Minerva ante portas! A Roman Scientific Revolution

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
And to be honest the some of my orginal ideas/title for the timeline were a tad bit too ambitious.

Oh, now I'm very curious. What was the original plan?

For examplewhile I read Heron's treaty on pneumatics. looking for his idea of the void/vacuum.

Yes, I can only recommend reading Heron (or any other ancient scientific treaty or book).

"Again, one light traverses another; for, when several lamps are lightcd, all objects are brilliantly illuminated, the rays passing in every direction through each other. And indeed it is possible to penetrate through bronze, iron, and all other bodies, as is seen in the instance of the marine torpedo

What does that mean? Honestly, I don't understand it. Which machine is Heron describing with these words?

Oh, now I'm very curious. What was the original plan?
Yes, I can only recommend reading Heron (or any other ancient scientific treaty or book).
What does that mean? Honestly, I don't understand it. Which machine is Heron describing with these words?

1. The Original Plan

The original plan was an industrial revolution powered by electricity but things got bogged down quickly in the first few posts. The basic criticism is that in order to scale up things like wire drawing, etc. you first need a classical industrial revolution with water, steam and textiles. I think this is a reasonable assumption but feels a bit to conventional for my personal taste. Although it looks that you yourself got some great ideas about the topic. So there I was give up on the idea or tone down the wackiness.
Instead I chose the third option. While an industrial revolution is out of bounds for now, individual ruler sponsoring natural philosopher, maybe the establishment of research heavy schools/universities isn't that far off. So in this timeline we have a world that knows incredible much about the nature of the world, but is still completely backwards economically. Now sooner or later somehow the industrial revolution is going to kick in but there are three ideas I have to make it a bit more interesting. I put them in spoiler tags for those who want to be surprised but I can’t guarantee that his is the actual direction the timeline is going to take.

Capitalist Monks
I watched the German documentary Das Imperium der weißen Mönche/ The Empire of the White Monks
how the Cistercians were basically turbo capitalist completly restructering the mediveal world in a few centuries. Something also explained in Religious Orders and Growth through Cultural Change in Pre-Industrial England a freely available historical study.
"We hypothesize that cultural appreciation of hard work and thrift, the "Protestant ethic" according to Max Weber, had a pre-Reformation origin. The proximate source of these values was, according to the proposed theory, the Catholic Order of Cistercians. In support, we document that the Cistercians influenced comparative regional development across English counties, even after the monasteries were dissolved in the 1530s. Moreover, we find that the values emphasized by Weber are comparatively morepervasive in regions where Cistercian monasteries were found historically. Pre-industrial development in England may thus have been propelled by a process of growth through cultural change."

The twist is that these monks aren't christian catholics but a epicurean buddhistst.

The More The Merrier
There won't be one eternal Roman empire but at least three.

Chemistry before Textile Mills
Chemistry in form of modern soap making developed in parallel to the machine based industrial revolution. Here "chemistry manufacturies" gets a bit of a head start.

Also in Consideration
Something, something Sweet sorghum mills something

2. The Rest of Heron's quote:

He is making an argument for the existance of the void between atoms. Here is the full quote:

"Again, that void spaces exist may be seen from the following considerations: for, if there were not such spaces, neither light, nor heat nor any other material force could penetrate through water, or air, or any body whatever. How could the rays of the sun, for example, penetrate through water to the bottom of the vessel? If there were no pores in the fluid, and the rays thrust the water aside by force, the consequence would be that full vessels would overflow, which however does not take place. Again, if the rays thrust the water aside by force, it would not be found that some were reflected while others penetrated below; but now all those rays that impinge upon the particles of the water are driven back, as it were, and reflected, while those that come in contact with the void spaces, meeting with but few particles, penetrate to the bottom of the vessel. It is clear, too, that void spaces exist in water from this, that, when wine is poured into water, it is seen to spread itself through every part of the water, which it would not do if there were no vacua in the water. Again, one light traverses another; for, when several lamps are lightcd, all objects are brilliantly illuminated, the rays passing in every direction through each other. And indeed it is possible to penetrate through bronze, iron, and all other bodies, as is seen in the instance of the marine torpedo."

