Map Thread XXII

@Molotov Jack and @Halogen did this map as a fun exercise involving mirrored America as a spinoff of mutually upcoming mapping projects.

View attachment 890856
Granted, if we were to add a little more realism, the new Aleutians would probably blunt the mid-Atlantic current, resulting in northern Britain and mainland Europe being cooler or at least more continental than otl, but it does look like a fun TL to live in.

Map from my nuclear war timeline, the Nucliad.

10 years and 3 months after the war, the former Western United States remains shattered and divided.

In the the dryer areas and deserts in the south, authority collapsed in most places under pressure from refugees, famine and infighting. Warlords and new cults emerged from the mess in most places with a few major exceptions. The north had a higher survival rate in the aftermath, yet poor leadership led to autocrats and radicals seizing control of many regions. The few democracies that remain are sparsely populated.

The region is slowly recovering however. It seems unlikely that America might ever fully reunify, but the more stable factions are consolidating and expanding as others collapse.
This is very cool, who are the Left Behinders at the Great Lakes?

Ummm it's not very good, but have a nice little German States map. 👍
1836 Germany WIP - 8 November 2022 - by @TheMCveteran.jpg

Ummm it's not very good, but have a nice little German States map. 👍
View attachment 890948

What are those five little states in central Germany?
Those west of Brandenburg, northwest of Saxony, North of Thuringia and Hessen, east of Wesphalia, south of Hannover.

One of them is Brunswick I guess, Lippe and Waldeck as well, I think. The red is Anhalt? Then the blue is the Province of Magdeburg from the Prussian Province of Saxony but rest of Prussian Saxony seems to have been returned to Saxony proper.

What are those five little states in central Germany?
Those west of Brandenburg, northwest of Saxony, North of Thuringia and Hessen, east of Wesphalia, south of Hannover.

One of them is Brunswick I guess, Lippe and Waldeck as well, I think. The red is Anhalt? Then the blue is the Province of Magdeburg from the Prussian Province of Saxony but rest of Prussian Saxony seems to have been returned to Saxony proper.
Yes, Lippe and Waldeck are still states. And so is Anhalt. North of Anhalt is called Altmark. And below Hannover is Brunswick. I gave some of the more fractured states a bit of extra land.

Map from my nuclear war timeline, the Nucliad.

image.png

10 years and 3 months after the war, the former Western United States remains shattered and divided.

In the the dryer areas and deserts in the south, authority collapsed in most places under pressure from refugees, famine and infighting. Warlords and new cults emerged from the mess in most places with a few major exceptions. The north had a higher survival rate in the aftermath, yet poor leadership led to autocrats and radicals seizing control of many regions. The few democracies that remain are sparsely populated.

The region is slowly recovering however. It seems unlikely that America might ever fully reunify, but the more stable factions are consolidating and expanding as others collapse.
Great map! It kinda reminds me of Ephraim Ben Raphael's Stars and Stripes Forever. Have you fleshed out more of this world?

Wonderful and simply MARVELLOUS! As a TL writer who attempted a somewhat realistic Timurid invasion rife with logistical problems, I quickly realised the merit of establishing supply lines.

Also you are the first one I've seen to have realised that attacking during the Jingnan crisis would ensure a Timurid victory. That means DOING away or shortening his western campaigns. Though the war Against Ottomans was averted in a rather surprising way, one can't help but wonder what would have happened if Beyazid returned the politeness Timur addressed him in the first two letters...
Sup, my dude!

I'm sorry for answering this late. I won't lie, it's mostly because of laziness; I tried to answer your message, but my mind meandered off elsewhere whenever I tried to concentrate on something; it's annoying, truth be told.

Anyway, thank you; I put tons of effort and research into making the premise plausible. Reading books by Justin Marrozi and Peter Jackson helps a lot, especially in terms of how Timur is going to reach China in the first place. After a few reads, I realized the dude was serious about the whole endeavor; to illustrate this, here are some excerpts I took from Peter Jackson's book:

> He interrogated members of the Ming embassy, as well as the leaders of a merchant caravan that had come from China, about the wealth and manpower of that country; and according to Ibn ‛Arabshāh, he sent word from Rūm to Allāhdād, his lieutenant at Āshpara, requiring a report on the terrain, routes and landmarks in the eastern regions as far as the Ming territories, evidently in preparation for his invasion.

> Yazdī writes as if Āshpara was the frontier (sarḥadd) with Jata. Near the end of his life, while preparing to attack China, Timur made further provision for agricultural development in the regions between Samarkand and Āshpara.

This also made me dive deep into Ming history, especially during Yongle's time. At first, I just wanted to know about their relations with the Timurid Empire, but I ended up reading about how China had a brief civil war between the Jianwen Emperor and his uncle-vassals, especially the future emperor, Yongle. Since the war lasted 1399-1402, I thought those years were the only good opportunity for Timur to invade, so I went with it.

