Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some (or, a lot of) coaching, ability to emphasize his military record in a mostly national security-based election against Wolf, embracing of immigration reform, and deciding not to contest social issues other than abortion (gay marriage being legal at this point in all 50 states and therefore a dead issue--the GOP platform that year omitted any mention of it), and endorsement of a minimum wage raise to $11 (which was actually passed in 2021), which is based on his OTL endorsement of the Arkansas minimum wage ballot initiative.

I hate to say this, but none of this is at all likely, and even if he did *do* any of that, he'd be risking alienating enough of his particular base to swing the election to the Democrat(Tom Wolf, in this case), whom quite a few independents would still vote for anyway, even if mainly out of disgust for what many of them would see as flip-flopping or even hypocrisy on the part of the GOP(it's a good part of the reason Romney lost in 2012, and he's possibly the least extremist candidate the GOP had offered then!).

Hey, man, I don't want to be too hard on you here: I do like what you've done with Russia, and this whole TL in general has potential. But if you really want a realistic scenario in regards to America, I'd suggest having Tom Wolf win in 2020, or, if you feel you absolutely must have a Republican, I would go with Susan Collins or Rob Portman; Collins, especially, doesn't have the stigmas that are already and would continue to be associated with any other GOP candidate, and, because of that, would actually have a solid chance of winning over enough independents to win the White House, and the same goes for Portman(or Lisa Murkowski, even!) as well, even if quite a bit of the Teabagger base gets alienated in the process.

The Cthulhu Projection?

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 4.00.40 AM.png

револю́ция​

Specific questions on the world are appreciated!

Very nice, but wouldnt China do more? As Japan declared war I could see China to invade Siberia, to 'secure' for the 'legitimate government' of Russia which they have ties due to the Shanghai pact. Of course, since Russia is screwed, they would most likely eventually turn it into a puppet nation. They could also ally with the Central Asians in order to gain massive influence and kick out the Russians, both red and white, out of there.

The first map in a series. It's 1840, about 20 years after a certain British man falls off his boat in the Mediterranean. Butterflies have grown to massive numbers and sizes, but nothing truly outlandish has happened to distinguish TL-54 from OTL.

Highlights include the ongoing conflict between the Nueva Liga Federal and the outer provinces in the 'United' Provinces of South America (Argentina*). Brazil-Portugal is too busy dealing with it's internal problems to take advantage of that situation and reclaim Cisplatina, but the NLF is also too busy in it's own territories to take military action against the revolting provinces, especially the organized and internationally partially recognized states of Bolivia and
Güemeria.

Amongst the other post-colonial states of Latin America, Mexico is having similarly bad issues. Local imperialist sentiment and American filibustering have contributed to the extremely odd Union of the Rio Grande, whilst the Republic of the Yucatan has also recently joined the ranks of revolting states in Latin America. The United Provinces of Central America watches with amusement as the situation unfolds.

In Africa, the Hamdullahi Caliphate has spread like wildfire in the past few decades, spreading it's control and it's state religion of Islam by the sword, defeating the infantile Sokoto Caliphate and forcing it's populace eastwards towards the failing Bornu Empire. In Ethiopia, the Zemene Mesafint is drawing to a close, but the victorious Yohannes III is head of a far weaker state than would emerge IOTL.

Further north in Europe, the repeated failures of the Greek Revolutionaries have resulted in naught but dead bodies and the reform of the Ottoman army. Further north still, the United Kingdom is gaining momentum in it's reforms towards multiculturalism. The UK of the Netherlands, that is. Separatism is at an all time low.

The real story this year, though, has to be the rapid expansion of the War In Assam. What started as a baseless skirmish between untrained Burmese militia and the East India Company troops in Bengal has evolved into a regional war, with the Qing Empire of all people entering on the side of Burma and several other powers supporting one or the other. History will remember this as the last great hurrah of the Qing Empire and the source of sparks to ignite the First Great Sepoy Mutiny. Further, it highlighted the inefficiency of the Konbaung armies when faced with western troops, which would lead the reigning monarch Pagan Min*and the future Empress Ma Thiri Shwe to approach various European powers, resulting eventually in the decline of Siam and the rise of Burma under the Konbaung Family into a power that could rival the best of Europe. (*Not the OTL guy and not the bloody video game character.)

Other things of note: The situation on the ground in Oregon/Columbia is actually far more complicated. The Russian claims on the West Coast aren't delineated and the settlements they control, much less claim, extend to California. The borders in Russia are a mixture of made up divergences, the canonical basemap 1914 borders, and the only bleeding source I could find anywhere for pre-1910 Russian internal divisions- this site, which is actually pretty excellent. If anyone has any questions let me know, anyhow. This post brought to you by 05:00 in the morning, so please excuse any errors.

1840.png

I found this on my computer, I made it ages ago. I forget what the pod is, but I think it had something to do with Greece joining the Central Powers in WWI

different.png

My proposal to you, with worldwide alterations...
Thanks for the help. I'll work on the thermonuclear war one now. Is it possible to doe one were the cold war is continued and the USA doent colapse and stuff? I was doeing this map and came up with a super charged space race timeline to go with it.
Virtually the same map:
alter map USOR new world age.png

alter map USOR new world age.png

1BOeQHw.png

A work in progress of a Q-BAM map of the world with a 9 meter sea level rise. Sorry, Netherlands and Florida, it looks like things will go south for you.

