Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long Live Straight Lines! Perhaps it could be called straight pride? :confused:
Yeah, I'm just too lazy to get an up-to-date map and spend an hour or two coloring in all those small islands around Norway, so I just drew up a few lines.

I also put all the maps together with MovieMaker and have a movie of it just under a minute in length.

1986, week 40:
New Soviet government sues for terms.
Warsaw Pact disbanded.
Poland, Finland, Albania and the Baltic States occupied by NATO.
Most former WP members form a non-alignment movement along with Switzerland and Austria.
Turkey withdraws from NATO, claiming the Americans failed to protect them, and joins the NAM.

Thus ends this series of maps.
I expected Russian winter.

That's the OTL Eastern boundary at the end of WWI, including Wilno. Unless that's your point.

In short, no. The border which is also the current eastern border of Lithuania was established as a border of the newly incorporated Lithuanian SSR at around 1941 (I forget the exact dates). In the interwar, Vilnius was occupied by Poland, whereas the de jure border between Lithuania and USSR, ratified in 1920, included somewhat more than the current Lithuania - most notably Gardin/Hrodna. The current border (much like the demarcation line in the interwar and the 1920 official border) is only marginally based on some terrain features (rivers), but mostly random. Thus using it as a border with a PoD before, say, 1939, is about as ASB (if to a lesser geographical scale) as using the Kazakh border with a PoD before 1918.

1986, week 40:
New Soviet government sues for terms.
Warsaw Pact disbanded.
Poland, Finland, Albania and the Baltic States occupied by NATO.
Most former WP members form a non-alignment movement along with Switzerland and Austria.
Turkey withdraws from NATO, claiming the Americans failed to protect them, and joins the NAM.

Thus ends this series of maps.

Aww, I wanted it to continue FOREVER!! But seriously, I love the idea of a series of maps like that, and you did it very well. Props. I am now trying to think of another place a similar map series could be done.

Susano

Banned
Krall, when are you going to realise that you don't own the Map Thread?

If I want to make a map, I have just as much right to make one as anyone else, I enjoyed making that map, as I'm sure Orel and Beedok enjoyed making theirs. I don't have the time, skill or inclination to make anything grander. I'm not your map bitch. I'll make maps that I want to make and I'll spend as much time as I like making them, whether that be hours, minutes or days.

Furthermore, I'll start any meme or fad I want, if people want to copy it, they can. It shows that it's a popular idea. I don't like you calling my map "badly thought out" or "aesthetically unappealing", who the hell are you? Marco Polo? And these "two types" of map are a figment of your imagination (anything can happen in imagination land - you'll see shortly), there are lots of types of maps, I'd've thought as a self-proclaimed expert you'd have realised that.

My map, and Orel's before me, obviously pleased people that didn't want to spend ages looking at a map. Personally I like The Kiat's series of maps because they are simple to follow and don't have an essay attached to the side. People like different things. Get over it.

In short, if you don't like my map(s), don't comment.

Regards,

Brad

:)

Brad, when are you going to realise that you don't own the Map Thread?

If I want to comment on a map, I have just as much right to do so as anyone else, I enjoyed looking through the maps posted here, as I am sure did others. I don't have the time, patience or inclination to wade through countless shoddily made spam maps. I'm not your praise bitch. I'll praise those maps I want to praise because they are good, and I will do as much criticism as I like on maps that are bad.

[...]

In short, if you don't like criticism of your maps, don't post them here

Regards,

Pascal

You know about the eraser feature in paint right? Right click NATO blue, left click light red, and right hold erase over the light red. Could of saved you a couple hours.

Brad, when are you going to realise that you don't own the Map Thread?

If I want to comment on a map, I have just as much right to do so as anyone else, I enjoyed looking through the maps posted here, as I am sure did others. I don't have the time, patience or inclination to wade through countless shoddily made spam maps. I'm not your praise bitch. I'll praise those maps I want to praise because they are good, and I will do as much criticism as I like on maps that are bad.

[...]

In short, if you don't like criticism of your maps, don't post them here

Regards,

Pascal

I don't denigrate your views, don't denigrate my maps. It's only curteous. If I think someone's baby is ugly I don't tell them, I keep it to myself.

Regards,

Brad

P.S. Pascal isn't a real name, nobody would allow themselves to live with it.

Susano

Banned
I don't denigrate your views, don't denigrate my maps. It's only curteous. If I think someone's baby is ugly I don't tell them, I keep it to myself.
The thing is that this thread expressively exists for making your maps public, and that comes with people commenting on them. If you dont like that, you dont have to stop making maps, but you will have to avoid this thread. Criticism is a function of this thread, plain and simple.

P.S. Pascal isn't a real name, nobody would allow themselves to live with it.

Is it kindergarden time or what?

For Pascal and Krall.

Danish Empire.jpg

This shows the Danish Empire and the Brittanic Empire.

EDIT: The file is kind of slightly degenerated because I didn't save it in the correct format after the first time. Who cares though?

Danish Empire.jpg

Last edited:
The thing is that this thread expressively exists for making your maps public, and that comes with people commenting on them. If you dont like that, you dont have to stop making maps, but you will have to avoid this thread. Criticism is a function of this thread, plain and simple.

Well I have a really nice antique map of the British Isles from 1840 published in Paris, it's framed and in French, nothing in this thread compares to it. I don't comment that everything else is sub-standard and request only maps that meet my personal standard to be posted in this thread, that wouldn't be right. That's what Krall asked of me. Then you came barging into something that was nothing to do with you and started being sarcastic, I don't appreciate it.

Is it kindergarden time or what?

Kindergarden? I don't speak German, but I won't mention the war.

Susano

Banned
Well I have a really nice antique map of the British Isles from 1840 published in Paris, it's framed and in French, nothing in this thread compares to it. I don't comment that everything else is sub-standard and request only maps that meet my personal standard to be posted in this thread, that wouldn't be right. That's what Krall asked of me. Then you came barging into something that was nothing to do with you and started being sarcastic, I don't appreciate it.

You know, my own maps are not exactly highlights of arts, either. Personally, I dont care greatly for the graphical effect side of things. Unless people really mess up (JPG pixelation, for example) I dont care much for the aesthetics. Thats not what its about. We really dont expect van Goghs here. So wether your nice little French map compares to maps here or not is totally irrelevant.

What we do here is simply criticisizing maps - and when you post your map here and then expect people to say no bad things about is, then yes, thats sufficient ground for sarcasm! Its like every bad stereotype about deviantart or fanfiction.net coming to AH.com.

You know, my own maps are not exactly highlights of arts, either. Personally, I dont care greatly for the graphical effect side of things. Unless people really mess up (JPG pixelation, for example) I dont care much for the aesthetics. Thats not what its about. We really dont expect van Goghs here. So wether your nice little French map compares to maps here or not is totally irrelevant.

What we do here is simply criticisizing maps - and when you post your map here and then expect people to say no bad things about is, then yes, thats sufficient ground for sarcasm! Its like every bad stereotype about deviantart or fanfiction.net coming to AH.com.

Above, Zimmerwald made a negative comment, I couldn't give a flying fuck. Krall went over the top, like he's done in the past, and like he's been kicked for.

What the hell that has to do with you, I have no idea. And I still don't get why you have to criticise? Why not just comment on the good maps? I think you might enjoy pretending you're better than other people.

If you want to pretend to be better than other people, go make a mock government and fantacise about being King. Oh, wait.....

Status
Not open for further replies.