Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Milan was NOT part of the Crown of Aragon as was held by Philip II as his own personal possession, received as feud by the Holy Roman Emperor (in that case his own father Charles V) so like the Netherlands was NOT a possession of any of Spanish Crowns
So could a son of his rule solely Milan?

No, exactly. Which means, I think that we might actually see an earlier successon movement in the South. and if the war breaks out, following - say - the Election of 1844, I'm not sure that the Union has the strength to really win that war. I suspect in this case that a Union would maintain control of the west bank of the Mississippi (no way would be Free Louisiana join, and that's probably enough to help hold Arkansas and Missouri), but we might see a *Confederacy which controls Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Virginia, Florida, Georgia and possibly Maryland.

Are there any Southern territories that could be divided in this case to give one or two extra slave states to equal things out? Or any avenues of expansion that don't involve going to War with Mexico (because, minus Texas, THAT cause of the war is out of the picture, though I suppose something else could be manufactured)
I think you could split Mississippi and Alabama up into three states if you really tried, especially if you threw in West Florida. Something very roughly like this:

image (5).png

You might also be able to squeeze a small state out of East Tennessee, reviving the State of Franklin.

So could a son of his rule solely Milan?
Yes, but they wouldn't do that. Milan is rich, and in a strategic place in the Italian peninsula. To leave someone there alone, with the power of also being the king of spain or holy roman emperor at the same time would be a terrible decision.

Yes, but they wouldn't do that. Milan is rich, and in a strategic place in the Italian peninsula. To leave someone there alone, with the power of also being the king of spain or holy roman emperor at the same time would be a terrible decision.
What would the youngest son get to rule, then?

Was there discussion at any level about consolidating administration of Belize and/or Jamaica with that of Canada, in effect making either or both a province, in the 19th century?

@RedKing thinking well I would say who Bianca Maria Sforza is the second most useful match for Fernando after Juana la Beltraneja as she provide him with an ally who has his own interest to topple Alfonso I of Naples as soon he became King of Naples. A Fernando-Ludovico alliance could also prevent the Italian wars as Ludovico would have no reason for calling and financing the exception of Charles VIII when he has Fernando, who can do the same and invading from the sea, as ally
If Bianca marries Ferdinand, would Henry VII still dither on whether to marry Katherine to his heir (Arthur in this case) here? Or would he see the chance for an alliance with Castile, Aragon and Portugal and have the two marry on schedule.

If Bianca marries Ferdinand, would Henry VII still dither on whether to marry Katherine to his heir (Arthur in this case) here? Or would he see the chance for an alliance with Castile, Aragon and Portugal and have the two marry on schedule.
The Arthur-Catherine wedding will likely go ahead as planned and is unlikely who Feranndi will require the deaths of Warwick and Perkin for sending Catherine in England. Still if Arthur died and Catherine claimed to be still virgin and Elizabeth of York died as OTL is probable who Catherine will remarry to Henry VII.
In OTL Catherine and Arthur’s wedding had zero troubles from the English side, the problems started withg her remarriage plans

Last edited:
How could you have French Brazil (Equinoctial France) survive past 1615? Note, this is not the same as France Antarctique given its location in Northern Brazil instead of Southern Brazil and it was settled by mostly Catholics.

The Arthur-Catherine wedding will likely go ahead as planned and is unlikely who Feranndi will require the deaths of Warwick and Perkin for sending Catherine in England. Still if Arthur died and Catherine claimed to be still virgin and Elizabeth of York died as OTL is probable who Catherine will remarry to Henry VII.
In OTL Catherine and Arthur’s wedding had zero troubles from the English side, the problems started withg her remarriage plans
And what if Elizabeth DIDN'T die as IOTL? Would she be allowed to return to Spain?

And what if Elizabeth DIDN'T die as IOTL? Would she be allowed to return to Spain?
Elizabeth was the one most advocating for Catherine. She made her one of her ladies in waiting to make sure she had a place at court.
Katherine would be sent back as soon her father sent a ship for her as Ferdinand is NOT in a position to bully Henry VII in agreeing to the wedding between Henry of Wales and Katherine,

I have just one question: the Bourbon-Parma, having been dispossessed of the Duchy of Parma, could they have, in compensation, acceded to the throne of Greece in 1830? Would they have agreed to convert to Orthodoxy?

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
AHC: A Spanish-American war between the Treaty of Paris, 1783, and the French revolutionaries declaration of war on Spain in 1792.

VVD0D95

Banned
What would the consequences be if it came out during the exclusion crisis thay the exclusionists were being funded by France?

What would the consequences be if it came out during the exclusion crisis thay the exclusionists were being funded by France?
I do not know very well that period, but an huge scandal is guaranteed and Louis XIV would surely bitter regret his interference…

Would the Neanderthals have survived as distinctive humans if they would have had a greater Fertility and better child survival, thus larger and more groups (proto-tribes) and thus a chance for less inbreeding ?

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about Canadian political history? I'm curious what, in general, side of the political spectrum the Anti-Confederation Party in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick would sit on. That party will not exist in my TL, and I am curious if the party aligned more generally with Conservatives, Liberals, or Liberal-Conservatives.