I just loved the unexpected mentioning of torpedo fish in this context.

3. Two New Chapters Added !!!

I added two more chapters on the discovery of electricity giving an idea what happened between the inital discovery and Cleopatra's own time.

The Fall of Aristotle and The Rise of the Minervaeum II
The Fall of Aristotle and The Rise of the Minervaeum II

Vitruvius and the Universal Theory of Gravity

“I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I still seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.”

Vitruvius laughed, certainly not what his audience expected.

“But why do I chose the image of the beach? Three reasons, three people or more precisely three works we will discuss, before you honored guests all relating to the sea. Last one my newest and most likely final works!”

Unintentionally but certainly to impressive dramatic effect, he began to cough heavily. His time on this curious earth really was limited after all. And just when he began to understand it. Well, nothing he could do about that, he should know better to strain his health by acting overly theatrical. After all, if his latest work didn't impress, no rethoric trick would ever come close.

“First we need to recall Archimedes of Syracus’s work on the size of the universe.”

The Sand Reckoner of Archimedes

"There are some, King Gelon, who think that the number of the sand is infinite in multitude; and I mean by the sand not only that which exists about Syracuse and the rest of Sicily but also that which is found in every region whether inhabited or uninhabited. Again there are some who, without regarding it as infinite, yet think that no number has been named which is great enough to exceed its multitude. And it is clear that they who hold this view, if they imagined a mass made up of sand in other respects as large as the mass of the earth, including in it all the seas and the hollows of the earth filled up to a height equal to that of the highest of the mountains, would be many times further still from recognizing that any number could be expressed which exceeded the multitude of the sand so taken. But I will try to show you by means of geometrical proofs, which you will be able to follow, that, of the numbers named by me and given in the work which I sent to Zeuxippus, some exceed not only the number of the mass of sand equal in magnitude to the earth filled up in the way described, but also that of a mass equal in magnitude to the universe.

Now you are aware that 'universe' is the name given by most astronomers to the sphere whose centre is the centre of the earth and whose radius is equal to the straight line between the centre of the sun and the centre of the earth. This is the common account , as you have heard from astronomers. But Aristarchus of Samos brought out a book consisting of some hypotheses, in which the premisses lead to the result that the universe is many times greater than that now so called. His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the sun remain unmoved, that the earth revolves about the sun in the circumference of a circle, the sun lying in the middle of the orbit, and that the sphere of the fixed stars, situated about the same centre as the sun, is so great that the circle in which he supposes the earth to revolve bears such a proportion to the distance of the fixed stars as the centre of the sphere bears to its surface.

Now it is easy to see that this is impossible; for, since the centre of the sphere has no magnitude, we cannot conceive it to bear any ratio whatever to the surface of the sphere. We must however take Aristarchus to mean this: since we conceive the earth to be, as it were, the centre of the universe, the ratio which the earth bears to what we describe as the 'universe' is the same as the ratio which the sphere containing the circle in which he supposes the earth to revolve bears to the sphere of the fixed stars. For he adapts the proofs of his results to a hypothesis of this kind, and in particular he appears to suppose the magnitude of the sphere in which he represents the earth as moving to be equal to what we call the 'universe. I say then that, even if a sphere were made up of the sand, as great as Aristarchus supposes the sphere of the fixed stars to be, I shall still prove that, of the numbers named in the Principles, some exceed in multitude the number of the sand which is equal in magnitude to the sphere referred to, provided that the following assumptions be made…”

Vitruvius Interlude

“When I was younger, I was mostly interested in his practical work on siege engines, but now that I have fought my battles for Roman glory, build our machines of conquest, the time came for me to expand into new frontiers, to conquer the world with my mind. And as our empire expands so should our knowledge. A friend who shares this attitude is Strabo of Pontus. We discussed some interesting observations of the nature of the tides.”

