Merrily We Roll Along: A Post-1969 History of Looney Tunes

I have the feeling that the Superman movie ITTL isn't going to be anywhere near the phenomenon of our live-action one. IOTL the slogan was "You'll believe a man can fly" and Christopher Reeve made it work. But here? The Justice League series has been running for several years; an animated Superman isn't new.

What if I make it an homage to the Fleischer cartoons? Bring back some higher quality animation
I wasn't saying animated Superman would flop! Just that without Christopher Reeve in person, it's lost the specialness ours had.

Don't know how old you are (and I'm not asking 😉) but I was there for this era. I remember The Muppet Movie having a line for tickets that stretched out of the theater and down the block.

So between Superman not bringing in the expected numbers and Roddenberry doing live-action Star Trek, maybe the pendulum starts swinging back to live-action?

Spoiler alert: the live action Star Trek movie fails
A pity. I'd thought that the studio execs would let him release the "extended version" they made for the TV premiere. You know, the scene where Spock explains he sees himself in V'Ger... and from that he realizes that seeking out emotionlessness is the wrong path for him.

But I can see how live-action would be disappointing to an audience fond of the characters that work best in animation. Trying to do M'Ress would be difficult. Arex would use up way too much of the budget and still look fake.

1978 TV - ABC Saturday Morning
And last but not least (or maybe it is least), it's the one and only alphabet network, ABC!

~~~

The_Krofft_Supershow.jpg

8:00 AM: The Krofft Supershow (Krofft Entertainment)
Instead of being renamed, revamped, and re-moved to another network like IOTL, here the Krofft Supershow stays itself. It does get the new segments it got as The Krofft Superstar Hour, however, specifically Horror Hotel and The Lost Island. As a result, Wonderbug and Magic Mongo were dropped, while Bigfoot and Wildboy (which IOTL became its own series for a little while) stayed. However, ABC moved the show to the very beginning of its lineup in an attempt to finally kill it- since ratings were eeeeegh. Why didn't they do it earlier? Why haven't they just killed it period? Simple- there was nothing else much to air, as you'll soon see.

MV5BNjk2ZDc1YzAtMmY1ZC00NDlkLTljNzgtYjUyMzZiNjhlMWNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA3NTQyOA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

9:00 AM: The Tom and Jerry Show (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Television, Hanna-Barbera Productions)
Moving from primetime on CBS to Saturday Mornings on ABC, the iconic mouse duo continues its television run, and bringing the rest of the new MGM short gang (save for Red Hod Riding Hood, whose toons were seen as too risque for Saturday mornings). The format for the show ran like this- first a more "modern" Tom and Jerry short, then a short starring another character, then a classic short- whether it be Tom and Jerry or someone else.

9:30 AM: Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (Hanna-Barbera Productions)
Known IOTL as the third and final season of The Scooby-Doo Show, ITTL The Scooby-Doo Show is instead a revival of the original Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? As such, this is the fifth and final season of the show, bringing the show's episode count up to a syndication-friendly 65. Funny thing, IOTL, the third season was actually marketed as a revival/third season of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, or as segments of Scooby's All-Stars, the revamped version of Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics. And speaking of which...

Laff-A-Lympics.jpg

10:00 AM: Laff-a-Lympics (Hanna-Barbera Productions)
Due to the cancellation of Yogi and the Galaxy Goof-Ups, Yogi Bear, Boo-Boo, and Huckleberry Hound are finally entered into the second season of Laff-a-Lympics. It's also NOW that the Yogi Yahooeys team is formed, as the FOURTH team. Previously, the earlier H-B characters were under the Scooby Doobies, which was a generic H-B comedy star lineup until this season, where it takes on its 70s mystery focus from IOTL. Aside from the Scooby Doobies and Really Rottens, the third team ITTL was the Super Stars, a team of Hanna-Barbera's superheroes. The lineup of teams is as follows:

SCOOBY DOOBIES​
  1. Scooby-Doo​
  2. Shaggy Rogers - from Scooby-Doo​
  3. Pebbles (teenage version)​
  4. Bamm-Bamm (teenage version)​
  5. Fred Rogers (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  6. Daphne Blake (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  7. Velma Dinkley (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  8. Judy Jetson (new)​
