Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally made this for AlternateHistoryHub's Alt. Countries 5 Contest, which at this point i'm pretty sure he has forgotten now lmao.

I'm also planning to turn this into a full-on Alternate History of the Pre-Colonial Era, starting from the year 900 AD to the 18th Century. Any thoughts?

(sorry if the english feels awkward I suck at writing)
derkd48-42139cf6-c646-4795-9a16-703fec6434cd.png

I'm also planning to turn this into a full-on Alternate History of the Pre-Colonial Era, starting from the year 900 AD to the 18th Century. Any thoughts?

Fascinating scenario, and I would enjoy seeing more.

I see that even by the 1700s a lot of the area (possibly even the majority of the total square mileage) is still tribal territory. What's the relationship of the Lakanate with these peoples?

How does the Lakanate deal with the Spanish when they show up? As a much more unified state than what they encountered OTL, the Spanish would find conquest difficult, given the bad logistics and the lack of a germ warfare advantage, but as a "pagan" and prosperous state there will certainly be interest and efforts to spread Christianity. I imagine the Portuguese would also take an interest, as might the Dutch, if they aren't somehow butterflied as an important colonial power.

5bis41Q.jpg

The Mariner's Valley is the longest-inhabited and most densely-populated region of Mars. Before the Earth Origin theory gained favor among modern historians, it was thought to be the cradle of humanity. Its steep cliffs retain a thick, oxygen-rich atmosphere in the rich valleys below, while shielding them from the brutal dust storms which once constrained the inhabitants of Xanthe and Araby to cling to life in craters and caves.

While the continual growth of cyanobacteric algae in the northern ocean has gradually thickened the atmosphere and made life feasible at higher and higher altitudes, the Valley remained the economic center of the northwestern Martian world up through the 11th century. This made control of the Straits of Capri - the sole conventional entrance to the Valley - the most valuable geopolitical prize on the planet.

In the late 7th century, the Province of Xanthe had led the western coalition to a smashing victory on the fields of Osuga against the County of Fadoua, ending its Governor's attempt to unify the province of South Margaritifer and seize control of the Straits. Xanthe's continued aggressive expansion in the decades which followed, both into the crater confederations of West Xanthe and the coastal lands along the Straits raised fear across Western Mars that it, too, would make a play to become a regional hegemon.

The peripheral powers which formed the Copratian League to oppose Xanthe's ambitions - the canyon confederation of Ius and the newly-unified and rapidy-growing Province of Kasei - faced a critical geographic problem. Separated from each other by Xanthe, they faced the fear that a Xanthean fleet which could cut communication through Da Vinci Bay could strike a critical blow to one of the allies before the other even learned that a war had begun.

A solution came from an unlikely source - the then-desolate county of Echus, which had recently turned to Kasei for protection against the steppe hetmans which plagued its river settlements. Towns in its southern periphery had contact and limited trade with the hermit kingdom of Hebes, from which it was separated by 12 kilometers of the highland 'Death Zone' - lands so high that the air was too thin for life to survive permanently. Specially-acclimated people who were reared at extreme heights could climb up the Echus cliffs and survive the passage to the other side. Hebes folk legends claimed ancient heroes had once done the same across the 70 kilometer gap between southern Hebes and the Marinerian county of Ophir.

This hope, thin as it was, was enough for Kasei to try. Countless bold and hardy highlanders perished in subsequent attempts to recreate legend - but eventually, it was done, with the help of sealed goatskins full of low-altitude air and the discovery of a midway chasm deep enough to allow rest. Using similar methods, adventurers were later able to find a second, shorter route through the county of Nia via the uninhabited Hydrae Chasm to the source of the Maja river in the isolated county of Juventae. The now-famous Hebesian and Hydrean Runs were open.

For the first generation of the 8th century, mail runners regularly carried secret dispatches across both routes, keeping the allies connected during several brutal wars with the Xanthean Caprisian League. After the 724 defeat of the Copratian fleet at Batoka Bay, these paths became the only form of communication between the Valley and the outside world.