A rising sea level map without a flooded Caspian, sea of Siberia and Giant sphere shaped Sinoscrew??? perish the thought!

Hapsburg.png

Here's an update on that Habsburg map I was working on yesterday. Some advice on Habsburg *pakistan internal borders would be appreciated.
And yes I do realise it looks terrible it has a long way to go

Tell me more about what's going on in SAcparticularly the liga federal?
Well, let's see. Venezuala, Peru, and particularly Colombia are all stable republics/Presidential Dictatorships which have the power projection capabilities to bully Brazil-Portugal, formerly the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves. The latter has recently been dealing with low-level internal problems on all four continents that it has possessions, but it's starting to climb it's way back up into the ranks of the Great Powers slowly but surely. Paraguay is a hidden power, much stronger than it was at the time IOTL and looked down on by it's neighbors to future ill effect. Chile is a relatively peaceful country, though elements advocating union with Peru or even the Spanish Crown are still strong. Towards the part you specifically questioned... The rapid fire change of governments, each with different ideologies and aims, starting with the Liga de los Puebla Libres in 1815, has left the more southerly section of South America a mess. Bolivia and most recently Güemeria have established themselves at La Plata and Jujuy respectively, independent both from the feuding Outer Provinces and the federalist Nueva Liga Federal which controls the East Coast of the former Viceroyalty of Rio de la Plata. That latter is primarily the work of José Gervasio Artigas; in OTL he was banished to Paraguay, but ITTL he led a confederation of several provinces in a crusade against the Portuguese authorities to retake Cisplatina. The momentum he gained from this conquest would allow him to continue and take Buenos Aires, eliminating the last bastion of Argentine Unitarianism and inadvertently dooming the possibility of a United Provinces of South America which is actually united. Ironically, by taking the city and establishing it as his capitol, he has sided with the Unitarians in the eyes of the independent Outer Provinces. Even now, a movement towards uniting their disparate aims and establishing a Confederation of La Plata independent of the coastal provinces is in the works. Ongoing internal feuds in the Nueva Liga Federal, popularly known now as The Argentine, have paralyzed it's offensive capabilities, although it's popular militia and police forces are enough to keep Portuguese interests out. French investment is pouring into the region, even as Prussian officers train the armies of Paraguay and British envoys scout the jungles of Brazil. The region is ripe to become a proxy conflict for the powers of Europe.

EDIT: End of page syndrome is the devil.

The first map in a series. It's 1840, about 20 years after a certain British man falls off his boat in the Mediterranean. Butterflies have grown to massive numbers and sizes, but nothing truly outlandish has happened to distinguish TL-54 from OTL.

Highlights include the ongoing conflict between the Nueva Liga Federal and the outer provinces in the 'United' Provinces of South America (Argentina*). Brazil-Portugal is too busy dealing with it's internal problems to take advantage of that situation and reclaim Cisplatina, but the NLF is also too busy in it's own territories to take military action against the revolting provinces, especially the organized and internationally partially recognized states of Bolivia and
Güemeria.

Amongst the other post-colonial states of Latin America, Mexico is having similarly bad issues. Local imperialist sentiment and American filibustering have contributed to the extremely odd Union of the Rio Grande, whilst the Republic of the Yucatan has also recently joined the ranks of revolting states in Latin America. The United Provinces of Central America watches with amusement as the situation unfolds.

In Africa, the Hamdullahi Caliphate has spread like wildfire in the past few decades, spreading it's control and it's state religion of Islam by the sword, defeating the infantile Sokoto Caliphate and forcing it's populace eastwards towards the failing Bornu Empire. In Ethiopia, the Zemene Mesafint is drawing to a close, but the victorious Yohannes III is head of a far weaker state than would emerge IOTL.

Further north in Europe, the repeated failures of the Greek Revolutionaries have resulted in naught but dead bodies and the reform of the Ottoman army. Further north still, the United Kingdom is gaining momentum in it's reforms towards multiculturalism. The UK of the Netherlands, that is. Separatism is at an all time low.

The real story this year, though, has to be the rapid expansion of the War In Assam. What started as a baseless skirmish between untrained Burmese militia and the East India Company troops in Bengal has evolved into a regional war, with the Qing Empire of all people entering on the side of Burma and several other powers supporting one or the other. History will remember this as the last great hurrah of the Qing Empire and the source of sparks to ignite the First Great Sepoy Mutiny. Further, it highlighted the inefficiency of the Konbaung armies when faced with western troops, which would lead the reigning monarch Pagan Min*and the future Empress Ma Thiri Shwe to approach various European powers, resulting eventually in the decline of Siam and the rise of Burma under the Konbaung Family into a power that could rival the best of Europe. (*Not the OTL guy and not the bloody video game character.)

Other things of note: The situation on the ground in Oregon/Columbia is actually far more complicated. The Russian claims on the West Coast aren't delineated and the settlements they control, much less claim, extend to California. The borders in Russia are a mixture of made up divergences, the canonical basemap 1914 borders, and the only bleeding source I could find anywhere for pre-1910 Russian internal divisions- this site, which is actually pretty excellent. If anyone has any questions let me know, anyhow. This post brought to you by 05:00 in the morning, so please excuse any errors.

1840.png

Last edited:

Dirk

Banned
Here's an update on that Habsburg map I was working on yesterday. Some advice on Habsburg *pakistan internal borders would be appreciated.
And yes I do realise it looks terrible it has a long way to go

wtf is going on in Persia

Status
Not open for further replies.