Military Gear that should have seen service

I'm sorry, I was refering to the 1/2 Million Ton Ultra-Uber Battleship with 100 16-inch guns (that's 50 twin turrets) and was supposed to go 42 knots!!!

...how do you get something that can serve Home Fleet its ass on a platter single-handedly running 10 knots faster then Scharnhorst?

To be honest, I could understand USS Carl Vinson and USS John C. Stennis - both were great friends of the Navy in their time. USS Ronald Reagan I could understand too. But George H.W. Bush and USS Gerald R. Ford? Please. Bush was a one-term president and a former CIA spook, Ford was a guy who almost never became President and only got there because his boss and his predeccessor both resigned in disgrace.

And I'm already on that petition, and I do think that we've seen the last scrapped CVs and CVNs - the law doesn't allow such ships to be scrapped abroad, and nobody could scrap something the size of those here. Independence was cannibalized for parts, but I expect the others will all eventually become museums.

Excuse me?

George HW Bush actually was a Naval Aviator and Jerry Ford served aboard USS Monterey (CVL-26). Both deserving of having a carrier named after them if you consider that they both served on carriers and had been President. Much better than Vinson and Stennis.

As for disposal, you forget SINKEX.

A ship being a museum ship doesn't stop its name from being re-used.
USS Texas, B35 is a memorial.

USS Texas, CGN 39--Virginia class cruiser
USS Texas, SSN 775, Virginia class attack submarine.

USS Alabama, BB 60 is a museum ship. USS Alabama, SSBN 731 is an Ohio class missile submarine.

USS North Carolina, BB 55 is a museum ship. USS North Carolina, SSN 777 is a new Virginia class attack sub.

USS Constitution is a special case. She was never stricken from the naval register, and the same name can not be used on two naval vessels at the same time. When a Lexington class battlecruiser was to be named USS Constitution, the grand original was temporarily named "Old Constitution." She got her name back after the battlecruiser program was cancelled.

The other ships aren't a problem, as they are no longer part of the navy,

Add USS Missouri BB 63 a museum ship at Pearl Harbor & USS Missouri SSN 780 currently under construction.

How can you possibly have a system where you take the dregs of society, (and I'm not even going to wonder why these people find themselves in such a poor position), and happily accept them into the military becuase they don't want to go to jail (yes that's how you spell it!), give them six weeks of basic, a gun and a broom, and expect anythying good to come of it?

Others have addressed some of this, but Marine Corps Recruit Training is thirteen weeks, not six weeks.

:D

And, of course, many of those of us who served in the US military had far more extensive training after Basic. I went to BEE, ET-A, Nuclear Power School, Nuclear Power Prototype, ETMS, LMET and ET-C7, all but the last three before I ever saw the fleet, during my time in. NPS, NPPT and ET-C7 were each about half a year long.

Cook

Banned
The LAVI multi - role fighter.

A victim of politics, plain and simple.

A magificent aircraft, and as capable as the newest F 16s of the mid 80s.

I thought the Lavi died because it went from the initial idea of a cheap, low budget fighter to being a multirole duplicate of the F-16 with the same price tag?

Given that an aircraft developed in Israel is not going to have a large production run to offset development costs, the individual aircraft are always going to be expensive aren’t they?

glowjack

Banned
Considering obama's recent health care bill I find it very disgusting that alot of people are willing to spend money on the military to protect their citizen's health (if its not just a lie for coporate ,ideological , and self-gain purposes) by killing others but won't spend the money to keep its citizens alive.

WTF?!

The military should not even exist, its a self-justified existance, it exists only because others exist. It demands the most intelligent and capable youth of the human race to spend their energies killing each other, it has no economical gain for the human race except for one group to gain some at massive expense to another.

They always ask you to die for your country, but that's some nice emotional BS, they want you to kill "enemies" indiscriminately, dieing just happens to be glorified side effect.

WTF?!

The military should not even exist, its a self-justified existance, it exists only because others exist. It demands the most intelligent and capable youth of the human race to spend their energies killing each other, it has no economical gain for the human race except for one group to gain some at massive expense to another.

I'm guessing your trolling or trying to start a flame war. So my logical answer to your post is this.

Nations shall always need militaries. The history of humanity has made it clear that conflict will be a considerable part of our future. As such nations need to be able to defend themselves and if necessary deal with those who threaten us or our Allies.

They always ask you to die for your country, but that's some nice emotional BS, they want you to kill "enemies" indiscriminately, dieing just happens to be glorified side effect.

No as Patton said the objective of war is to make the OTHER DUMB SOB DIE FOR HIS COUNTRY!

Cook

Banned
Having read your rant I doubt you are looking for a serious answer Glowjack, but I joined a defence force that has never asked its young men and women to die for their country and goes to great expense to provide them with the skills and equipment to keep them alive.
And they are very specific about whom they want killed, never “indiscriminate”.

Do try to have a nice day dickhead.
:)

Cook

Banned
I love the idea but wouldn't such platforms be vulnerable to Anti-Satellite missiles?

It’s also been proposed to use a suborbital missile or high altitude stealth bomber to deliver them.
The later doesn’t have the same kinetic energy but because they have a very love cross sectional area they reach an extremely high velocity before impact, and have almost zero radar section so it’s a stealthy attack.

backstab

Banned
Considering obama's recent health care bill I find it very disgusting that alot of people are willing to spend money on the military to protect their citizen's health (if its not just a lie for coporate ,ideological , and self-gain purposes) by killing others but won't spend the money to keep its citizens alive.

WTF?!

Jeeze .... not another one. Dem evol army men are trying to control da world ... quick lets all hold hands and sing kum-by-ya. Dat will scare them away :mad:

backstab

Banned
Having read your rant I doubt you are looking for a serious answer Glowjack, but I joined a defence force that has never asked its young men and women to die for their country and goes to great expense to provide them with the skills and equipment to keep them alive.
And they are very specific about whom they want killed, never “indiscriminate”.

Do try to have a nice day dickhead.
:)

Watch out Cooky ... otherwise I'll come over your way and trample you with the boot of Military oppression !:D

quote:
"They always ask you to die for your country, but that's some nice emotional BS, they want you to kill "enemies" indiscriminately, dieing just happens to be glorified side effect. "

Glowjack your a troll insinuating that Military Persons are nothing but mindless indicrimante killers Ill have you know I have never killed anyone who wasnt trying to kill me nor have any of my troops. By he way the avg pre-deployment training cycle can last up to 16 monhs for some specialties. Even the avg Infantryman in the US Army recieves 18 weeks of training before he graduates to a operational unit were he can expect to train an additional 6-9 months training to deploy. And by the way NO ONE has been given the choice of jail or Army for 30 years you have to get a special waiver for a Cat4(felony conviction) which are rarely granted.

In the future do not disparage the men and women who defend your very right to post such drivel

nuff said