  9. Jonny Quest (new) - not on the Super Stars because he doesn't have superpowers, obviously.​
  10. Speed Buggy (new)​
  11. Jabberjaw (new)​
  12. Scooby-Dum (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  13. Goober (new) - from Goober and the Ghost Chasers. To quote Shaggy, "like, why do we have this many dogs?"​
  14. Babu (new) - from Jeannie​
  15. Mudsy (new) - from the Funky Phantom​

YOGI YAHOOEYS (new for this season; all non-new characters moved from Scooby Doobies unless otherwise stated)​
  1. Yogi Bear (new)​
  2. Huckleberry Hound (new)​
  3. Boo-Boo (new) - from Yogi Bear​
  4. Cindy Bear (new) - from Yogi Bear​
  5. Quick Draw McGraw​
  6. Auggie Doggie​
  7. Doggie Daddy​
  8. Pixie​
  9. Dixie​
  10. Top Cat​
  11. Secret Squirrel​
  12. Wally Gator​
  13. Snagglepuss​
  14. Magilla Gorilla​
  15. Winsome Witch​

SUPER STARS​
  1. Atom Ant​
  2. Hong Kong Phooey​
  3. Blue Falcon​
  4. Dynomutt​
  5. Captain Caveman​
  6. Space Ghost​
  7. Frankenstein Jr.​
  8. Buzz Conroy - from Frankenstein Jr.​
  9. Multi-Man - from The Impossibles​
  10. Fluid-Man - from The Impossibles​
  11. Coil-Man - from The Impossibles​
  12. Birdman​
  13. Vapor Man - from the Galaxy Trio​
  14. Meteor Man - from the Galaxy Trio​
  15. Gravity Girl - from the Galaxy Trio​

REALLY ROTTENS - a lot more existing Hanna-Barbera villains, thanks in no small part to the inclusion of the superhero characters, but also some.​
  1. Mumbley - from Magnificent Mumbley, a supporting segment on the Great Grape Ape​
  2. Dread Baron - original character. Much like IOTL, it was originally intended for Dread Baron and Mumbley to be Dick Dastardly and Muttley from Wacky Races; however, those characters were co-owned by Heatter-Quiggley at the time, so no deal.​
  3. Moltar - from Space Ghost​
  4. Zorak - from Space Ghost​
  5. J. Evil Scientist - from Snooper and Blabber​
  6. Goodna Evil Scientist - from Snooper and Blabber​
  7. Junior Evil Scientist - from Snooper and Blabber​
  8. Orful Octopus - original character. Pet of the Evil Scientist family, and both a villainous copy of Squiddly Diddly and a redo of Occy the Octopus, pet of Evil Scientist family knockoff the Gruesomes from the Flintstones​
  9. Dinky Dalton - from Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw​
  10. Dirty Dalton - from Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw​
  11. Dastardly Dalton - from Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw​
  12. Mr. Jinks - from Pixie and Dixie​
  13. Vultro - from Birdman​
  14. Dr. Millenium - from Birdman​
  15. Ferocious Flea - from Atom Ant​

In addition, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble serve as the announcers, and show heavy amounts of favoritism towards the Scooby Doobies, due to nepotism.

10:30 AM - Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (Hanna-Barbera Productions)
No changes from IOTL.

11:00 AM - Fangface (Hanna-Barbera Productions, ABC Entertainment) - new show!
Instead of being made by Ruby-Spears as in IOTL, this show is made by Hanna-Barbera. In fact, since IOTL Ruby-Spears was created specifically to give Hanna-Barbera more competition, and ITTL Hanna-Barbera has PLENTY of competition in the form of Lantz, Filmation, Rankin/Bass, the Warner Cartoon Group, and even Disney, it's safe to say Ruby-Spears has no real reason to exist. Instead, Ruby and Spears' involvement continues to be at ABC with the Saturday morning lineup, to the point where several shows (which were Ruby-Spears series IOTL) are co-productions with ABC Entertainment! In fact, with the exception of Jana of the Jungle on NBC, ABC is the only network even carrying Hanna-Barbera programs at all! It's also the only place where IOTL's 70's Hanna-Barbera dominance reigns, as you can see by looking at most of the schedule. Safe to say, ABC is almost single-handedly keeping Hanna-Barbera in business.

Jason_01.jpg

11:30 AM - Jason of Star Command (Paramount Television, Filmation) - new show!
Similar to the IOTL show, but animated instead of live-action, and a half-hour series instead of a segment on Tarzan and the Super 7.

12:00 PM - ABC Weekend Special
Same old, same old.

(this video is from 1979 but just ignore that)
12:30 PM - American Bandstand
Ditto.

And that's the Saturday morning lineups! Next time, we'll take a look at the Sunday "anime" lineups!​

Last edited:
Nice!

In terms of the SatAM lineups, I'd watch:

8:00AM: Mickey Mouse
8:30AM: Woody Woodpecker
9:00AM: Monster Mash-Up
9:30AM: Jana of the Jungle
10:00AM: Godzilla
10:30AM: The Avengers - last half
11:00AM: Justice League
12:00PM: Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
12:30PM: Thunderbirds - last half

1PM-bedtime: I dunno, homework, drawing?

And last but not least (or maybe it is least), it's the one and only alphabet network, ABC!