QTuP4r3.jpg

Statue of Strabo in his hometown Amaseia

Strabo and the Early History of Tides

Strabo was a Greek geographer, philosopher, and historian who lived in Asia Minor during the transitional period of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire. Strabo was born to an affluent family from Amaseia in Pontus a city that he said was situated the approximate equivalent of 75 km from the Black Sea. Pontus had recently fallen to the Roman Republic, and although politically he was a proponent of Roman imperialism, Strabo belonged on his mother's side to a prominent family whose members had held important positions under the resisting regime of King Mithridates VI of Pontus.

Strabo's life was characterized by extensive travels. He journeyed to Egypt and Kush, as far west as coastal Tuscany and as far south as Ethiopia in addition to his travels in Asia Minor and the time he spent in Rome. Travel throughout the Mediterranean and Near East, especially for scholarly purposes, was popular during this era and was facilitated by the relative peace enjoyed throughout the reign of Augustus.

Strabo is most notable for his work "Geographika") which presented a descriptive history of people and places from different regions of the world known to his era. Although Strabo cited the antique Greek astronomers Eratosthenes and Hipparchus, acknowledging their astronomical and mathematical efforts towards geography, he claimed that a descriptive approach was more practical, such that his works were designed for statesmen who were more anthropologically than numerically concerned with the character of countries and regions. Still, he never stop being fascinated by the tides.

About 330 B.C. the Greek astronomer and explorer Pytheas made a long voyage, sailing from the western part of the Mediterranean Sea (where he lived in a Greek colony) to the British Isles. Observing the great ocean tides there, he made a fundamental discovery: The tides were in some way controlled by the Moon. This discovery can be considered the starting point of tidal research; it was published in Pytheas' "On the Ocean", now lost but quoted by other antique authors. Pytheas discovered not only that there were two high tides per lunar day, but also that the amplitude depended on the phases of the Moon.

The Greek scientists could not observe the tides at home because of their insignificance there. Nevertheless, around 150 BCE, the astronomer Seleucus of Seleucia found out that the two tides per day had unequal amplitudes when the Moon was far from the equator; this is what we today call the diurnal inequality. Seleucus was able to detect this phenomenon because his observations were made at the Red Sea, this being, according to modern tidal analyses, one of the few ocean areas where the diurnal inequality is relatively pronounced. The Greek scientist Poseidonios devoted a part of one of his written works to a review of the tidal knowledge of his time, including some of his own studies made at the Atlantic coast of Hispania around 100 BCE.

Strabon in his impressive book "Geographika" collected all these Idea and occasionally added upon them. He wrote for example: “When the moon rises above the horizon to the extent of a zodiacal sign [30°], the sea begins to swell, and perceptibly invades the land until the moon is in the meridian; but when the heavenly body has begun to decline, the sea retreats again, little by little; then invades the land again until the moon reaches the meridian below the earth; then retreats until the moon, moving round towards her risings, is a sign distant from the horizon. The flux and reflux become greatest about the time of the conjunction [new moon], and then diminish until the half-moon; and, again, they increase until the full moon and diminish again until the waning half-moon. If the moon is in the equinoctial signs [zero declination], the behavior of the tides is regular, but, in the solstitial signs [maximum declination], irregular, in respect both to amount and to speed, while, in each of the other signs, the relation is in proportion to the nearness of the moon's approach.”

He added that: “There is a spring at the [temple of] Heracleium at Gades, with a descent of only a few steps to the water (which is good to drink), and the spring behaves inversely to the flux and reflux of the sea, since it fails at the time of the flood-tides and fills up at the time of the ebb-tides”

This passage on reversed tides in a well is a remarkable one since it represents, in fact, the first observations of earth tides in the form of tidal strain. Although the phenomenon in the well had been known for a long time it appears that Poseidonios was the first scientist to study it, during his above-mentioned scientific travel to Hispania. Poseidonios, while admitting that "the ebb-tide often occurs at the particular time of the well's fullness", did not believe that it really had anything to do with the tides. Strabon, however, discussing the problem in detail, arrives at the conclusion that the phenomenon somehow must be a tidal one.

