Malê Rising

Interlude: because I just can't get South Carolina out of my mind

Congaree State Park, South Carolina
January 17, 2013

kRT1s.jpg

It was getting toward evening, and Cedar Creek was taking on an ethereal appearance, with a misty green light filtering through the cypress canopy. Down below, in the canoe, Johnny Kabbah squinted as he paddled, looking for trail markers. He hadn't been here for years, and a man could get lost if he didn’t watch what he was doing.

He thought he saw the marker, and then he wasn’t sure. He was just about to call for Billy or Mary to lend him their eyes, when he heard the rumble of a motorboat coming from behind. He stopped and let it pass him – it was full of people in their Sunday clothes, going to the ring-shout – and watched where it went. They were all going the same place he was, so if he followed their path, he should be all right.

Truth to tell, he ought to be in the motorboat himself. Johnny was the next best thing to eighty, and a paddle down the creek after a two-hour drive took a lot out of a man his age. But it was important to do it this way. If he wanted to take things easy, he could have gone to the shout back home. Coming here was like going to Mecca or to the King of Mali’s tomb in Sokoto – it was holy ground, and he wanted Billy and Mary to get there the same way his great-grandnanny had done.

He heard laughter in back and turned around to look at them. Mary had her hand outside the boat and was trailing it in the water, stirring the floating branches as they passed. “Careful, bidi,” he said. “There’s nanse in the water, not good if they bite you.”

The child pulled her hand out of the creek as if she’d been bitten already. Billy, two years older, jeered at her for being so afraid of spiders, and ran his hand across her face like it was a spider itself.

“Quiet, bidi,” Johnny said before a fight could start. “Why don’t you look for birds or toti frogs. They got songbirds here, Mariama, sing sweeter than you do.”

“Why’re you using Mary’s basket name, grandpa?”

“Come on,” said the younger child, “you know we use basket names on Liberation Day.” She pointed at Billy and called him by his. “Bala, Bala, Bala…”

A moment later they were laughing about something else, and Johnny let his mind wander. Great-grandnanny was just Mary’s age when the Rising started. I wonder how the creek looked to her, when she was camped here.

He’d been lucky enough to hear some of the stories - Great-grandnanny Missy was near on ninety when he was a boy, but she’d still had her mind. She’d been eight years old that year, not old enough for fighting or for heavy work, but just the right size to scout. She could run like a deer and swim like an otter, and she was quiet as a cat when she wanted to be, so they’d sent her up and down the river, scouting out the Reb patrols coming from Columbia.

Holy ground. This was where Johnny’s family had stood and fought, and what was holier than that? Every family in South Carolina had a place like it, the spot where they’d said “enough” and made their stand. Everywhere in the state was holy ground to someone, every family had its Kaaba where some ancestor had pitched his tent.

Except this place was holy to more than Great-grandnanny Missy. Harriet Tubman had commanded the battalion that camped here, and where she set foot wasn’t just holy, it was history.

“Got a story for you,” he said, shipping his oars as they came around a bend. It wasn’t far to the landing now, and he needed to take a rest. “It’s got your great-great-great-grandnanny in it, and Harriet Tubman.”

The children left off their games and let him gather them in – even Billy wasn’t too old for one of his grandfather’s stories, and the Congaree swamp in gathering darkness was just the place to hear it. “Was it in the war? The Rising?”

“No, bidi, this happened later. It was in ’92 – 1892 – and Great-grandnanny Missy was a grown woman with four chillun of her own. She was a big deal in the Circles down in Beaufort County – you know the Circles?”

Both children nodded. They’d learned about the Circles in school, and knew that in the years after the Great Rising, they were much more than the social clubs and charitable societies they were now. “She was a district boss?”

One of the district bosses,” Johnny corrected. “Her Circle wasn’t one of the ones where a couple of people pulled all the strings. But that was the year the politicians in Columbia were deciding whether to let women vote, and she was all for it.”

“Course she was!” Mary shouted.

