Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Pretty nice: what's the POD, if any in particular?
Vague. Basically just playing around with 'different national coalescences'.
What's the story with the new "Roman Empire?"
More successful Justinianic conquests retook the whole of Italy for the Byzantines, but then they lost Constantinople to the Avars, with the result that the capital moved back to Rome - hence 'Rome Reborn'. A charismatic Emperor reconciled the differences between the Eastern and Western churches (still fairly minor at this point) with the result that there is only one major Christian denomination in TTL (and a bunch of minor heresies). A line of strong Emperors who exploited divisions among the Muslim states have led to a nation that feels justified in proclaiming that one day it will return to the heights of old Rome - causing worries among the other Christian states.
To-Bodd, Tibet, presumably: Hindu, Buddhist, or...?
Yes, Bod is the native name for Tibet, which in English was apparently worn down to the 'bet' in Tibet via Arabic transliteration. Started out Buddhist, now predominantly Hindu and in practice the tail wags the dog from India.
What happened to the Vietnamese?
The Kingdom of Champa is ethnically Vietnamese and took over most of Annam, with the rest under Khmer hegemony.
What is "u" in North America?
Blast, forgot to add the key for North America. Have edited the map.
One quibble: the Khazars are going to have some difficulties keeping the line of communications open through Kurdistan. Have they converted to Islam in this TL? That would help.
This represents a recent conquest stretching out from their power base north of the Black Sea - a holy war led by militant rabbis to reclaim the Holy Land for Israel while the former Caliphate tore itself apart through civil war. It's open to debate whether Khazaria will be able to hold Palestine for any realistic length of time before Egypt or Rome Reborn takes a crack at it.
Any thoughts on my latest?
Great and imaginative as always. No more coherent thoughts I'm afraid.

EDIT: I did like Spanish South Africa as the 'Viceroyalty of the Southern Cross'. Presence of USA seems a bit convergent but I assume that came from the original story you were adapting.

Last edited:
oshron said:
Have you read Feed by Mira Grant? No zombie rats (frankly, I doubt we'd survive that), but any animal over 40 pounds can become infected...

Bruce
No, never actually heard of it before. Sounds interesting though.

With the zombie rats, they are fairly low in number thanks to yet to be turned rats teaming up on and killing said threats. So while the rats fighting often got infect it still significantly reduced numbers, giving us a "chance".

oshron said:
I'm rather more fond of Detroit giving up the pointless battle and finally naming themselves correctly as the Dark City.:D
Thought it would be fitting.:D

what about san francisco? is alcatraz the last haven of non-zombified humanity?
I think I might actually do other parts of the world based off how well that map went.:)

Random other map!!!

fallin.png

(a) to be different and (b) because I forgot to put labels on the Americas first so making it Pacific-centred means they read in a vaguely alphabetical order :p

The problem with the Robinson projection almost everyone seems to be using on this forum is that the outline is missing. :(

By using a rectangular outline instead of the rounded shape the impression is created that there are sea areas where none exist. It may also suggest that you can just cut through the map vertically and rearrange the two parts. Sorry Thande, but it does not work that way.

Here is what a Robinson projection should look like, including the outline: http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/map/robinsonprojection.html

If you want more maps, look here:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/map/f4-4154.html

Finally, if you do want a map that you can cut vertically to switch the parts, why not use a Plate Carrée ('pcarree') projection? It also allows you to draw longitude and latitude lines with nice straight horizontal and vertical lines...

A cosmic event, maybe an asteroid, hits the antartic and instantly melts the ice cap. The world afterwards is a very different place, and world civilization is pushed back a couple hundred years.

Depends, the projection of that basemap is ugly and turns me off from doing more stuff with it :(

Unless you mean the effects.

What happens when it is the wee hours of the morning, you are very tired but you can't sleep? Why, a Colombia-wank, that's what!

The plot-hole ridden backstory I just came up with is that Gran Colombia stays together, due to... I dunno. And it keeps the name New Granada. Somewhere along the line it unites/takes over the Peru-Bolivia Confederation, which was also a fair bit more stable also but bankrupted itself fighting war after war. Tensions are high at present with neighbouring Argentina and Chile, but are rather good with Brasil. It purchased British Guyana for a handsome sum to resolve the lingering dispute between the UK and NG.

I think sometime in the future, when I'm not as tired, I'll come up with a good backstory, and make the map itself prettier.

New Granada.png

Status
Not open for further replies.