Military Aircraft that should have never been built?

Yes after reading the provided links (and they aren't really news, periodically someone posts here something about all the shit that happened there) I am strongly lead to think that at last some people there should have been subjected to Soviet Style Justice.

One of the rare occasions where lining pretty much all of a companies leadership up against a wall would have been both a vast improvement to the human race and a massive boon to the US war effort.

The two post war British aircraft I would have strangled at birth were the Supermarine Scimitar and the Supermarine Swift. Each one had a extended and problematical development history, poor operational record and in the case of the Scimitar severe unreliability.

The F-104 Starfighter?

Too dangerous for it's pilots and from what some posters have indicated on here on other threads didn't do the job it was expected to do . . . not very well.

Got a source for the bomb dimensions being originally designed for the Lancaster?
Project Silverplate.

Couple of books
Critical Assembly: A Technical History of Los Alamos During the Oppenheimer Years, 1943–1945
The Making of The Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

Norman Ramsey (who later led the Los Alamos team at Tinian helping to load the bombs) wrote a memo that the dimensions of the bomb (which were at the time estimate) were such that only the Lancaster could carry in internally and that should be what the scientists should aim for.

After the cancellation of the F-111K came the AFVG program which was itself cancelled and replaced by the UKVG program (which also got cancelled) after that.
Sigh this is one of the major perils of living in Democratic societies as related to defence procurement. Idiots deciding to cancel and replace programs seemingly on a whim resulting in vast expenditures of money for little to no result and they can usually do so with little to no consequences be they legal or politcal

I'd like to add a whole raft of German projects that took up huge amounts of resources and yielded virtually nothing useful.

Step forward Arado 240, Fw 191, Ju 288, Me 209, Me 309 and Ju 322.

Oh, and to prove I'm not just down on the Germans, the Blackburn Firebrand. An utter waste of time.

Can anyone think of any possible justification for the pile of poo that was the Blackburn Roc? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Roc

1580109963812.png
1580110082956.png

Two observations
the B-52 is basically a “bomb truck”. It is a dump truck for bombs. It is not sexy it just gets the job done. That is why it never gets any upgrades I’d can do. Without and it never gets replaced. Be by the time you hang enough fuel and bombs on a sports car it is slower then the dump truck with the same load.
That is part of the problem with Super Hornet hang enough bombs and fuel on it and you may as well be flying an A-6.

And yes the Super Hornet is basically a new aircraft. But it is restricted design wise by need int present it is not a new aircraft. And to make maters worse it is a multi roll aircraft based on an aircraft designed to be cheep. Multi role aircraft generally are not as god at anything as single roll, and this just gets worse when you start from an aircraft that was designed with its principal purpose being to be “inexpensive”
And to make mater worse they created a new version of the wrong aircraft.
starting with an A-6 would have resulted in a better bomber and the F-14 would have been a better fighter and a clean sheet would have been a better multi roll.
So basicly we have an expensive aircraft that is not “best” at ANYTHING and only got built because Congress was so stupid about aircraft that they said not realize it was a new fighter. So there only thing it is good at is helping Boing and the Admiralty lie to Congress.

This is frankly one of the most ridiculous arguments I've read. The "principal purpose" of F/A-18s was "to be 'inexpensive'"? What rot. No doubt keeping costs down was a project aim (as it should be in any such project), but delivering a cost-effective capability would be a more accurate way to put it. There is no way you can call the aircraft inexpensive. It's more expensive than the F-16 (not surprising given it has two engines). If that were the case they failed abysmally. And not a new aircraft? As has already been pointed out to you, the Super Hornet basically is a new aircraft. Honestly this criticism is just absurd when on any measure the Hornet and Super Hornet have been effective aircraft. I don't think "the Admiralty" tend to have much say in Congress either, by the way.

nbcman

Donor
Let’s not over exaggerate the B-29 problem.
Yes the B-29 had issues ,but most aircraft when first built do have issues. The B-29s biggest issue was that it was rushed into service and did not get the tweaks that usually come in the early versions of an aircraft.
if you think about it the best aircraft usually are around a while and get modified. Most weapon systems are like that. The M16 being the poster child for that.
It is when the aircraft of system does not get the updates it needed that things go wrong. Now obviously some things get out of hand such as the Bradley or the F35. But the Bradley is sorta ok now.