Ultimately, they were not enough. Caprisian forces finally subdued Ius in the bloody battle of Calyport, while Kasei was first forced to cede the rich craterlands which had once been its heartland, then collapsed under invasion from the province of Tempe and the resurgent plains hetmanates. For its part, Xanthe was able to enjoy the fruits of victory for only thirty-odd years before a disputed gubernatorial succession led to civil war and conflict with the new leading Marinerian power of Melas.

Knowledge of the Highland Runs was lost for generations until evidence was rediscovered by archivists in the mid-12th century. Today, with a much thicker atmosphere than existed in the 7th century, the two Runs are popular among hikers and marathoners who see them as an opportunity to relive history - providing a much-needed boon to the struggling economies of Hebes and the north Marinerian states.

The rivers on this map are the 'true' hydrologically correct placement of major rivers on a Mars with this sea level, calculated with GRASSGIS' r.watershed. If anyone is interested in doing something similar, here is the tutorial I used.

Fascinating scenario, and I would enjoy seeing more.

I see that even by the 1700s a lot of the area (possibly even the majority of the total square mileage) is still tribal territory. What's the relationship of the Lakanate with these peoples?

How does the Lakanate deal with the Spanish when they show up? As a much more unified state than what they encountered OTL, the Spanish would find conquest difficult, given the bad logistics and the lack of a germ warfare advantage, but as a "pagan" and prosperous state there will certainly be interest and efforts to spread Christianity. I imagine the Portuguese would also take an interest, as might the Dutch, if they aren't somehow butterflied as an important colonial power.
In the original lore that I wrote, It was the Portugese that started trading first with the Tagalogs in 1568. It was because of this that the Lakanate gained the necessary technological and tactical advantage against the Bikolanos. At the same time, Batang Dula allowed Portugese Missionaries to establish a church in Tundun and spread the faith. Unfortunately, this caused tension between the pre-established Anito and Islamic Institutions in Lusong, and several Babaylans warned Dula that the Portugese are using Christianity to weaken his rule. Tensions finally broke in the 1620s when Lakan Salonga ordered the Portugese to be expelled and Christianity to be banned. He also ordered a general persecution of Native Christians, forcing them back to the anito cults or executing large groups of them.

A little project I've been working on. I hope to make this the first installment in a series covering this world's history.

This is the world of "Majorian Matters", where Emperor Majorian, considered by some Historians to be the last capable Western Roman Emperor, gets a little bit longer in the spotlight and shines a little bit brighter in Rome's darkest hour, even if he ultimately still gets the Aurelian treatment.

View attachment 693499

This phase of the Romans and Majorian is something I'm not well-verse in, but I really enjoy this comeback by the Empire allowing an reunified Roman Empire. (Well, not all of it, of course, but...)

If you do more, I love to see.

The rivers on this map are the 'true' hydrologically correct placement of major rivers on a Mars with this sea level, calculated with GRASSGIS' r.watershed. If anyone is interested in doing something similar, here is the tutorial I used.
What a lovely concept - there must have been an apocalyptic event for Mars to not just regress technologically, but lose all pre-Martian historical knowledge as well.
  • I assume that the epoch year ("1 AD" equivalent) of this calendar would have been either the first Martian landing, the founding of the first Martian city, the independence day of the first Martian state, or the apocalyptic Fall?
  • The Martian atmosphere continuing to thicken implies that the terraforming process is, to some degree, self-sustaining; how was this achieved, despite the technological backsliding? How did their Earth precursors solve the radiation problem - an artificial magnetic field?
  • What was the rough technological level during the 8th and 12th centuries, as well as whatever century the "modern day" of the setting is set in? Is there some degree of "schizo-tech", with discoveries of lost knowledge leading to seemingly anachronistic technologies existing within the same time period?
  • How many millennia have passed before Martian science advanced enough to rediscover their true origin, and how much do they know of Earth in the "modern" era?
  • For Martian terraforming to be attempted at all, much less having partially succeeded as the scenario suggests, there must have been a substantial interplanetary civilisation before the Fall. Has the rest of the Solar System been wiped clean of human life, or are there still extant societies on Earth and elsewhere? I assume that even if there are, they would not be much more advanced than Martian civilisation; otherwise, Mars would have surely be contacted.