And you divided the empire into three! Not one but three Timurid empires, together with Golden horde and Ottomans would be a nigh unstoppable conquering machine. Though now with the big man dead they'll soon start squabbling and I can't wait to see what you do with Babur, if you have the will to continue.

Yeah, I plan to write a thread on Babur's invasion of China, especially under the format of the Baburnama. It'll be interesting to see him chronicle his, and what he thinks about China. More importantly, what does he think about the local melons there, lol.

Also which basemap did you use?

I generated the map through QGIS, my dude! If you don't mind waiting, I'm making a video tutorial on it. It's been a long time since I made something for YouTube, so it'll be neat to teach folks how to georeference something.

Finally, peace in Yemen (2025)
"Yemen had been engulfed in endless war for more than a decade, but this was coming to an end.
After the normalisation of relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran, they decided to negotiate how could the war in Yemen end once and for all. After harsh negotiations brokered by China between Iran, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and their respective Yemeni allies, the Houtis, the Presidential Leadership Council and the Southern Transitional Council, a peace plan was agreed: the partition of Yemen in three states, one ruled by each party, with economic and trade agreements between them to facilitate the post-war economic recovery. A creative solution for sure, but how will it avoid future conflicts remains uncertain."
95Swi9S.png

(not meant to be realistic)

Finally, peace in Yemen (2025)
"Yemen had been engulfed in endless war for more than a decade, but this was coming to an end.
After the normalisation of relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran, they decided to negotiate how could the war in Yemen end once and for all. After harsh negotiations brokered by China between Iran, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and their respective Yemeni allies, the Houtis, the Presidential Leadership Council and the Southern Transitional Council, a peace plan was agreed: the partition of Yemen in three states, one ruled by each party, with economic and trade agreements between them to facilitate the post-war economic recovery. A creative solution for sure, but how will it avoid future conflicts remains uncertain."
95Swi9S.png

(not meant to be realistic)
Pretty good, but that might be too close to current events to be a map.

Should we assume that the Vistula is internationalised, or that whatever country controls Poland has a port of its own - say, Klaipeda or Odessa ?
My original assumption was that Poland and Germany had to work out a thing so Poland could use Danzig, but the Vistula being international works better. Poland is still independent in this map, though.

Pretty good, but that might be too close to current events to be a map.
Does it count as CE if it’s implausible or unlikely? Or is the degree of implausibility the key point? Does ASB fly if it’s about modernity? We know it certainly does sometimes, but if it’s a “flashpoint” does that count as “get out of here and go to chat”?

Does it count as CE if it’s implausible or unlikely? Or is the degree of implausibility the key point? Does ASB fly if it’s about modernity? We know it certainly does sometimes, but if it’s a “flashpoint” does that count as “get out of here and go to chat”?
A sectarian civil war in Yemen is a thing that is currently happening. Ergo, anything referencing it could be classed as being current politics, or at least current politics adjacent

a thing that is currently happening.
More than that, it’s a flashpoint. Stuff like “what if 1/10th of 1% of the global population got a superpower today” is “current events” and therefore banned under that definition. I’m totally fine with “any discussion of flashpoints is banned regardless of context.” I just don’t know what the degree is. Is there a “casual” current event category?

jEJ0K2n.png

Continuing my CP victory series
Nathaniel Blackwood (born 1930) is a British politician who rose to prominence in the mid-20th century as a charismatic leader and founder of the Vanguard Party. His political career was marked by a meteoric rise within the Conservative Party, followed by the formation of the Vanguard Party and subsequent electoral success.

Early Career and Rise to Prominence (1955–1960):

Nathaniel Blackwood entered politics in 1955 when he was elected to the British Parliament as a member of the Conservative Party at the age of 25. His youthfulness and dynamic personality quickly made him a standout figure within the party, earning him widespread recognition as the voice of a new generation of conservative leaders. Blackwood's impassioned speeches and rallying calls for national renewal resonated with a British electorate disillusioned by the perceived decline of their country on the world stage.

In the ensuing years, Blackwood embarked on a nationwide tour, holding rallies and public events to promote his vision of a revitalized United Kingdom. His message, which emphasized the need for Britain to reclaim its former glory and assert its dominance on the global stage, struck a chord with many voters who yearned for change in the face of economic stagnation and geopolitical uncertainty.

Formation of the Sherwood Forest (1960–1964):

The momentum of Blackwood's political career continued to build, culminating in significant gains for the Conservative Party in the 1960 general election. As the party's star rose, so too did Blackwood's influence within its ranks. However, tensions began to emerge between Blackwood and the more centrist elements of the Conservative Party, who viewed his nationalist rhetoric and populist appeal with suspicion.