~~~​
No harsh judgement just yet, pal.
The_Krofft_Supershow.jpg

8:00 AM: The Krofft Supershow (Krofft Entertainment)
Instead of being renamed, revamped, and re-moved to another network like IOTL, here the Krofft Supershow stays itself. It does get the new segments it got as The Krofft Superstar Hour, however, specifically Horror Hotel and The Lost Island. As a result, Wonderbug and Magic Mongo were dropped, while Bigfoot and Wildboy (which IOTL became its own series for a little while) stayed. However, ABC moved the show to the very beginning of its lineup in an attempt to finally kill it- since ratings were eeeeegh. Why didn't they do it earlier? Why haven't they just killed it period? Simple- there was nothing else much to air, as you'll soon see.​
That's a bad omen for the rest of the lineup, and I feel sad for ABC right about now.
MV5BNjk2ZDc1YzAtMmY1ZC00NDlkLTljNzgtYjUyMzZiNjhlMWNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA3NTQyOA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

9:00 AM: The Tom and Jerry Show (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Television, Hanna-Barbera Productions)
Moving from primetime on CBS to Saturday Mornings on ABC, the iconic mouse duo continues its television run, and bringing the rest of the new MGM short gang (save for Red Hod Riding Hood, whose toons were seen as too risque for Saturday mornings). The format for the show ran like this- first a more "modern" Tom and Jerry short, then a short starring another character, then a classic short- whether it be Tom and Jerry or someone else.​
That's actually pretty sweet.
9:30 AM: Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (Hanna-Barbera Productions)
Known IOTL as the third and final season of The Scooby-Doo Show, ITTL The Scooby-Doo Show is instead a revival of the original Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? As such, this is the fifth and final season of the show, bringing the show's episode count up to a syndication-friendly 65. Funny thing, IOTL, the third season was actually marketed as a revival/third season of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, or as segments of Scooby's All-Stars, the revamped version of Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics. And speaking of which...​
Honestly, The Scooby-Doo Show is a bit more generic of a name for a Scooby-Doo series. As such, I won't mind how Where Are You? fares ITTL.
Laff-A-Lympics.jpg

10:00 AM: Laff-a-Lympics (Hanna-Barbera Productions)
Due to the cancellation of Yogi and the Galaxy Goof-Ups, Yogi Bear, Boo-Boo, and Huckleberry Hound are finally entered into the second season of Laff-a-Lympics. It's also NOW that the Yogi Yahooeys team is formed, as the FOURTH team. Previously, the earlier H-B characters were under the Scooby Doobies, which was a generic H-B comedy star lineup until this season, where it takes on its 70s mystery focus from IOTL. Aside from the Scooby Doobies and Really Rottens, the third team ITTL was the Super Stars, a team of Hanna-Barbera's superheroes. The lineup of teams is as follows:​
A team of HB's superheroes are the second team at the start. Honestly, I can see it being the antithesis to the Really Rottens in that regard.

