Manifest Destiny: Lewis And Clark Vs Lovecraftian Horrors

Deleted member 103950

Is anyone here reading the comic book series Manifest Destiny by Carl Dingess and Matthew Roberts. Basically, it's the story of Lewis and Clark discovering America. But The America they investigate is a far cry from the one in our history books.

I'm curious as to whether the Author is going to make this a 'secret history' of North America or an outright Alternate History.

Basically the plot of the story is that millennia before the American Settlers or even the Natives came to North America, some lost civilization (Alien? Ancient Astronaut? Atlanteans? Hasn't been explained yet, and may never be explained) set up these 'arches' all over the western interior of the North American continent, and through the portals these arches generated out came all sorts of monstrosities.

Manifest-Destiny-013-2015-Digital-Minutemen-Acan.cbr-Page-13.jpg

Just a Sample of what this has them dealing with.

A Big-Ass Prehistoric Lovecraft Frog.

timthumb.php

Something I call the "John Carpenter' Fungus.

efd6e99cf7a217b2b44b9815e68c7a7a.jpg

MinoCentaur

1621565.jpg

and that's just scratching the surface.

All in all though, the setup doesn't really do much with the 'Alternate America' setup, although the Author said he does plan to do something more with it in the future. It's basically a 'monster of the volume' setup, with each volume having Lewis and Clark and company dealing with the increasing madness of not just the increasingly horrifying nihilistic implications of what they discover, but the sheer ruthlessness of an Literal Alien America wilderness.

What do you guys think of this?

I have been reading this and the recent issues becomes more revealing as to why there are monsters

Spoilers, the story strongly points to the wooden Arch's origins to the story's greater scope villain: a evil entity/god (who looks like a humanoid bird-like Chimera and shrouded in fire) who coerced the last survivors of a earlier American expedition to kill each other and leaving one man (who is rendered deeply insane) in order to send a message back to the east, thereby setting the Louis and Clark expedition into motion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103950

It's a crying shame Superhero Comics hog the spotlight. I love superheroes, but Image needs to embrace more than Superheroes and Zombies if they want to stay relevant.

I haven't read Manifest Destiny in a long time since viewcomic only had ten or so issues

But gotta ask, they're fighting aliens, not just eldritch horrors right?

I remember those bird-monkey people, the minocentaurs and that thing without a head that needs other people's heads to survive

Those are all aliens right

(Been playing Bloodborne recently and I think the US government could eventually use some "Hunters")

Deleted member 103950

It's heavily implied they're Aliens/Inter-dimensional beings. . . as from what L&C learned about the bird people from their carvings they came from a place with two suns.

Also, what they did to the bird people is REALLY messed up. It's like if after the events of Return Of The Jedi the rebellion wiped out the Ewoks.

It's heavily implied they're Aliens/Inter-dimensional beings. . . as from what L&C learned about the bird people from their carvings they came from a place with two suns.

Also, what they did to the bird people is REALLY messed up. It's like if after the events of Return Of The Jedi the rebellion wiped out the Ewoks.

I know right. The author is reminding us that in the early 19th century people's morals and ethics back then are so skewed than the modern day. The massacre is not different from how the first Europeans deal with the Native Americans.

Still it is very messed up because Lewis and Clark are not taking chances with those bird monkey people because they apparently killed only one man and ate him in the past and they were planning to eat one of the expedition's men but they stop that after they helped the expedition killed that Jeepers Creeper monster (which I suspected it to be a prototype monster of JC as it took one guy's head as its own). Even fucked up when one of those creatures befriended the kid on the expeditin and that kid was the only person who is appalled of what they had done and he is forced to kill his new best friend.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103950

Even fucked up when one of those creatures befriended the kid on the expeditin and that kid was the only person who is appalled of what they had done and he is forced to kill his new best friend.

and the cover of that comic showed him SMILING with tears in his eyes as Lewis and Clark awarded him with a uniform for his service. . .