Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be on a map-making tear of late: I've got some 4 or so in the works. I've been mining the alternate history travel guides Yahoo group, and keep coming up with stuff to map...oy.

Well, this is a world in which, thanks to some early victories over the Caliphate and the conversion of a very successful Turkish Khan to Judaism, the Khazar Khanate survived and indeed eventually expanded. It persists to this day, along with the also Jewish and closely allied Kwarziam in central Asia and Siberia.

The religious picture is rather different, with the Roman Consortium (a democratic successor to the Byzantine Empire) ruling Anatolia and the Levant, Shi’a Persia and most of North Africa (Sunni Islam is in this world very much the lesser branch of Islam), the Yucatan and central America following an odd mix of Judaism and native faiths, Catholic Mediterranean Europe and roughly half of S. America (including a surviving Inca state), a “Anglican” Britain, and Central Europe following the “North Roman” Church, along with much of North America, Australia-NZ, and the other half of S. America. This is further complicated by the tolerant nature of the modern Roman/Greek and Khazar states, which include large Islamic minorities legally equal to the majority faith. (This world has the odd concept of the “Seljuk Greek.”) There are large Jewish minorities in China and SE Asia, and Korea is running about 40% Jewish nowadays.

The Horn of Africa is mostly Orthodox, and Egypt is mostly Shi’a Muslim, with a soupcon of Jews. Egypt has been ruled by a clerical regime ala Iran for almost a century and a half, although it has mellowed over time. East Africa, colonized by the Persian Caliphate, is far more developed and Islamic than OTL, and richer (the Middle East is generally first-world in this TL, and East Africa is unto Persia as Mexico is unto the United States OTL). There are several small-to-middling Slavic Orthodox states forming a buffer between the Khazars and the German New Empire (the Old Empire having been rather badly chewed up in the Pan-European War of the 1930s). The Omari Caliphate nowadays has lost control over its African possessions, but their inhabitants still recognize the spiritual leadership of the Caliph.

China is one of the three or four most important powers, and does not get along very well with the Kwarziam, with which it has very old border disputes in the Tarim Basin area. There is a largish Basque state spanning the Pyrenees, with colonies in what in our world would be Venezuela and the Guyanas. South Africa is Spanish-speaking, ethnically rather more mixed, and never had Apartheid: although many Africans only got the vote in the late 20th century, money has always whitened. Italy is squeezed between the neo-Byzantines to the east and the New North Roman Empire to the north (not to mention the French to the west). Wallachia is the southernmost “Khazarized” nation, although currently it is more closely tied politically to the Byzantines.

The Jews are divided into three major sects, one of which is the Khazari/Kwarziam version, one which has only a Diaspora, mostly in the Islamic world (and is a bit peevish about it), and a third which although still widely distributed has a (chilly) homeland (“Nova Judea”) in the Newfoundland area, which they purchased from the French in the early 19th century. The Khazars and the Kwarziam are probably the world’s most modern states, although with only about 249 million inhabitants between the two, they don’t really _dominate_ the globe. They don’t get along with the North Romans, which are anti-Semitic and rather resentful about the last war. India is politically fragmented – what with the North Romans temporarily conquering most of it, the Jews and the Muslims throwing them out, the French coming in…the place is a bit of a hodge-podge, although of late a free-trade zone covering almost all of the sub-continent has been established.

The world is divided into several loose blocks and alliances – the Khazars have long-standing friendly ties with the Caliphate and the Consortium (although the Caliphate is still a bit sniffy with the Consortium re the Holy Land) as do the French and the Incas and Spaniards – and is roughly as advanced technologically as our own world in the 1960s.

A League of Nations-type organization, the Council of Nations, exists, and since the short but nasty nuclear war in North America between the Republic of New England and the Despotism of Bormanslandt CN forces have been helping maintain order and clean up the mess, and are providing a forum for some fairly impressive efforts to bring atom arsenals under control. Most important nations (Khazaria, the Caliphate, the Roman Consortium, the Incas and the French Union, Britain and its former colonies, the recovering Despotism…) are on board, but the NNRE and the Chinese – currently under a Neo-Legalist regime – are making trouble.

Bruce

And here's the map.

Bruce

Khazar.png

Even though I probably shouldn't bother, I'll ask one more time.

Is there any other site or place where we can see you complete collection of maps a.k.a. Deviant Art or your own Website?

Also, on which Map Thread did you post your first map in this style?

The Soviet advance continues in 1979, despite their disastrous attempt to invade Britain. China's offensive is winding down as the advance technology of the allies in India is off setting China's numerical advantage.

Soviet Wank 1979.PNG

Even though I probably shouldn't bother, I'll ask one more time.

Is there any other site or place where we can see you complete collection of maps a.k.a. Deviant Art or your own Website?

Also, on which Map Thread did you post your first map in this style?

Oh, I've been putting up maps since the first map thread, and slowly developing my style. Perhaps I'll see about arranging someplace to put them - Yahoo has free website space, no?

Bruce

1980: The Soviets move into China, setting up shop and taking over China's holdings in the sub-continent. The Red Navy gained short-term dominance in the North Atlantic and have established a puppet state in Quebec. Soviet Forces have been removed from US soil. Strategic bombing campaigns against American industry is gradually wearing us down.

Soviet Wank 1980.PNG

1981: The Soviets launch Operation Red Dawn (yeah, I know, reeeaaall original :rolleyes: ), a full scale invasion of the US from the north. The Soviets are closing in on Detroit! In China, the People's Republic switches sides. The Soviets invade and the climatic Battle of Beijing is under way.

Looks like Peru is the only neutral country left. :eek:

Soviet Wank 1981.PNG

Oh, I've been putting up maps since the first map thread, and slowly developing my style. Perhaps I'll see about arranging someplace to put them - Yahoo has free website space, no?

Bruce

I think that's true for Yahoo, but a lot of the members here like Highlander have deviant art accounts to show their maps...which doesn't cost anything to set up either.

In any case, you really should set up some kind of online archieve to show your complete collections of works!

The world in 1982. The Soviets' Far Eastern Command faced a crippling loss at Beijing, while on the otherside of the world, the Battle of Detroit was a decisive American victory. An American counter-offensive threatens to cut Soviet forces in Canada of from resupply.

Soviet Wank 1982.PNG

I think Yahoo! totally shut down its hosting services, I know Geocities shut down, not sure if they still do it though.

1983: World War III rages on. Europe and Africa all almost conquered, while the Soviets were forced to withdrawl from Canada as the Americans push onward. Landings in Alaska by the Americans and Scotland by the Reds are on.

Soviet Wank 1983.PNG

I seem to be on a map-making tear of late: I've got some 4 or so in the works. I've been mining the alternate history travel guides Yahoo group, and keep coming up with stuff to map...oy.

Well, this is a world in which, thanks to some early victories over the Caliphate and the conversion of a very successful Turkish Khan to Judaism, the Khazar Khanate survived and indeed eventually expanded. It persists to this day, along with the also Jewish and closely allied Kwarziam in central Asia and Siberia.

SNIP

And here's the map.

Bruce

Awsome! Just too awesome! :cool: :D

I look forward to your future maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.