Map Thread XXII

I’ve genuinely never understood why DC “deserves” to be a state. Fold its population back into Maryland for representation, just like Alexandria County was folded back into Virginia as a compromise about slavery. If DC counts as a “state,” what stops every single city in the country from also declaring statehood and utterly destroying the system? And the Dakotas being split is pretty obvious. It follows the physical pattern set by the rest of the states in its vertical lineup.

I’ve genuinely never understood why DC “deserves” to be a state. Fold its population back into Maryland for representation, just like Alexandria County was folded back into Virginia as a compromise about slavery. If DC counts as a “state,” what stops every single city in the country from also declaring statehood and utterly destroying the system? And the Dakotas being split is pretty obvious. It follows the physical pattern set by the rest of the states in its vertical lineup.
every DCion " Cause we're the Captiol and govenrment do what we say"

I’ve genuinely never understood why DC “deserves” to be a state. Fold its population back into Maryland for representation, just like Alexandria County was folded back into Virginia as a compromise about slavery.
Because neither DC nor Maryland seem to want that.
If DC counts as a “state,” what stops every single city in the country from also declaring statehood and utterly destroying the system?
The fact that none of them are federal districts and don’t fit the unique nature of this situation?

well, this took waaay too long
Well worth the wait.

On a whim I juxtaposed your giant India and giant China...

1702840785377.png

1702840960804.png

The results were not as edifying as hoped for (Though it is interesting to note which territories were shared)

Attachments

• 1702840948306.png
    1702840948306.png
    72 KB · Views: 231

Bytor

Monthly Donor

As a Canadian I have no skin in this game, but let try and think of some possible reasons.

Because it's all arbitrary, anyways?

It's more populous than Vermont and Wyoming. Perhaps those two should just be folded into a neighbour?

It's GDP is 35th out of 51?

If it’s a state, it stops being a federal district and loses its uniqueness.

Yeah, that's the point of making it a state. So it gets representation.

All other cities already have representation by being in states. So DC becoming a state doesn't give all the other incentive to try to become states themselves.

Maryland doesn't want it and DC doesn't want this. This is kind of like saying "Just forcibly graft a leg onto someone's arm socket, why would they refuse this? They want a limb there don't they???"

DC wants representation of its own and has been a distinct political and cultural entity for 230+ years. Give it to them.

Yeah, that's the point of making it a state. So it gets representation.

All other cities already have representation by being in states. So DC becoming a state doesn't give all the other incentive to try to become states themselves.
It absolutely, 100% does have an incentive. As it stands each state supplies at a minimum 3 Congress people. Each city supplies...0, or say 0.0000xyz when you divide the amount of Congress people by the number of cities in the state. Each city being a state would give them huge representation over rural areas.

It absolutely, 100% does have an incentive. As it stands each state supplies at a minimum 3 Congress people. Each city supplies...0, or say 0.0000xyz when you divide the amount of Congress people by the number of cities in the state. Each city being a state would give them huge representation over rural areas.

Probably more of an incentive to Puerto Rico and Guam than any random city in the continental US.

DC is already a separate political entity just below federal level. Rather than a city being given statehood it is a US territory gaining Statehood. Something that has happened many times in the past.

Dang it's like... the places with more people need more representatives than the places with less people...

A quick one:

pyq9c83nwg4.png

Hawaii in Giant Canada World, part of the broader Anglo-Pacific world by way of volumes of immigrants from India and the Mediterranean. Sadly the Hawaiian monarchy didn't survive the scheming of British sugarcane planters and the Royal Navy in the late 1800s, by which time the British public wanted their canned pineapple and didn't much care how they got it. GCW Hawaii is less wealthy than OTL, with its politics partially divided into ethnic blocs. More of the archipelago is owned by the public after various buyouts from rich fruit company heirs over the years. The Canadian and British Navies still park in Pearl Harbour (with a U) because Hawaii isn't exactly a military powerhouse beyond a few coastal patrol boats. Hawaii's one of those places that gets some advantage from the Second Empire trade pact that the British Empire has evolved into: A lot of people from the bigger Pacific and North American parts of the Anglosphere show up here in winter because the customs barriers to traveling within the pact countries are quite low.

Also whoever put down their coffee on the map, I'm gonna drink it. I'm gonna drink it all up.

Last edited:
Probably more of an incentive to Puerto Rico and Guam than any random city in the continental US.

DC is already a separate political entity just below federal level. Rather than a city being given statehood it is a US territory gaining Statehood. Something that has happened many times in the past.
Still an incentive, but yeah, safe to say it's NOT going to happen for any city except Washington, D.C.
Dang it's like... the places with more people need more representatives than the places with less people...
Okay? I don't care one way or the other, just saying the incentive exists for any entity of people to be represented more heavily.

DC has its own special court of appeals. Even if you gave it the same representation as Maryland in the Senate, it would be for a very different area with a very different governance structure and political history. You might as well fold Kansas into California for Senate representation at that point.

Warning
Maryland sucks lol, it's a shithole