Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another excellent map. And I would love to see all the maps together on one thread - if it's not too much work! :eek:

Quibbles:

-the OTL gold rush took place in the north of California - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gold_Rush#/media/File:CaliforniaGoldRush.png Were there comparable southern deposits that were discovered later?

-wouldn't the Japanese find the south of California a bit dry for settlement? Japan is mostly humid subtropic and humid continental: the coastal climate in southern California is Mediterranean, for which Japan doesn't have an equivalent, while inland is of course fairly arid (plus grizzlies :p )

-I think the Japanese would be more likely to head *America-wards out of desire to emulate Chinese voyages than any conducted by big-nosed weirdoes from the other side of the planet: after all, keeping up with the Hans has been a Japanese interest for, oh, 90% of their recorded history. :)

-the OTL gold rush took place in the north of California - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gold_Rush#/media/File:CaliforniaGoldRush.png Were there comparable southern deposits that were discovered later?

I think there was some gold in the south, but I might be very wrong. Sorry if I made a mistake there. :<

-wouldn't the Japanese find the south of California a bit dry for settlement? Japan is mostly humid subtropic and humid continental: the coastal climate in southern California is Mediterranean, for which Japan doesn't have an equivalent, while inland is of course fairly arid (plus grizzlies :p )

Meh, currents and all that. :p I think they would have been able to successfully settle the coast a bit (if only to make sure the French didn't take over the area), and then work slowly inland over time.

-I think the Japanese would be more likely to head *America-wards out of desire to emulate Chinese voyages than any conducted by big-nosed weirdoes from the other side of the planet: after all, keeping up with the Hans has been a Japanese interest for, oh, 90% of their recorded history. :)

Fair enough, I'll fix that now. ;)

Japanese sailors made contact with European ones in the early-1500's, soon before the embarkment of China to the Ashoqui Empire. The semi-isolationist Japan, wanting to be slightly more like the Europeans (and the Ancient Han Chinese, who were famous sailors in Japanese literature), sent multiple surveying missions to the New World. While the emperor, and most of his shoguns, were against such an unnecessary expansion, a couple men still made their residence in Litirland (also known as Azumatochi, 東土地). By the 1600's, the emperor claimed personal ownership over the new colony of "Tengoku", and appointed military rule over the region. The next two hundred years went well for the colony; while the land didn't rapidly expand, gold was discovered in 1782, causing a mass influx of Japanese and Chinese settlers to the colony. However, in 1795, the shoguns of Imaka and Aketsujio rebelled, forming nations under militaristic jurisdiction. The Christian settlers (some Danish settlers looking for gold, others just converted Japanese) to the east formed "Yamato-of-the-Desert", a theocratic nation under the rule of a lost priest (credit goes to B_Munro, for the name of this country).

Shogun means something along the lines of "Dictator" or "Generalissimo"; the de facto Political and de jure military leader of Japan during this era. The term you a most likely looking for is "Daimyo" or "Shugo", which these domains in California and their rulers would be classified as. The idea is still cool though. I like your series of maps!

Last edited:
Like at all. Why exactly are you being so rude to them?

If he doesn't respond to ANYONE, posts asb maps, and never gives ANY explanation then I'm calling it spam. If he decides to actually explain his stuff a little or respond to me then it will not be as spamy.

And he sometimes asks for maps, so he doesn't have a language barrier issue.

Shogun means something along the lines of "Dictator" or "Generalissimo"; the de facto Political and de jure military leader of Japan during this era. The term you a most likely looking for is "Daimyo" or "Shugo", which these domains in California and their rulers would be classified as. The idea is still cool though. I like your series of maps!

That probably would have made more sense, sorry for not putting the proper research in. :eek: Thank you, though! :D

If he doesn't respond to ANYONE, posts asb maps, and never gives ANY explanation then I'm calling it spam. If he decides to actually explain his stuff a little or respond to me then it will not be as spamy.

Dude. This argument's been going on for six pages, the guy hasn't even made any posts since then. Just let it go.

Dude. This argument's been going on for six pages, the guy hasn't even made any posts since then. Just let it go.

tumblr_n1y0fyjTfv1qbvc3po1_250.gif

I'm so sorry, the joke was there.