Vitruvius Interlude

“Now this question the question remains, how does the moon influence the sea or for that matter the fiendishly contrarian little well in Hispania? The answer of course is gravitational attraction, a subject that I have explored quite a bit.”

Despite his outward humbleness he obviously knew that he was one of the greatest contributor to the understanding of gravity in the known world. What kept him grounded however were precisely the little mysterious like the well of Gades, who’s behavior still didn’t fit in his new framework.

Notes and Sources

As you might have guessed from the borrowed quote in the beginning in this timeline Vitruvius is going to be their version of Galileo as well as Newton, although with a bit less math and a lot more tinkering.

As mentioned earlier he also was fascinated with the phenomenon of tides.A Concise History of the Theoreis of Tides Precession-Nutation and Polar Motion(From Antiquity to 1950) by Martin Ekman

The Sand Reckoner of Archimedes translated by Thomas L. Heath (Original publication: Cambridge University Press, 1897).

wikipedia: Strabo etc.

People

Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (79 BCE, c. 11 BCE) - In this timeline
Strabo (64 or 63 BCE – c. 24 ACE)

Last edited:
Cleopatra – The Queen of Enlightenment (VI)
Cleopatra – The Queen of Enlightenment (VI)

Two different Travelogues

"So, Memmius told me you wanted to learn more about Epicurus?" Lucretius asked the little girl in front of him trying to gauge her, finding an answer to the actual question what his patron and friend Gaius saw in her.

Cleo squeaked out a shy "Yes", and felt oddly awkward. She didn’t have much of a problem dealing with important or self-important people, growing up at the court of a major power helped in that regard. But talking to people that were actually important to her, that was an entirely different situation.

“Why don’t we start with your travel here frist, before we get to the more serious stuff? I am always in for a good traveling account.”

“Well, …….and than we, were running with the wind, tacking through the swells along a rugged shoreline. Directly ahead was a narrow channel that would allow us to sail between Silicy and Italy into the Tyrrhenian Sea. the water was extremely rough. The sailors were terrified, crying to their gods Castor and Pollux. They believed that the whirlpool Charybdis was there, the one that pulls ships to the bottom of the ocean. You know as Homer himself wrote it down.Before I had time to work myself into a fright, we had sailed through, and there was Italy on our starboard side. Oh, I thanked Isis a thousand times for our safe passage. I prayed upon her to guide me in this foreign land. But instead I found you,… I mean Epicurus. It is all so weird. Were was I a yes Italy...”

A bit too honest for a future ruler but certainly a charming little girl Lucretius thought. He also noticed that she certainly saw the world with very curious eyes, and essential requirement for anyone willing to dive deeper into the teachings of Epicurus. Still, reading his words and understanding them were two very different things.

I wander afield, thriving in sturdy thought,
Through unpathed haunts of the Pierides,
Trodden by step of none before. I joy
To come on undefiled fountains there,
To drain them deep; I joy to pluck new flowers,
To seek for this my head a signal crown
From regions where the Muses never yet
Have garlanded the temples of a man:
First, since I teach concerning mighty things,
And go right on to loose from round the mind
The tightened coils of dread religion;

Next, since, concerning themes so dark, I frame
Song so pellucid, touching all throughout
Even with the Muses' charm- which, as 'twould seem,
Is not without a reasonable ground:
For as physicians, when they seek to give
Young boys the nauseous wormwood, first do touch
The brim around the cup with the sweet juice
And yellow of the honey, in order that

The thoughtless age of boyhood be cajoled
As far as the lips, and meanwhile swallow down
The wormwood's bitter draught, and, though befooled,
Be yet not merely duped, but rather thus
Grow strong again with recreated health:
So now I too (since this my doctrine seems
In general somewhat woeful unto those
Who've had it not in hand, and since the crowd
Starts back from it in horror) have desired
To expound our doctrine unto thee in song
Soft-speaking and Pierian, and, as 'twere,
To touch it with sweet honey of the Muse-
If by such method haply I might hold
The mind of thee upon these lines of ours,
Till thou dost learn the nature of all things
And understandest their utility.

