Map Thread XXII

Well since the file is too large, so I don't know what else to do aside from sharing the link to the map on my dA page, but as a disclaimer, let it be known that I was young(er) and reckless!, and the name for the timeline was stupid and in no way has anything to do with my actual political beliefs.

Also the description beneath is facetious in tone hence the lame dry humor. I can't stop you from judging me since that is kinda the point of sharing my work to begin with but now maybe I've skewed your judgement in my benefit if you've read this :p
Damn, AmongTheSatanic, that's a name I haven't heard for a long time
Hi, I'm amazed you ever heard it at all!

Yeah, I remember you, too! You were among my more active followers on dA!

Global Democracy Index by Country: 1975
WorldDemocracyMapDice1975.png

Map of countries in my "Rolling the Dice" project as of 1975, ranked on the democracy index which goes from 0-10, 0 being the least democratic, and 10 being the most.​
Top 5:
1. Republic of Sweden
2. Republic of Norway
3. Kingdom of Iceland
4. United States of America
5. United Kingdom of the Netherlands, Belgium, the Dutch Antilles, & Dutch Guiana

Bottom 5:
1. Khanate of Kalat
2. Kingdom of Tibet
3. Sultanate of Darfur
4. Sofala Republic
5. Kingdom of Bhutan

Yeah, I remember you, too! You were among my more active followers on dA!
Yes I rabidly follow everyone who makes maps and that I've encountered here (though I've been diligent to avoid national flamebaiting who can't map on an intellectual level, but thats a solely DeviantART problem and I don't browse there very much I only follow peoples signatures from here nowadays :p )

I agree but its a matter of length right? Or representation?
Natural borders are like fractals, measuring them at different resolutions will give you very different numbers for their perimeters/lengths. Generally, higher resolution will return longer lengths, and lower resolution will return shorter lengths
It's because you're taking a less direct (and thus longer) path to get from point a to point b on the higher resolution map
Compare this "measurement" of the border between Texas and Nuevo Leon, made with more detail
1695882992537.png

To this one, which is using a lower resolution, giving a length of only 11.6 miles
1695883099807.png

The effect is pretty small, especially over a small area like this without many crazy curves and not too much difference in the amount of measurement points per unit length. But, if you were to measure a large distance twice, along, say, a river with a lot of curves, you can see how it would add up quick.

Global Democracy Index by Country: 1975
View attachment 858723
Map of countries in my "Rolling the Dice" project as of 1975, ranked on the democracy index which goes from 0-10, 0 being the least democratic, and 10 being the most.​
Top 5:
1. Republic of Sweden
2. Republic of Norway
3. Kingdom of Iceland
4. United States of America
5. United Kingdom of the Netherlands, Belgium, the Dutch Antilles, & Dutch Guiana

Bottom 5:
1. Khanate of Kalat
2. Kingdom of Tibet
3. Sultanate of Darfur
4. Sofala Republic
5. Kingdom of Bhutan

Are Tibet and Bhutan Buddhist theocracies?

qm2dt9lvsyqb1.png

AFSNES: The Kingdom of Liguria - 700 AD
Hello everybody!
With this map, still done with Inkscape, we go back to the world of AFSNES, a collaborative alternate history map-game hosted in Civ Fanatics Forum many years ago, and the subject of my first few works.
While previously I depicted the state of the world at the start of the game, and I made a few maps about the various empire that populated the alternate history built collaboratively by the players and the AFSNES’ mod, Das, for this one I finally decided to dedicate my work to the nation I actually played (and wich I actually tried to hide up until this point), the Kingdom of Liguria.

Being the “creator” of this nation (even though Das had to patch up my haphazard plans and ideas quite much, especially at the start of the game, to make any sense of my game orders, and therefore could claim the paternity as much as me), I felt much more freedom in my attempt to describe it, both in the map and the lore behind it, filling the voids left in Liguria’s history and present, trying to let it look as much as possible as a “real” nation, or at least a realistic one.
I hope I was able do such in an enjoyable way, shining a light on a relatively small part of AFNES’ world, a part that I hold much dear.

THE KINGDOM OF LIGURIA

In the year 700 AD (of Agade Dag) [1] the Kingdom of Liguria stands at a crossroad.

