Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krisvilleee.png

Guess where.

Weirdly, I was gonna guess a German North Anatolia...

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that purple blob looked vaguely reminiscent of Anatolia, I was think it was a weird reversal where Germans immigrated in mass to Turkey post-WWII as a reverse of the Turkish immigration to Germany of OTL.

Yes I do mean that Cairo is the capital but it is known by the arabic name. Like how many more? Should I have the Kingdom only include the Hejaz and Egypt/Cyrenaica and make the Levant and Syria/Mesopotamia into Protectorates and also have the rest of Islamic Africa become protectorates? If so, I understand where you are coming from and I will start working on that now.
I'm not saying you 'should' do anything. A much earlier POD would might be necessary for Res Sea state to be a hegemon.

And Cairo is basically pronounced the same way anyways, and the locals pronounce it like that (or use words almost exactly like it, such as how even though the Ottoman capital was was called Kostantiniyye and Europeans refered to it as Constantinople, as they had for over a thousand years... Well, the Turks also called the city Istanbul in one form I another for over a thousand years. I just don't feel the POD would be late enough for locals, Europeans, and other Arabs to refer to a city (in this way Cairo) in a different way than their people had since time immemorial.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Here's a small idea I've been entertaining; somewhere halfway between fantasy and science fiction. I'm not married to the names of the worlds either, I've basically been using them as placeholders though they may stick if I can't think up anything better. Oh, and this was partially inspired by A Jovian Night's Dream by Archangel Michael and Xhavnak/Woolly Mammoth's Tales of Ethelia. Credit where it's due.

The basic premise is that Humanity lives across these five moons surrounding the gas giant Wurangkili, having either colonised them eons ago or evolved and rapidly developed interplanetary travel due to observations of these many Edens by historic astronomers. Technology is very truncated, with astrophysics, aeronautical and astronautical engineering, telecommunications, radiography and electrical engineering all being incredibly advanced for the time span in which they were developed. But the television has not been invented and computers rely on analogue controls and readouts, firearms are clunky and biomedicine has yet to develop even basic medications like penicillin. Society too is awfully aristocratic and backwards, racism on both a local and planetary basis persists and the social hierarchy on almost every world is entrenched. Antagonistic politics are rife across all these moons, but on a planetary level are derived in part from their position in Wurangkili's orbit which is as follows; Kanaplila, Lakri, Muka, Mapali and Mungalina.

Kanaplila
Population: 0.9 Billion
Kanaplila orbits relatively close to Wurangkili, and unless on the farthest side of the moon the great vermilion gas giant is always visible even as a hill on the horizon. Due to this Kanaplila's inhabitants are bombarded near directly with Wurangkili's magnetic radiation, but have adapted a thick skin rich in melanin[1]. Given their reliance on and domination by Lakrian factions and relative underdevelopment they are oft discriminated against in the wider Wurangkili System. Hiding out in the hinterlands of the imposing Kūndi Cordillera or the few independent nation states on Kanaplila, saboteurs and revolutionaries connive with Mukan agents to overthrow their largely colonial rule. Their economy is dominated by textiles, sugarcane, fisheries, precious minerals and other resource extraction, and their is much discontent with the Kanplilan home planet being turned into a giant factory.[2]

Lakri
Population: 1.3 Billion
The home of, arguably, the most powerful polity among the Daughters(the Kashari Raj), Lakri is a physically dramatic land of roughshod isles, staggering valleys florid with saturated rainforests and wide fens and grasslands. As such it is home to expansive, aggressive and divisive factions that when not fighting among themselves turn their attention to the greater Wurangkili System. The Raj in particular, possessing 3 of Lakri's 5 space elevators, 4 skyhooks and half it's astronautical manufacturies has many astronautical territories as well as land on Kanaplila, Mungalina and -much to their discontent- Muka. Currently a grand coalition of sorts has evolved on the moon, with subversive nations on Muka partaking, in the hopes of strangling the moon's economic productivity via privateering, sabotage and the stimulation of rebellion of those under the Mukan foot. Presuming Muka doesn't do the same to them.[3]

Muka
Population: 1.1 Billion
Oft considered to have a bit of a complex about their relationship with Lakri, Muka is caught between two major planetary powers without much room for expansion and so have few colonies beyond the moon itself. Many of their factions are republics, corrupt as they may be, a fairly unique ideological quirk as far as Wurangkili goes. They seem to have a similar geological history as Lakri, and some scientists believe that they developed in the wake of the disintegration of a previous satellite billions of years ago[4]. They do boast a better average quality of life, in part because of their excellent relationship with Mapali at Lakrian expense, and are a more pluralistic -if militant- society as a result.[5]

Mapali
Population: 1.5 Billion
Kingdoms and Barons of wheat and rice dominate this populous agricultural behemoth. Blessed with huge, naturally irrigated plains and utilising advanced farming techniques and their bustling population Mapalese factions maintain their neutrality as Muka and Lakri feud via holding their respective populations by the nose; Lakri and Muka can feed themselves but not the many exotic and bountiful cuisines that Mapali provides. To upset Mapali would be to have their people rebel. As such, they are a peaceable, exorbitant and neutral economic giant that doesn't flex more than necessary. They act as an intermediary to Mungalina, but otherwise trend towards isolationist policies; those states that do engage in open factional dialogue with offworld polities are typically severely punished. They are also a centre of science, and Mapalese vessels have traveled far afield and should in due time reach the closest neighbouring planet, Kitana. [6][6.5]

Mungalina
Population: 0.6 Billion
Mungalina possesses a somewhat eccentric orbit that sees them loop far beyond the tight concentric circles that make up the rest of Wurangkili's orbits. This has meant that they spend particularly long periods of time beyond the average ship's range[7]. This has translated into an society alien from the slowly emerging interglobal culture of the Mapali-Muka-Lakri orbital range, and their climate, languages and products are of considerable value. But maintaining a colonial presence is difficult, and Lakri and Muka only possess small outposts on the moon.
It should be noted that this doesn't mean Mungalina is backwards, indeed a colonial subjugation would be difficult for exactly the opposite reason. Mungalina is quite advanced for it's situation and maintains excellent relations with Mapali to ensure that state of affairs.[8]

The small infographic on the map displays the number of space elevators, skyhooks and astronautical manufacturies that each planet possesses. It should be noted that many of these skyhooks and elevators are actually independent polities, not answering to any particular colonial master and possessing huge station cities floating above the moons, a bit like free ports.

5 lil worlds.png

[1] - Due to the difference in sizes between these worlds and our own the general skintone is more limited, take into account the magnetosphere and the sun and people trend towards a swarthy, Mediterranean complexion on average. At the equators this darkens to a sort of Indian complexion and towards the poles is closer to say, Northern Italians or perhaps Khoisan people. I'm not sure about ethnology, but I tend to imagine mixed race people. It's only on Kanaplila that people are properly black, as in heavy with melanin, however.

[2] - Kanaplila is a mishmash of historic colonies, including the Raj, South Africa, the Caribbean's many sugar barons, Australia, Indochina and the Dutch East Indies.

[3] - Based in large part on the British Empire, but also my home state of Tasmania, the Spanish Empire, Qing China and the Ottomans.

[4] - Or whilst terraforming the colonisers used the same techniques and resources.

[5] - France, Republican China, the Russian Empire, the early United States and Mauritius inspired this world.

[6] - Based especially off of the United States, but also the Qing, Egypt, Canada and Brazil.
[6.5] - I might do a map of Kitana if people like. It's an icy, martian-esque world but still possesses tectonic activities and some suspect an expansive sea beneath the mantle.

[7] - Only Mapalese nations have the resources to spend on deep space travel; fuel restrictions (Coming largely from biodiesel, solar and magnetism) and truncated life support systems mean that most vessels can only independently spend a few weeks in space. Which is generally not an issue given it only takes at most to get from Mapali to Kanaplila.

[8] - Mungalina takes inspiration from Japan, Brazil, Morocco, Korea, Polynesia and Thailand, among others. I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Well, crossing my fingers on this. Hope posting goes okay this time. Wish me luck.

Good luck! The reboot has dealt with my comments. (whether you care or not. :) ) I'm not sure if the Railroads entry was in the legend in the lower left, but I definitely see it now. Good call on St. Thomas Arizona. I am curious as to the two cities show in far NW Sonora: Zoni and Pt. Isaebel, they don't seem to currently exist iOTL . Given the continued existence of St. Thomas and the existence of the port, I'm presuming no Hoover Dam iTTL and perhaps continued navigability of the Colorado River.

Status
Not open for further replies.