“As much as I’d love to hear your first impression of my home. I think this is actually a good starting point for our first lesson, if you will.”

“Sure, sure.” Cleo replied, very unsure about herself and a bit afraid she might have bored her teacher.

“You know there is a reason I love listening so much to people tell of their travels, it says a lot about them. And you certainly have a knack for vivid story telling. Your fathers talents for poetry certainly were lost on you. But let me tell the story of another restless traveler who had to leave his land of birth. Have you ever heard of Diagoras "the Atheist" of Melos?

Diagoras was the son of Telecleides or Teleclytus, and was born in the island of Melos, one of the Cyclades. According to the Suda, he was a disciple of Democritus after Democritus had paid 10,000 drachmas to free Diagoras from captivity following the cruel subjugation of Melos (416 BC) by Athen. In his youth Diagoras had acquired some reputation as a lyric poet. Among his lyrical accomplishments were a beautiful and on his former lover Nicodorus. Nicodorus was a statsmen of Mantineia who wrote, with some assistance of Diagoras, one of the most well thought out constitutions in the ancient world. A a few years later, 416 BCE, he was accused of impiety, and he thought it best to escape Athens to avoid prosecution, and there was quite a reward for either catching or killing him.

From their perspective they had good reasons. He revealed the secret rituals of the Eleusinian mystery religion to everyone and "thus made them ordinary," that is, he purposefully demystified a cherished secret rite, apparently to provoke his contemporaries into thought. How, if you know the way to salvation, can you justify keeping it a secret from your fellow men? He also made firewood of an image of Herakles, telling the god thus to perform his thirteenth labour by cooking turnips.

The origin of his skepticism was twofold. He declared that the non-punishment of a certain act of iniquity proved that there were no Gods. It has been surmised, with some reason, that the iniquity in question was the slaughter of the Melians by the Athenians in 416 B.C I mentioned earlier.

Thanks to Democritus he also had learned that the world doesn’t need the Gods intervention to work as it does. Everything can be explained in terms of atomic movements. Now he went a bit far denying the Gods existence wholesale but many of his questions are still valid. And her we come back to the traveling part of the story.

Once a a friend pointed out an expensive display of votive gifts at a temple and said, "You think the gods have no care for man? Why, you can see from all these votive pictures here how many people have escaped the fury of storms at sea by praying to the gods who have brought them safe to harbor." To which Diagoras replied, "Yes, indeed, but where are the pictures of all those who suffered shipwreck and perished in the waves?"

A good question. Diagoras was indicted for profaning the mysteries, but escaped. A search was out for him throughout the Athenian empire, which indicated that the charges were serious, but he was never found mocking his tormentors by just living a long happy life.”

And here our first lesson shall end. Don’t subscribe to fortune or the will of the Gods either your misery or success. Its simply the a concert of human action and a few, perfectly natural accidents here and there that determine the circumstances of our life. There will come times when you feel really sick and lost, when seeking the motherly embrace of Isis, may promise salvation, but in those time its most important to swallow the bitter medicine of natural truth for it is the only lasting cure.

Notes and Sources

(1) The Eleusinian Mysteries were initiations held every year for the cult of Demeter and Persephone based at Eleusis in ancient Greece. The mysteries represented the myth of the abduction of Persephone from her mother Demeter by the king of the underworld Hades, in a cycle with three phases, the "descent" (loss), the "search" and the "ascent", with the main theme the "ascent" of Persephone and the reunion with her mother. It was a major festival during the Hellenic era, and later spread to Rome

wikipedia
Lucretius, De Rerum Natura (William Ellery Leonard, Ed)
Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C. (The Royal Diaries) by Kristiana Gregory

People
Cleopatra VII Philopator (69 BCE – 30 BCE)
Diagoras of Melos (5th century BCE)
Gaius Memmius (??? - 49 BCE) (Tribuni Plebis/Tribune of the Plebs 66 BCE)

Last edited:

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
I have some ideas for the further technological development:
1. Build a electrostatic generator to be able to study electricity
1. Experiments to determine the best electrical conductor
2. Further experiments with lodestones - to build first compasses and promote explorations, and then study electromagnetism and build the first electric generators and electric motors.
3. Some may say that you can't produce electricity without a steam engine, but you can use wind and water mills to achieve it. Rome could industrialize without steam, just using electric power provided by wind power and hydropower. Romans don't need barrages or rivers for their water mills, instead they did use aqueducts to conduct water to their mills. This would be a very ecological way to industrialize.
4. One problem for further uses of electric power is the lack of isolation.
5. Telegraphs are a perfect field of application for early electric power.

