Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
carthaginianempire.png

Well, this is a map of an alternative development of Carthage. Rome has lose the war with Hannibal and now is under the rule of Carthage. The year is 117. Gaul is not conquered, Macedonians and Persians are still streng. Britain is not the first island attacked by punics but is the Ibernia (our irleand). The Emperor Alexander Hannibal Imilcone III and his dominion. Simple map.

Thanks, folks. Sorry if I was a bit bathetic there: it's not so much that I mind if you don't like the map, Todyo1798, but the comment about it being more like my early ones...I occasionally revisit my early maps and wince at their unsightly bits. :)

@B_Munro - this may be really presumptuous, but could you do your take on one of my maps, as you did with The Irish Empire and others?

Well, sure, but your maps are so professional-looking that I couldn't ever improve on them...are you thinking I could expand a regional map into a world map or create a future scenario?

Bruce

Highlander

Banned
Well, sure, but your maps are so professional-looking that I couldn't ever improve on them...are you thinking I could expand a regional map into a world map or create a future scenario?

I had meant your latter two points, yes. Often times my maps only have a brief description and could use expanding. I was thinking too maybe we could do a trade, where I could do a take on one of yours too?

Please please please though don't neglect making your original maps while doing "covers" though.

Since several other people have thrown in their ideas for a 2010 Decades of Darkness, here's mine:

mydod2011.png

And the key
dodlabels.png

On the *US:
Its current situation is the result of several long term trends, and now its superpower status is only propped up by its vast military. a) The under investment in education and the cheapening of labour from slave workers and automation led to a class of whites in abject poverty and a lot of angry young men, with the traditional path of settling new lands being undercut by corporate and planter concerns buying up all the land and the dangers of the locals. b) Trying to keep a vast class of bonded labour in control, whilst at the same time providing them skills to operate at an above subsistence level and keeping the proliferating media out of their hands. c) the 'Dutch disease' of raw material extraction boosting the currency and taking talent out of manufacturing and d) a refusal by the elite (who controlled an increasing proportion of the wealth) to raise or part with taxes. Oil revenues propped things up for a long time, but eventually came to a head in the seventies with the collapse of Portugal; expansionists embroiled America in a conflict a hundred times more intractable than OTL Vietnam or the ATL Brazilian civil war (invading the ever irritating Brazil as a side show). Measures to gain control escalated and escalated eventual culminating in the Presidential authorisation of weapons of mass destruction which lead to the global embargo and fiscal collapse. In the eighties a new Administration pulled out of everywhere (up to an including Brazil) and imposed harsh measures of social control on the lower orders.

More description later...

Since several other people have thrown in their ideas for a 2010 Decades of Darkness, here's mine:

And the key

On the *US:
Its current situation is the result of several long term trends, and now its superpower status is only propped up by its vast military. a) The under investment in education and the cheapening of labour from slave workers and automation led to a class of whites in abject poverty and a lot of angry young men, with the traditional path of settling new lands being undercut by corporate and planter concerns buying up all the land and the dangers of the locals. b) Trying to keep a vast class of bonded labour in control, whilst at the same time providing them skills to operate at an above subsistence level and keeping the proliferating media out of their hands. c) the 'Dutch disease' of raw material extraction boosting the currency and taking talent out of manufacturing and d) a refusal by the elite (who controlled an increasing proportion of the wealth) to raise or part with taxes. Oil revenues propped things up for a long time, but eventually came to a head in the seventies with the collapse of Portugal; expansionists embroiled America in a conflict a hundred times more intractable than OTL Vietnam or the ATL Brazilian civil war (invading the ever irritating Brazil as a side show). Measures to gain control escalated and escalated eventual culminating in the Presidential authorisation of weapons of mass destruction which lead to the global embargo and fiscal collapse. In the eighties a new Administration pulled out of everywhere (up to an including Brazil) and imposed harsh measures of social control on the lower orders.

Nice! But isn't US Allies only the Nephite Free State?

The Irish wanks, Galaxy map, and the DoD map are making me very happy :D

The DoD one should also go in the main DoD thread. :)

I had meant your latter two points, yes. Often times my maps only have a brief description and could use expanding. I was thinking too maybe we could do a trade, where I could do a take on one of yours too?.

That would be interesting. Which map or maps did you have in mind? (For your project, feel free to pick anything at my deviantart site that touches your fancy).

Please please please though don't neglect making your original maps while doing "covers" though.

No fear...

Bruce

Pretty cool ... I imagine "communism" is something a bit different from the OTL version. (But if the Americans found Africa intractable, one wonders how the Russians are finding Arabia and Iran....)

Bruce

Coolness. I see a few of my ideas may have inspired you ;). However, I'd think that Brazil would simply re-assert its old provinces rather than create new ones from annexing the Empire of Equador.

Anyway, I might as well post an updated version of mine, with a few minor additions:

MyDoD (2011).png

Status
Not open for further replies.