A distinct faction emerged within its ranks, known colloquially as the "'The Woodies" and "The Merrymen of Westminster" with Blackwood portrayed as a new Robin Hood., drawing inspiration from the ancient legends of Sherwood Forest. As the Woodies as they also were called formed a voting block that could not be defeated by "Sheriff" Charles Campbell. Comprised of ultra-conservative and nationalist members, this faction coalesced around Blackwood's leadership and vision for a revitalized United Kingdom.

As Blackwood's influence within the Conservative Party grew, so too did the power and prominence of the Woodie faction. Members of this faction were staunch advocates for Blackwood's nationalist agenda, advocating for policies aimed at restoring Britain's status as a global power and championing the interests of the British people above all else.

The Woodies wielded considerable influence within the Conservative Party, forming a cohesive voting bloc that supported Blackwood's leadership and agenda. Their rise to prominence signaled a shift within the party, as traditional conservative values gave way to a more assertive and nationalist ideology under Blackwood's guidance.

The Split and Formation of the Vanguard Party (1964):

Despite initial encouragement from within the Conservative Party, tensions between the Woodie faction and the more centrist elements of the party began to escalate. Blackwood's uncompromising stance on key issues and his growing influence within the party hierarchy fueled divisions that ultimately led to a fracture within the Conservative Party. As the Conservatives made moves to isolate the Merrymen by getting them off the upcoming party ticket.

In 1964, Nathaniel Blackwood made the pivotal decision to break away from the Conservative Party and form his own political movement, the Vanguard Party. This move, which came as a shock to the British political establishment, was driven by Blackwood's belief that the Conservative Party had lost its way and no longer represented the interests of the British people.

The formation of the Vanguard Party marked a significant turning point in British politics, as Blackwood sought to establish a new political force dedicated to advancing his nationalist agenda. Many members of the Woodie faction quickly rallied to Blackwood's banner, joining the Vanguard Party and leaving the Conservative Party fractured and weakened in its wake.

With the establishment of the Vanguard Party, Blackwood emerged as the undisputed leader of a burgeoning nationalist movement, poised to reshape the political landscape of the United Kingdom and chart a new course for the country's future.

Election of 1964
In the 1964 election, the Vanguard Party, under the leadership of Nathaniel Blackwood, made significant gains, capitalizing on growing nationalist sentiment and dissatisfaction with the traditional conservative and liberal factions. However, neither the Vanguard Party nor the Conservative Party secured an outright majority in parliament.

Following the election, negotiations ensued between the Conservative Party and the Liberal Party to form a coalition government. Despite ideological differences, the two parties forged an alliance in the interest of stability and governance. This coalition, often referred to as the Conservative-Liberal Coalition, aimed to bridge the gap between center-right and center-left ideologies and govern through consensus.

However, tensions simmered within the coalition over key policy issues, including foreign policy and defense. Beginning from the very start as the Liberal party agreed to join the coalilition only on the condition that Britain withdrawal from India, which was accepted. Blackwood used this to further galvanize the public and show that the C-L coalition was further weakening the country.

Issues came to a head in 1966 when deciding a response to Japanese aggression, with the Liberal Party advocating for a more cautious approach and the Conservative Party, under pressure from the Vanguard Party, pushing for a more assertive stance.
Japanese Aggression and Electoral Landslide (1966)

In a dramatic turn of events, the fragile coalition government formed by the Conservative and Liberal parties faced a critical test in October 1966. As tensions simmered within the coalition over key policy disagreements, including foreign intervention in response to Japanese aggression, mounting dissent culminated in a vote of no confidence after the Liberal party broke from the coalition and blocked a motion to send additional forces to Malay and Singapore. . The Conservative Prime Minister, unable to command a majority in parliament, sought a dissolution of parliament from the king, triggering snap elections scheduled for November 14th. However, just three days before the scheduled election, Japan launched a brazen attack on British territories in Southeast Asia, plunging the nation into a state of crisis. The sudden escalation of hostilities provided a stark reminder of the external threats facing Britain and fueled a sense of urgency among the electorate. Against this backdrop of uncertainty and national emergency, the Vanguard Partyseized the moment to galvanize support for its nationalist agenda, the Vanguard Party scored a resounding electoral victory, sweeping to power in a landslide victory. With a clear mandate from the British people, Blackwood and the Vanguard Party embarked on a mission to restore national pride, reclaim Britain's status as a global power, and chart a new course for the country's future.
I like the use of AI for the people.

kH9SMqm.png

Alternate timeline where Louisiana is still part of France.

-France ceded the east bank of the Mississippi to England way back
-France DIDN'T cede the whole west bank to Spain, only territory north of the Red River (OTL border between Texas and Oklahoma)
-USA remains weak and federalised, instead of centralising, evolves into something like the modern EU
-Native groups are able to use support from Spain and France to assert themselves to equal status with states in the union

I don't know much about Louisiana, so if any region names seem odd please tell me. I chose parish names over city names, since I thought they fit better.