Eventually all of this new technology is going to cause major changes, right off the bat the telegraph will probably lead to a complete change in the way roman territory is governed within a few decades, but the lack of railroads that came with it IOTL will allow for outlying areas to retain their autonomy.

I might have missed it, but have you mentioned the printing press anywhere? with a telegraph and the like eventually there will be so much information coming into the capital that handwriting won't be enough, and the idea behind it isn't that complicated, the issue is just having someone think of it and get enough resources to try it.

Also, using water and wind power could allow for more advanced metal making processes to be developed, which could solve the issues preventing practical steam engines in a few centuries instead of more than a millenia, but that is likely outside the scope of this story.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
but the lack of railroads that came with it IOTL will allow for outlying areas to retain their autonomy.

Who says that there will be no railroads? Building rails will be quite complicated (wrought iron rails were used IOTL), but the railways can very much be propelled by electricity. Only five decades seperate the Rocket from Siemen's electric locomotive.
Also, telegraph itself will greatly reduce local autonomy, even without railroads. Rome will be able to quickly react to invasions and usurpations, which will the Romans a strong advantage against the Persians and the Barbarians.

Who says that there will be no railroads? Building rails will be quite complicated (wrought iron rails were used IOTL), but the railways can very much be propelled by electricity. Only five decades seperate the Rocket from Siemen's electric locomotive.
Also, telegraph itself will greatly reduce local autonomy, even without railroads. Rome will be able to quickly react to invasions and usurpations, which will the Romans a strong advantage against the Persians and the Barbarians.

Oh yeah, forewarning and easy transfer of information will make it a massive advantage, especially since it means troops can be dispatched much faster to react to incursions, which will work with their dominance of the Med to allow them superior interior lines against an invading force, but men and horses can only move so quickly, even with ships, without railroads

Also, I was under the impression that electrical railroads were much more difficult and expensive to build and maintain then steam ones, which could seriously delay their rollout in large sections. I can easily see an electric rail line from Rome to Ostia, but one across Gaul would probably take much more industrial developments just to allow the Roman State to afford it.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Also, I was under the impression that electrical railroads were much more difficult and expensive to build and maintain then steam ones, which could seriously delay their rollout in large sections. I can easily see an electric rail line from Rome to Ostia, but one across Gaul would probably take much more industrial developments just to allow the Roman State to afford it.

Steam locomotives need a gigantic amount of infrastructure to work, just as much as electric railways. Water towers are needed every 100 miles or so, and coal too needs to be reloaded in regular intervals. Also, electric locomotives are way more efficient than steam or diesel engines, so in the long run it's cheaper to build them. Remember that @ComradeHuxley is exploring a different industrialization where steam is way less important than electricity.

Steam locomotives need a gigantic amount of infrastructure to work, just as much as electric railways. Water towers are needed every 100 miles or so, and coal too needs to be reloaded in regular intervals. Also, electric locomotives are way more efficient than steam or diesel engines, so in the long run it's cheaper to build them. Remember that @ComradeHuxley is exploring a different industrialization where steam is way less important than electricity.

I'm just saying, the difficulties of running enough power to run the train through either wires or the track is an additional expense and maintaining the current over the distances involved would require a massive number of advancements that have not yet been made and most likely will take a while to develop naturally, there is no "Electricity for dummys" book here, and without the knowledge base of modern society making the leap from what they have to electric railroads from what they have would take a long time, possibly centuries. Again, electric trains are definitely where they will go unless they have some sort of miracle that lets them build reliable steam engines, but without massive advancements it will mainly be small scale lines that support the existing network of roads and sea routes instead of being the transport backbone of the empire.

