Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was commenting less on the scope of each polity and more on how the borders are blobbish curves that bear no relation to the geographic features of the world upon which borders are usually based, and also don't fit with sane demographic and political circumstances that could be evolved.

The only thing that makes the map ATL is the fact that Korea has expanded to basically dominate East Asia (at this point, at least). Except for the border in Manchuria, everything else remains the same.

And here's the second map.

Anwon.GIF

This is the world in 545 AD, after the death of Emperor Anwon. The Roman Empire became the Byzantine Empire, England is ruled by minor kingdoms, and the Visigoths rule in Spain. The Pala have replaced the Gupta in Northern India, but there are no border changes. The lighest shade of orange represents alliances.

Anwon.GIF

Susano

Banned
It was only after Atatürk took over that Istanbul became the preferred name, and it was only formally adopted in 1930. But then we all know what these revolutionary republics are like with misunderstanding terminology (witness Citizen Capet).

Wait, what? I always liked Citizen Capet! First the insult of "Citizen", and second the Republic finally got genealogy right, unlike French and British monarchies!

(And no, theres no such thing as the House of Hannover, either, its the Welfs!)

Nikephoros

Banned
It was only after Atatürk took over that Istanbul became the preferred name, and it was only formally adopted in 1930. But then we all know what these revolutionary republics are like with misunderstanding terminology (witness Citizen Capet).

Well, Ataturk did want his new nation to be considered a Turkish nation. Also having a war with Greece likely made him want to change to a name that people might not immediately reconize as Greek.

Okay, this is in response to Transparent Blue's map of what he thought the world looked like when he was a very small child. Seeing it reminded me of an old map I made in Kindergarten. We were assigned to make a map of the world as best as we could, label all of the countries, and put a star where we lived (in the Seattle-area). The teacher said that mine was the best in the class (which is sad really) and my mom had it on the fridge for the next few months. I dug through all of my old schoolwork (my mom saves every single school assignment that I have ever done in boxes in the attic :eek:) and I found the original crayon-drawn one. This is my best attempt to reproduce it in Paint.

little kid map.jpg

Were you like a prodigy as a child? Because this map blows my mind for a 5 year old. You have Kuwait, Czechoslovakia, Vietnam, etc. The others are sort of understandable, but that is amazing.

(One thing would make me think you were retarded though, if I saw it alone: Canada. I mean you lived like spitting distance from there.)

And I love where you put Alaska.

I enjoy that our state is/was atleast 3rd most important to you. Also Kuwait was probably a function of being in kindergarten in 91 perhaps?

I enjoy that our state is/was atleast 3rd most important to you. Also Kuwait was probably a function of being in kindergarten in 91 perhaps?

Yeah, my grandparents lived in Illinois. For some reason I thought it was a separate country. I was in kindergarten in 96 actually, see below for an explanation of Kuwait.

Were you like a prodigy as a child? Because this map blows my mind for a 5 year old. You have Kuwait, Czechoslovakia, Vietnam, etc. The others are sort of understandable, but that is amazing.

(One thing would make me think you were retarded though, if I saw it alone: Canada. I mean you lived like spitting distance from there.)

And I love where you put Alaska.

Well, I always got straight-A's (and still do), but I probably wasn't a prodigy. I only knew about Kuwait because when my parents told me stories about when I was born, they always mentioned that when Mom was pregnant they were scared Dad would get called up to go there (he was in the Reserves at the time, and I was born in June 1991). As it turns out he didn't end up going. I knew Czechoslovakia because my grandma always talked about how her ancestors came from there and they were always mistreated by th Germans. So I just stuck it on the map near Germany. I'm not sure where I got Vietnam from though.

Yeah, the placement of Canada made me chuckle too. At that time I figured that if I had never been there it must be far away (but not too far away, because I knew people who had been there).

And the Alaska thing was probably a common error on our maps (I don't recall ever seeing anybody else's). That's where they always put Alaska and Hawaii on maps of the US: in little boxes in the Southwest corner. :D

South Korea is sandwitched between North Korea and Vietnam, and has half it shore blocked China. :eek:

If GMB saw that he'd have a heart attack.

Yeah, my grandparents lived in Illinois. For some reason I thought it was a separate country. I was in kindergarten in 96 actually, see below for an explanation of Kuwait.

Well, I always got straight-A's (and still do), but I probably wasn't a prodigy. I only knew about Kuwait because when my parents told me stories about when I was born, they always mentioned that when Mom was pregnant they were scared Dad would get called up to go there (he was in the Reserves at the time, and I was born in June 1991). As it turns out he didn't end up going. I knew Czechoslovakia because my grandma always talked about how her ancestors came from there and they were always mistreated by th Germans. So I just stuck it on the map near Germany. I'm not sure where I got Vietnam from though.

Yeah, the placement of Canada made me chuckle too. At that time I figured that if I had never been there it must be far away (but not too far away, because I knew people who had been there).

And the Alaska thing was probably a common error on our maps (I don't recall ever seeing anybody else's). That's where they always put Alaska and Hawaii on maps of the US: in little boxes in the Southwest corner. :D

Ah, similer story to me, I was March of 91.

Hey guys, didn't someone make a Kaiserreich 1936 map recently, I'm trying to find it.

There's this map by Winner of Kaiserreich Europe, which is the 'official' map for the project (see here, although some parts of it seem to have changed since the early betas). Saladan also made two possible maps for Africa which can be seen here (the second being most accurate to the final product). I had a search around earlier before doing a UCS version for Thande's ATL Map Database, but couldn't find anything else.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I've got this map of Canada from when I was about 8; the outline was traced, I'm not a superspecial person. Note that I seemed to have got US states mixed up with Canadian provinces, and this was before Nunavut was invented.

ME A2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.