Merkins?

Dure

Banned
Why in the 19th century did Merkins get popular in Europe and in America? Just something I'm wondering about; but I read it had something to do with the wives and widows of deceased Confederate soldiers being without a means of support and selling their own hair to the Hassock makers.

Why in the 19th century did Merkins get popular in Europe and in America? Just something I'm wondering about; but I read it had something to do with the wives and widows of deceased Confederate soldiers being without a means of support and selling their own hair to the Hassock makers.
So, I google "Merkin" and it basically comes out a 'hair piece for the genitalia'. At a wild guess, this is NOT what became popular in the Victoria era - or was it even worse than I thought?

No, that is what he means. Though I heard the reason it became popular was the prevalence of crabs - pubic lice to our itchy pedants.

Dure

Banned
I don't think crabs have any thing to do with it. I can see you might wear a merkin to frighten away wild animals but crabs are too stupid and anyway with those big Victorian swimming suits how could the crab see the Merkin when you went for a dip at Brighton?

I don't think crabs have any thing to do with it. I can see you might wear a merkin to frighten away wild animals but crabs are too stupid and anyway with those big Victorian swimming suits how could the crab see the Merkin when you went for a dip at Brighton?
I'm not certain if you're serious here.

Wandy's talking about these crabs.

Dure

Banned
Nah! They have seriously big crabs at Brighton, the merkins would eat little crabs like that for breakfast.