Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems a tad weird, would it not be much easier for Luxembourg to be ceded to France. While Batavia would just get the Bischopric of Liege? Which is more Dutch/Belgian/Batavian than Luxembourg. But then again I haven't read your TL so the situation could be completely different.

Its mostly political. France has divided Batavia into two chunks, and so Batavia has to keep on France's good side if it wants to maintain its territorial integrity.

If anything, colonization in SE Asia is well _ahead_ of schedule.

Thats because of the Anglo-Batavian Great Game which has accelerated interest in the region. Of course, most of the 'gaming' is through native subsidiaries because of tropical diseases.

What are all those lighter-colored blobs in British America? Native American protectorates, mayhaps?

Bang on target. Result of the compromise with the American colonies. They would still be allowed to expand west, but native protectorates would be set up to try and maintain the peace with the natives.

Why so skinny, Tibet?

This is just ignorance on my part. I will get round to changing that, and other things besides.

No Third Partition of Poland? Why?

The French and Batavians helped the Polish fight the Prusso-Austro-Russian Alliance, and managed to secure an independent Poland with its new Constitution. Is sort of like this world's America, because its Constitution is the basis of many imitators.

And why is Russia doing so much worse than OTL vs. the Ottomans?

Again, I haven't got round to changing things here, and I honestly just didn't think about it. But since its failure against Poland, Russia has developed a much greater interest in the East than Europe, as can be seen in the much larger Alaska.

Bruce

That should be everything. Anything else?

Here's my attempt to guess what Jared's Decades of Darkness will look like by 1970 or 1980. (I doubt it is totally accurate though :eek:)

You did a fantastic job on this, man...........tbh, though, I kinda doubt that the U.S. will still be able to hold on to those South American territories; hell, the U.S. may not even exist at all in 1980. :p

(P.S. I also liked how you merged New England with Canada. Very cool and original concept as far as DoD fan maps go. :D)

Awsome map Horatius! But the title is wrong translated, it should be: "Kaart Van de Provinciën van Kalifornië - Bestuurlijke Indeling en Demografische Gegevens" and there are some other tiny mistakes. Google Translator pretty much sucks. :D Whatever that is some damm cool piece of artwork! And it makes Holland stronger! :cool:

You did a fantastic job on this, man...........tbh, though, I kinda doubt that the U.S. will still be able to hold on to those South American territories; hell, the U.S. may not even exist at all in 1980. :p

(P.S. I also liked how you merged New England with Canada. Very cool and original concept as far as DoD fan maps go. :D)

Well the US is stagnating and going to fall soon, just nothing you can show on a map.

Hi people! I'm new in here! Here's my entry to the MotF, all comments would be appreciated!

~

I was trying some new map fancy stuff, so... That's my entry:

In this TL the Dutch Independence War is longer and they manage to absorve much more of the Spanish Empire. This stronger Netherlands captures the Philippines and explores the Pacific Ocean much earlier than in OTL. A strategical colony was established in Concordia Bay (OTL's San Francisco Bay), named in honor of the Republic's motto: "Concordia res parvae crescunt" - In unity small things grow.

The initial goal was to be a VOC's base to smuggle gold from New Spain, but it changes with the persecution of the Christians in Japan and the Dutch permission to settle the persecuted in the new colony, what pleased the Japanese rulers. In this TL the Christians were never expelled from Japan, but were often maginalized and attacked, like the Jewish Pogroms.

So, the constant migration of persecuted Christians, including radical reformers from Europe (Anabaptists) and Asian Christians, from China to the Malay Archipelago, made a vibrant self-sustained and semi-autonomous colony spreading from the Japanese-based Christiania River colony (OTL's Columbia River) to the European-based colony of New Utretch (OTL's Los Angeles).
By the late 1700's gold was found in the Wiesen River Valley (OTL's Sacramento Valley) and European immigration bommed. The newly acquired profitability of the colony led also to the development of commercialy valuable orchards with Malay labor in the New Utrech Area.