The Dark Age, a long period of social upheaval, destructive migrations, state collapse, but also long-awaited changes, opening of new horizons, and diffusion of new ideas, was surprisingly mild for Liguria, at least compared to much of its neighbours.
While some daring Germanic raids actually endangered the already-diminished Kingdom, its mountain fortress weathered the storm, and when the situation stabilized, Liguria found itself in the perfect situation to actually expand for the first since centuries, expanding over much of the Alps and the Eridanus Valley [2], bringing unprecedented wealth and growth.
Still, the weight of this quick expansion, the increasing diplomatical isolation and the age of the Ligurian royal edifice are putting a growing strain on the foundations of the kingdom; where the Priest-King once wielded absolute power, both political and religious, now most of the land is divided among many bickering local potentates, entrenched in their ever-growing castles and paying tribute or increasingly nominal homage to their overlord in Belesova [3].
The next decades are going to be crucial for Liguria, with much opportunities arising, and many dangers lurking just beyond the horizon.

The Priest-Kings

The head of the Kingdom, and its linchpin, is the Priest-King, a hierocratical leader with (theoretical) absolute power over both spiritual and temporal affairs.
The unusual figure of the Priest-King was born out of a rather peculiar situation at the dawn of Liguria itself, when the High Priests of the local cult of Belenu in the trading settlement of Genua first seized power in the city, then became the champions of the Ligurian cause against Tartessian aggression, with High Priest Cycnu eventually becoming the head of the first united Ligurian polity and the first Priest-King.
From that point onward the Priest-Kings never really lost their stranglehold over Liguria, although their actual political authority waxed and waned over the years, from absolute control during the Hermit Kingdom [4] phase (380 BC – 92 AD), to an almost figurehead role in the more recent years.
The dynastic line of the Priest-Kings is from a theoretically unbroken line from the foundation of the Kingdom up to current times, but outside of the common people this is considered more or less a fairytale; it’s well known among noble families that during numerous points of Ligurian history the Priest-Kings, maybe unable to actually have a progeny, maybe on their deathbed too soon, resorted to a kind of holy adoption of promising young men welcoming them into the Royal House, thus preserving its sanctity and the connection with the founder of the Kingdom; the particularly sheltered life that the royal house experience, with few outside the Priest-Kings itself actually seen outside the Royal Palace in Belesova, allows this peculiar charade to go on.

The informal system of holy adoptions has been occasionally used by the noble families as a way to influence albeit temporarily the royal court, forcing particularly inept or disinterested kings to adopt a family member as their heir presumptive; the adoptee once ascended to the throne would generally favour their original family, but the sheer holiness of the royal bloodline has so far prevented any attempt of outright substitution of the royal house, and the adopted Priest-King would eventually pick his heir from one of the previous king’s family members.
The habit of adoption of promising heirs has seeped to the noble houses, and subsequently also to the masses; it’s not unheard that promising commoners get a ticket to upper society after entering into the graces of older landowners.
Once a new Priest-King is anointed, usually after an elaborated ceremony involving a symbolic ascent up to the Temple of Bodincobego [5], they forgo their previous name, and take on a new totemic regnal name. The current Priest-King is called Cycnu XXXIV (“Swan”), while other frequent names are Arthu (“Boar”), Dammo (“Deer”) and Lebero (“Rabbit”); in most cases the choice of the totemic animal is a kind of political statement about the intent of their reign, with the more fearsome animals chosen by the more warlike kings.

The Royal Domain

Liguria in 700 AD is a much fractured kingdom, where local potentates wrestle for more power and more land, kept together by the sacrality of the Priest-King and a wide network of local prelates bestowed with both religious and political power; in fact, thanks to the hierocratical nature of its king, the division between spiritual and temporal matters in very blurry, if not inexistent,
Still, the area under the direct control of the Priest-King has shrunk considerably in the past centuries, and now extends over the Helvetic Plateau [6] to the north of the Lake of Belusio [7]. Albeit reduced the Royal Domain is still one of the most populous and extensive compared to the royal vassals, thus bolstering the king’s authority and helping him rein in the more rebellious ones.
The capital of the Kingdom is Belesova, a large city located on northern coast of Belusio, extending from the Hill of Belenu [8], where the Royal Palace is located, to the lake-shore.
Belesova has been the capital only in the past few centuries, roughly from the Tartessian conquest of Genua during Dominos Kostanthios IV’s [9] conquests in 456 AD; the other previous capital Ottoduro [10], never really recovered from the devastation during Gorgoris’ Folly [11] in 60 BC and is now a much smaller city under the control of a lesser vassal, while Genua, despite its undeniable role as a holy place, its historical importance and its place in the Mediterranean trade network, was deemed by the Priest-King as too vulnerable to foreign invasions, thus never moving back the capital after its liberation from Tartessian occupation in 492 AD.