Seriously though, just leave them be.

Will you shut up and stop acting like a gigantic Ass?

My god, it was bad enough when you spread your bullshit in the map game forum, don't spread it everywhere.

So why not report it and move on?

Fine. I'm calling all your complaints about him spam. My doing that about as meaningful as your complaint about him though.

I went back and searched through your replies to him. Right from the start, you called him a spammer. There wasn't a single nice thing you said to him anywhere. That makes you little better than a troll. And worse -- a troll who trolls the newbies.

By asking for responses for everyone else too, you're also playing white knight on behalf of people who, quite frankly, are capable adults able to ask for themselves if so inclined.

Last edited:

Lulach's Legacy
One - Lulachfrýgyld in 1450
Two - Lulachfrýgyld in 1130
Three - Mythological Lands
Four - Confederation of Hálignausé
Five - Discovery of "Litirland"
Six - Europe in 1450
Seven - The Langlífrejr
Eight - Litirland/Litherland in 1650
Nine - Settlement of Litirland in 1700
Ten - Herbergia 1700-1940
Eleven - The Fall of the Ashoqui

Hoping to move all this to the new thread soon, but I'm not sure how to do all of it. Should I just copy everything already made, or continue it from where I left off without updating the thread?

Twelve - Growth of the Shoguns

Japanese sailors made contact with European ones in the early-1500's, soon before the embarkment of China to the Ashoqui Empire. The semi-isolationist Japan, wanting to be slightly more like the Europeans (and the Ancient Han Chinese, who were famous sailors in Japanese literature), sent multiple surveying missions to the New World. While the emperor, and most of his shoguns, were against such an unnecessary expansion, a couple men still made their residence in Litirland (also known as Azumatochi, 東土地). By the 1600's, the emperor claimed personal ownership over the new colony of "Tengoku", and appointed military rule over the region. The next two hundred years went well for the colony; while the land didn't rapidly expand, gold was discovered in 1782, causing a mass influx of Japanese and Chinese settlers to the colony. However, in 1795, the shoguns of Imaka and Aketsujio rebelled, forming nations under militaristic jurisdiction. The Christian settlers (some Danish settlers looking for gold, others just converted Japanese) to the east formed "Yamato-of-the-Desert", a theocratic nation under the rule of a lost priest (credit goes to B_Munro, for the name of this country).

Japanese *California? Loving it, Upvoteanthology! :D

Brazil probably does; Integralism didn't really mind race IOTL, and with Argentina getting a full-blown case of the crazies Rio is probably quite happy to curry favour from the entirety of its population by painting itself as an inclusive fascist paradise (with a lot of Japanese support, one imagines). At worst, I see South America as somewhat better than OTL South Africa; actual Nazism's scanty commentary on Native Americans seems to have followed the noble savage myth. Mind you, this novel also has institutionalised child prostitution and homosexuality (yep, 70s Nazisploitation in all its subtle glory :rolleyes:), so it might not be.
I probably should have specified. I meant those from India and Indonesia that the British and Dutch shipped in to make up for labor shortfalls. And I just noticed the part with Haiti. Does the Madagascar part mean it is where African-Americans were shipped? I can only imagine how documentary makers would compare the darker skinned, Catholic, Creole speakers to them. And I am guessing the white population in Dominican Republic got their pick of which country wanted to be made whiter. Unless they got punished for being the only country to offer to take in many Jewish refugees due to them being white.

Fallout: Sweden

i would play the HELL out of that game!

also Upvote that is the best Japanese California* map ive ever seen on this site. Kudos for your great skill!

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'

Bro.

Bro, calm down.

I thought I was being rude when I called his borders of the states Varicose Veins but you've taken it to a whole new level. Like vendetta level towards a new guy who just wants to post maps.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Enough already.

You made your point. It also has been made clear by others that you are a minority in holding it. Back off of the newbie.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Will you shut up and stop acting like a gigantic Ass?

My god, it was bad enough when you spread your bullshit in the map game forum, don't spread it everywhere.

There is a simply glorious alternative to this sort of attack post.

It is the report button.

Please use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.