming the area is organized the same as OTL) south of the 49th parallel. Like I said, I don't think you'd have much more than 50K extra people total.

Don't have the exact stats (I know I could search by census tract), but it looks like about 25K people live in what could plausibly be considered "Metro Vancouver" (assuming the area is organized the same as OTL) south of the 49th parallel. Like I said, I don't think you'd have much more than 50K extra people total.
Surely whatever the Canadian government does in 150 years would have increased that tenfold, plus just how much more land Vancouver gets with that border change (almost as much land as the Los Angeles metropolitan region), perhaps a hypothetical Vancouver has a population comparable to a Japanese mega-city with the entirety of the Fraser Valley?

Last edited:
So a triple question here

Could the HRE have been centralized, either completely or become something like England, in the Mid-Late 15th Century?
Would it have made any political sense to have Kunigunde of Austria marry a Hohenzollern or would something have to be different before that happens?
How would Italy and Spain have developed if (Eastern) Roman rule didn't collapse there for at least another century or two?

Could the HRE have been centralized, either completely or become something like England, in the Mid-Late 15th Century?
It's possible for the HRE to be centralized by that time, but it requires an early POD somewhere around the time of the Staufen dynasty if not sometime before. Some would say Frederick Barbarossa already had too large of a task ahead of him to begin centralizing efforts, but it's really the circumstances surrounding his son (Henry VI) and his grandson (Frederick II) where the ball is really fumbled. Frederick II wasn't even incompetent, stupid, or malicious, but he was absentee, cut against the grain, and had ambitions that weren't to the taste of his powerful rivals. It made him a target and allowed for alternative power structures to develop in his place.

If you want the HRE centralized by the 15th century, the reigns of Henry VI (or perhaps his predecessor Henry V) have to go very differently.

Surely whatever the Canadian government does in 150 years would have increased that tenfold, plus just how much more land Vancouver gets with that border change (almost as much land as the Los Angeles metropolitan region), perhaps a hypothetical Vancouver has a population comparable to a Japanese mega-city with the entirety of the Fraser Valley?
The entire population of that area (Whatcom County) is only about 230K and most of that is in Bellingham at the far southern edge of it. Note that OTL, Abbotsford is not part of Metro Vancouver, yet is closer than Bellingham. I don't think having the entire lower Fraser under one country necessarily means much more development, given the primary industries are shipping, fishing/canning, and agriculture (evidently raspberries). And note that the cross border traffic (and all its economic implications) with the US would favour Bellingham instead of Vancouver TTL.

The population of the area in 1889 at Washington statehood BTW was 18,000 people--today it's 230,000.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Say the Mexican-American War never happens (for whatever reason you desire) and the USA's Pacific frontage is only Oregon and Washington states.

What becomes the major U.S. Pacific port that the transcontinental railroad gets built to? Does it stay the biggest U.S. Pacific port until the 20th century, or does it get overshadowed by another one, like San Francisco was by Los Angeles and Long Beach?