In two century and half Belesova has greatly grown, as is now the most populous settlement in the kingdom; While not exactly a city of marble, Belesova has greatly benefited from the presence of the Priest-Kings, and is littered with great temples, noble mansions, and public spaces. The city is dominated by the Royal Palace, but the most impressive structure are the Great Walls protecting the inner city; built during the apex of Germanic incursions in the 5th century, they have been meticulously maintained in the past century, and paired with a string of fortresses across the valley they make Belesova one of the most fortified places in Europe.
Despite the significance of the Royal Palace and the ceremonies held there, it's the temple at the slopes of the Bodincobego Mountain [12] that is the most important and the more popular among Belesova's population. In fact, most of the city dwellers and the inhabitants of the Royal domain engage in a sort of yearly small pilgrimage towards the peak; the route is littered with taverns, inns, and smaller chapels and temples for those who are not able to complete the journey. The typical route stops at the Great Temple of Belenu, but even higher up the Mountain dwells the Royal Temple, open only for the royal anointing at the start of the Priest-Kings' reign and attended by a small group of hermit monks.

The Royal Cities

The direct authority of the Priest-Kings doesn't stop at the borders of his personal domain, but extend to four Royal Cities located in strategic places around the Kingdom, holding particular religious, commercial or political significance. The Cities are governed by the Judges, high prelates of the Belenist church hand-picked by the Royal court and bestowed with religious and administrative powers, working in unison with a city council composed of local powerful men.
The Royal Cities answer directly to the authority of the Priest-Kings, paradoxically giving them quite more freedom than the average nobleman-owned city; this allowed their development as commercial centres and an obligatory stop for Ligurian and foreign merchants, contributing greatly to the wealth of their lord.
The prestige imbued in the position of the Judge, and the location of the Royal Cities, nestled on the border between the greater noble domains that share the Eridanian Plain [13], give even greater importance to their role in the Kingdom: dispute between Cunars [14] and between their vassals are frequently resolved peacefully by the Judges, under the watchful eye of the Priest-King.

The first and foremost city is Genua [15], the birthplace of Liguria and its religious and commercial heart. Despite no intention to move back the capital, once reconquered the city was put under royal authority while the rest of the coast was divided between hungry nobles.
The loss of its central position, the brief second Tartessian interlude and the damage inflicted by the great Germanic raid of 512 AD greatly affected Genua, but its undeniably great position, its historical role and the benevolent neglect of the Priest-Kings allowed the city to grew back into a mercantile centre, more cosmopolitan than the average Ligurian city (not like it’s saying much, as the Ligurians are a closed-minded bunch) and quite populous, vying with Belesova for the largest city of the kingdom.
The old Royal Palace didn’t survive unscathed the Tartessian control, and now only partially rebuilt is the home of the local Judge. The port has been rebuild and expanded, and is frequented by Latin, Arganthine, Tarekid and Numidian [16] ships, with the occasional visit from Corcyran and Arabian [17] visitors. Despite being outside of the borders of the Royal City proper, the Genuan Judge has also authority over the Shrine of Beigua [18], the oldest and more venerable of the Belenist temples, miraculously (or, more probably, pragmatically) untouched by the Tartessians during their reign.

The second Royal City, both chronologically and in importance, is Mediolano [19]. Situated in the middle of the Eridanian Plain, and originally built by the local Celto-Ligurian population of the Insubri, Mediolano was transformed into a border fortress by the invading Athanoi [20] as a bulwark against the neighbouring Ligurians. Eventually over the centuries the Ligurian-Athanid relationship became more friendly, especially after the 1st century AD; Ligurian merchants frequented and inhabited the city, attracted by the friendly and culturally-alike local population, allowing Mediolano to grew into a veritable city.
When Liguria began the conquest of the Eridanian Plain at the end of the 5th century, Mediolano was the first city to be conquered; the citizenry actually welcomed the Ligurian soldiers with open arms, as the Athanid control of the area was crumbling since decades before under pressure of Germanic and Tartar [21] raids.
Under the authority of the Priest-Kings the city grew greatly, and is now one of the most populous in the Kingdom. Mediolano is a required stop for Germanic merchants coming from the lands around the Rhine who try to bring their goods to the Mediterranean; the area where their warehouses are concentrated is increasingly called the City of the Northmen.