As for the Yogi Yahooeys, it's about dang time they showed up!
SCOOBY DOOBIES​
  1. Scooby-Doo​
  2. Shaggy Rogers (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  3. Pebbles (teenage version)​
  4. Bamm-Bamm (teenage version)​
  5. Fred Rogers (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  6. Daphne Blake (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  7. Velma Dinkley (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  8. Judy Jetson (new)​
  9. Jonny Quest (new) - not on the Super Stars because he doesn't have superpowers, obviously.​
  10. Speed Buggy (new)​
  11. Jabberjaw (new)​
  12. Scooby-Dum (new) - from Scooby-Doo​
  13. Goober (new) - from Goober and the Ghost Chasers. To quote Shaggy, "like, why do we have this many dogs?"​
  14. Babu (new) - from Jeannie​
  15. Mudsy (new) - from the Funky Phantom​
Not only do we have all five of Mystery Inc. plus Scooby-Dum, but we also have Pebbles, Bamm-Bamm, and Judy Jetson representing the other HB tentpoles, while Jonny Quest, Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw, Goober, and Mudsy are added to the rotation.

Maybe it's just me, but I think quoting Shaggy might be taken from an ACTUAL episode in this timeline.
YOGI YAHOOEYS (new for this season; all non-new characters moved from Scooby Doobies unless otherwise stated)​
  1. Yogi Bear (new)​
  2. Huckleberry Hound (new)​
  3. Boo-Boo (new) - from Yogi Bear​
  4. Cindy Bear (new) - from Yogi Bear​
  5. Quick Draw McGraw​
  6. Auggie Doggie​
  7. Doggie Daddy​
  8. Pixie​
  9. Dixie​
  10. Top Cat​
  11. Secret Squirrel​
  12. Wally Gator​
  13. Hokey Wolf​
  14. Magilla Gorilla​
  15. Winsome Witch​
This means that Winsome Witch, Top Cat, Quick Draw McGraw, and Secret Squirrel were on the Scooby Doobies team. Odd.
SUPER STARS​
  1. Atom Ant​
  2. Hong Kong Phooey​
  3. Blue Falcon​
  4. Dynomutt​
  5. Captain Caveman​
  6. Space Ghost​
  7. Frankenstein Jr.​
  8. Buzz Conroy - from Frankenstein Jr.​
  9. Multi-Man - from The Impossibles​
  10. Fluid-Man - from The Impossibles​
  11. Coil-Man - from The Impossibles​
  12. Birdman​
  13. Vapor Man - from the Galaxy Trio​
  14. Meteor Man - from the Galaxy Trio​
  15. Gravity Girl - from the Galaxy Trio​
I was hoping that Space Ghost, Birdman, and Dynomutt would be here, but the additions of The Impossibles and Hong Kong Phooey are nice.
REALLY ROTTENS - a lot more existing Hanna-Barbera villains, thanks in no small part to the inclusion of the superhero characters, but also some.​
  1. Mumbley - from Magnificent Mumbley, a supporting segment on the Great Grape Ape​
  2. Dread Baron - original character. Much like IOTL, it was originally intended for Dread Baron and Mumbley to be Dick Dastardly and Muttley from Wacky Races; however, those characters were co-owned by Heatter-Quiggley at the time, so no deal.​
  3. Moltar - from Space Ghost​
  4. Zorak - from Space Ghost​
  5. J. Evil Scientist - from Snooper and Blabber​
  6. Goodna Evil Scientist - from Snooper and Blabber​
  7. Junior Evil Scientist - from Snooper and Blabber​
  8. Orful Octopus - original character. Pet of the Evil Scientist family, and both a villainous copy of Squiddly Diddly and a redo of Occy the Octopus, pet of Evil Scientist family knockoff the Gruesomes from the Flintstones​
  9. Dinky Dalton - from Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw​
  10. Dirty Dalton - from Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw​
  11. Dastarfly Dalton - from Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw​
  12. Mr. Jinks - from Pixie and Dixie​
  13. Vultro - from Birdman​
  14. Dr. Millenium - from Birdman​
  15. Ferocious Flea - from Atom Ant​
Moltar, Zorak, Dr. Millenium are must-haves, and it's not like the original characters aren't bad. They're just the other definition of the word.

Although I do find it funny how Mr. Jinks is a villain here.
In addition, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble serve as the announcers, and show heavy amounts of favoritism towards the Scooby Doobies, due to nepotism.​
I'd take Fred and Barney over Snagglepuss and Mildew Wolf in one fifth of a heartbeat, but at least the favoritism towards the Scooby Doobies has an in-universe excuse now.