Last edited:
I know this has been done to death.
But here's my own personal Kaiserreich in the year 2021.
I'm happy that this isn't just another Kaiserwank, even if there are still typical ALT history things like the Imperial Federation or united India.
If you have questions, just ask.
1636318448157.png

PS:
Oh I forgot!
This is how the map would look like with the dominions on the map.
1636322529117.png

Last edited:
What a lovely concept - there must have been an apocalyptic event for Mars to not just regress technologically, but lose all pre-Martian historical knowledge as well.
  • I assume that the epoch year ("1 AD" equivalent) of this calendar would have been either the first Martian landing, the founding of the first Martian city, the independence day of the first Martian state, or the apocalyptic Fall?
  • The Martian atmosphere continuing to thicken implies that the terraforming process is, to some degree, self-sustaining; how was this achieved, despite the technological backsliding? How did their Earth precursors solve the radiation problem - an artificial magnetic field?
  • What was the rough technological level during the 8th and 12th centuries, as well as whatever century the "modern day" of the setting is set in? Is there some degree of "schizo-tech", with discoveries of lost knowledge leading to seemingly anachronistic technologies existing within the same time period?
  • How many millennia have passed before Martian science advanced enough to rediscover their true origin, and how much do they know of Earth in the "modern" era?
  • For Martian terraforming to be attempted at all, much less having partially succeeded as the scenario suggests, there must have been a substantial interplanetary civilisation before the Fall. Has the rest of the Solar System been wiped clean of human life, or are there still extant societies on Earth and elsewhere? I assume that even if there are, they would not be much more advanced than Martian civilisation; otherwise, Mars would have surely be contacted.
I'm glad you liked it! You are right - the premise is Mars losing contact with Earth very shortly after the first colonies were just starting to be self-sufficient.
  • Correct - I thought of it as first settlement of the Martian colony. As I understand it, Mars would need an entirely different calendar than Earth, but the years are roughly the same - call it ~343 days to make it half of a true Martian year but still be more or less in line with Earth's.
  • I'm not a hard science person, so I'm not sure this is actually plausible and I'd be interested to hear your ideas, but the idea was that oxygen-producing cyanobacteria was seeded in water melted from ice caps and brought in by impacting comets, which continued to grow much better than expected even after human intervention stopped. Re: radiation, very high levels of cancer and short lifespans are just considered normal in this society, though cave living is still very common and there has been some limited evolutionary change to make Martians more resistant to radiation than 'real' humans.
  • To be honest, you've thought it through a little more than I did - I just was looking for an excuse for 'medieval Mars'! The political concept of course is based off the Peloponnesian War, but with the way I imagined it I'd say the 7th century =~1200s (with Marineris =~ Italy, Xanthe =~ France, and Kasei =~Hungary), the 12th century being a Martian renaissance with ~1500s-1700s tech and political ideas, and the 'modern day' being the ~15th or so century =~late 1800s early 1900s. This map style is actually based off a very cool 19th century textbook I recently inherited from a family member (The New Eclectic History of the United States - you can read it in full on Google Books). I'm not yet sure about anachronistic technology - I'd love to hear if you have suggestions - but the main difference I would imagine would be much larger ships and easier overland transport because of lower gravity.
  • Nothing is known except that Earth also has life (from telescopes). I meant to imply by the 'Earth Origin Theory' thing that some respectable historians and scientists still believe humans originated on Mars in the ~present. I imagine it will be very soon, though, because if my understanding is right, basic radio technology would be enough to start reestablishing contact between the two planets.
  • Yes - I had imagined that there was a large chain of settlements going out to the Asteroid Belt and beyond to make this possible, but they all would have failed when contact with Earth was lost. I don't have a concrete idea of what the 'event' was - maybe a solar flare leading to social collapse or generic nuclear war - but definitely nowhere near capable of interplanetary space travel for centuries and centuries afterwards.
It seems that you have thought a lot about the Mars terraforming concept and know a lot more than me! I'd love to hear any more advice you have - I really like this setting and was thinking about fleshing it out more later, since I've already put a lot of effort into generating the heightmaps and hydrology files. DM me if you are interested.

