Map Thread XXII

If Belgium is French, why is DRC-Rwanda-Burundi some other colour?

Belgian Congo or Belgium are the only two possible countries that could reduce those 3 countries to 1 single one. And I didn't feel like adding clutter in Europe so I went with the colonial state over the European one.
Also, I didn't fully explain the rules but long story short I prioritized countries that hold territory that has never been owned by any other country, so to those starter countries I gave maximum claims, which is why I had France overwrite Belgium. The other mandatory starter countries are UK, Russia, Scandinavia, and Japan

Why noy give Mongolia to China?
Mongolia was more recently controlled by Soviet Russia than Qing China, and priority goes to the most recent ownership in case of competing claims

Belgian Congo or Belgium are the only two possible countries that could reduce those 3 countries to 1 single one. And I didn't feel like adding clutter in Europe so I went with the colonial state over the European one.
Also, I didn't fully explain the rules but long story short I prioritized countries that hold territory that has never been owned by any other country, so to those starter countries I gave maximum claims, which is why I had France overwrite Belgium. The other mandatory starter countries are UK, Russia, Scandinavia, and Japan

Mongolia was more recently controlled by Soviet Russia than Qing China, and priority goes to the most recent ownership in case of competing claims
But it was never annexed by the USSR.

This was a similar concept I did a while back called maximum the imperialism: Earth with as few countries as possible.

I combined the countries based only on territories that they historically controlled, including vassals/satellite states and personal unions in Scandinavia and Iberia.

There are overlaps in claims, so I prioritized whichever country held the territory most recently.

*edit: This is a corrected version of an earlier map I made but never posted it until now

View attachment 875515
Italian east Africa was occupied by the United Kingdom during WW2, so that could be pink.
Nothing to be done about Liberia I guess
If you split china between areas that have at some point been occupied by Russia, Japan, the UK, or France would there be anything left?

Italian east Africa was occupied by the United Kingdom during WW2, so that could be pink.
Nothing to be done about Liberia I guess
If you split china between areas that have at some point been occupied by Russia, Japan, the UK, or France would there be anything left?
There would still be parts of the interior that were never reached by Japan or Russia.

Ethiopia was a tough choice, but Britain actually only took part of the territory (Ogaden). So that leaves only Italy and independent Ethiopia which governed all of Ethiopia, and since Ethiopia never got Somalia, I used the Italian claim to combine Somalia and Ethiopia into one.

But it was never annexed by the USSR.
Colonies, vassals, and personal unions count since the controlled countries are not independent, even if they get official administrative autonomy.

Colonies, vassals, and personal unions count since the controlled countries are not independent, even if they get official administrative autonomy.

Mongolia was never any of those to the USSR though, it was a monarchy then had a revolution that allied to the Soviets and remained close to them as arguably one of the, if not the only, state to do so willingly due to fears of China trying to annex it; there's a reason Mongolia was able to easily transition to multiparty democracy after the Soviet collapse.

Last edited:
Mongolia was never any of those to the USSR though, it was a monarchy then had a revolution that allied to the Soviets and remained close to them as arguably one of the, if not the only, state to do so willingly due to fears of China trying to annex it; there's a reason Mongolia was cable to easily transition to multiparty democracy after the Soviet collapse.
By definition, a state that lacks diplomatic autonomy and is forced to take its military orders from another is a client state which is a form of colony/vassal so in my book is absolutely counts as a not fully independent country, since it's foreign policy was dependent on Russia. It doesn't matter how tight or loose its domestic politics looked.

By definition, a state that lacks diplomatic autonomy and is forced to take its military orders from another is a client state which is a form of colony/vassal so in my book is absolutely counts as a not fully independent country, since it's foreign policy was dependent on Russia. It doesn't matter how tight or loose its domestic politics looked.

Again, Mongolia CHOSE to ally itself to the Soviets, had it decided that siding with China during the Sino-Soviet was the better idea it would have ceased being a Soviet Ally; Mongolia's Foreign Policy (that being following the Soviet line) was more a case of being forced between two geopolitical realities than a popularly opposed policy being enforced by gunpoint.

Incidentally a Colony is a very different thing from a Vassal or Client State; a Colony is an area that is legally the sovereign territory of a country but that is not integrated as an equal part, a Vassal State or Puppet State are legally independent, but have either through choice or force agreed to allow another country to dictate aspects of policy while a Client State can include Associated States which voluntarily enter into Association Agreements with a larger state, which usually just entail the larger state agreeing to provide defence/military in return for agreed upon conditions (favorable trade, basing rights etc.), but notably can be ended by the Associate State itself.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
The problem with gradients is that it would require a custom gradient for each parish, and there are 873 of them.

With all 4 it adds up to 100%, and that is conceptually easy to construct a multi-colour ramp with the gradient stops based on the stacked percentages, though still a lot of work to make almost 900 of them. However, I think that would look very messy with each parish having a 4-colour gradient like that and not be an easy or intuitive map to read unless it were really large and each parish was easily discernable.

But when you're only doing the top 2 in each parish, how do you show 60% Erse and 23% Scottis? You can't just normalise to 100 and make it 60/83 = 72% and 23/83 = 28%, as other combinations like 50% and 19% would also end up to 50/69 = 72% and 19/69 = 28% and look exactly the same though they should look different.

This is what it looks like with the background colour of mostly common home language weighted, and the second most kept as sized squares (temporary image).
Colours change for Norn and Inglis, hopefully for better contrast & visibility
Resized from A4 to A2, 6923x4868
Thumbnail:
Republic of Scotland - Majority and Minority Languages at Home - 6 - thumbnail.png

Comments, please, as to what works or does not work.

Last edited:
Again, Mongolia CHOSE to ally itself to the Soviets, had it decided that siding with China during the Sino-Soviet was the better idea it would have ceased being a Soviet Ally; Mongolia's Foreign Policy (that being following the Soviet line) was more a case of being forced between two geopolitical realities than a popularly opposed policy being enforced by gunpoint.

Incidentally a Colony is a very different thing from a Vassal or Client State; a Colony is an area that is legally the sovereign territory of a country but that is not integrated as an equal part, a Vassal State or Puppet State are legally independent, but have either through choice or force agreed to allow another country to dictate aspects of policy while a Client State can include Associated States which voluntarily enter into Association Agreements with a larger state, which usually just entail the larger state agreeing to provide defence/military in return for agreed upon conditions (favorable trade, basing rights etc.), but notably can be ended by the Associate State itself.
I'm sure the soviet invasion of mongolia at the end of the russian civil war was completely voluntary on the part of the mongols. That they had their communist revolution right when when the red army had set up camp there must have been a very lucky coincidence.

Look, I'm using the words colony and vassal in a very loose sense, because I'm not interested in publishing a full paper on the nature of state sovereignty every time I share a map. The voluntary association debate is irrelevant. Russia controlled Mongolia and used whatever window dressing it had to to make it look legit.

Just something I made more because I wanted to visualize it, also the last one I'm posting before posting the actual normal country map.

NOTES:
1. Færsomenary is equivalent to OTL Parliamentary; ITTL the term for legislature that was popularized, Færsomen, came from the Germanic speaking Græswaldland.
2. Absolute Monarchies began declining in Europe ITTL earlier hence both the existence of more monarchies but also the existence of monarchs with actual roles within democracies.
3. Græswaldland (larger Southern German country) is unique in that while it is technically a Monarchy, the Monarchy has no political power at all and is purely ceremonial and cultural similar to the OTL Japanese Emperor, and is essentially a de facto republic.

Hexenstat Europe Monarchies and Republics (2020).png

well, this took waaay too long. Props to those fine creators which inspired me: @SRegan , @Nugax, @tormsen, @Planet of Hats, and Silas-Coldwine over on deviantart.

Let me know if you can't see this.
the Chinas are cool even the PRC version - what happened to surviving American- Chinese?
British-commonwealth Japan is cool - We’ll meet again had that if I remember due to British (HEIC) colonization
Also Colombia as a hyperpower is fresh

Last edited: