Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Map of Azeroth from World of Warcraft after the Cataclysm.

Azeroth.png

After the Great War the Angevin, Burgundian and Hispanic Empires disolve (though the later is technically one of the winners of the war).

Black are old states and borders, red are new ones.

Rump-France would like merge with Burgundy (much more powerful thanks to stronger industrialisation) but the Laeague of Nations objects.

The White Armies of Spain are not pictured.

Lots of fighting in Ulster where Irish and Scotsmen can't agree on the border.

V = Vizcaya
N = Navarre
A = Aragon
M = Monaco
E = Eidgenossenschaft

angvin klein.png

Now is it just me or does Thousand Needles resemble something.... inappropriate? But all jesting aside the map is remarkable.
You're my favorite person today.
Huh, I wonder if I'll ever see a Warcraft map game now. Great job by the way.
Thanks to everyone. There is still a lot of work to be done.
Wow - no pun intended! Do you think you could whip up a version with Pandaria, or is there not enough room?
Given that Northrend barely fits on the map, I do not think that I can put Pandaria in there without serious damage to map itself. And even if I could do it, I would not try - I hate pandas.
But the map still has a lot of space where I can put all those islands of Warcraft which are specified in lore but don't exist in the game yet (as Kul Tiras and Zandalar, for example).

30. Januar 1813 - Fortress of Küstrin

Ludwig Yorck von Wartenburg tightened himself while the firing squad took position and reflected about his live for a final time: Born out of wedlock to an kashubian soldier of dubious nobility, later imprisoned because he called his commanding officer a thieve, colonial campaigns in East India and South Africa, then the grand carriere as through ability and bravery his star rose in the collapsing Prussian state, finally the command of the Prussian corps sent to support Napoleon against the Russians and the mistake that brought him here: On his on authority he had removed his corps from the war and made peace with Russia.
He still thought he had acted in the best intrets of the dynasty but the king saw it different. Yorck had been brought to Küstrin under guard and was now about to be executed.
Then the salve broke and his life was over.

16. März 1813 Breslau - The kings quarters

The old major domo tightened himself. He was troubled as he could hear the mob chanting and jelling outside but he appeared to sound firm "The king is resting you can't enter".
But the man who led the group of junior officers that had appeared with out prior notice was not to be turned away.
"He has sleeped far to long. It is time to wake the country from this nightmare"
It took the King of Prussia looked in disbelieve at the men that confronted him in his nearly dark bedroom. Some were complete strangers, some he might have seen once or twice at a parade, some seemed wellknown. But two men stood out:
A generals uniform, a strong figure that had begun to get fat, a broad face disfigured by duelling scars and the wrinkels of anger. The brain of the Prussian army. The man who was said to live on a diet of rusty nails, gunpowder and dead frenchmen: August Neidhardt von Gneisenau.
Another general, officaly the commander of the engineering corps, in truth much more. Dark and melancholic, disorderly uniform and a wild mob of black hair, more looking like some kind of romantic poet than like a soldier.
And in some way he was: the poet of peoples war and peoples army and not only a poet but a prophet of that great national uprising against france many of his young officers seemd to dream about: Gerhard von Scharnhorst
"What does this unusal behaivoir mean?" "Friedrich Wilhelm von Hohenzollern you are under arrest"
"You can not arrest me. In whos name do you act?"
"In the name of the holy eternal Empire of Germany!"