I'm glad you liked it! You are right - the premise is Mars losing contact with Earth very shortly after the first colonies were just starting to be self-sufficient.
  • Correct - I thought of it as first settlement of the Martian colony. As I understand it, Mars would need an entirely different calendar than Earth, but the years are roughly the same - call it ~343 days to make it half of a true Martian year but still be more or less in line with Earth's.
  • I'm not a hard science person, so I'm not sure this is actually plausible and I'd be interested to hear your ideas, but the idea was that oxygen-producing cyanobacteria was seeded in water melted from ice caps and brought in by impacting comets, which continued to grow much better than expected even after human intervention stopped. Re: radiation, very high levels of cancer and short lifespans are just considered normal in this society, though cave living is still very common and there has been some limited evolutionary change to make Martians more resistant to radiation than 'real' humans.
  • To be honest, you've thought it through a little more than I did - I just was looking for an excuse for 'medieval Mars'! The political concept of course is based off the Peloponnesian War, but with the way I imagined it I'd say the 7th century =~1200s (with Marineris =~ Italy, Xanthe =~ France, and Kasei =~Hungary), the 12th century being a Martian renaissance with ~1500s-1700s tech and political ideas, and the 'modern day' being the ~15th or so century =~late 1800s early 1900s. This map style is actually based off a very cool 19th century textbook I recently inherited from a family member (The New Eclectic History of the United States - you can read it in full on Google Books). I'm not yet sure about anachronistic technology - I'd love to hear if you have suggestions - but the main difference I would imagine would be much larger ships and easier overland transport because of lower gravity.
  • Nothing is known except that Earth also has life (from telescopes). I meant to imply by the 'Earth Origin Theory' thing that some respectable historians and scientists still believe humans originated on Mars in the ~present. I imagine it will be very soon, though, because if my understanding is right, basic radio technology would be enough to start reestablishing contact between the two planets.
  • Yes - I had imagined that there was a large chain of settlements going out to the Asteroid Belt and beyond to make this possible, but they all would have failed when contact with Earth was lost. I don't have a concrete idea of what the 'event' was - maybe a solar flare leading to social collapse or generic nuclear war - but definitely nowhere near capable of interplanetary space travel for centuries and centuries afterwards.
It seems that you have thought a lot about the Mars terraforming concept and know a lot more than me! I'd love to hear any more advice you have - I really like this setting and was thinking about fleshing it out more later, since I've already put a lot of effort into generating the heightmaps and hydrology files. DM me if you are interested.
What the rest of mars is like?

I can see the other planets and satellites being colonized as well like the earth-moon and venus as well.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
I really, REALLY like a lot of maps here, so I decided to learn how to use paint.net and see how it goes. The biggest benefit, though there are many, that I see over regular paint is LAYERS. Holy FUCK are they useful. Combine them with transparency and text rotation (two other new tools) and BAM, something in thirty minutes you couldn't make without literally a thousand hours in paint. It is a bit sloppy. Obviously I have far to go to even touch the toes of some of you, but I'm proud of it.

I'm bummed that I made a mistake, but I didn't save the map as a .pdn file. I just let fly and flattened it to .png :( So excuse the name on Egypt and Syria. Using ancient Greek numerals and names of course!

APOLLONIDES

In the thirty-second year from his birth, the divine Megas Alexandros, son of Zeus, was assassinated by some of his generals and officers. Men who, being men, were low, cunning, and deceitful. Unable with their shortsighted mortal eyes to see Alexandros's grand vision of a united kosmos, they killed him and fought and slaughtered each other over the corpse of his empire.

There was one certainly not party to the plot. Another golden haired demigod, and son of Apollo, the victorious Seleukos Nikator. As he lay dying, Alexandros transferred his unconquerable will to Seleukos and bade him guard his empire. Seleukos had no delusions. He had armies of men against him. He was not gifted with superhuman strength nor skill in battle such as the ancient Myrmidon Akhilleus. He had only the favor of his father Apollo, god of knowledge and oracles, the Pythian soothsayer-god and averter of evil. And that would have to do.

