Map Thread XXII

Any improvement to make it more historical accurate (500-800AD)?

Full scale image.
So...if we're playing the wetland game, there are other spots.

The Nile Delta should be wetlands, as should the western end of the Persian Gulf. Basra was a seaport when it was founded in the 7th Century, and there is an extensive region of brackish wetlands extending over 200km inland from Basra (the area south of Basra is actually mostly solid due to centuries of waterworks to keep the Shatt al-Arab navigable). Much of the area at the mouth of the Rhone is also wetlands, called the Camargue, and at the mouth of the Danube. The mouth of the Neva was also wetlands in this period, extending a couple dozen kilometers inland, though draining and land reclamation means it isn't any more in the modern period.

Most of the northeastern coast of Crimea is also brackish wetlands and lagoons, protected by a series of barrier islands.

I'm sure there's a bunch I've missed.

If I were you, I'd just get rid of the wetlands you have marked, since including them all is going to be a big task, especially since so many no longer exist in the modern day.

26043428-CB19-4B22-8344-801003B44209.jpeg

From the Vinland TL I’ve posted about every so often, this time taking a trip to the Old World. The Russian Republic(Российская Республика, Rossiyskaya Respublika) is a federal hetmanic[1] republic straddling northern Eurasia.The Russian nation can trace its origins to the unification of the East Slavic tribes by the Norse ruler Rurik, who became the first Grand Prince of Rus’. The Kievan Rus’, as it came to be known, would be further unified around a common identity with the conversion of Grand Prince Vladimir to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. However, the Kieran Rus’ began to go into decline, and would be divided into many feuding city states.

This period of disunity ended in the 1300s and 1400s, as the Russian states were gradually conquered by the Grand Duchy of Lithusnia[2]. However, the Lithuanians would begin to gradually assimilate into Russian culture; they placed their capital in Smolensk(chosen due to its central location), and the Lithuanian ruler Jogaila would be baptized into the Russian Orthodox Church as Ivan I Jogaila[3].

Following the Fall of Constantinople in 1447, the Lithuanian Geminid dynasty assumed the title “Emperor and Autocrat of All Russia”, as the last major Orthodox polity. Each Emperor was crowned by an assembly known as the Zemsky Sobor. The Zemsky Sobor was divided between the House of Boyars, representing the clergy and nobility, and the House of Commons, representing everyone else. Over time, conflict grew between the Geminid monarchs and the Zemsky Sobor.

These tensions came to a height during the reign of Emperor Ivan III, who sought to turn Russia into an absolute monarchy. In 1678, these tensions came to a height as the Zemsky Sobor voted to depose Ivan III from power, and install a regency council. The Emperor fought back, and the ensuing Russian Civil War resulted in Ivan III being charged with treason and beheaded.

The regency council voted unanimously for Nikolai Petrov, leader of the Zemsky Sobor’s army in the Civil War. However, Petrov rejected the crown. Instead, the Zemsky Sobor drafted the 1695 Russian Constitution, which remains in place until this day. The constitution divided political power between the Zemsky Sobor, the High Court, and an executive known as the Hetman electable for a single six-year term. Petrov would be elected the first Hetman, but preferred to stay above the debates taking place in the Zemsky Sobor.

The newly-established Russian Republic began to spread eastward, not stopping until they reached the ocean. The colonization of the vast eastern frontier would result in the settlement of many Russians seeking to make a life for themselves in the untamed east, but also the displacement of many native tribes. The historical oppression of Russia’s indigenous peoples is generally considered a stain on the Republic’s history, one which went largely unacknowledged until the Indigenous Awakening of the 1960s.

Russia’s republican system of government was admired by many Enlightenment thinkers, and the country became a refuge for many political dissidents from more autocratic states such as the Anglo-French Empire or the many Germanies. Over the course of the Eighteenth, Nineteenth, and Twentieth Centuries, Russia would attract many immigrants, and continues to do so till this very day. The immigrants often wound up living in ghettos and working in factories, but their children assimilated and sometimes went on to become successful themselves.