25. März 1815 near Auxerre

Napoleon Bonaparte was calm an relaxed. He was sure that this army wouldn't fight. They had agreed to parley and he knew that if he saw Ney face to face there was no wy his old marshal could resist his command.
But as he entered the tent the face he had expected to see wasn't there. Instead there were three others, two men and a woman.
"Where is marshal?"
It was the woman who replied "He has been ordered back to Paris. It seemed better not to test his loyality to the king" She sneered. "I am Marie Thérèse Charlotte de France duchese d’Angoulême. My husband commands this army and I assure you that, unlike what you might have expected, he will fight. I will see to that." Another sneer then a grin
"If I had to decided we would have attacked right away and your head would by now be in the same condition as my blessed fathers. But lucky for you here is someone who wants to talk to you. He came all the way from Vienna"
The thrid man who had remained int he background till then steped forward. "It is a pleasure to meet your majesty again, even as you distract me from the most urgnet of business. How knows how Europe might look by the time I get back to Vienna. Everything is possible now that the generals have burdned us with this insufferable von Stein and his idee fixe of reviving the Holy Roman Empire"
Napoleon recognized him instantly. The man who had succeded him as the defacto ruler of Europe."And a pleasure to meet you Prince Metternich my noble brother honours me by sending you." "The Emperor of Austria has indeed only the best intentions for you. Therefor I have to make you one final offer. Abadon this fools game and you will receive land worthy of your title and ability."
"And What might this magic kingdom be? How much can fat Louis spare for me?"
"It will not be in France your majesty. Maybe the tragic error at the bottom of this all is that the Buonapartes were always in truth an Italian dynasty. I am entitled to offer you Corsica, sardinia, Genua and the Toscana".
"This is hardly an Empire worthy of me!" "Maybe your majesty but it is land to leave to your son"
Metternich had raised his voice and another man was leading a woman carrying an infant into the tent.
"Marie Louise!" a scream. Then he noticed the man leading her. "And a snake it seems".
"Your majesty is mistaking one of his most loyal servants. In fact I am here to offer you my services again"
"I see you are planing ahead Fouche. A fine mess you have gotten yourselve in. I am sure this young lady" he nodded toward the duchess "has not forgotten that you are one of the men who killed her family. And as soon as you have become expendable..."
"But that you are willing to take your chances with me, makes me think that there might me some potential to this Italian thing. I am tried of fighting all Europe again. Let Italia be, as once before, the setting for a new epoche of glory!"

Only minor changes to the basemap. But maybe I get to do a 20 years after...

House of Bounaparte.png

The current year is 1905 and in Europe Belgium is stronger due to controlling all of Luxembourg, as well as Maastricht, Heerlen and Sittard (OTL all part of Dutch Limburg). Furthermore in the same peace treaty that ended the Belgian War of Independence it also recieved the Dutch holdings on Sumatra, leading to an earlier Belgian colonial empire. In the German states Prussia still managed to take over control over the north but the Emperor in Vienna still holds influence over the southern states.

In the Americas Central America is in quite the good situation, especially after the Mexican collapse caused by Texan independence in 1836 in the early 1840s. Texas is the most powerful Mexican successor state, even though it is culturally closer to the United States. Using the natural harbors of its Pacific provinces it is quite important in the trade with East Asia. The USA is an important manufacturing nation plagued by racial conflicts in the south, where slavery was only abolished recently. In South America Peru, Brazil and Argentina battle for dominance, while near the River Plate small Gaucho republics have managed to survive together.

Asia recently saw the rise of Japan and the fall of the Qing. The old Manchu dynasty was replaced by the northern Empire of China (led by a general who established a system similar to neighbouring Russia) and the southern Chinese Republic (which is largely subsidized by the British-Japanese alliance).

In Africa the British and the French battled for dominance, eventuall dividing most of the continent amongst themselves. However the Austrians, the Spaniards, the Italians and the Belgians were also involved in the partition of the dark continent. Portugal's old holdings mostly remained in their hands until a debt crisis in the late 1880s resulted in them ditching everything east of Angola. In North Africa Egypt maintained independence by clever foreign policy, in southern Africa the Boer Republics banded together to counter British expansion in the region.

If you have any questions or feedback, go ahead! As always, it is much appreciated. The POD by the way is in the early 1830s, which I hope was obvious enough already due to the write-up ;)

belgium_and_texas_1905_by_federalrepublic-d6yw48n.png

Crossposting my MOTF entry.

From the same universe as my entry for MOTF 70:

From A History of Modern Arabia, by Abdullah bin Muhammad Faroukh, New York Press, 2011.