It took Seleukos more than fifty years of his life to make his divine cousin proud. In the process he had cut a swathe through many enemies, and destroyed those pretend friends of his cousin's who hadn't already been destroyed by each other. The last was crafty Lysimakhos, Basileus of Thraki and Asia. However his most interesting relationship was with the diadokhos Ptolemaios Soter. Often a friend but sometimes a foe, particularly over the province of Syroi, Ptolemaios was the only diadokhos with whom Seleukos did not make war. Some say that it was Ptolemaios's spirit that protected Seleukos, when Ptolemaios's own son Ptolemaios Keraunos attempted to assassinate Seleukos and seize the throne of Makedon. Seleukos and his bodyguards interrupted and dealt with Keraunos, and Seleukos moved on to Pella, the ancient seat of the Makedonian kings. There he was acclaimed Seleukos Nikator, the victorious, finally bringing much needed peace to the homeland.

Seeing his home after fifty-two years abroad, venerable Seleukos wept. He knew his decision had been right, to hand the governance of his empire to his son Antiokhos in Seleukeia. Seleukos retired to govern his home of Makedon.

With a stable empire, eventually Antiokhos gazed to the final target of any descendant of Alexandros's: Aigyptos. Claiming that Ptolemaios B, younger son of Ptolemaios Soter, had sent his wicked brother Ptolemaios Keraunos to Seleukos with the express mission of assassinating him, Antiokhos took Aigyptos to war. It was a long and difficult fight over Syroi, and Antiokhos might not have prevailed without war elephants from India. It took three years of fighting to wear Aigyptos down, to get Ptolemaios B and his family to flee to distant Syrakousai.

Antiokhos invited his father to the city of Alexandreia on the Nile, THE Alexandreia, to look upon the crystalline tomb of his divine cousin and wonder at the opulence. Seleukos came and wondered and when he left, embraced his son forcefully. They both knew it was to be their final meeting. Shortly after returning home Seleukos died peacefully on a stream fishing trip while resting against a large stone. He was the last known person to die who had personally known divine Alexandros, forty-eight years after his death, at the age of eighty-three.

Now it came to Antiokhos to rule the empire, but not alone. By 48 MA (Meta Alexandros) his son Seleukos was a valiant young man and ready to prove himself worthy of his name. When the contentious Hellenes inevitably rebelled it was young Seleukos who led the Makedonian phalanges against them. Raised with a more eastern mindset than his father or grandfather, Seleukos determined to put an end to the bothersome Hellene rebellions which had plagued Makedonia since the days of Megas Alexandros's mortal father Philippos B. Seleukos's forces brutally sacked every town which did not immediately submit to him, with his own wholehearted encouragement. He was not sadistic and did not go out of his way to see others in pain. Simply he was callous in the extreme, and thought nothing of having children killed or even tortured to terrify his enemies. So long as it had a purpose, Seleukos would do it. His final great action of the war was to destroy the city of Athenai for always being foremost to rebels. The stones of its acropolis were levered apart and carted to the sea, then taken by ship to the middle of the Aegean, there sacrificed to Poseidon and cast into the depths.

After the reduction of Athenai there was no resistance to Seleukos. The Basileus of Epeiros, Megas Alexandros's cousin Pyrrhos, voluntarily submitted to Seleukos. He became a subject king, with some obligations to but also much support from Antiokhos's great empire. By this time there was the question of what to call the realm. Makedonia did not fit any more, as the Apollonides ruled over hundreds of nations of people. Some suggested Kosmos, as an extension of the Babylonian title King of the Universe which was used by Seleukos and Antiokhos, but the rulers settled on Oikoumene. Originally meaning "the inhabited world", as the limits of what was possible expanded with each stride of Megas Alexandros's armies, the word had morphed to mean "known world" or "our dominion" or "our civilization". Thus Antiokhos and his son Seleukos B were kings of the Oikoumene.

Antiokhos, enjoying the climate and greatness of Alexandreia, remained in the city, administering the great empire. By this time his second son, Antiokhos, had come of age and was eager to prove himself his brother's equal. Antiokhos the younger undertook campaigns in Kous and Arabia to eradicate piracy which had been mercilessly plaguing the Red Sea trade since the days of Megas Alexandros. The intelligent young man created a network of mutual client tribes and kingdoms along the coasts to protect Oikoumene trade. They also served as waypoints for Makedonian navies and Hellenic traders, and allowed them to more easily sail around Arabia. Instead of marching across Syroi, Mesopotamia, Persis or Media, and all the way on to the east, troops could sail in effectively half the time.

