Merrily We Roll Along: A Post-1969 History of Looney Tunes

We'll by far, I gonna have Filmation to animate The Oddball Couple instead of DFE. But DFE is doing The Lord of the Rings for United Artists and Saul Zaentz instead of Ralph Bakhshi. By the way, instead of forming its own studio, I gonna have Joe Ruby and Ken Spears to join Rankin-Bass Productions (therefore all OTL Ruby-Spears shows would be TTL's Rankin-Bass shows).

Anything else before going into 1975's movies?
As far as I know, Jaws is the hit movie of 1975 that made Steven Spielberg into a pop culture sensation. Other movies coming out in 1975 include WB's Bugs Bunny, Superstar, DFE's debut animated film, an adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit (OTL Rankin-Bass made it) for UA, WB's Robinson Cruose, Universal/Walter Lantz's The Light Princess, Filmation/Paramount's A Letter to Amy, Hanna-Barbera/MGM's The Moon in the Cloud and Columbia/Rankin-Bass' Jennie's Hat. As Gulf+Western prepares to buy NTA, G+W's Simon & Schuster subsidiary is planning to purchase Harvey Comics from a group of investors.

As far as I know, Jaws is the hit movie of 1975 that made Steven Spielberg into a pop culture sensation. Other movies coming out in 1975 include WB's Bugs Bunny, Superstar, DFE's debut animated film, an adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit (OTL Rankin-Bass made it) for UA, WB's Robinson Cruose, Universal/Walter Lantz's The Light Princess, Filmation/Paramount's A Letter to Amy, Hanna-Barbera/MGM's The Moon in the Cloud and Columbia/Rankin-Bass' Jennie's Hat. As Gulf+Western prepares to buy NTA, G+W's Simon & Schuster subsidiary is planning to purchase Harvey Comics from a group of investors.
Could you NOT try and take over other people's threads?

Tacomaster

Kicked
Could you NOT try and take over other people's threads?
Thank you.

ITTL, I still plan for Hobbit to be Rankin/Bass (and by extent Columbia), but theatrical this time. In addition to Return of the King, they’ll also get the rights to the Lord of the Rings book instead of Ralph Bakshi (who I’m putting at Paramount). Basically, an earlier, animated version of the Peter Jackson films, in that it’s one long saga spreading over several movies. Also, DFE and UA are partnered in the WCG. DFE produced films will be released under UA, but they’re all part of the Warner Cartoon Group.

Universal/Walter Lantz's The Light Princess, Filmation/Paramount's A Letter to Amy, Hanna-Barbera/MGM's The Moon in the Cloud and Columbia/Rankin-Bass' Jennie's Hat
What the heck are these? Are they adaptations of anything?

Thank you.

ITTL, I still plan for Hobbit to be Rankin/Bass (and by extent Columbia), but theatrical this time. In addition to Return of the King, they’ll also get the rights to the Lord of the Rings book instead of Ralph Bakshi (who I’m putting at Paramount). Basically, an earlier, animated version of the Peter Jackson films, in that it’s one long saga spreading over several movies. Also, DFE and UA are partnered in the WCG. DFE produced films will be released under UA, but they’re all part of the Warner Cartoon Group.

What the heck are these? Are they adaptations of anything?
But I think The Light Princess was based on George MacDonald's fairy tale, A Letter to Amy was based on Ezra Jack Keats' book, The Moon in the Cloud was based on Rosemary Harris' book and Jennie's Hat was adapted from the book, also by Ezra Jack Keats.

Tacomaster

Kicked
Funny thing, I did find a BS animated movie on the Wikipedia page of movies from 1975- a Disney movie called William Tell

Warning
Oh, and DFE Films is making their theatrical animation debut with an animated adaptation of Leo Tolsoy's Anna Karenina through United Artists. And Walt Disney Productions made a major step by acquiring Allied Artists, a little B-movie studio that recently had its success with Cabaret and Papillion, and became the label for non-G-rated movies, while the Disney name is used for G-rated movies.

How do I ban someone from a thread

Like so:

Oh, and DFE Films is making their theatrical animation debut with an animated adaptation of Leo Tolsoy's Anna Karenina through United Artists. And Walt Disney Productions made a major step by acquiring Allied Artists, a little B-movie studio that recently had its success with Cabaret and Papillion, and became the label for non-G-rated movies, while the Disney name is used for G-rated movies.

I've never seen someone hijack a thread in such an obnoxious and blatant way. Don't post in this thread again.

Hmm...

