Map Contest 2006 Final Round: Diamond vs. Scarecrow

Diamond vs. Scarecrow

• Diamond's Map

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • scarecrow's Map

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay folks the round you all have been waiting for, the challenger, Scarecrow. to prove he is worthy of the Map Contest 2006 trophy (see below) has one last hurdle to cross and that is to defeat the pantless one, the rhinestone cartographer - Diamond in a one-on-one contest.

The PoD chosen was given by Othniel so a big thanks to him and all the other forumites who gave up some good PoDs.

The PoD: The map will be a Europe based map depicting a more successful Reformation in Europe.

Now for the poll:

Once the maps have been posted (they have a week to do them) everyone can vote in them and I encourage everyone to do so. I'll leave them anonymous and if you want them to know who you voted for you can post it in the Discussion thread.

**Please leave this thread empty except for the maps and of course your votes**

Thanks.

Diamond

Banned
OK, I guess I'm first. I'm not entirely happy with this, but I think it conveys all the information I wanted it to, anyway. The POD is that Jan Hus lives another ten years before being executed by the Church, enough time for his views to become even more entrenched in Bohemia, Moravia, and other lands.

This sparks a somewhat stronger, earlier, and more violent Reformation - religious war spreads throughout Europe, and Catholicism by 1650 is a religion of the south. It has been driven almost entirely out of the north of Europe, with the notable exception of England, where Lancastrian monarch still rule. Ireland is a fiercely republican and Hussite nation with a strong navy and extensive North American colonies.

This map shows the situation in Europe in 1800, at the conclusion of a 'Great War', where the three great Calixtine/Hussite kingdoms, Bohemia, Poland, and Hungary, united into one uber-powerful United Kingdom.

reformationfinalwe1.png

Ah, we both used the same map.:cool:

I dont have such a defined POD as Diamond: more that Protestantism is slightly more sucessful in the German states, and that the Catholics in France loose the French Wars of Religion.

When the Bohemians revolt from their Catholic masters in 1618, the *Thirty Years' War starts, but with an earlier intervention by a Protestant France on the side of the Protestant Germans, thier victory is assured. The Hapsburgs are dethroned in Vienna, and the Spaniards kicked out of the Spanish Netherlands (which the French kindly take). the Austrian Hapsburgs lands are divied up, and the entire Holy Roman Empire is reorganised. Ecclesical lands are confiscated and divided up. the Electoral system is reformed, the role of the Princes is kept in check (no foriegn alliances in this timeline) and Imperial army is put in place, yadda yadda yadda.

By now, its the end of the 17th Century, and a major confilct appears to be lurking on the horizon, with tensions across Europe.

Enjoy, because this map stole my soul!

Dueling_Map(Final.png

Well the poll is now closed...

Hmm seems Diamond wins out over Scarecrow.

Sorry old chap [Scarecrow] but guess you don't get the super-mega-ultra-special trophy. Guess you'll just have to settle for the one posted above. :D

Congrats to Diamond for a excellent map and congrats again to Scarecrow for winning the 2006 Map Contest. A big thanks to all the participants and to those who contributed.

Hopefully we'll see you all again next year for the 2007 Map Challenge Contest with new map challenges, some new judges, and of course some wickedly done maps. :cool:

Thande

Donor
Commiserations to Scarecrow. On the plus side the Map Contest has led to a spiritual awakening in him and he's now willing to compromise on the DoD map colour scheme :eek: :D

I suppose Diamond had to win the first one, or it'd make a mockery of the whole thing. ;) Good work, both of you, and looking forward to participating in the next one.

well, I got 40 percent of the vote. not too bad.

No real trophy? darn.

For those of you who voted for me: You wasted your votes. Shame on you all.:p

well, I got 40 percent of the vote. not too bad.

No real trophy? darn.

For those of you who voted for me: You wasted your votes. Shame on you all.:p

Hey you get to use the trophy above (I spent a whole six minutes making that thing ;)).

Hey I didn't waste my vote. You just didn't pimp your map enough. :cool: