Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, I never really thought Napoleon would have put too much thought into hit, seeing as it was a pretty blatantly suicidal move.

Maybe this was more Maximilian's idea? He was apparently full of Improving Ideas, right up until they shot him.

I can vaguely see the second Mexican empire looking plausible during the French invasion in 1861-1862, because a Confederate victory seemed possible at the time and a French client Mexico looks more probable if you could get the Confederacy on board. But by the time Max arrived in May 1864, it was clearly only a matter of time before the Union ground down the remaining bits of the CSA, and the rational response would have been to just put him back on the boat and ship him back to Austria, but events do take on a momentum of their own and everybody is more fearful of looking silly in the now than possible future disaster, which will be Future Them's problem.

it's more of a victory for both Britain and Germany in Africa, and Eastern Europe was a complete German Victory, but overall it's more of a mixed in terms of who won

Tanganyika, woop de doo. Doesn't seem much of a victory for France - did they at least get Alsace-Lorraine back? (Darn undersized laptop screen...) What goes on with Belgium?

Tanganyika, woop de doo. Doesn't seem much of a victory for France - did they at least get Alsace-Lorraine back? (Darn undersized laptop screen...) What goes on with Belgium?
It seems that France got Alsace-Lorraine from Germany (but lost the Congo and Indochina seems independent), and Belgium has also been "relieved" of her colonies

Maybe this was more Maximilian's idea? He was apparently full of Improving Ideas, right up until they shot him.

I can vaguely see the second Mexican empire looking plausible during the French invasion in 1861-1862, because a Confederate victory seemed possible at the time and a French client Mexico looks more probable if you could get the Confederacy on board. But by the time Max arrived in May 1864, it was clearly only a matter of time before the Union ground down the remaining bits of the CSA, and the rational response would have been to just put him back on the boat and ship him back to Austria, but events do take on a momentum of their own and everybody is more fearful of looking silly in the now than possible future disaster, which will be Future Them's problem.
Yeah, it was done by the Mexicans, more specifically this guy. You have to remember this was a Mexican endeavor as much as a French one.

Hold on a sec, it seems Belgium got Germany's portion of Papua New Guinea, unless I'm seeing this wrong.

I think that they did. As for Tanganyika, the British really wanted it for that sweet sweet railroad, though I agree that Germany got too much.

@KolyenuKS I would recommend giving the Germans that Chad-CAR bit with part, but not all, of the Belgian and French Congos.

Maybe something like this (very roughly):

KolyenkuKS-WW1 Stalemate Africa.png

[EDIT: Malawi]

Last edited:
Why would the Germans get more land from the French in this scenario?

Because that's what K-KS's map is sort of based around. Also, France does seem to get back A-L. I guess it's in exchange for that and Britain getting Tanganyika. They said there was a stalemate on the Western Front, so this is my best very quick attempt at a more moderate/balance of power-ey solution than the original massive Mittelafrika.

Because that's what K-KS's map is sort of based around. Also, France does seem to get back A-L. I guess it's in exchange for that and Britain getting Tanganyika. They said there was a stalemate on the Western Front, so this is my best very quick attempt at a more moderate/balance of power-ey solution than the original massive Mittelafrika.
Hm. Fair enough.

Doesn't seem much of a victory for France - did they at least get Alsace-Lorraine back? (Darn undersized laptop screen...) What goes on with Belgium?
It seems that France got Alsace-Lorraine from Germany (but lost the Congo and Indochina seems independent), and Belgium has also been "relieved" of her colonies
what Peppe said, France got Alsace-Lorraine, in exchange, they gave up some colonies (France was almost collapsing goverment wise, and could only survive another few months of war, then again, so was germany)

I think that they did. As for Tanganyika, the British really wanted it for that sweet sweet railroad, though I agree that Germany got too much.
I was thinking of like Belgium keeping the Southern half of the Congo, with Germany getting most of the north, and France (for now, at least) keeping (most of) Gabon-Congo.

Edit: Something like this?
1592457938451.png

Last edited:
what Peppe said, France got Alsace-Lorraine, in exchange, they gave up some colonies (France was almost collapsing goverment wise, and could only survive another few months of war, then again, so was germany)

I was thinking of like Belgium keeping the Southern half of the Congo, with Germany getting most of the north, and France (for now, at least) keeping (most of) Gabon-Congo.

What's going on with the modern borders in the Caucasus?

View attachment 557863
What happened with Thailand and Iran?

View attachment 557863
I don't really see it. France getting back Alsace-Lorraine isn't a gain in their eyes, it's a return to the norm and they wouldn't be satisfied with being forced to give up colonial land the size of their European territory to get it back. A stalemate would more likely involve Germany losing their African and Pacific colonies but being allowed to remain intact while gaining a sphere of influence in the Baltics and not having to pay Versailles-level reparations.

Skallagrim

Banned
That's a huuuuuuuge victory for Germany and just Germany. France seems to have gotten completely rekt and AH seems to have collapsed completely with Hungary getting randomly screwed as well. Not to mention Russia seems to have avoided the USSR entirely?
So actually a huge victory for both Germany and Russia, then?

(Granted, Russia in the ATL may not see it that way, but they dodged a bullet there.)

So actually a huge victory for both Germany and Russia, then?

(Granted, Russia in the ATL may not see it that way, but they dodged a bullet there.)
Well they clearly lost a bit of territory. If coloration is anything to go by, this is a Russia where the Czar managed to negotiate a new constitution that gives the Duma a good deal of control over the direction of the country. Which is to say, a Russia that has probably freed the serfs but has perhaps only delayed communist/fascist revolution. Russia wasn't in a good place going into the 20th century OTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.