In the turn of the century, with the bankrupcy of the VOC, California was made a regular province of the Dutch Republic, with full political rights to the Asians, that were a half of the Province population.

By that time the Dutch got involved in the Mexican Independence War, Granting to Kalifornia the northern part of the Kalifornian Peninsula and the territory by the Tizon River (OTL's Colorado River). A possible new source of conflict will be the land north of the Christiania River as the Dutch, British, Russian and Louisianan are all establishing Fortresses and Trading Posts in the same area.

As you can see, the map is in Dutch. I'm sorry if I made some mistakes, my Dutch is as good as Google Translator allows me. I assume that most people in here are not Dutch-speakers, so let me translate the map and comment it a little bit. (By the way, California in Dutch is written with a C, but I thought it looked so much cooler with a K... It's a divergent Dutch then! :p)

" Map of the Province of Kalifornia - The Political Divisions and Human Data - 1857 "

" Ethnic Distribution in Kalifornia "
" Dutch " - That includes not only the Dutch but most of the European settlers, including German Anabaptists, French Huguenots, Scottish Reformed, etc.
" Japanese " - Also not only the Japanese but all Christian Asians settlers. Catholics from the Malay Peninsula, the Philippines and China, mostly assimilated in the Japanese-Kalifornian culture. The majority are nominaly Catholic but with some sincretic beliefs (What makes them hate the Spanish missionaries just as much as the Dutch).
" Mahommedans " - Muslims. Mostly indentured servants from Java working in the plantations of New Utretch and also some Indian herdsmen by the Desert, settled there to counter Indian raids. Unlike the Japanese, they're mostly maginalized in Kalifornian society.
" Spanish " - Like OTL. Spaniards and mestizos living in areas that were part of New Spain until the Mexican Independence.
" Indian " - Native Americans. Nothing much to say.

"Verklaring der Kaart " - Explanation of the Map
"Hoofdplaats" - Capital City
"Grootstse Nederzetting" - Large City
"Belangrijkste Spoorwegen" - Principal Railways
"Belangrijkste Schip Routes" - Principal Ship Routes
"Fortificatie" - Fortifications
"Grote Rivieren" - Great Rivers
"Departamenten" - Departaments (The divisions of the Province)
"Landen" - Countries
"Aangetrokken ... " - Made by the Geographical Society in the Hague

I'll give some information about the names too, mostly in Dutch:
"Desjima" - Japanese Port; "Sankijago" - Corruption of Santiago; "Amakusa" - Japanese Christian Martyr; "Tasmania" - Tasman, the Dutch Navigator;
"Hakandorp" - Hakka Village; "Larantuka" - City in Flores Is.;
"Zoutmeer" - Salt Lake; "Woestijndorp" - Desert Village in Dutch; "Pruisicheveld" - Prussian (Anabaptists) Fields;
"Wiesendal" - Valley of the Wiesen (River); "Simabara" - Japanese town; Random Dutch names;
"Neder-Kalifornië" - Lower Kalifornia;

The map:
Great map, Horatius.:cool:

Awesome Dutch gold rush

It really is awesome tough there are some Dutch spelling errors, like "Aangetrokken door het..." means Attracted by in the sense of love, its actual translation should be "Gemaakt door het..." while "Uitgegeven door het..." sounds much more 19th century Dutch. Same with Koninkrijk van Mexico, just leave the "van"s (in any Dutch name of a country). We just say Koninkrijk Mexico, Kingdom Mexico.
If you also want the other errors + fixes too, PM me then. So that I dont start any extra work now if you dont want ;-).

Jokerang

Banned
First Map i've made in ages, and I hope to make this into a map series.

Reading Julius Caeser in class gave me this idea, a cookine to the person who can guess the POD and the two new countries in the Med. Year is 40 BC.

BCE%2044.png

Status
Not open for further replies.