Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO "people start doing things they'd never do in real life for no reason" can be just as interesting as giant-robot-alien and wizards type of ASB.

Most published alternate histories are basically just that, and quite a few of them have pretty interesting alternate worlds.

Examples? In any event, 1. the authors aren't usually deliberately making people do stuff they neither would nor could in real life. They presumeably think their scenarios are at least vaguely consistent in a logical sense, unless they have contempt for their readers or are going for metaphor or metafiction or some such crap. 2. I like it much less than giant robot alien scenarios: I like to have my AH inhabited by humans behaving the way actual humans would. If I want to read something with people behaving in ways no actual humans would while being wanked to the max, I'll read L. Neil Smith. :p

best,
Bruce

PS-now there's an ASB map that's fun! :)

Something like that. It seems to me that my "transformation" was the reverse of that of Dr Jekyll - who found himself increasingly turning into Mr Hyde, until finally finding his transformation permanent - in that I was more like Mr Hyde, but increasing became Dr Jekyll, until becoming affable and generally logical permanently. :)

If the Honorable Gentleman's Club is anything to go by it's clearly a result of large and regular infusions of tea.:p

EDIT: That also clearly explains Stevenson's. Hyde probably needed to switch to decaf.:D

You had the unfortunate luck of posting before Tangle.

But seeing this map, I am left wondering how South America could be that cut-up and intresting looking, especially Paraguay.

South America is, I should admit straight away, not my area of expertise, so I doubt it's particularly plausible. But aesthetically at least I quite like how it turned out.

Simply put, Brazil had a rather messy breakup rather than going independent as a single state. In the end it was split five ways. In the south you had the Riograndese Republic and the Santa Catarina Republic (which eventually banded together with Uruguay in a military and economic alliance to put off their rather larger neighbours. In the north-east you have the Republic of Pernambuco (which thanks to its sensible policies of "not picking unnecessary fights with the neighbours" and "not letting the military coup any government it doesn't like" is one of South America's more stable states), and then there are the two main Brazilian successors. The main one is the Republic of Brazil, the biggest of the five and one of South America's more powerful states. In the past they were rather keen on the idea of reuniting Brazil (with themselves naturally at the helm) but this proved unfeasible and relations have grown a bit better with time. Finally in the north you have the Portuguese remnant in Para. Para's an interesting one, at this point in time it's the closest thing to a dominion outside the British Empire. While theoretically Lisbon calls the shots in practice Para is more or less independent. At the moment though it's not particularly democratic (the aristocracy have quite the grasp on power and aren't keen on letting go) but are slowly improving.

Argentina is one of the more powerful nations on the continent, and thanks to the lack of an off-puttingly strong neighbour to the north (TTL's Brazil is strong, but not strong enough to pick fights with Argentina willy-nilly) likes to throw its weight around once in a while. The most recent example of this is the "Alliance" Argentina had Paraguay sign. Presented as an agreement among equals it effectively subordinated Paraguay's foreign and defence policy to Argentina's (and forced Paraguay to accept "border adjustments" in the west to boot).

The other main South American powers are Bolivia, Peru and (until recently) Colombia. Colombia got in a spot of bother with Peru, Venezuela, Para and Ecuador (having border conflicts with all of your neighbours at once isn't smart) and was left on the wrong side of some border adjustments, and Panama jumped ship to boot. They're understandably peeved, but not in a fit state to do anything about it just now.

Funnily enough South America in that map is quite a bit tidier than it was in the original, since a lot of the territorial claims (specifically those involving Colombia) have been brushed aside or rectified by the peace agreement to that war.