Russia would emerge victorious over the Anglo-French Empire and Popularist France in the two Continental Wars, becoming a global superpower. It has the world’s largest economy and military, as well as considerable soft power. It’s primary rival on the global stage is the Empire of Anahuac, with whom it has been in an ongoing geopolitical conflict known as the Quiet War since the end of the Second Continental War.

[1]Presidential, in OTL’s language

[2]ITTL, the Mongol conquests never happened, but Russia winds up being conquered by the pagan Lithuanians anyway

[3]IOTL, he married Queen Jadwiga of Poland and converted to Catholicism, creating the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Last edited:
So...if we're playing the wetland game, there are other spots.

The Nile Delta should be wetlands, as should the western end of the Persian Gulf. Basra was a seaport when it was founded in the 7th Century, and there is an extensive region of brackish wetlands extending over 200km inland from Basra (the area south of Basra is actually mostly solid due to centuries of waterworks to keep the Shatt al-Arab navigable). Much of the area at the mouth of the Rhone is also wetlands, called the Camargue, and at the mouth of the Danube. The mouth of the Neva was also wetlands in this period, extending a couple dozen kilometers inland, though draining and land reclamation means it isn't any more in the modern period.

Most of the northeastern coast of Crimea is also brackish wetlands and lagoons, protected by a series of barrier islands.

I'm sure there's a bunch I've missed.

If I were you, I'd just get rid of the wetlands you have marked, since including them all is going to be a big task, especially since so many no longer exist in the modern day.
i am not sure about nile delta....
The Caspian Sea was roughly 12 meters lower than it is today, and the Sarygamysh Lake was much larger
thx. do you know how can i translate it to my map?

Offf:
anyone can tell me how accurate is this (800 AD)?

image (15).png

@B_Munro forgive me for being quite out of the loop, but have you finished and posted your Ecuador and D-countries wanks yet?
No, I decided to skip over some for now and go back to them later: was having trouble coming up with good ideas for a few of them. Cameroon-Brazil should be out shortly: not sure right now if I'll get back to those right off or do Botswana-Bangladesh first.

PoD: In 1938 the Chilean Nacitas are successful in their coup and placed their preferred presidential candidate General Carlos Ibáñez del Campo in charge of the country and Chile joins the Axis Powers in WW2.

Chilesruam.png

1709421900645.png

in the same tl as my Syndicalism infobox, California! (Orange - Anglo/North European, Red - Hispanic/South European, Green - Chinese/East Asian, Yellow - Other (from non east asians, to africans, to (the majority of yellow) native americans)

John Waters

Banned
View attachment 891953
in the same tl as my Syndicalism infobox, California! (Orange - Anglo/North European, Red - Hispanic/South European, Green - Chinese/East Asian, Yellow - Other (from non east asians, to africans, to (the majority of yellow) native americans)
Thet's a creative spin on the whole 'independent California' thing, how did it get Australia? Spain colonised it ITTL and then attached it to New Spain like Philippines OTL?

Thet's a creative spin on the whole 'independent California' thing, how did it get Australia? Spain colonised it ITTL and then attached it to New Spain like Philippines OTL?
Antarctica ittl is named Australia, with the Continent-Nation being Uliamaroa (i forgot where this came from, but i like it)

Did you pick the wrong peninsula for SF on purpose just to trigger Californians?
LOL

Antarctica ittl is named Australia, with the Continent-Nation being Uliamaroa (i forgot where this came from, but i like it)
Wikipedia - "Names of Australia"
Ulimaroa was a name given to Australia by the Swedish geographer and cartographer Daniel Djurberg in 1776.[27] Djurberg adapted the name from Olhemaroa, a Māori word found in Hawkesworth's edition of Captain James Cook and Sir Joseph Banks' journals which is thought to have been a misunderstood translation — the Māori were actually referring to Grand Terre, the largest island of New Caledonia.[27] Djurberg believed the name meant something like "big red land", whereas modern linguists believe it meant "long arm" (or hand) — echoing the geography of Grand Terre.[27] The spurious name continued to be reproduced on certain European maps, particularly some Austrian, Czech, German and Swedish maps, until around 1820,[27] including in Carl Almqvist's 1817 novel Parjumouf Saga ifrån Nya Holland (Stockholm, 1817). Nowadays, in Māori the term for Australia is Ahitereiria.

