Map Thread XXII

Thanks. I don't know if I will make a map myself, but I love this alternate geography map.
Glad you like this.
More generally: Do you think an independent Doggerland has potential to be a colonising power in the Age of Exploration and Colonisation?
I'd say that's possible. Given it's an island, it would make sense for it to be a naval power of some sort.

Plus, if we're honest, it's surrounded by Scandinavia, Britain and the Netherlands... All of whom had pretty strong naval traditions and established colonies (though Denmark and Sweden's were a bit more modest compared to the others in the Age of Exploration). Assuming Doggerland has a somewhat similar cultural make-up as any of those, I don't see what's stopping them. Not to mention they'd likely have to deal with these neighbors.

Of course, there is also the simple answer: it's AH, everything is possible even if you have to use ASB.

Source: u/Leviawhale
Most well known countries per Sporcle

View attachment 874348
Assuming everything above 70% - the cream colour that includes Thailand- is general knowledge, can this be used for wanks focusing on well known countries (and maybe including a couple stateless peoples like the Kurds, Tibetans, the Tuareg, the Zulus, Assyrians and so on)?

95-100%: Canada, US, Russia, China, Mexico
90-95%: Brazil, India, Australia, Spain, France, Germany, Britain
Kinda said Rwanda is only better known than Burundi because of the genocide.

I realized I haven't posted my new rendition of Byzantine Empires here, so enjoy 3 unholy abominations one may call an 'empire'

byzantine_empires___the_empire_of_the_romans_by_nizamz7_dgcxvgr.png

byzantine_empires___the_holy_roman_empire_by_nizamz7_dggipz8 (1).png

UKNS.png

More silliness from me:

j7mmcl6p387.png

Southeast Asia in Giant Canada World, map only. In general, China's done very well here and so has Burma.

There's no unified Indonesia. "Negara Mardika" (the Liberated Country) is a revolutionary military state that overthrew the post-colonial United States of the East Indies, replacing the unstable and illegitimate Dutch-organized democratic regime with one claiming to be anti-colonial and anti-European but really more concerned with control. The United Malayonesian Sultanates, meanwhile, are a highly federated collection of traditionally-organized sultanates banded together in a big confederation. Johor, the most prosperous of them, refused to join and went its own way, in part because of different administrations.

Siam got cut up like a roast to provide Britain and France buffers between their colonies. Vietnam was a purely French venture until after the Great World War, when it and French Indochina got divvied up into occupation zones. The north of Vietnam was the Chinese zone, the central the Austrian zone and the south the German zone, but Austria promptly collapsed and China happily let the north move in to retake Hue. The south holds on because they view the north as a China-backed satellite state.
As a vietnamese person, why would the South rename itself after a feudal creation of the Nguyen lords? Deadass "South Vietnam" might do the trick

As a vietnamese person, why would the South rename itself after a feudal creation of the Nguyen lords? Deadass "South Vietnam" might do the trick
They may name themselves something different, but they live in a world where their all-powerful cartographer has a very surface-level understanding of Vietnam.

Source: u/Leviawhale
Most well known countries per Sporcle

View attachment 874348
Assuming everything above 70% - the cream colour that includes Thailand- is general knowledge, can this be used for wanks focusing on well known countries (and maybe including a couple stateless peoples like the Kurds, Tibetans, the Tuareg, the Zulus, Assyrians and so on)?

95-100%: Canada, US, Russia, China, Mexico
90-95%: Brazil, India, Australia, Spain, France, Germany, Britain
Also as a followup here are the Pacific Islands results from Sporcle
IMG_0088.png

GjosQ2k.png

For some ancient history: The Highland Paths of the Caprisian Wars

For the stuff of myth and legend: The reunified Soviet Union in exile, 2312

Xanthe is one of the oldest-inhabited regions of Mars, with archeological evidence suggesting it was colonized directly from Earth - though this remains a controversial conclusion. Its position straddling the Caprisian Straits into the deep and rich Mariner's Valley made it one of the key political players in Western Mars, alongside other powers like Kasei, Tempe, and the Margaritafers. After peaking in strength after its victory in the Caprisian Wars of the 7th and 8th centuries, its power was slowly eclipsed as the rise of the powerful North Margaritafer province, economically buoyed by caravan routes across Arabia, made it difficult for it to leverage its geopolitical situation.

Currently, Xanthe is a middling power, though it remains one of the richer societies in the otherwise poor Northwest Mars region. It retains age-old claims over minor islands in the straits, but these disputes have not been active for decades now. It is gradually transitioning from its agricultural economy to one focused on refining and manufacturing. Meanwhile, its hereditary governors have in recent history devolved more power to their assemblies - partially a bid to cool the simmering ethnic tensions caused by its diverse population, split three ways between the various craterlanders of the north who have always made up the political elite, the seafaring merchants of the littoral south and east, and the rough hetmen of the west. But will liberalization create, at long last, a united society, or tear back open the wounds of the separatist conflicts of the late 1300s?