Not to mention how the addition of the Yogi Yahooeys adds some much-needed variety in the antics.
10:30 AM - Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (Hanna-Barbera Productions)
No changes from IOTL.​
Alright.
11:00 AM - Fangface (Hanna-Barbera Productions, ABC Entertainment) - new show!
Instead of being made by Ruby-Spears as in IOTL, this show is made by Hanna-Barbera. In fact, since IOTL Ruby-Spears was created specifically to give Hanna-Barbera more competition, and ITTL Hanna-Barbera has PLENTY of competition in the form of Lantz, Filmation, Rankin/Bass, the Warner Cartoon Group, and even Disney, it's safe to say Ruby-Spears has no real reason to exist. Instead, Ruby and Spears' involvement continues to be at ABC with the Saturday morning lineup, to the point where several shows (which were Ruby-Spears series IOTL) are co-productions with ABC Entertainment! In fact, with the exception of Jana of the Jungle on NBC, ABC is the only network even carrying Hanna-Barbera programs at all! It's also the only place where IOTL's 70's Hanna-Barbera dominance reigns, as you can see by looking at most of the schedule. Safe to say, ABC is almost single-handedly keeping Hanna-Barbera in business.​
I didn't even THINK of how Ruby-Spears would factor into this timeline! I can definitely see Thundarr the Barbarian become a Hanna-Barbera series, but I don't know what would come after that.
Jason_01.jpg

11:30 AM - Jason of Star Command (Paramount Television, Filmation) - new show!
Similar to the IOTL show, but animated instead of live-action, and a half-hour series instead of a segment on Tarzan and the Super 7.​
Methinks this show can fit within Star Trek canon to some degree.
12:00 PM - ABC Weekend Special
Same old, same old.

(this video is from 1979 but just ignore that)
12:30 PM - American Bandstand
Ditto.​
Meh, not many changes.
And that's the Saturday morning lineups! Next time, we'll take a look at the Sunday "anime" lineups!​
Let's compare and contrast:

8-9 AM: NBC has Mickey Mouse and Woody Woodpecker, CBS has The Film Fair and Silly Sylvia, and ABC has The Krofft Supershow.
Winner: NBC
Runner-Up: CBS

9-10 AM: Monster Mash-Up and Jana of the Jungle on NBC, a full hour of WB gold on CBS, and ABC has Tom and Jerry & Scooby-Doo.
Winner: CBS
Runner-Up: ABC

10-11 AM: Compared to Godzilla, Manta & Moray, and The Avengers, ABC has Laff-A-Lympics and Captain Caveman.
Winner: CBS
Runner-Up: A tie between NBC and ABC, mostly for Godzilla and Laff-A-Lympics respectively.

11 AM-12 PM: ABC has Fangface and Jason of Star Command, but even Fangface bows to Batman.
Runner-Up: ABC

12-1 PM: Winding down for the day, it's Fat Albert vs. Weekend Special vs. Thunderbirds, while 30 Minutes and American Bandstand fight for second place.
Runner-Up: CBS

I'm amazed I'd find ABC as palpable as I would, considering its competition. However, it turns out that NBC comes out on top, with CBS getting the other two hours in the bag.

In other words, the American Broadcasting Company needs to step up its game in the morning, and fast!

With the 1970s drawing to a close, I'm eager to see what the 1980s hold - especially if we get OTL iconic franchises like He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Transformers, Inspector Gadget, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, etc. I have two questions though.

Speaking of the Transformers, do we get them earlier in this timeline due to Japanese sentai and tokusatsu coming here earlier? Think about it - Transformers were based on TWO Japanese toylines: the Microman line (the origin of Soundwave, Blaster, the Decepticon cassettes, the Autobot minibots, Megatron, Perceptor and Reflector) and the Diaclone line (Optimus Prime, the Decepticon jets, the Autobot Cars, the Dinobots and so on). There was a feeble attempt in 1983 to import the Diaclone line in the USA but it didn't catch on; that changed in 1984 with the nationwide release of the Transformers toyline. Perhaps the interest in importing Japanese media to the USA affects the Transformers...and perhaps other media like anime.

As for the Japanese sentai shows, what are they like here in the USA? Are the shows just dubbed over with English dialogue like the Godzilla movies? Or are they like OTL Power Rangers with new footage with Western actors done and edited in?

