Map thread for the most implausible TL of all - ours

Thande

Donor
Don't really have the necessary information for that, Othniel: it was hard enough getting the data for the Big Round Numbered Years. Chris S probably knows, though, as he appears to know everything. ;)

A JPEG format version of the 1925 map for Hendryk:

1925.JPG

Thande

Donor
Well, aren't the differences between 1910 and 1914 quite minor? (Ottoman Libya, a few of the spheres of influences slightly different...)

Thande said:
Well, aren't the differences between 1910 and 1914 quite minor? (Ottoman Libya, a few of the spheres of influences slightly different...)
No US troops in Nicaragua till 1912, it wasn't until 1912 that Morrocco throne was abdicated with France and Spain spliting it. Spain took the northern fifth.

There is also the Balkland Wars were a myriad of territories were gained and denounced.

Chris, re 2nd 1914 map, getting out my copy of the Penguin Atlas of Aftica History, what's modern Mauritania remains unconquered, so is Darfur in the western bulge of the Sudan, and the Italians only hod two pieces of coastline in Lybia.

Thande, re 1914 GW map, what's happened to the British teritories around the rim of Arabia?

I need a 1922 map with Poland's western border being that in place at the end of the war with the Bolsheviks, as well as Ukraine and Belarus still independent.

JHPier, I have that book as well and noticed my mistakes. I made a map, but never posted it since the thread seemed to have withered, but thanks and here is the revision.

1914-revised VIII gif.GIF

Grey Wolf said:
The problem with using a 1914 map is that there were loads of changes between 1900 and 1914, off the top of my head including :-

-1- German compensation for Morocco in Kamerun
-2- French and Spanish expansion of influence in Morocco
(did Algiers get part of Morocco too ?)
-3- Italian conquest of Libya and expansion of influence over Fezzan
-4- The Anglo-French Entente settling borders in African hot spots
-5- British conquest of the Sokoto Caliphate
-6- French conquest in Chad

Grey Wolf

Sovereignty of Congo transferred to Belgium

Thande said:
That's right, Grey Wolf, that's why I've avoided using 1914 maps as a guide - and found it difficult as everyone and their brother has a 1914 world map but no-one has a 1900 one. :(

Here's my 1914 map, then! :D

Cameroon has no common border with Belgian Congo.

Thande said:
It's really hard to get a map for any time between 1878, before the partition of Africa started, and 1914 when it was completed...hence the inaccuracies. Of course, before 1878 it's quite easy - fill in the Cape Colony, Mozambique, Morocco, Egypt, Ethiopia, the Ottoman Empire and Liberia, and that's pretty much it. :)

Here is a map from 1925: Nitpicks please?

The Jordan is British, not French

Thande said:
To bump this thread, is a 1942 map (early to mid 1942, haven't quite decided on a precise date). I've taken your advice and used a different colour to represent British dominions and protectorates as opposed to colonies and occupied. The pale blue-grey colour is Vichy France, as opposed to the blue parts which are Free French (not sure if I've got all those colonies lined up correctly).

In 1942, Free French include Chad, French Equatorial Africa (today's Congo, Centrafrica and Gabon), Syria and Lebanon, Reunion islands, Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon islands, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, the New Hebrides, and the French territories in India. Indochina is Vichy, not Japanese (though Japanese use French bases there, but there's no Japanese administration). The French East Indies and Guyana are in custody of the US. And I assume this is before November 1942, when the rest of Africa save for Madagascar joined the Free French.