The third Royal City is the city of Atanopoli [22], situated in the middle of Eridania [23] and the linchpin of Ligurian authority in the area. After the conquest of the Eridanian Valley more than two thousand years ago, the Athanid Kingdom never really developed large cities, preferring to settle along the river, occupying local settlements with cavalry garrisons and keeping their tribal roots; the capital was kept itinerant as the Hierotyrannos [24] marched along the Eridanus with his court and retinues as a way to keep the order in his domain.
Gradually the Athanids abandoned their way of living, and around the end of the 1st century AD Hierotyrannos Athanasios, a religious icon and a great leader, founded the city of Athanopolis in place of a small italic settlement as the new capital of his enlarged Kingdom, after the conquest of northern Italia. It remained an important religious and political centre even as the Athanid court eventually was moved south, in Latium [25], survived the Tartar invasions and eventually returned to be the capital as the Arganthines [26] reconquered Italia and subdued the Horse Lords.
By the start of the 6th Century AD the Athanoi were finally a spent force, reduced in numbers, outnumbered by their Italic, Celtic and Ligurian subjects, and with an outdated army. Still, Athanopolis was still well defended, and there the last Hierotyrannos tried to survive the Ligurian tide; the city was conquered only after a long siege, and suffered a gruesome sack.
The conquerors repaired the fortifications, moved in Ligurian colonist, and put the former capital under the authority of a Royal Judge with the special task of rooting out the last holdouts of Athanid culture and religion; Atanopolis now looks like a veritable Ligurian city, but many still whisper in the old language of the Hippokyri [27] when far from the ears of the Priest-King.

The fourth Royal City is the city of Patavio [28], in the eastern part of the Eridanian Plain in the lands once inhabited by the Veneti. The city was already quite important under the Athanid control, considered a gateway to the Balkans and Central Europe; the Ligurians already inhabited the city, albeit in small numbers, thanks to the presence of the important shrine of Albingaunea [29], built among the hills to the south-west of the city and dedicated to Belenu Teutico.
Patavio greatly suffered the devastation brought by the Ligurian conquests, as it was one of the last holdouts of the Athanid in Eridania; the Priest-Kings brought the city under their authority both as a way to safeguard the Shrine and to use it as a base to reinforce royal authority on the eastern frontier of the Kingdom. The reign of the Royal Judges brought back prosperity, and many migrated there from the Ligurian homeland seeking new opportunities; modem Patavio is now one of the most dynamic cities of Liguria, with many passing though to Slavic lands (merchants and missionaries in equal measure), or visiting the now renovated and embellished Shrine.

The fifth and last Royal City, and the smaller one, is the city of Spina [30].
Situated in the almost impenetrable Eridanian marshes, but with a strong link with the sea, Spina was always a border city and a gateway for people and goods to pass thought, with many cultures meeting and mixing there, from Italics, Rasennans [31] and Athanids, to Romans, Hellenics and a few Ligurians.
Under the rule of the Athanoi for centuries, Spina always managed to keep its autonomy, and easily asserted its independence as the Athanid kingdom crumbled in the 6h Century under the weight of foreign invasion and popular revolts. It was only a matter of time before the Ligurians invaded the area, and the city found itself put under the authority of a Royal Judge.
Ligurian disdain for foreigners, especially coming from the sea, moderately hurt Spina’s role as a commercial centre in the Adriatic; the city nevertheless thrived as the ending point of the flourishing internal trade route over the Eridanus River and managed to grow in wealth and prosperity. The relative isolation allowed the city to avoid most of the heavy Illyrian immigration that marked the eastern coast of Italia, widening an already present cultural gap with the northern cities.

The Cunarates

While Liguria has been an exceptionally cohesive Kingdom for much of its history, the last centuries have been marked by the decaying of Royal authority, and the formation of local potentates still subordinate to the Priest-King but effectively autonomous.
The foremost among them, and effectively one of the main forces behind the decentralization of Liguria, are the Curanates, the personal domain of the four Cunars and the strongest among the vassals of Belesova.
Once a mere honorific bestowed on the Generals who lead Ligurian expansion in Eridania and Retica [32] during the Kingdom’s Heroic Age [33], the title of Cunar has evolved with the passing of time, gaining prestige and authority victory after victory, becoming hereditary and de facto the basis for the rule of the largest landowners in the Eridanian Plain.
Not every Cunar created its personal domain, and not every Cunarate managed to survive long, succumbing to political scandals, defeated after failed revolts or partitioned by its stronger neighbours; in 700 AD four still stand, stronger and richer than ever before.

Chronologically the first Cunarate to assert itself was the one built around the mercantile city of Vada Sabatia [34]; the first Cunar, the general who actually managed to defeat the Arganthine governor in Genua, after the war was denied control over the old capital by the Priest-King, but in exchange was bestowed land on the coast of Liguria proper. The renown from his victories and the wealth looted from the Arganthines gave the Cunar and his heirs gave the power base to build a strong personal domain; the modern Cunarate despite the smaller size compared to its peers is rich from the trade going out from Genua to the north to Mediolano and beyond, and the prestige from its role as the shield protecting Old Liguria [35] and its holy places.