Antiokhos took advantage of this, sailing with his troops around Arabia and conquering the spice- and perfume-rich lands of eastern Arabia. He moved on to Seleukeia in Mesopotamia and there found a letter left by his father, anointing him Antiokhos B. The Oikoumene now had three kings, and all competent men. The presence of Antiokhos B so close by disturbed the eastern satraps who had grown used to relative independence. Also too the young man's western upbringing, too willing to openly seek the counsel of his companions as Megas Alexandros had, was disturbing to the satraps. The Persian satrap of Media, Atropates, was first to revolt. He was soon followed by most of the other upper satrapies. Seleukos B raced to his brother's aid and spent years pacifying the vast, wealthy, open eastern parts of their realm.

Weary of the east, Antiokhos bade his brother farewell and returned to the west. And just in time, for their father was ailing despite the clean warm air of Alexandreia. Antiokhos Soter had been forty-nine years old when his own father died. He was now sixty-six and had been in a retiring mood for decades, leaving the campaigning to his sons, and truly wishing he could leave the governance to them as well. He now did so, resigning the kingship and exhorting Antiokhos B to support and care for his brother. He had no need to worry on that account for the brothers had become fast friends in the east. He passed away in 69 MA.

Antiokhos B began a family of his own and took as his capital Antiokheia in Syroi, a glorious and new city established by his grandfather Seleukos in honor of his mortal father, Antiokhos's namesake. There he administered the empire and its many problems, and organized the taxes to support the Oikoumene's great armies. He oversaw the great expansion of army and navy that took place in preparation for the realm's greatest triumph to date: the conquest of India. For years it had rankled with Seleukos B that his grandfather had been forced to abandon India by the Mauryan emperor so many years ago. He was determined to take it back, and save the Makedonians and Hellenes who might still be living there, and to reestablish the cities on the Indus and in Gedrosia that Megas Alexandros established.

Sailing forth from Seleukeia in 72 MA after years of preparation, Seleukos was a man in his prime. He took the decaying Mauryan empire, riven by court factions and rival claimants to the throne, by storm. The disciplined and professional Makedonian phalanges, composed mainly by Persians and Medes, easily cut through the hastily raised Indian levies. The westernmost Mauryan claimants begged for peace, and Seleukos mercifully gave it. The Indus River belonged to the Oikoumene once again. For his victory in India Seleukos was acclaimed as another son of Apollo, and so took the name Huios Theou. Responding to a call for help from the satrap of Baktria, Seleukos turned north then and marched his armies through the mountains of the Hindu Kush to war against the riders and raiders of the dry steppes. There he left his son Seleukos, called Lampros, the radiant, for his personality and hair, a young man confident that he could subdue such enemies when he and his father had just conquered India.

In that time, in the west, Antiokhos responded with force when supply lines to his brother in the east were threatened. The kings of Pontos and Armenia, and the tribes of Albania, had opportunistically raided the richly laden wagons meant for Makedonian armies. With quick decision he invaded and installed compliant kings, in a more complex version of his decades-ago organization of the Red Sea coast. He left his son Alexandros to do the same for the rest of the Pontos Aixenos coast when he received a call for help from the elderly king Pyrrhos of Epeiros claiming Hellenes were being oppressed in Italia and Sikelia. Sailing beyond the western edges of the Oikoumene, he found the Hellenic cities of Italia under danger from both Rome and Carthage. For some time he had trouble with the style of warfare native to Italia, until his troops adopted that style from Samnite allies in exchange for protection against the voracious Romans. For this aid Antiokhos granted the Samnites independence and friendship in perpetuity from Makedonian or Hellenic interference. Turning then south, Oikoumene navies destroyed the fleets of Carthage, and Sikelia was quickly brought under control along with the coast of western Libye. This served to protect the heavily Hellenized Kurenaike. The power of the tyrant of Syrakousai was reduced, so freedom was restored to the cities of the island.

