Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another map just for fun. I seem to like giving 19th century technology to random cultures of choice...

byzantine_notice_by_daeres-d5ta5g0.png

No interest in my Warlord state map? Oh well, you win some you lose some.

That makes me think of girls whom put a status on Myfacespacetweetbook going 'I'm so ugly'. :p

I think it's simply there's so much at certain times it gets overlooked.
I found it interesting, but if it is a quick intel' map then perhaps a different font (more like handwriting if possible) and make it look like a rough old piece of paper?

Crossposting from the map contest:

TIMELINE – 141034 Cold War: Part One - Focus on Kenya by Zauberfloete

It is the year 2022. The United States have just landed a man on Mars, marking the biggest leap of mankind’s technological prowess; the Soviet Union is nearing its one-hundredth anniversary and in Africa the Kenyan president fights a grueling war against the Islamic Insurgents in the coastal and eastern provinces of his country. Supported by the US, Kenyan forces are beginning to make inroads into rebel held areas, after nearly two decades of stalemate.

Now the tide turns and the Islamists are getting desperate. Suicide attacks on civil and governmental institution are increasing, as the Kenyan army brutally retaliates against suspected and real terrorists. The President and his people are on the verge of total victory though how high the cost…

This is part of an Alternate World, a world which is still locked in a Cold war between the United States of America and the Soviet Union, a world where man didn’t retreated from space with moon bases dotting the lunar landscape and where man walks on Mars. An alternate timeline were beside the Cold War there rages numerous conflicts, a bloody War on Drugs in Mexico, Islamists insurgency on the Arabian Peninsula, ethnic cleansing in Africa and others. And China, a China where the third “Gang of Four” lives to the dogma of Chairman Mao.

A world just like our timeline, but different still; where technological advances walk side-by-side with the misery of a Nigerian slum child and where capitalism rules, bolshevism stagnates and Mao bloodies.

A grim world, an advanced world, a corrupt, a naïve, an ideological, a multicultural, a religious, a militaristic, a communist, a democratic World. Watch out for the differences…

First the smaller version:
tl_cold_war_year_2022_kenya_by_zauberfloete_editio_by_zauberfloete21-d5ta8kk.jpg

And the larger version:

tl_cold_war_year_2022_kenya_by_zauberfloete_editio_by_zauberfloete21-d5ta8kk.jpg

Last edited:
That makes me think of girls whom put a status on Myfacespacetweetbook going 'I'm so ugly'. :p

Good point.:rolleyes: As I was posting the comment I was thinking "is this too whiny?". I get it, not everyone finds interesting what I find interesting. I just spent a while working on it and I was hoping for a comment even if the comment was "this is a bad map".

I think it's simply there's so much at certain times it gets overlooked.

Could well be.

I found it interesting, but if it is a quick intel' map then perhaps a different font (more like handwriting if possible) and make it look like a rough old piece of paper?

Do you know where I could get a handwriting font? And how would I make the image look like paper?

Good point.:rolleyes: As I was posting the comment I was thinking "is this too whiny?". I get it, not everyone finds interesting what I find interesting. I just spent a while working on it and I was hoping for a comment even if the comment was "this is a bad map".

It's not whiny, just my humour moment. I get you.

Could well be.
Do you know where I could get a handwriting font? And how would I make the image look like paper?

The font? Nope sorry :(.
As for making something look like old paper, get an image of old paper (try and get a close size) the simply use layers in GIMP, Paint.net etc. Adjust the opacity until it looks right.
That's the easiest way I can think of.

As for making something look like old paper, get an image of old paper (try and get a close size) the simply use layers in GIMP, Paint.net etc. Adjust the opacity until it looks right.

This is pretty much what I'd suggest to. It's what I use to get my paper-style textures, and if the texture on my stuff is what you're after it'll definitely suit you. If not, it's still likely to work for you if you're able to use a program with layering and opacities.

This is pretty much what I'd suggest to. It's what I use to get my paper-style textures, and if the texture on my stuff is what you're after it'll definitely suit you. If not, it's still likely to work for you if you're able to use a program with layering and opacities.

Exactly, and you can adjust the brightness/contrast to help bring out text.

This is my quick attempt, it would be bigger but the file size becomes too great :(.

NDWS II.png

The font? Nope sorry :(.

How would one do this in Paint? I don't have GIMP, it's not one of those free ones is it?

How would you texture though to make the newer writing look newer?

Exactly, and you can adjust the brightness/contrast to help bring out text.

This is my quick attempt, it would be bigger but the file size becomes too great :(.

Sweet! That's awesome, you know you can post images bigger than the limit using imgur, right?

Crossposting from the map contest

Interesting: and you say this is going to be a whole setting/TL?

(BTW, this line "A world just like our timeline, but different still; where technological advances walk side-by-side with the misery of a Nigerian slum child" makes me think "and this is different from OTL how?" :) )

Bruce

Crossposting from the map contest:

TIMELINE – 141034 Cold War: Part One - Focus on Kenya by Zauberfloete

It is the year 2022. The United States have just landed a man on Mars, marking the biggest leap of mankind’s technological prowess; the Soviet Union is nearing its one-hundredth anniversary and in Kenya President Obama fights a grueling war against the Islamic Insurgents in its coastal and eastern provinces. Supported by the US, Kenyan forces are beginning to make inroads into rebel held areas, after nearly two decades of stalemate.

Now the tide turns and the Islamists are getting desperate. Suicide attacks on civil and governmental institution are increasing, as the Kenyan army brutally retaliates against suspected and real terrorists. President Obama and his people are on the verge of total victory though how high the cost…

This is part of an Alternate World, a world which is still locked in a Cold war between the United States of America and the Soviet Union, a world where man didn’t retreated from space with moon bases dotting the lunar landscape and where man walks on Mars. An alternate timeline were beside the Cold War there rages numerous conflicts, a bloody War on Drugs in Mexico, Islamists insurgency on the Arabian Peninsula, ethnic cleansing in Africa and others. And China, a China where the third “Gang of Four” lives to the dogma of Chairman Mao.

A world just like our timeline, but different still; where technological advances walk side-by-side with the misery of a Nigerian slum child and where capitalism rules, bolshevism stagnates and Mao bloodies.

A grim world, an advanced world, a corrupt, a naïve, an ideological, a multicultural, a religious, a militaristic, a communist, a democratic World. Watch out for the differences…

First the smaller version:
And the larger version:

This is awesome! I'd be very interested in a map of the larger world. Who is the US President? Someone OTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.