Quiet some stuff to shift trough:

1. Electricity
There are many interesting experiments that have and will occur. The fact that lodestones react to moving pneuma is already known. What is missing are the details and how to "squeeze" it out.

2. Locomotives
On the topic of electric locomotives in OTL:

The first known electric car was built in 1837 by chemist Robert Davidson of Aberdeen. It was powered by galvanic cells (batteries). Davidson later built a larger locomotive named Galvani, exhibited at the Royal Scottish Society of Arts Exhibition in 1841. The seven-ton vehicle had two direct-drive reluctance motors, with fixed electromagnets acting on iron bars attached to a wooden cylinder on each axle, and simple commutators. It hauled a load of six tons at four miles per hour for a distance of one and a half miles. It was tested on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway in September of the following year, but the limited power from batteries prevented its general use. It was destroyed by railway workers, who saw it as a threat to their security of employment (wikipedia).

Then there is a long and interesting discussion on wooden rails and horses here:
Roman Semaphore Lines and Horse Drawn Cars

But I am not sure if and what role these thing will play in this timeline.

3. Paper and Printing Press
Both will be invented in China as OTL and will (probably) slowly find their way into the Roman Empire via a more advanced Parthian Empire.

4. Steam and OTL Industrialization
I’ll do my best to avoid simply following the path of OTL.

5. Telegraph
Rather than the telegraph network of OTL we will (again probably) see something akin to the Newton Radio in cerberus similar named timeline. If not for any other reason than as an homage on the first creative “radical technology POD” I have ever read.

6. Isolation Material/African Rubber
As the title says African rubber is going to reach the Egypt through Garamantian traders.

7. Future of the timeline
But again the timeline is work in progress so anything can change. Except them premise of diverging form OTL industrialization/scientific revolution.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Both will be invented in China as OTL and will (probably) slowly find their way into the Roman Empire via a more advanced Parthian Empire.

A competition situation between Parthia and Rome might be interesting. Rome using water power, while Parthia stick to wind power (less rivers/waters than Rome). But don't forget that Parthia is a feudal state with frequent civil wars, so development will happen on a local base mostly, with quite a lot differences between the different kingdoms and satrapies.

What could happen though is that a Christian or Jewish scientists flees from Roman persecution and sells his knowledge to the Parthian Empire.

I’ll do my best to avoid simply following the path of OTL.

Another option you could use is the Stirling Engine. It uses the expansion of gas (or simply air), just like Hero's temple doors and thus could be conceivable already in ancient times. Also, solar energy (gained from solar mirrors) could be used to provide the heat required by the engine. Thus, stirling engines could be used for various purposes in hot regions.

Another option you could use is the Stirling Engine. It uses the expansion of gas (or simply air), just like Hero's temple doors and thus could be conceivable already in ancient times. Also, solar energy (gained from solar mirrors) could be used to provide the heat required by the engine. Thus, stirling engines could be used for various purposes in hot regions.

I actually explored the idea of an industrial revolution powered by Stirling engines in my timeline Ex Oriente Lux: An industrialized China. But his time I wanted to do something different, although the Stirling engines were powered by coal/natural gas not sunlight.

As for the fate of Parthia, it is still on the drawing board. But for now this OTL might become relevant:

Tiridates III of Parthia , ruled the Parthian Empire briefly in 35–36. He was the grandson of Phraates IV. He was sent to Rome as a hostage and was educated there.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
I actually explored the idea of an industrial revolution powered by Stirling engines in my timeline Ex Oriente Lux: An industrialized China. But his time I wanted to do something different, although the Stirling engines were powered by coal/natural gas not sunlight.

Oh, I forgot that you wrote this TL. Sure, it's not my TL so do what you want. But you could include it as a competitor of electricity, just for the sake of realism.

Tiridates III of Parthia , ruled the Parthian Empire briefly in 35–36. He was the grandson of Phraates IV. He was sent to Rome as a hostage and was educated there.

That sounds fun. Love your ideas.