Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
My entry for MOTF 46

Vice-Reino de Novo Portugal:

Portugal colonizes the Maritime provinces of Canada instead of other countries doing that. One part, Novo Bristol, was first settled by England, but was traded later to Portugal. In 1925 the Viceroyalty is still part of Portugal, but it has already a lot of autonomy.

u.png

u.png

My entry for MOTF 46

Vice-Reino de Novo Portugal:

Portugal colonizes the Maritime provinces of Canada instead of other countries doing that. One part, Novo Bristol, was first settled by England, but was traded later to Portugal. In 1925 the Viceroyalty is still part of Portugal, but it has already a lot of autonomy.

That's actually a really nice map. If you make it a little bit more fancy, it'll win. :cool:

Here's my attempt to guess what Jared's Decades of Darkness will look like by 1970 or 1980. (I doubt it is totally accurate though :eek:)

finalwars.png

a map of the world, but with the addition of Meropis, a fictional island landmass from a fantasy book that i'm writing. the basic history of Meropis is that it was (re)discovered by Viking sailors who were returning from a failed attempt at colonizing Vinland around 1000 AD. they stumbled across the island's northernmost shores, mistaking it for a wintertime Ireland, but realized that it was an entirely new landmass after docking at the real Ireland.

there was a brief rush by the Europeans to colonize Meropis over a period of about a hundred years, but the island largely dropped out of importance to Europe because the natural resources there were nothing special. as a result, the European monarchies which originally began the settlements stopped caring, which allowed new countries to form in Meropis: East Kingdom, West Kingdom, South Kingdom, North Kingdom, Kalalit, and Lanthano (the official names of the four main kingdoms would more than likely be "South Kingdom of Meropis", etc). the southernmost kingdom, Lanthano, was formed when several non-human races were pushed out of the more northerly regions by humans.

the island itself has a relatively unique but totally ASB ecosystem and environments: the northern region is Norse-like and cold, the west is a giant desert while to the immediate east of it is a huge forest, the mid-south is arid plains, and the far-south is more temperate. its bestiary is comprised of animals which could only have been placed there by divine intervention, among them wolves, bears, deer, relict sabertooth cats, and even dragons

Map - World with Meropis.png

Map of the world in 1850 in my TL. I was hoping someone could look it over, and tell me if I need to speed up colonisation in some places, and if at all possible, edit it so that there aren't so many blocks of black pixels. I don't really have the time to go over it painstakingly myself.

I used the colour for Aragon in the Empire of New Spain, and I used the Belgian colour for Batavia. I also used the CSA butternut for the USA, and the TL191 US colour for Greater Britain.

inthenameofthekingworldmap.png

Map of the world in 1850 in my TL. I was hoping someone could look it over, and tell me if I need to speed up colonisation in some places, and if at all possible, edit it so that there aren't so many blocks of black pixels. I don't really have the time to go over it painstakingly myself.

I used the colour for Aragon in the Empire of New Spain, and I used the Belgian colour for Batavia. I also used the CSA butternut for the USA, and the TL191 US colour for Greater Britain.

Why is France splitting Luxemburg from the rest of the Netherlands with some crazy straight line of land?

Why is France splitting Luxemburg from the rest of the Netherlands with some crazy straight line of land?

The Austrian Netherlands burst into Revolution during the Enlightenment Wars at the start of the 19th century. France helped Batavia annex Luxembourg in return for ceding them the Bishopric that separates them. It wasn't unknown for large enclaves/exclaves to exist, and France and Batavia are relatively close, so the status quo has remained the same.

The Austrian Netherlands burst into Revolution during the Enlightenment Wars at the start of the 19th century. France helped Batavia annex Luxembourg in return for ceding them the Bishopric that separates them. It wasn't unknown for large enclaves/exclaves to exist, and France and Batavia are relatively close, so the status quo has remained the same.

That seems a tad weird, would it not be much easier for Luxembourg to be ceded to France. While Batavia would just get the Bischopric of Liege? Which is more Dutch/Belgian/Batavian than Luxembourg. But then again I haven't read your TL so the situation could be completely different.

Map of the world in 1850 in my TL. I was hoping someone could look it over, and tell me if I need to speed up colonisation in some places, and if at all possible, edit it so that there aren't so many blocks of black pixels. .

If anything, colonization in SE Asia is well _ahead_ of schedule.

What are all those lighter-colored blobs in British America? Native American protectorates, mayhaps?

Why so skinny, Tibet?

No Third Partition of Poland? Why?

And why is Russia doing so much worse than OTL vs. the Ottomans?

Bruce

Hi people! I'm new in here! Here's my entry to the MotF, all comments would be appreciated!

~

I was trying some new map fancy stuff, so... That's my entry:

In this TL the Dutch Independence War is longer and they manage to absorve much more of the Spanish Empire. This stronger Netherlands captures the Philippines and explores the Pacific Ocean much earlier than in OTL. A strategical colony was established in Concordia Bay (OTL's San Francisco Bay), named in honor of the Republic's motto: "Concordia res parvae crescunt" - In unity small things grow.

The initial goal was to be a VOC's base to smuggle gold from New Spain, but it changes with the persecution of the Christians in Japan and the Dutch permission to settle the persecuted in the new colony, what pleased the Japanese rulers. In this TL the Christians were never expelled from Japan, but were often maginalized and attacked, like the Jewish Pogroms.

So, the constant migration of persecuted Christians, including radical reformers from Europe (Anabaptists) and Asian Christians, from China to the Malay Archipelago, made a vibrant self-sustained and semi-autonomous colony spreading from the Japanese-based Christiania River colony (OTL's Columbia River) to the European-based colony of New Utretch (OTL's Los Angeles).
By the late 1700's gold was found in the Wiesen River Valley (OTL's Sacramento Valley) and European immigration bommed. The newly acquired profitability of the colony led also to the development of commercialy valuable orchards with Malay labor in the New Utrech Area.

In the turn of the century, with the bankrupcy of the VOC, California was made a regular province of the Dutch Republic, with full political rights to the Asians, that were a half of the Province population.

By that time the Dutch got involved in the Mexican Independence War, Granting to Kalifornia the northern part of the Kalifornian Peninsula and the territory by the Tizon River (OTL's Colorado River). A possible new source of conflict will be the land north of the Christiania River as the Dutch, British, Russian and Louisianan are all establishing Fortresses and Trading Posts in the same area.

As you can see, the map is in Dutch. I'm sorry if I made some mistakes, my Dutch is as good as Google Translator allows me. I assume that most people in here are not Dutch-speakers, so let me translate the map and comment it a little bit. (By the way, California in Dutch is written with a C, but I thought it looked so much cooler with a K... It's a divergent Dutch then! :p)

" Map of the Province of Kalifornia - The Political Divisions and Human Data - 1857 "

" Ethnic Distribution in Kalifornia "
" Dutch " - That includes not only the Dutch but most of the European settlers, including German Anabaptists, French Huguenots, Scottish Reformed, etc.
" Japanese " - Also not only the Japanese but all Christian Asians settlers. Catholics from the Malay Peninsula, the Philippines and China, mostly assimilated in the Japanese-Kalifornian culture. The majority are nominaly Catholic but with some sincretic beliefs (What makes them hate the Spanish missionaries just as much as the Dutch).
" Mahommedans " - Muslims. Mostly indentured servants from Java working in the plantations of New Utretch and also some Indian herdsmen by the Desert, settled there to counter Indian raids. Unlike the Japanese, they're mostly maginalized in Kalifornian society.
" Spanish " - Like OTL. Spaniards and mestizos living in areas that were part of New Spain until the Mexican Independence.
" Indian " - Native Americans. Nothing much to say.

"Verklaring der Kaart " - Explanation of the Map
"Hoofdplaats" - Capital City
"Grootstse Nederzetting" - Large City
"Belangrijkste Spoorwegen" - Principal Railways
"Belangrijkste Schip Routes" - Principal Ship Routes
"Fortificatie" - Fortifications
"Grote Rivieren" - Great Rivers
"Departamenten" - Departaments (The divisions of the Province)
"Landen" - Countries
"Aangetrokken ... " - Made by the Geographical Society in the Hague

I'll give some information about the names too, mostly in Dutch:
"Desjima" - Japanese Port; "Sankijago" - Corruption of Santiago; "Amakusa" - Japanese Christian Martyr; "Tasmania" - Tasman, the Dutch Navigator;
"Hakandorp" - Hakka Village; "Larantuka" - City in Flores Is.;
"Zoutmeer" - Salt Lake; "Woestijndorp" - Desert Village in Dutch; "Pruisicheveld" - Prussian (Anabaptists) Fields;
"Wiesendal" - Valley of the Wiesen (River); "Simabara" - Japanese town; Random Dutch names;
"Neder-Kalifornië" - Lower Kalifornia;

The map:

californiafimcpia.png

Status
Not open for further replies.