The B-17 as it first flew was NOT the B-17 that fought WW2.
Wasn't another major issue was that many of the initial production run of B-29s were sent to the harshest of conditions - China and Burma. The later models of B-29s were used to attack Japan. It is not surprising that even if the B-29s had the best of maintenance they would have had problems but putting them in China at marginally improved airfield with a tenuous supply line was a terrible mistake.

The F-104 Starfighter?

Too dangerous for it's pilots and from what some posters have indicated on here on other threads didn't do the job it was expected to do . . . not very well.
The biggest problem of the F-104G was that it was given to pilots with not enough jet experience and it was too much for them. Air Forces that had a solid base of jet capable pilots did not have much of a problem with it. The Germans tried a quick buildup after missing a generation of tactical aircraft. It also did the job of intermediate strike very well. It was fast and accurate against depots, airfields, and other infrastructure. Once the German pilots caught up to their allied pilots in experience the loss rate went down.

Project Silverplate.

Couple of books
Critical Assembly: A Technical History of Los Alamos During the Oppenheimer Years, 1943–1945
The Making of The Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

Norman Ramsey (who later led the Los Alamos team at Tinian helping to load the bombs) wrote a memo that the dimensions of the bomb (which were at the time estimate) were such that only the Lancaster could carry in internally and that should be what the scientists should aim for.
Problem was the Lancaster couldn't fly high enough to get away from the blast. I don't remember a mention of the Lancaster in Rhodes book but it has been a few years since I read it and I may have missed it

I'd like to add a whole raft of German projects that took up huge amounts of resources and yielded virtually nothing useful.

Step forward Arado 240, Fw 191, Ju 288, Me 209, Me 309 and Ju 322.

Oh, and to prove I'm not just down on the Germans, the Blackburn Firebrand. An utter waste of time.

I'm not sure Firebrand and the mentioned German aircraft are in same league. Firebrand was produced in 220 copies, while German aircraft listed there are/were prototypes. Countries need to make prototypes, that tells them the design shop was right or wrong. Nobody needed the Firebrand past the 1st prototype.
Me 209 was probably a missed opportunity (solves the problem the Bf 109 had with ever more powerful engines and coupled with tricky U/C, plus space for cannons in the wings), while the early, small Ju 288 with BMW 801 or, even better, DB 603 engines woud've probably resulted in a very useful bomber.

I'm not sure Firebrand and the mentioned German aircraft are in same league. Firebrand was produced in 220 copies, while German aircraft listed there are/were prototypes. Countries need to make prototypes, that tells them the design shop was right or wrong. Nobody needed the Firebrand past the 1st prototype.
Me 209 was probably a missed opportunity (solves the problem the Bf 109 had with ever more powerful engines and coupled with tricky U/C, plus space for cannons in the wings), while the early, small Ju 288 with BMW 801 or, even better, DB 603 engines woud've probably resulted in a very useful bomber.

Although the Bomber B project never got past the prototype stage, it still sucked up large quantities of resources and dislocated Luftwaffe planning at a crucial time in the war. The project dragged on through multiple (radically) different designs and never got near production. Had they known it would failed, they could have have made contingency plans aroundless sophisticated aircraft which would have provided more effective bombers during the crucial 1942-43 period.

I agree that the earlier Ju 288 A had potential, but there were several arguments against further development. Firstly, it's three man crew went against Luftwaffe doctrine that specified a four man crew for a heavy bomber. In addition, it was designed around the Jumo 222, which was intended to deliver 2000 hp from a dry weight of 1084 kg. The BMW 801 was slightly lighter but produced 300 hp less. They would have needed to significantly reduce weight in other areas to maintain anything like the design performance. This probably would have entailed ditching the complex system of remotely controlled defensive guns. Given their relative lack of reliability this may have been no bad thing.

If its his book on missiles you are talking about, Blue Moon is described and an expendable bomber.......effectively a cruise missile....
When I read your first reply I thought you might have confused it with Blue Rapier and Red Rapier.

However, fair enough,

Philip

Donor
We are 8 pages and 157 posts into the thread and the Supermarine Swift hasn't been mentioned.
I guess you missed post 142.

The two post war British aircraft I would have strangled at birth were the Supermarine Scimitar and the Supermarine Swift. Each one had a extended and problematical development history, poor operational record and in the case of the Scimitar severe unreliability.