The British involvement in Arabia had long focussed on the reduction of Ottoman Power in the area in favour of their own puppets, protectorates and otherwise influenced states. This was, to a large extent, achieved with Stockholm. The two middle sons of King Hussein I of Hedjaz, Princes Abdullah and Faisal had been instituted as Amirs of Mesopotamia and Syria respectively, after much bartering with the French in the latter case, and while Faisal due to his position was recognised in London as treating with France more than with Britain, it was seen that given the familial ties with the British backed regimes in Baghdad and Mecca that he would at least not be actively antagonistic towards the British crown. Crown Prince Ali, meanwhile, had been installed as Amir of Palestine, a position that would give him a solid grounding in diplomatic juggling due to the many conflicting interests in the Sandjak which included a sizable Jewish minority that Zionists across Europe and America, not to mention the Anti-Semitic who sought the expulsion of that people from their lands, were eagerly attempting to increase with funding for the establishment of Jewish settlements in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa and other locations. While Ali did institute a yearly cap on the number of Jewish immigrants that prevented the trickle from becoming a flood[1], he still had to recognise that the main source of funding for the modernisation and growth of Jerusalem at this point was the Zionist’s settlements that had grown up to the west. Tact was used to try and create compromises that would allow the Jews visiting the Western Wall and the population of the neighbouring Moroccan Quarter from ruffling each-other’s feathers, while non Jews, including Arab Christians, Muslims and Palestinians, were encouraged to create their own neighbourhoods in West Jerusalem to create a more ‘varied’ city while reducing the ability of extreme Zionist nationalists to claim that Jerusalem had become a ‘Jewish City’. Equally, foreign tourist and pilgrimage groups began to increase as peace brought a new interest in Antiquarian studies and greater freedom of movement. Early British concerns over whether it was wise to allow the heir to a throne they wanted control over to get diplomatic training were allieved when Lawrence, appointed soon after the war as British Resident in the Hashemite realms (a position that allowed him to act as an adjunct to the diplomats within the each state while not being tied to permanent residence in either one) pointed out that the King of Hedjaz would need to tread lightly around the situation in Syria and his relations with the Muslim world just as much as the British would, and certainly it would be advisable to have someone willing to recognise the futility of King Hussein’s dream of a united Arab Kingdom which, though pushed from public view by the successes for his house at Stockholm was still his eventual goal.

The immediate post-war situation, lasting from 1919 to 1923, saw the British experiment with several different diplomatic viewpoints with respect to gaining complete dominance over the Arabian Peninsula, based on the existing British colonies and protectorates in Aden, Oman, Nejd and the Gulf. Hopes of a simple ‘Peninsular Ideal’ had been dashed by the failure of the British backed House of Saud, who at the time ruled the Amirate of Nejd and Hasa, to conquer and neutralise the Ottoman backed Rashidi Sultanate of Jabal Shammar[2] in the years following 1916. At the same time, the growing backing of the Hashemites began to relegate the Saudis to a secondary place of importance in British strategic thinking. Stockholm saw the ‘Arab Circle’ created, where the Rashidis were surrounded by British friendly states, though the Amirates of Upper and Lower Asir and the Qasimi King of Mutawakelite Yemen remained outside the British sphere. Syria too represented a weak link. The Saudis were biding their time and gathering their strength for new attacks at this point, while the British started currying favour with the Idrisids of Lower Asir, offering both power over Upper Asir and protection from Yemeni claims to their southern territories. This was strengthened by deals between Hedjaz and Lower Asir to delineate their mutual border. In 1921, however, Ibn Saud declared himself ‘Sultan of Nejd’ and sought greater independence from Britain. London stayed silent, refusing to endorse the title but at the same time wary of losing what had been a valuable ally, even if it had proved lacklustre in the last few years.[3] 1921 also saw the death of Amir Muhammad bin Ali al-Idrisi and the succession of his son Ali. The next two years of weak leadership would be tough for Asir and saw a decline in her prospects with respect to Nejd and Yemen.

The rising prospects of the House of Saud would, however, take a turn for the worse in late 1921 during the latest attempt to conquer the Rashidis. With their forces flagging and the Saudi army taking the capital of Ha’il and laying siege to Al Jawf and positions on the caravan routes towards the Wadi as Sirhan, the Rashidis appealed to the French[4] for protection as they once had the Ottomans in similar circumstances. Paris at first supplied only a small quantity of arms through a private merchant who could be sacrificed to appease the British afterwards if necessary, but as the Rashidis continued to hold out into early 1922, managing even to retake Ha'il in a stealth attack during the summer, this blossomed into a full support agreement in return for a protectorate over the Amirate. London, recognising a fait accompli when presented with one, firmly but politely requested that ibn Saud stop his attack ‘in light of the new diplomatic situation’. Ibn Saud reluctantly agreed, though he resented the British for, in his view, stealing his victory, and for the pointed addressal as ‘Amir of Nejd and Hasa’ showing their opinion for his self declared Sultanate at last. The British-Nejd relationship cooled, and Ibn Saud began preparations for a new attack in between low scale raiding of the British-Ottoman (in practice British-Mesopotamian) protectorate of Kuwait, border probing that was both deniable and indeed denied by Riyadh.