If Warner Bros. does enter into an agreement with Toei, and Mazinger Z is among the properties hopping a boat to the U.S. as a result, this could cause ripples down the road...
Well, I mean, Rankin-Bass is teaming up with Toei, TCJ/Eiken and Topcraft for a new anime block in 1975, so maybe Mazinger Z could be imported Stateside properly.
With Warner Bros. Toei's partner in the U.S., Great Mazinger and Getter Robo won't be far behind, which means no Ronin Warriors or Starvengers as we know them.
1: Like I said, Rankin-Bass will probably bring them over.
2: No Ronin Warriors in exchange for a more faithful Samurai Troopers dub, is a change I'm willing to accept.
This is going to cause fierce butterflies involving Marvel-Sunbow and the partnership of Hasbro and Takara in the creation of a certain famous robotic toy franchise of the Eighties, with reverberations felt today...
WAIT WHAT? Care to explain how?
I wonder, what if, say, Jay Ward Productions, looking for hits of their own, starts sniffing around the Land of the Rising Sun, and especially Toei's rivals Sunrise and Tatsunoko, looking for the next big hit after George of the Jungle and Dudley Do-Right, and discovers, say, Combattler V and Voltes V, rewrites the dialogue scripts to make them two halves of the same series, and thereby turns them collectively into a big hit on this side of the pond that jumpstarts the Eighties Mecha Explosion three of four years early. It could be Jay Ward Productions' biggest hit since Rocky and Bullwinkle. Then, with executive producer Nagahama Todao having bought the farm, Jay Ward turns to the next project of Nagahama's understudy, one Tomino Yoshiyuki, and his idea of a young boy falling into the cockpit of a cutting edge prototype on the eve of war in space...
You know what? Jay Ward getting into anime is a cool idea!

Maybe the combined Combattler/Voltes V series could be called "V-Bot"?

And it jumpstarting the Mecha explosion? Nice.

And what exactly IS that idea of "cutting edge prototype on the eve of war in space" @Kalvan?
And of course, even more interesting will be the concepts of American studios like Filmation, Freling-DePattie, Ruby-Spears, and Hanna-Barberra that are inspired by these developments...

You.......are AMAZING!
Anything else before going into 1975's movies?
Not really....
Thank you.

Funny thing, I did find a BS animated movie on the Wikipedia page of movies from 1975- a Disney movie called William Tell
Ok.
While it is a decent idea, at the exact same time, this IS getting out of hand.....
How do I ban someone from a thread
Like so:

I've never seen someone hijack a thread in such an obnoxious and blatant way. Don't post in this thread again.
Thanks, Burton!
Wow.......

Also, just because, Thanks @Burton K Wheeler!

Tacomaster

Kicked
For the next theatrical WB film in the “Family Classics” line (after Treasure Island and Oliver Twist), I’m Thinking of readapting one of the public domain characters the 7A era tried renovating.
  • Robin Hood had already been made by Disney two years prior, so that’s out for the time being.
  • Likewise, Connecticut Man in King Arthur’s Court was remade IOTL the past year- by Chuck Jones, with the Looney Tunes characters. It sucked.
  • Also two years prior, while not animated, there was a Tom Sawyer musical released in theaters by UA, which won numerous awards.
So it comes down to Arabian Nights or Gulliver’s Travels.

For the next theatrical WB film in the “Family Classics” line (after Treasure Island and Oliver Twist), I’m Thinking of readapting one of the public domain characters the 7A era tried renovating.
  • Robin Hood had already been made by Disney two years prior, so that’s out for the time being.
  • Likewise, Connecticut Man in King Arthur’s Court was remade IOTL the past year- by Chuck Jones, with the Looney Tunes characters. It sucked.
  • Also two years prior, while not animated, there was a Tom Sawyer musical released in theaters by UA, which won numerous awards.
Ok.

I think Gulliver's Travels would be the one they'd choose in the timeline. (And mainly because I still want Disney's Aladdin to still happen)

@Otakuninja2006 @Kalvan If I'm correct on Kalvan's thinking, Toei partnering with WB means that Sunbow couldn't use Toei for their animation work. Since Sunbow was the main source of the shows made from Hasbro's toys, then their absence would be a major butterflying.

Sunbow Productions was founded because of the success of the animated commercials for the renewed G.I. Joe toyline. Maybe Griffin-Bacal Advertising finds a different studio to do the work, but it still won't be the exact same as our timeline.

Tacomaster

Kicked
1) Japanese Animation alliances aren’t exclusive.

2) Sunbow will probably work with WB (through DFE) for their cartoons

Well you already said (back in the "1971 Television Series" post) that WB would be making an Avengers cartoon in 1985 anyway. So having them start on Marvel superheroes a bit before that with the 1980s Spider-Man and Hulk cartoons makes sense.

Maybe the proposed Marvel/DC merger actually happens in your timeline? Your choice, of course.

@Otakuninja2006 @Kalvan If I'm correct on Kalvan's thinking, Toei partnering with WB means that Sunbow couldn't use Toei for their animation work. Since Sunbow was the main source of the shows made from Hasbro's toys, then their absence would be a major butterflying.

Sunbow Productions was founded because of the success of the animated commercials for the renewed G.I. Joe toyline. Maybe Griffin-Bacal Advertising finds a different studio to do the work, but it still won't be the exact same as our timeline.
Really??
Oh...

So, in the 70's and 80's, Rankin-Bass could dub Mazinger Z and Kinnkuman, while in the 90's to the present day, WB and Turner could both respectively dub Dragon Ball Z and One Piece?

Cool!

And I was just using random examples, none of these are meant to ruin your plans.
Ok.
Well you already said (back in the "1971 Television Series" post) that WB would be making an Avengers cartoon in 1985 anyway. So having them start on Marvel superheroes a bit before that with the 1980s Spider-Man and Hulk cartoons makes sense.

Maybe the proposed Marvel/DC merger actually happens in your timeline? Your choice, of course.

How about we.........NOT do that........