With the 1970s drawing to a close, I'm eager to see what the 1980s hold - especially if we get OTL iconic franchises like He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Transformers, Inspector Gadget, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, etc. I have two questions though.

Speaking of the Transformers, do we get them earlier in this timeline due to Japanese sentai and tokusatsu coming here earlier? Think about it - Transformers were based on TWO Japanese toylines: the Microman line (the origin of Soundwave, Blaster, the Decepticon cassettes, the Autobot minibots, Megatron, Perceptor and Reflector) and the Diaclone line (Optimus Prime, the Decepticon jets, the Autobot Cars, the Dinobots and so on). There was a feeble attempt in 1983 to import the Diaclone line in the USA but it didn't catch on; that changed in 1984 with the nationwide release of the Transformers toyline. Perhaps the interest in importing Japanese media to the USA affects the Transformers...and perhaps other media like anime.
Transformers still happens. The US Diakron still doesn’t catch on, due to the mix of mediocre marketing and the lack of other media to get kids attached to these characters. The Transformers cartoon WILL be a bit different from IOTL, though.
As for the Japanese sentai shows, what are they like here in the USA? Are the shows just dubbed over with English dialogue like the Godzilla movies? Or are they like OTL Power Rangers with new footage with Western actors done and edited in?
They’re like IOTL Power Rangers. Japanese fight footage with English actor footage. The main exception is the Japanese Spider-Man show, which is a straight dub, but of a show very closely produced with Marvel themselves.

1978 TV - Rising Sun
All shows are produced with the involvement of the Warner Cartoon Group, with dubs being by Warner Bros. Animation themselves unless otherwise stated. Also not gonna go into these much, as most of these have been around for YEARS IOTL and I'm really not an anime person, so I'm phoning a lot of this in.

Kashinokimokku.jpg

8:00 AM - The Adventures of Pinocchio, originally Pinochchio: The Series (Tatsunoko Productions)

1697315880827.jpeg

8:30 AM - Genie in a Bottle, originally The Genie Family (Tatsunoko Productions)
It was surprisingly difficult to find a proper screenshot of the original series without Japanese title text.

hqdefault-jpg.774090

9:00 AM - Princess Knight (Mushi Production)

hqdefault.jpg

9:30 AM - Astro Boy, originally Mighty Atom (Mushi Production)

battle-of-the-planets_large.jpg

10:00 AM - Battle of the Planets, originally Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (Tatsunoko Productions)
Mercifully, this dub is much more faithful than IOTL, and 7-ZARK-7 is nowhere to be found.

1666989337706-png.784745

10:30 AM - Moonlight Mask (Knack)

UltramanTaroProfile.jpg

11:00 AM - Ultraman Taro (Tsuburaya Productions, dubbed by United Artists Television) - new show!
Taking the place of Ultraman Ace this season.

Fireman_2510.jpg

11:30 AM - Volcano Man, originally Fireman (Tsuburaya Productions, dubbed by United Artists Television) - new show!
Finally, something interesting! Knocking longtime series Speed Racer out of the block is, curiously, another live-action show. This is due to a mix of the success of the Ultraman series and the success of Universal and Marvel's The Rangers Five and The Masked Rider, which would form the crux for their new competitor to the Rising Sun, one made up ENTIRELY of live-action series.

Next is Columbia and Rankin/Bass's Pagoda.​

Last edited:
All shows are produced with the involvement of the Warner Cartoon Group, with dubs being by Warner Bros. Animation themselves unless otherwise stated. Also not gonna go into these much, as most of these have been around for YEARS IOTL and I'm really not an anime person, so I'm phoning a lot of this in.

Kashinokimokku.jpg

8:00 AM - The Adventures of Pinocchio, originally Pinochchio: The Series (Tatsunoko Productions)

View attachment 862238
8:30 AM - Genie in a Bottle, originally The Genie Family (Tatsunoko Productions)
It was surprisingly difficult to find a proper screenshot of the original series without Japanese title text.

hqdefault-jpg.774090

hqdefault.jpg

9:30 AM - Astro Boy (Mushi Production)

10:00 AM - Battle of the Planets, originally Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (Tatsunoko Productions)
Mercifully, this dub is much more faithful than IOTL, and 7-ZARK-7 is nowhere to be found.

1666989337706-png.784745

UltramanTaroProfile.jpg

11:00 AM - Ultraman Taro (Tsuburaya Productions, dubbed by United Artists Television) - new show!

Fireman_2510.jpg

11:30 AM - Volcano Man, originally Fireman (Tsuburaya Productions, dubbed by United Artists Television) - new show!
Finally, something interesting! Knocking longtime series Speed Racer out of the block is, curiously, another live-action show. This is due to a mix of the success of the Ultraman series and the success of Universal and Marvel's The Rangers Five and The Masked Rider, which would form the crux for their new competitor to the Rising Sun, one made up ENTIRELY of live-action series.

Sounds kinda boring to me, but most of the shows here I'd watch once or twice.

Transformers still happens. The US Diakron still doesn’t catch on, due to the mix of mediocre marketing and the lack of other media to get kids attached to these characters. The Transformers cartoon WILL be a bit different from IOTL, though.

They’re like IOTL Power Rangers. Japanese fight footage with English actor footage. The main exception is the Japanese Spider-Man show, which is a straight dub, but of a show very closely produced with Marvel themselves.
Cool.

Kashinokimokku.jpg

View attachment 862238

hqdefault-jpg.774090

hqdefault.jpg

9:30 AM - Astro Boy (Mushi Production)

1666989337706-png.784745

UltramanTaroProfile.jpg

Fireman_2510.jpg

Sounds kinda boring to me, but most of the shows here I'd watch once or twice.
Same, but I would try to watch BoTP.

But will Optimus Prime still die in TTL's movie?

1978 TV - Pagoda
All shows are distributed by Columbia Pictures Television and dubbed by Rankin/Bass Productions

Chappy.jpg

9:00 AM - Chappy the Witch, originally Mahōtsukai Chappy (Toei Animation)

Makochan_731.jpg

9:30 AM - Mako the Mermaid, originally Mahō no Mako-chan (Toei Animation)

MV5BMDc0NjRhMmItN2JjNi00ZTZiLThjZmQtYjAyZTQzMzRjNTc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU5ODY0ODc@._V1_.jpg

10:00 AM - Tranzor Z (Toei Animation)
Still running, on its fourth of five seasons. The first two seasons adapted Mazinger Z, the third season adapted Great Mazinger, and the fourth and upcoming fifth seasons are adapting UFO Robot Grendaizer.

Gaiking.jpg

10:30 AM - Dino King, or Dino Mech Gaiking (Toei Animation) - new show!

1345659-getterrobog.jpg

11:00 AM - Gettabots (Toei Animation)
Now on its second and final season, moving on from the original Getter Robo to Getter Robo G.

5a5070d7b719a714ec55c6e2ceb9292f.jpg

(pretend this one is colorized)
11:30 AM - Cyborg 9, originally Cyborg 009 (Toei Animation)

Next up is Universal and Marvel's Special Force, unless I change the name...​

All shows are distributed by Columbia Pictures Television and dubbed by Rankin/Bass Productions

Chappy.jpg

9:00 AM - Chappy the Witch, originally Mahōtsukai Chappy (Toei Animation)

Makochan_731.jpg

9:30 AM - Mako the Mermaid, originally Mahō no Mako-chan (Toei Animation)

MV5BMDc0NjRhMmItN2JjNi00ZTZiLThjZmQtYjAyZTQzMzRjNTc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU5ODY0ODc@._V1_.jpg

10:00 AM - Tranzor Z (Toei Animation)
Still running, on its fourth of five seasons. The first two seasons adapted Mazinger Z, the third season adapted Great Mazinger, and the fourth and upcoming fifth seasons are adapting UFO Robot Grendaizer.

Gaiking.jpg

10:30 AM - Dino King, or Dino Mech Gaiking (Toei Animation) - new show!

1345659-getterrobog.jpg

11:00 AM - Gettabots (Toei Animation)
Now on its second and final season, moving on from the original Getter Robo to Getter Robo G.

5a5070d7b719a714ec55c6e2ceb9292f.jpg

(pretend this one is colorized)
11:30 AM - Cyborg 9, originally Cyborg 009 (Toei Animation)

Next up is Universal and Marvel's Special Force, unless I change the name...​
Nice! However, I'm waiting on the Special Force's lineup before I determine what I'll watch.