Another Cunarate is situated in the western part of the Eridanian Plain, in the land called Taurica [36]. Based around the venerable city of Taurasia [37] and its countryside, it was forge by the Cunar tasked with the first invasion of the Athanid Kingdom, who after the resounding victory at Lausio [38] and the end of the siege of Mediolano was rewarded by the Priest-King itself with the city of Asta [39]; from there over the decades his heirs enlarged their personal domain, sealing their hegemony over the area with the conquest of Taurasia in the middle 6th Century.
Taurica and its capital were always pivotal for Liguria for its agricultural production, especially during the Hermit Kingdom; its importance nowadays is only partially reduced, still giving ample wealth and large manpower reserves to its Cunar, the main rival for the Priest-King itself.

The third Cunarate in based around the city of Bergima [40] and the imposing citadel build on top of the Hill of Cycnu [41]. Built originally by the Celto-Ligurians Orobici, the citadel of the Hill has been continuously inhabited since the 8th century BC, in particular by the Athanids who placed there a sizeable garrison. After the Ligurian conquest, Bergima was the base from where the armies tasked to conquer the Alpine arc departed, and was eventually bequeathed to the Cunar that in 523 AD defeated the Brigantine League [42] and sealed Ligurian hegemony in Retica.
The subsequent lords of the city turned their gaze away from the Alpine lands and to the much more fertile and wealthy Eridanian Plain to the south; their pre-eminence in central Eridania is being challenged only by the watchful eyes of the Royal Judges.

The fourth and last Cunarate is the domain of the Lord of Verona [43], in the eastern part of Eridania. The city has been since centuries the hub for the numerous tribes and cultures that inhabited the area, like the Veneti, Ingaunei and Retici; there stood a Roman colony when the Athanoi were still a foederate of the Italic power, and after Rome’s fall the Hippokyri never occupied properly the city, satisfied with indirect control.
The coming of the Ligurians extinguished Verona’s autonomy, and the city suffered the new situation until it was awarded to the Cunar that won the battle of Opitergio [44] in 632 AD against a particularly daring raid of Langobards and Slavs. The new lords of the city brought prosperity, especially after the conquest of Frinico [45] allowed the cunarite authorities to profit greatly from riverine trade, but the Cunarate of Verona is still less developed and seen as an upstart newcomer.

The Alpicdoms

A rather peculiar element of the Ligurian state’s structure are the Alpicdoms, small semi-autonomous polities disseminated all over the Alpine Arc.
Originally conceived in the 3rd Century BC, in the heydays of the Hermit Kingdom, by the Priest-Kings as a royal official tasked with rooting out heresy and older cults from remote mountain valleys, the Alpic changed over the centuries, becoming during the Salluvian Period [46] a noble title used like the much later Cunarate as a source of prestige and a basis for strengthening personal domains.

The upheaval caused by the Tartar invasions disrupted the power of the noble families, and the Alpic title fell into disuse. It was revived during the 5th Century when Liguria found itself both the owner of progressively more lands across the Alps and besieged by frequent Germanic incursions coming from West and North; the Pries-King decreed the establishment of the Alpicdoms (repurposing the old title), military settlements on the Alps tasked with ensuring royal control of newly conquered valleys and plateaus and the defence of the much vital Alpine passes that allowed the safe passage of Ligurian soldiers and goods; the new Alpic was supposed to remain strictly non-hereditary and easily removable by royal fiat.

The Alpicdoms ended up covering the Alpine Arc from Ebrundo [47] to Agunto [48], abating the Germanic raids thanks to the construction of more and more impressive mountain fortresses, and securing Ligurian control over the isolated valleys of the interior. The remoteness of the Alpicdoms however ensured that once the authority of the Priest-Kings receded under the strain of the recent conquests and continued external aggression, they quickly attained a progressively greater degree of autonomy, and eventually became hereditary. Now the various Alpics lord over their mountaintop castles, entrenched over their positions and reluctant to tolerate royal interferences; only their small size, low quality land and disunitedness keep them to become a real danger to the Priest-King.

CREDITS
Das – Moderator, curator of the whole scenario

Kal’thzar – Nubia, Ashaism, Watchur and its successor states, Tarekid Amsurate

JoesfStalinator – Arecoman Celts, Caerix and Tigranism

Insane-Panda – Tartessos

Dachs – Latins, Rome, Thuringia

Thlayli – Parthenian Republic, Greek poleis, Corcyran League

Niklas – Ur and its various empires, Agade Dag

Littleboots – Athanoi

LightFang- Sardinia

Flavius Aetius (me) – Liguria

erez87 – Caeon

FOOTNOTES

[1] Agade Dag, a monotheistic Mesopotamian religion with far-reaching influence from the Western Mediterranean to Central Asia

[2] OTL’s Po Valley.

[3] OTL’s Lausanne.

[4] A period of Ligurian history when the Kingdom isolated itself from its neighbors.

[5] OTL’s Grindelwald.

[6] OTL’s Swiss Plateau.

[7] OTL’s Lake Geneva.

[8] OTL’s hill at the center of Lausanne.

[9] The great Dominos of Tartessos that briefly restored Tartessian hegemony over western Europe before the Watchurian invasion at the end of the 5th century.

[10] OTL’s Martigny, Switzerland.

[11] A Tartessian failed invasion of Liguria in 60 BC, where the young Tartessian Dominos Gorgoris died after being trapped inside the burning ruins of Ottoduro by the Ligurians.

[12] OTL’s Mittelhorn.

[13] Anothern name for OTL’s Po Valley.

[14] The noble title shared by most powerful vassals of the Priest-King

[15] OTL’s Genoa

[16] The Latins are the inhabitants of Italia, heirs of Rome and the Etruscan, and mostly converted to the Nubian-originated religion of Ashaism; the Arganthine are the last renmant of Tartessos, now clinging in southern France and Catalonia; the Tarekids are the Berber and Ashaist inhabitants of Southern Spain; the Numidian are the Ashaist lords of North Africa.

[17] Corcyrian are Hellenic and Agade Dag-faithful inhabitants of the Korkyran League; Arabians comes from the Urrian-dominated and Agade Dag-faithful polities of Najjaria and Ghatafania in the Middle East.

[18] OTL’s Monte Beigua.

[19] OTL’s Milan.

[20] A Mycenean population, particularly fond of horses, that in the 12th Century BC departed from Beotia and eventually invaded the Po Valley.

[21] A Turkic populations that in the 4th century broke into Europe and raided as far as France and Northern Italy.

[22] OTL’s Mantua.

[23] OTL’s Lombardy.

[24] The theocratical leader of the Athanoi.

[25] The land where Rome once stood, before being conquered and destroyed by Tartessos.

[26] Another name for the Tartessians, after the capital was moved to Arganthopolis (OTL’s Barcelona).

[27] The “Lords of the Horses”, another name for the Athanoi.

[28] OTL’s Padua.

[29] OTL’s Euganean Hills.

[30] Near OTL’s Comacchio.

[31] The Etruscans.

[32] OTL’s Raetia (part of Switzerland, Germany and Austria).

[33] The phase of Ligurian history, after the end of the Tartar raids and the fall of the Arganthines, when Liguria was able to expand over the Alps and conquer the Athanoi.

[34] OTL’s Vado Ligure.

[35] OTL’s Liguria properly.

[36] OTL’s Piedmont.

[37] OTL’s Turin.

[38] OTL’s Lodi.

[39] OTL’s Asti.

[40] OTL’s Bergamo.

[41] OTL’s Bergamo Alta.

[42] A Celtic tribal league that briefly arose in the 5th century north of the Lake of Constance, eventually conquered by the Ligurians.

[43] OTL’s Verona (duh).

[44] OTL’s Oderzo.

[45] OTL’s Modena.

[46] The phase in Ligurian history, after the war between Tartessos and the Hellenic Empire in the second part of the 1st Century AD, when Liguria was able to retake Old Liguria from Tartessian hands and expand in Salluvia (OTL’s southern France up to the Rhone).

[47] OTL’s Embrun.

[48] 4km near OTL’s Lienz, Roman Aguntum.

Avatar: New Red Dawn | First Earth Civil War

Yeahhhh... I haven't posted anything since last year or so. Here have some Atlas style and an imgur link since I can't individually link every picture to this thread.

renderTimingPixel.png

Last edited:
Avatar: New Red Dawn | First Earth Civil War
I didn't get, from whose side the war description was written? It sounded like someones political propaganda giving how one-sided story goes with downplaying royalists atrocities and the unrestricted mockery of the rebels point of view. I would at first said it was product of Kuvira's regime but then at the end she was also attacked with even comparison to Ozai, although the author of this in-universe atlas did had attempts to justify some of her actions but mostly that occured during the civil war.

Zveiner and I made these maps for the Sprouting from Babel series of language maps for Atlas Altera. Each language has a corresponding OTL ISO-639 language code, which you can use to search up for further reading. The map is numbered and colour coded by the first major branch of each language family. The other maps in the series are:
  1. African Lects
  2. Crucean Lects
  3. Septentrean Lects
Atlas Altera is a syntopian fiction project that leverages the classroom cliché map to reimagine how diversity and co-existence can take shape, all the while building from real but buried geographies. To learn more about Atlas Altera, visit AtlasAltera.com. or check out Youtube.com/@AtlasAltera.

I love those Rus’ borders
Thanks!

I'm genuinely curious as to why you think a disclaimer is necessary.
We all have our own motives.

Lovely! Although Germany taking Britain's role, including Brexit? (Deaussteigen?) That seems a bit of a stretch, geographically speaking. But I suppose plausibility isn't the main point here...
well, thanks!

I have such idea, but in my version, Spain colonize Africa) Means, Africa is close to Iberia (most like Siberia to Russia), and it would be much easy to hold it, than the Americas)
IMO, Africa is much more difficult to colonize and to hold.

This is a great way to make a parallelism. Which are the equivalent of the former SSRs? These republics in Southern France and North-West Africa? Is there an Ukraine that will be invaded? What's the status of Sardinia and Corsica?
I don't really like blind parallelism, so many UCA's fragments are on their own. I also deliberately chose the date 2008 to avoid modern politics, if you know what I mean.

Spain and Russia were switched with Hispania having a Western variant of Tsarist Autocracy descended from Visigoths. Any Iberian equivalents of Kievan Rus' and Novgorod Republic?
Perhaps there were such equivalents during Iberian feudal fragmentation, but I didn’t think about it much.

Yes, Norway loses a bit of land. It is accotable here, I suppose. Though I do fear Finland not being under Sweden means Novgorod might not have Nordic vibe or shared identity, even if they did control Denmark for a bit. Ahh well. You see Novgorod leaning towards being culturally or linguistically Slavic, Finnic, Scandinavian, Baltic, or something all to its own? Though I suppose they have all Finns everywhere period anyways. What is the chunk of blue on the stamp between Iceland and Ireland? Ijeland?
Novgorod is solidly Slavic here.
The blue spot to the right of Iceland is Labrador.

I didn't get, from whose side the war description was written? It sounded like someones political propaganda giving how one-sided story goes with downplaying royalists atrocities and the unrestricted mockery of the rebels point of view. I would at first said it was product of Kuvira's regime but then at the end she was also attacked with even comparison to Ozai, although the author of this in-universe atlas did had attempts to justify some of her actions but mostly that occured during the civil war.

Yes, you are right. Because it is just a pro-Kuvira propaganda.

QueenslandMap.png

Credit goes to Kitfisto1997 for one of his scenarios from 12 Queenslands.

Around 1480, Javanese and Makassar sailors discovered the Australian continent and began to sail across the coast, trading with the Aboriginal communities. Eventually, other groups in the Indonesian Archipelago and Southeast Asia would travel to Australia, hoping to establish lucrative trade deals with the Aboriginals. Eventually, ports were established across the coastlines (mostly in the north) in hopes of taking advantage of the trade boom. In the 1510s, several Malaysians from the former Malacca Sultanate began to establish settlements and ports across OTL Queensland. By 1537, these Malaysian port cities, as well as a couple of other Indonesian (mostly Javanese or Makkassar) cities would form the Sultanate of Jaabir, based on the largest city on the Northeast coastline. Jaabir would soon expand into the Aboriginal territory out west, forcing many of them to flee inland or convert to Islam and adopt Malaysian culture. By 1737, Jaabir is a fairly powerful trade empire in Australia and often competed with other Southeast Asian states that had also established colonies on Australian shorelines. Jaabir has also made contact with various Europeans, mainly the Portuguese and Dutch, and often trade with them.

A Liberia wank map from DiceQuail. Reddit of course.

CDN media

Lore from the author:
The Black Star Rises – All Hail Great Liberia

June 6th, 1938, Theodore G. Bilbo’s Great Liberia Plan is approved by a slim majority following an appeal to congress by Marcus Garvey and the Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League. However, this bill came with some stipulation as Roosevelt would never allow for forced deportations of American citizens. He would instead grant African Americans reparations checks in exchange for migrating to Liberia. Multiple American Cruise Liners would be commandeered for this purpose. There, African-Americans could build a life for themselves free from racism and oppression. While many African-Americans were opposed to this, many thousands accepted their ticket to build a new life. Liberian President Edwin Barclay, albeit warry of this influx of settlers granted them Liberian citizenship and housed them in exchange for economic investments from the United States.

