Map thread for the most implausible TL of all - ours

benedict XVII said:
Congo is not Belgian in 1901!

Ummm....okay, apparently you haven't noticed that these maps show control which is why even occupied countries are coloured with the same colour as the occupier, so calm down. Whilst in a perfect world we would have 10,000 ways to show this while using pixels and Microsoft Paint, in OTL we can't. Besides, what is the difference between Congo sharing the same head of state as Belgium and being treated as a personal fief of Leopold II and Congo being Belgian? And how are we going to show the relationship of Congo and Belgium having the same head of state if not by using the same colour? Also when Belgium annexed Congo is not relevant in light of the fact that Egypt was never formally a British protectorate until 1914, but it wouldn't be accurate to colour Egypt as being solely Ottoman until 1914.

Annexation of Luxembourg is only in 1941

Actually Luxembourg was never officially annexed. Yeah, it was occupied and its constitution voided (1940), it was administered as a part of the Gau of Coblenz-Trier (from 1940) and its citizens were granted German citizenship (in one form or another) in 1942, but never was it officially annexed a la Sudetenland. Hence I include it from 1940 since it was administered de facto as part of the Reich from 1940.

Chris S said:
Ummm....okay, apparently you haven't noticed that these maps show control which is why even occupied countries are coloured with the same colour as the occupier, so calm down. Whilst in a perfect world we would have 10,000 ways to show this while using pixels and Microsoft Paint, in OTL we can't. Besides, what is the difference between Congo sharing the same head of state as Belgium and being treated as a personal fief of Leopold II and Congo being Belgian? And how are we going to show the relationship of Congo and Belgium having the same head of state if not by using the same colour? Also when Belgium annexed Congo is not relevant in light of the fact that Egypt was never formally a British protectorate until 1914, but it wouldn't be accurate to colour Egypt as being solely Ottoman until 1914.

Difference between Congo and Egypt, was that there was no formal link with Belgium nor Belgian military or administrative presence, not even a preferential trade treatment as that was forbidden by Berlin. Belgians represented no more than a third of the Whites present in Congo at the time of the transfer. The Belgian Government and Parliament had absolutely nothing to say about Congo, except when it involved Belgium as a counterparty to a treaty or a lender, or when allowing Leopold to become head of another state. The whole affair was viewed in Belgium - except by a few individuals - as an odd side activity of the King rather than a cause of national concern. Things started changing just at about that time with the campaign against the atrocities.

You could maybe shade it as half-Belgian if you want, to reflect the personal links through the King, the economic and financial links, and the prominent presence of several Belgians in the military and administration of the Congo Free State, but showing it as fully Belgian would be premature in 1901.

Well benedict, I tried doing it half-Belgian, but that didn't turn out too well, so instead I coloured it in the same way as with Tibet and Nejd (i.e. a sovereign state with a monarch from another country being suzerain.

1901-revised V gif.GIF

Chris S said:
Well benedict, I tried doing it half-Belgian, but that didn't turn out too well, so instead I coloured it in the same way as with Tibet and Nejd (i.e. a sovereign state with a monarch from another country being suzerain.

I appreciate the effort. Though, just for the fun of being picky, Leopold was not suzerain of Congo in his capacity of King of the Belgians, but sovereign of Congo. Different from Victoria's status with respect to Tibet or Nejd, which effectively put the British Government in the suzerainty (sp?) function.

thanks benedict, though I think maybe the best way to show it would be for Thande to give a different colour for Leopold himself, or maybe just label Belgium's colour as being "Leopoldland" before 1908 and Belgian afterwards.

Go ahead Wendell (although any requests for maps done after 1948 will take some time since Thande has not yet finished his map series). And what of the earlier request? I had done the map but I was still waiting for a reply to the message I sent you (you did get it right?).

Chris S said:
thanks benedict, though I think maybe the best way to show it would be for Thande to give a different colour for Leopold himself, or maybe just label Belgium's colour as being "Leopoldland" before 1908 and Belgian afterwards.

Go ahead Wendell (although any requests for maps done after 1948 will take some time since Thande has not yet finished his map series). And what of the earlier request? I had done the map but I was still waiting for a reply to the message I sent you (you did get it right?).
That was a good map. Thank you Chris :D

Thande

Donor
Since Othniel bumped, here's my revised version of the 1901 map, with a more coherent colour scheme:

1901.gif

Thande

Donor
Early 1942 (before Operation Torch)

Now...I'd like some help working out some more standard maps (using this universal colour scheme, if possible) for the years after the war (say 1950, 1970 and 1990) and hopefully then we can begin concocting some for the nineteenth and eighteenth centuries. :)

1942.gif