In Syrakousai Antiokhos also found a wealthy family whose men mostly bore the name Ptolemaios. From Antiokheia he had heard of them, the descendants of Ptolemaios B who had been driven from his throne by Antiokhos Soter. Antiokhos was a gentle man, more perceptive by far than his callous brother. However in this case he had to harden his heart. His family had ruled the world for almost fifty years. He could not allow his conscience to ruin that. For the great of all men, he told himself, he had the family put to death due to the threat they posed.

In that time his son had followed his instructions to the letter, bringing the entire Pontos Aixenos coast, especially its rich grain-growing northern land, into the Oikoumene. For this his son was called Alexandros Eupeithes, Alexandros the dutiful. He called his son back to Antiokheia, and there both received a summons from Seleukos in Seleukeia. In that city, the capital of the world, eighty-one years after the death of diving Megas Alexandros, a great Alexandros was anointed once more--for Alexandros Eupeithes became a king--and the kings discussed what the future would hold. At the end of a long week, the state of the Oikoumene for the foreseeable future was known:

SELEUCIDS.png

As I said, I fucked up the name in my head and put Antiokhos Soter over Egypt and Syria instead of Antiokhos B :( Oh well, it's just a low effort map for now.

Last edited:
What the rest of mars is like?

I can see the other planets and satellites being colonized as well like the earth-moon and venus as well.
So, inspiration for this was drawn heavily from the excellent ModifiedMars and WorldDreamBank's Mars, which are made by people with much better understanding of the science behind it than I do and which have a lot of similarities to each other. My hydrological settings are in between the two, but a little closer to the latter - Elysium is an island continent with the sea level elevation I used for this. In all three settings, there are going to be three main 'islands' of highly-habitable areas - Marinieris/Xanthe/Margaritifer, as shown in my map, the Hellas basin in the south, and the wide strip from Syrtis across Elysium to Amazonia. This last one is by far the largest and is definitely going to be the center of Martian civilization in the long run. In fact, my original idea before I had thought the concept out fully was for the 'highland runs' to connect the Hellas Basin with the Isidis Bay across the Tyrhennian Plateau.

Last edited:
So, something I've been preparing for my timeline. Basically, Britain is more eager to intervene in the Taiping rebellion because it happens at the same time as a later-ocurring Opium War, and that means that China ends up falling flat on its face. Kinda like how this one looks!

XLk7evh.png

So, something I've been preparing for my timeline. Basically, Britain is more eager to intervene in the Taiping rebellion because it happens at the same time as a later-ocurring Opium War, and that means that China ends up falling flat on its face. Kinda like how this one looks!

XLk7evh.png
But... The Taiping Rebellion was simultaneous withe second Opium War

But... The Taiping Rebellion was simultaneous withe second Opium War

Yeah, but by the second Opium War Britain has clear goals and objectives in China. The first one was more happenstance and relations between China and the West weren't as clearly entrenched (not saying they were entrenched in 1856 either, but more so than in 1841). This and a different approach by Taiping rebels towards their perception outside of China means that Britain is more willing to provide support to the Taipings

XLk7evh.png
Taipings are british vassals/allies here or...?
Cheng kingdom is probably close to french, I suppose?
British-COLOMBIAN protectorate?
And why there is one prussia- and one germany-held city? Different German unification, with Prussia out or typo?

Taipings are british vassals/allies here or...?

Yup! Taiping is essentially a British protectorate, although, of course, not officially. This comes from the fact that Hong Rengan was really into alliance with the Brits and spent a lot of time in Canton. The British kinda leverage that amount of trust quite a bit.

Cheng kingdom is probably close to french, I suppose?

Yup. Initially the Cheng are the most eager westernizers and everyone likes them, but as Taiping drops into the British sphere and becomes increasingly hostile, the Dacheng look for a protector in France.

British-COLOMBIAN protectorate?

Yup! :p

(For a longer explanation, my timeline features a united Hispanic America called Colombia that takes the role of the USA, more or less. In fact, the reason the Opium War got delayed and hit China so hard is that Colombia was able to get its crap together regarding silver purity in the 1830s, which defuses the situation of bullion trade for a couple of years)

And why there is one prussia- and one germany-held city? Different German unification, with Prussia out or typo?

Oooh, sharp eyes. Spoilers for my TL, but yup, German unification is different here

Status
Not open for further replies.