1923 saw a new Amir of Asir as Ali bin Muhammad hand the reins of power to his uncle Hassan bin Ali, a distinctly plain character, though one with more ability than the nephew. French support was finally stabilising the turbulent family politics of the House of Rashid by allowing the ruling Amir, Abdullah bin Sa’ud bin ‘Abd al-Aziz[5] to pay off the less troublesome members of his family and force the more troublesome into exile in Anatolia where several would have fatal ‘accidents’. Already the first of the 4 Amirs since 1906 to have ruled for more than a year, his now strengthened rule would make him the most successful in a generation, halting the decline of the Rashidis relative to the Saudis. It was the Saudis that would make the biggest change however. In late 1923, Ibn Saud launched an attack on the Kingdom of Hedjaz, long his greatest rival for power in Arabia, and began a campaign to conquer the state with the capture of Taif, a moderately important town Southeast of Mecca. London was horrified. While under different circumstances, even a few years earlier, this would have been tolerated, it was now believed that should they fail to protect the Kingdom of their father, the sons of Hussein would take a more anti-British stance. There was not much Abdullah could be expected to do, given his greater reliance on the British, but both the Crown Prince in Palestine and especially Amir Faisal in Syria could easily shift from a pro-British and friendly stance to ones more neutral, or even outright antagonistic, ruining the entire British diplomatic and strategic position in the former Ottoman Empire.

Immediately a battalion of Indian Muslim troops was transferred to Mecca, and given the order simply to ‘defend the Holy cities of Mecca and Media from attack’. Hussein was tasked with the actual defeat of the Saudi forces, but the message was sent that Britain would not stand passively by and watch the Kingdom fall, while the defence of the holy cities without an offence against fellow Muslims was useful propaganda in the Empire itself, though the Wahhabist following of the Saudis would later be used to justify any offensive moves required. As the Hedjazis fought the Saudis in the area surrounding Taif, the Rashidis now used their new strength, with French and tacit British approval, to attack Najd itself, the young Amir riding into battle to prove his mettle to those who were still wary of supporting him. The lightening campaign saw the region of al-Qasim, taken by the Saudi’s during the troubled years of 1906/07, retaken for the Rashidis. Saudi troops now began to withdraw from the Hejaz towards Riyadh to defend the capital if required, and the Hyenas that had been circling, waiting for a sign of the direction of the war, pounced. A joint Mesopotamian-British force began marching into al-Hasa, officially claiming that the region should be part of Mesopotamia due to the previous Ottoman ownership, but quickly showing that a simple land grab and creation of a new British protectorate were more on the cards. Asir strengthened her control over Upper Asir, still requiring most of their strength to defend the southern reaches around Hodeida from Yemen, who at that point were securing territory surrounding Najran.

The battles soon moved from Hedjaz to Najd, and then to the gates of Riyadh itself, before Ibn Saud finally surrendered to the joint Hashemite-Rashidi-British-French force in September of 1924. The Rashidis had their occupation of Qasim recognised, the Asiri and Yemeni gains were likewise confirmed as were the British protectorates over both[6] in a classic case of divide and rule, Saudi settlers and nomads were expelled from the lands east of the Anglo-Ottoman Blue Line, the territory of which was now to be divided between the various British protectorates in the area, now including the new Amirate of Hasa, stripped from the Saudis by the British and as a final indignity the new Amir was King Hussein’s last son, Prince Zeid. The French protectorate over the Rashidis was again confirmed, while the Saudis lost British support and were neutralised, a fact that would see the Rashidis once again capture Riyadh and extinguish the Third Saudi State, with Abdullah bin Mut’ib[7], a particularly troublesome relation, installed as a new French backed Amir of Nejd in 1927. The remaining undefined borders in the region were further delineated, and the British diplomatic situation now shifted to the ‘double crescent’, the two interlocking arcs of the protectorates of Kuwait, the Trucial States, Oman, Aden, Yemen and Asir, and the Hashemite Quintet of friendly, allied and influenced states in Hedjaz, Palestine, Syria, Mesopotamia and Hasa. Fought in many ways as a sideshow to the events in Russia and Europe at the time, this would shape the future of the peninsular for years to come.

[1] Among other things 1917 saw no Balfour declaration due to the stronger hand of the Arabs vis a vis the situation in Syria and Mesopotamia
[2] The author is a tad presumptuous here. Jabal Shammar would remain an Amirate until the Peace with the Saudis in ’24 when, as part of their victory, they raised themselves to the sultanate.
[3] This is essentially OTL, with some small differences with regards to Asir mainly focussing on greater efforts by Britain to delineate the boundary with Hedjaz. The same dynamics are present up to this point after all.
[4] Syria actually has a border with the interior of Arabia TTL.
[5] Not assassinated in 1920 due to butterflies.
[6] Don’t expect Yemen to last while the King still hopes for a greater Yemen...
[7] Surrendered to the Saudis IOTL.

MOF90.png

Interesting scenario, Iserlohn! I'm curious about it, particularly:
How did the slavery issue in the US get resolved ITTL?
What sort of government and standard of living do the various American states have (especially the Mexican successors)?
What about Japan?
Why didn't Prussia get any colonies?
Is there a Suez Canal or Panama/Nicaragua Canal?
What happened to Mozambique?

In this scenario the Nazis gain power around the same time as OTL but a weaker hand for the military as a result of the assassination of Schleicher leads to them being earlier and more extensively replaced by the more politically loyal SS troops. By 1939 with the lack of military common-sense Germany is embroiled in supporting the fascist Slovak and Sudetenland German rebellion in Czechoslovakia and intervening in the French Civil War. This map is set just before the formal annexation of Czechoslovakia that would lead to the outbreak of the Second Great War.

Happy to answer questions.

Postable.png

made this just yesterday, though it's technically a work in progress. it's not that i'm deliberately posting it as incomplete, it's that the rest of the content hasn't yet been determined: this is essentially for a shared world RPG that i'll be introducing to Rplegacy in two days: Titan Rampage. unlike other RPGs i've produced, the setting is supposed to be flexible, adding on to each other over time.

for once, i AM using the permanent sea ice color to indicate permanent sea ice. and yes, that is equatorial sea ice. the idea is that this fictional world, Eotena, has Saturn-like rings around it, which are aligned to the equator and thus those areas are almost constantly in shadow and thus extremely cold. the reason there's more habitable land in the southern hemisphere up to the equator is that prevailing winds from the south make it warm enough that it's not covered with permafrost and tundra until you get almost to the equator. and before anyone asks, the reason the key covers up the entire northern half is mainly because most of the action, to begin with, will be taking place in the southern hemisphere and because the north is more or less cut off from the south by the equatorial ice

the premise of Titan Rampage is that this world, Eotena, was once ruled by the despotic Titans but were overthrown by the current generation of gods, who allowed the various peoples of Eotena to leave their caves and become civilized. many thousands of years later, the Auroran Empire comes under attack by a Cyclops warlord, who releases the Titan named Carnelion, who is eventually defeated by the Auroran general Mineus (my character) but not before he does irreparable damage to Aurora: the faded landmass in the far south is Aurora, sunken beneath the sea. the surviving Aurorans travel west over the course of many years, trying to find a new place to call home, until they come to the far western island at the end of the string of islands stretching from Aurora. it's too difficult for them to continue living there, though; their leader Crius receives a vision from God (the Aurorans are monotheists) telling them to find an ancient temple on the island that would lead them to a new promised land. they do so, and find themselves on the mainland, where it is revealed who saved them: the Titans. in thanks, they restore temples and monuments in the area that honor the Titans, and are attacked by a Hyperborean expedition which happened to be in the area at the time because Titan-worship is taboo. this leads them to war with the United Provinces of Hyperborea across the bay. (if this sounds familiar, this initial story is essentially that of Age of Mythology: The Titans)

Eotena.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.