By popular demand (@John Waters), I've been working on a 1900 map for my UKSII TL (PoD 1067) which doesn't have much in the way of a write-up yet.

Here is a sneak preview:

UKSII_map_sneakpeek.png

Sovereign countries shown in this section of the map:

United Kingdom of Scotland, Ireland, and the Isles (Ríoghacht Aonaichte Albainn, Éirinn agus na n-Innse, capital: Áth Cliath / Dublin)

Kingdom of England (capital: London)
Kingdom of Wales (Teyrnas Cymru, capital: Caerdydd / Cardiff)
Grand Duchy of Cornwall (Meurduketh Kernow, capital: Truru / Truro)
Grand Duchy of Brittany (Meurdugelezh Breizh, capital: Naoned / Nantes)

French Republic (République Française, capital: Paris)
Kingdom of Aquitaine (Akitaniako Erresuma, capital: Donostia / San Sebastian)
Crown of Aragon (Corona d'Aragó, capital: Barcelona)
Kingdom of Iberia (Reino de Ibéria, capital: Madrid)
The Holy See (Sancta Sedes, capital: Roma / Rome)
Republic of Sicily (capital: Repubblica di Sicilia, capital: Palemmu / Palermo)

Dutch Union (Duitsche Bond, capital: Keulle / Cologne)
Republic of Frisia (Republyk Fryslân, capital: Ljouwert / Leeuwarden)
Holy Roman Empire (Heiliges Römisches Reich, capital: Weimar)
Geatish Republic (Gøtiske Republik, capital: Gøteborg / Gothenburg)
Kingdom of Swedes (Svearnas Konungariket, capital: Uppsala)
Kingdom of Norway (Kongeriket Norge, capital: Oslo)
Kingdom of Finland (Suomen Valtakunta, capital: Pietari / St Petersburg)
Realm of Lapland (Saapmelaatjid Vaaldegoddi, capital: Romsa / Tromso)

Polish-Lithuanian Hetmanate (Hetmańszczyzna Polsko-Litewska / Lietuvisks-Lenkiškas Hetmanatas, capital: Mińsk / Minskas / Minsk)
Kingdom of Bohemia (Království Českého, capital: Praha / Prague)
Tsardom of Russia (Царство Руське, capital: Київ / Kyiv)
Tsardom of Muscovy (Московское Царство, capital: Москва / Moscow)

Kingdom of Hungary (Magyar Királyság, capital: Buda)
Principality of Wallachia (Principatul Romaniei, capital: Timișoara / Temeswar)
Tsardom of Bulgaria (Царство Българско, capital: София / Sofia)
Tsardom of Serbia (Царство Срба, capital: Београд / Belgrade)
Republic of Slavonia (Republika Slavonija, capital: Split)
Principality of Albania (Principata e Shqipërisë, capital: Tirana)

Greek Empire (Βασίλειον των Ελλήνων, capital: Κωνσταντινούπολις / Constantinople)
Union of Turks (تورك بإِرلغ / Tүркләр Бирлиjи, capital: أنقرة / Анкара / Ankara)
Kingdom of Georgia (საქართველოს სამეფო, capital: თბილისი / Tbilisi)
Republic of Armenia (Հայաստանի Հանրապետություն, capital: Երևան / Yerevan)
Kurdish Republic (Komara Kurdî, capital: Hewlêr / Erbil)
Consociational Republic of the Holy Land (الجمهورية التوافقية الأراضي المقدسة, capital: أورشليم / Jerusalem)
Arab Caliphate (الخلافة العربية, capital: مكة المكرمة / Mecca)
Sultanate of Egypt (سلطنة مصر, capital: القاهرة / Cairo)
Persian Empire (شاهنشاهی ایران, capital: اصفهان / Isfahan)

Mongol Khanate (ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠬᠠᠨᠯᠢᠭ, capital: ᠬᠠᠷᠠᠬᠣᠷᠣᠮ / Karakorum)
Cumanian Khaganate (ᠺ ᠤᠫᠵᠠᠺ ᠺᠠᠢᠨᠠᠲ ᠤ, capital: ᠰᠢᠪᠠᠭᠠᠷ / Shavgar)

Last edited: