Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks really neat! It's worth noting that the true size of countries like Canada is often distorted by map projections, so if it was placed closer to the equator it would be shown more like this:
2021-11-16 16_25_47-Microsoft Edge.png
Meanwhile, the newly arctic regions of Brazil, Colombia, etc would look more like this:
So when we get a total flip...
(from thetruesize.com)

Last edited:
I've been a fan of the Fallout series since Fallout 3 came out, or rather, since I saw the trailer for that game... It's one of my favourite fictional universes still. Long time ago and even to today I wanted to make my own version of things. The idea came to me like a decade ago, Fallout: New York. However, I never felt, and I still don't feel, like I could do the idea justice even though the fanfiction is planned from beginning to end. So, I took on a smaller project some time ago and continued iterating from time to time, seeing if there would be a time when I had a combination of time and will that was favourable enough to finish it. That came now.

Apologies if I have posted this map before, it's quite old actually so I don't really recall. Here's one of the first iterations of the concept; unfinished, but serving as a base for the next big project I have. This will be my version of Fallout: Western Europe.

I say my version because it's how I want it to be, including contradicting some of the source material and expanding upon some of it, with a healthy dose of wacky stuff that many could dislike. Well, it's my version and so you are warned. While Fallout: New York was planned as (really long) book, Fallout: Western Europe is planned more as a personal worldbuilding thing.

Just as a tease: do you remember the size of the common maps here in AH.com? Well, Jersey and Guernsey are each larger than the island of Great Britain in worlda format in the map that I am now making. Discarding the distortion of the projection, I safely say that, comparing the size of a single pixel to the width of the ports of Antwerp and Rotterdam, a single pixel is around 500 metres in size.

If everything continues going alright, the map should be finished come March, I guess.

With all that said, I cannot leave without any kind of progress, so here's one of the first iterations of the map of Fallout: Western Europe.

View attachment 695733

Ooo I love this.

You have any write ups for what everything is?

This looks really neat! It's worth noting that the true size of countries like Canada is often distorted by map projections, so if it was placed closer to the equator it would be shown more like this:

Meanwhile, the newly arctic regions of Brazil, Colombia, etc would look more like this:

So when we get a total flip...

(from thetruesizeof.com)
I don't know that that's the case—the original map doesn't look like a Mercator to me. Not 100% on what it actually is, though.

But it probably wasn't reprojected, you're right.

I've been a fan of the Fallout series since Fallout 3 came out, or rather, since I saw the trailer for that game... It's one of my favourite fictional universes still. Long time ago and even to today I wanted to make my own version of things. The idea came to me like a decade ago, Fallout: New York. However, I never felt, and I still don't feel, like I could do the idea justice even though the fanfiction is planned from beginning to end. So, I took on a smaller project some time ago and continued iterating from time to time, seeing if there would be a time when I had a combination of time and will that was favourable enough to finish it. That came now.

Apologies if I have posted this map before, it's quite old actually so I don't really recall. Here's one of the first iterations of the concept; unfinished, but serving as a base for the next big project I have. This will be my version of Fallout: Western Europe.

I say my version because it's how I want it to be, including contradicting some of the source material and expanding upon some of it, with a healthy dose of wacky stuff that many could dislike. Well, it's my version and so you are warned. While Fallout: New York was planned as (really long) book, Fallout: Western Europe is planned more as a personal worldbuilding thing.

Just as a tease: do you remember the size of the common maps here in AH.com? Well, Jersey and Guernsey are each larger than the island of Great Britain in worlda format in the map that I am now making. Discarding the distortion of the projection, I safely say that, comparing the size of a single pixel to the width of the ports of Antwerp and Rotterdam, a single pixel is around 500 metres in size.

If everything continues going alright, the map should be finished come March, I guess.

With all that said, I cannot leave without any kind of progress, so here's one of the first iterations of the map of Fallout: Western Europe.

View attachment 695733
I have an idea : the French nuclear carrier becoming a sort of floating island, the Charles de Ghoul :p

And now 1980. Opinions on plausibility and future?
koirqwyj64081.png
Highly implausible. The damn thing should have exploded already. The Nazi war machine was built to run on plunder and had zero stops to keep itself from burning out. They were murderers interested in roleplaying a sick fantasy over functional statecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.