Following the onset of the World War II, membership among fascist groups such as the Black Legion, Ku Klux Klan and Silver Shirts soared. Violence against African Americans was at an all time high, leading to thousands of African Americans fleeing to Liberia. Many in turn joined Garvey’s African Brigade, a paramilitary defense force. This concerned President Barclay, who ordered Roosevelt stop sending African Americans or it would cut the United States off from their rubber supplies. With the Dutch East Indies under Japanese control, Liberia was an essential source of rubber leading Roosevelt to send funds and supplies to support Garvey’s African Brigade. The Brigade overthrew Barclay, and established Garvey as President of Liberia. Garvey, finally in a position of power, established himself as an autocratic ruler of the newly dubbed Democratic Republic of Liberia. Garvey would supply rubber and minerals to the Americans in exchange for funds and “labor”. A new flag would be crafted by combining the old Liberian flag and Garvey’s Pan-African Flag.

More ambitious and determined than his predecessors, Garvey fully committed to the “civilization” and “democratization” of the Native Africans, referred to as Bushmen. Native African languages and religions were banned from schools in exchange for English and Aethiopian Christianity (a newly created sect of Black Christianity). Tribal elders would be arrested and imprisoned to prevent the spread of culture. When Garvey died from a stroke in the early 1950’s, his right-hand man, Elijah Robert Poole, was elected the new President of Liberia. President Poole began a program of state sponsored mass conversion of the Muslim Minority of Liberia to Aethiopian Christianity. This in turn leads to many Muslim Liberians (who lived mainly in the inland region) fleeing into French Guinea.

An Islamic Revolution would take place in the newly independent Guinea-Conakry which was renamed to the Islamic Emirate of Fouta Djallon. The Emir Ahmed Sékou Touré declared a Jihad against the Democratic Republic of Liberia, claiming it was a Western puppet. Despite Fouta Djallon having a population almost double the size of Liberia’s, the Liberian Defense Force was able to push back the Fouta Djallon forces and occupy the mineral rich region of Nzérékoré. The Liberian government agreed to annex this region much to the protest of the USSR.

The First Ŋaa-ɓo (Kpelle for “Waking Up”) takes place in the late 60’s as a mass revolt against the Americo-Liberians takes place by the Kpelle and Kru peoples. These revolts would last for almost 5 years as rebels would take the forest and mountains, using the native environment to their advantage. The Ŋaa-ɓo come to an end with a Peace Treaty and the establishment of independent Kpelle and Kru Tribal Reservations in the interior of the country. This is criticized by numerous governments for supposed war crimes against the indigenous peoples.

The Soviets support a Communist Revolution in the Ivory Coast leading to a seven year long civil war during the 1970’s where the Liberians would attempt to invade through the South but suffered great casualties in the unfamiliar terrain. The so-called Ivory War became known as Liberia’s Vietnam and following years of stagnation, Liberia begrudgingly withdrew its troops and the People’s Republic of the Ivory Coast (known as “Akuraa Kwasafoman Asombɛn-Mpoana” in Akan) was established. This in turn lead to a highly militarized and guarded border between Liberia and the PRIC.

Sierra Leone would collapse into a military dictatorship in the 1980’s leading to the occupation of the so-called Moa Strip by Liberian troops between the original Liberia-Sierra Leone Border and the Moa River. The Liberian control of the strip grants access to offshore oil and valuable diamond minds and minerals, however Liberia claims to only occupy this strip as a buffer against Sierra Leone.

The Second Ŋaa-ɓo would take place in the 1990’s following the collapse of the Soviet Union, following an attempted assassination of the Liberian President, Liberia would receive arms from the United States, Israel and South Africa. Kru forces poured in from the South while Kpelle and Mende forces marched down from the North. The rebel forces demanded the creation of bi-ethnic state of Krumende (the two main native ethnic groups) and the destruction of the colonial Liberian state. Like the prior revolt, this revolt failed however the United Nations issued a condemnation of the Liberian state’s treatment of its Native Population.

In the 21st Century, the Democratic Republic of Liberia is a democratic, economic, and industrial giant of Africa. Its main industries are mining, rubber, palm oil, diamonds, and oil extraction. The majority of the country is Aethiopian Christian with a tiny Muslim Minority. Its closest allies are the United States, Israel and Germany, though it has been slowly growing closer with Nigeria and Ghana as Anglophone nations of West Africa.