After the patriotic coup the Royal Yugoslav Army was fully mobilized instead of partially as was the case IOTL. Along with this it is decided that the army will not be deployed on all three fronts and instead the north will be largely abandoned to concentrate protection of Serbia proper. Instead of an 11 day war the Nazi's are faced with a more protracted month and a half long battle. The Greek government sees that the fall of Yugoslavia can't be avoided and chooses to withdraw from Albania and Northern Greece to a more defensible position leading to a Greece holding against the Nazi onslaught. Hitler goes ahead with Operation Barbarossa and invades the Soviet Union even though Greece is still in the fight. Stalin is purged just has he had feared would happen OTL. This results in a diumvirate of Molotov and Beria. This leads some of the Nazi's to believe that the Soviet Union will soon tear itself appart, but it doesn't. The British use Greece as a base to launch bomber raids against Ploesti in Autumn of 1941. The Germans are in even worst shape ITTL when during the Soviet winter counter offensive. Facing fuel shortages the German war plan is forced to change or risk such massive logistical problems that the German forces might easily be rolled up by the Soviets. With Hitler unwilling to cooperate a number of German general move to kill the Nazi dictator and blame the SS. The coup is a success and Hitler is dethroned and the SS is dismantled and incorporated into the army. The Germans never get stuck in the bloodbath that is Stalingrad, but are running dangerously low on fuel. As the Germans are on the defensive in Russia, the United States and Great Britain plan on launching an invasion to liberate Northern Greece and the Balkans. The large scale presence of American and British troops leads to first Bulgaria and then Romania defecting to the allied camp. The Germans see that they are loosing allies and loosing ground and decide it is time to try and surrender. The Germans offer conditional surrender that they will withdraw to their pre-1938 borders, allow the occupation of the Rhineland by the allies until 1953, and a massive reduction in the German military. The US and Britain are thinking about taking the offer, but are unsure; the Soviet diumvirate likes the terms, but also demands that the German Communist Party be once again allowed to take part in the government and that Soviet troops occupy the East Prussia. The allies and the European Axis agree to these terms and Germany surrenders.

In the East the Empire of Japan isn't as lucky as Germany and faces an invasion of is mainland holdings by the USSR in late 1943. The USSR crushes the Japanese in China and Korea, but the Japanese Navy is able to hold off the USSR from invading. The Japanese withdraw troops from Indochina, the Philippines, and the East Indies to shore up the defense of the homeland. Hokkaido is invaded by the USSR in 1945 while the Americans invade from the South. The invasion of Japan in is a blood bath as the Japanese fight to hold off the Soviets and the Americans, but ultimately it is futile and Japan is divided between Soviet occupied North and American occupied South.

The US tests the first atomic bomb not long before the surrender of Japan. After the Second World War ended conflict erupted in the Balkans with the Romanian, Serbian, Bulgarian, and Greek Civil Wars, but with US aid the communists were defeated and the Balkans remained "free" or well as free as semi-authoritarian states can be.

Yugoslavia stalls and Greece Holds 1950.png

The World in 2060:

The World is still reeling from a deadly string of conflicts in the middle east. All that were capped by the death of a half million people when Detroit was destroyed by a Saudi nuke planted by Islamists. Israel and Egypt faced off with tanks in the Sinai and Golan Heights during the 12 Weeks War while the conflict idled at the edge of nuclear holocaust. The old Saudi regime was knocked from power once the oil ran out and its nuclear arsenal was scattered to the ends of the earth. In Persia and Pakistan the Balochi insurgency is uniting traditional rivals. And even now a new conflict between Egypt and its newly formed Middle East Coalition against Persia and its allies threatens to rip apart an unstable region.

Europe is now unified under the auspices of the European Federation and is debatably the world's superpower. Yet gridlock between federalists and euroskeptics threaten to allow ethnic conflict in the Balkans to grow out of control. Russia has stabilized after several regime changes, and currently is experiencing a boom. Yet it is still a third-rate power and it is uncertain how long it can maintain growth with its longstanding conflicts.

Africa is still struggling through the postcolonial era. East Africa has unified and is a beacon of progress to the rest of the continent. But the Congo is a morass of ethnic conflict, many states in Central Africa have objectively failed, and perhaps worse of all; South Africa has all but fallen apart into ethnic and economic conflict. West Africa is a mixed bag. Nations are dominated by continued political corruption, foreign corporations, and criminal organizations. But a select group of nations led by Nigeria have experienced tremendous progress and have promise to make the region a economic powerhouse.

The Americas have remained relatively peaceful. America though no longer the supreme power in the world has remained prominent. But in the aftermath of Detroit things have begun to deteriorate. The government had become authoritarian and is increasingly utterly dominated by corporations. Criminal syndicates and gangs control the cities. Militias and domestic terrorism is increasingly out of control. Mexico and Brazil have boomed in the 21st century and are considered to have bright futures.

East Asia is the industrial and cultural hotspot of the world. The dual powers of India and China dominate the continent though nations such as Korea, Japan, Indonesia, and Pakistan are important and independent players. Though currently peaceful there have been several bloody border skirmishs and undercurrents of tension between nuclear armed states. The focus is currently on Southeast Asia and Central Asia where the great powers are vying for dominance and influence. But the other conflicts of the region cannot be neglected. The Naxalite and Bengal insurgencies are a perennial problem for India along with its longstanding Kashmir conflict. China continues to face resistance to its totalitarian regime. The East has bloomed though it is uncertain how far it rise.

As this is my freshman map making effort I am totally open to advice both on content and on visuals. Any and all feedback is appreciated. :D

world_ant.png

China would not control Taiwan, aside form the fact what happened to America would cause them to suffer a major economic emergency, the only way for them to take Taiwan is by force, and Taiwan would make sure it decimated as much of Southern China (the heartland of China's economy) as it could before being overrun.

The World in 2060:

The World is still reeling from a deadly string of conflicts in the middle east. All that were capped by the death of a half million people when Detroit was destroyed by a Saudi nuke planted by Islamists. Israel and Egypt faced off with tanks in the Sinai and Golan Heights during the 12 Weeks War while the conflict idled at the edge of nuclear holocaust. The old Saudi regime was knocked from power once the oil ran out and its nuclear arsenal was scattered to the ends of the earth. In Persia and Pakistan the Balochi insurgency is uniting traditional rivals. And even now a new conflict between Egypt and its newly formed Middle East Coalition against Persia and its allies threatens to rip apart an unstable region.

Europe is now unified under the auspices of the European Federation and is debatably the world's superpower. Yet gridlock between federalists and euroskeptics threaten to allow ethnic conflict in the Balkans to grow out of control. Russia has stabilized after several regime changes, and currently is experiencing a boom. Yet it is still a third-rate power and it is uncertain how long it can maintain growth with its longstanding conflicts.

Africa is still struggling through the postcolonial era. East Africa has unified and is a beacon of progress to the rest of the continent. But the Congo is a morass of ethnic conflict, many states in Central Africa have objectively failed, and perhaps worse of all; South Africa has all but fallen apart into ethnic and economic conflict. West Africa is a mixed bag. Nations are dominated by continued political corruption, foreign corporations, and criminal organizations. But a select group of nations led by Nigeria have experienced tremendous progress and have promise to make the region a economic powerhouse.

The Americas have remained relatively peaceful. America though no longer the supreme power in the world has remained prominent. But in the aftermath of Detroit things have begun to deteriorate. The government had become authoritarian and is increasingly utterly dominated by corporations. Criminal syndicates and gangs control the cities. Militias and domestic terrorism is increasingly out of control. Mexico and Brazil have boomed in the 21st century and are considered to have bright futures.

East Asia is the industrial and cultural hotspot of the world. The dual powers of India and China dominate the continent though nations such as Korea, Japan, Indonesia, and Pakistan are important and independent players. Though currently peaceful there have been several bloody border skirmishs and undercurrents of tension between nuclear armed states. The focus is currently on Southeast Asia and Central Asia where the great powers are vying for dominance and influence. But the other conflicts of the region cannot be neglected. The Naxalite and Bengal insurgencies are a perennial problem for India along with its longstanding Kashmir conflict. China continues to face resistance to its totalitarian regime. The East has bloomed though it is uncertain how far it rise.

As this is my freshman map making effort I am totally open to advice both on content and on visuals. Any and all feedback is appreciated. :D
If the Bengalese don't want to join predicted population of 223,000,000 people with India I do not see why the Indians would push the point. Heck, they would have doubled their Muslim population in one moment short moment, giving Islamic parties a huge opportunity to make or break any coalition. Strange how Indonesia got to take Singapore, though.

I am the real Krall - I just stopped relying on emotion so much and starting understanding the world through logic. Heck, I've been a polite gentlemanly type since about 2009; I honestly can't remember the last time I berated someone for their poor map-making skills!

The first thing I remembered when I read this was, of course, this post.

China would not control Taiwan, aside form the fact what happened to America would cause them to suffer a major economic emergency, the only way for them to take Taiwan is by force, and Taiwan would make sure it decimated as much of Southern China (the heartland of China's economy) as it could before being overrun.

Even in 60 years the two couldn't reconcile? I'm no expert but couldn't they be brought into the PRC under some Hong Kong style system?

How did Sudan manage to reunite?

They didn't. The whole thing collapsed into a heap of ethnic and religious violence. They are together to indicate a single zone of ongoing conflict, not a unified or functioning nation.

If the Bengalese don't want to join predicted population of 223,000,000 people with India I do not see why the Indians would push the point. Heck, they would have doubled their Muslim population in one moment short moment, giving Islamic parties a huge opportunity to make or break any coalition. Strange how Indonesia got to take Singapore, though.

I saw Bangladesh as collapsing due to a combination of global warming, famine, and a few powerful cyclones. India moves in to secure the power vacuum. I honestly wasn't aware of the huge demographic consequences it'd have. Though I like the complications that raises for India. And though it is hard to see with the colour scheme. (Which needs adjusting.) Singapore is actually an independent ally of Indonesia, as is Johor.

Status
Not open for further replies.