“Not all the ladies were. But anyway, her Circle had their argument, and decided agin it, and they sent a man up to Columbia to tell their senator to vote no. Now, once the decision was made, everyone was supposed to shut up and go along, but do you think Missy did?”

Mary knew the answer to that question – she’d heard stories of her three-times-great grandmother before, and knew that Missy was as strong-willed as she was. “Bet she didn’t!”

“You bet right. She walked out one day, all the way to Charleston, and caught the train to Columbia herself. And she walked right into Harriet Tubman’s office, and reminded her of all the scouting she’d done back in the war.”

“Miss Harriet remembered?” asked Billy.

“She sure did. Great-grandnanny said Miss Harriet remembered everyone, and she wasn’t the only one who said so. Miz Tubman knew who she was, even after thirty years, and called her Otter like she’d done when Missy swam after the Rebs. And then she made real sure that great-grandnanny got in to see the senator.”

“Nobody said no to Miss Harriet.”

“Oh, some people did, but they had to be pretty brave. The senator sure didn’t. He let them in, but he was still ready to vote no. That’s when Great-grandnanny told him to get all the assemblymen from his county and come right here.”

“They listened?”

“Miz Tubman was there, and she backed Missy up, so they listened like schoolboys. They all came out to pretty much where we are now, a whole kome of them, paddling in a boat and trying to keep the nanse off their pants.”

q3JXw.jpg

“And when they got here?”

“Great-grandnanny stood up and dove in the water without saying a word. She was under for a minute or more, and they were all looking around like chickens, and then she came up – I guess it was by that rock right there. And she said ‘Back in ’63, I saw some Rebs right where you are now, and I swam down to the landing without them seeing me, and I told Miss Harriet. And she sent out some buhbuhs – I know at least two of y’all were with them – and you ran ‘em off properly. Now if I gave her the word, and she gave you the orders, tell me just where you’d have been without our votes.’ And they just stood there with their heads down in their necks like kutas in their shells.”

Mary clapped her hands. “And they voted yes?”

“They didn’t dare vote no.”

“And Great-grandnanny? Did she see Miss Harriet again?”

“She did. It was a long time later, when she was a senator herself and Miz Tubman was a hundred and one, but yes, the two of them were right here again when they made a park of this place.” He let his voice trail off. “Holy ground,” he said, not quite loud enough to hear.

He looked up and was surprised to see they were almost at the landing: they’d drifted with the current, and the creek had carried them nearly all the way. The landing was crowded, but there was still a place to tie up the boat, and it was a good thing too, because the shout was already starting.

“We’re late just like at home, Grandpa,” Billy said.

Johnny shrugged it off – he was always late these days, an old man’s privilege. “You call me Domba in this place,” was all he said. “Basket names and nothing else.”

They made their way up to the circle with the preacher in the center. It was a big circle – most of the town always came out for a ring-shout, but in a place like this, it was more than just a town. Black and white were here from all over the state – the buckra had been coming since Johnny was a boy – and celebrating what happened all these many years ago.

“We’re here because of the God who made us free,” the preacher was saying. “Don’t care if you call him Jesus or Allah, he’s a mighty God, an awesome God, and He showed Himself in this place a hundred fifty years ago today, when the slaves rose up and put themselves in His hands.”

The circle was moving in rhythm, and people were beating sticks on the ground; the ones who hadn’t picked up a stick were beating their feet. “Lord whose name is freedom,” someone began, “give Your love to me, bringing us to glory, granting liberty…” Everyone knew the words, and everyone was singing along.

Mary, one hand in Johnny’s and the other in her brother’s, looked up and smiled. “God showed himself twice here, didn’t He?”

He thought of Great-grandnanny Missy diving into the water, and all the politicians who’d realized she was bringing them a message, and imagined how she must have looked when she was lit up by a ray of sun. “Can’t speak for Allah, Mariama,” he said, “but I think He did.”

Mary was singing again, but something about her now made him sure she knew the secret, knew why the old man had brought her here while she was still a child. This was holy ground, and there was nothing in the world like knowing it.

Very well-written. Your style invites readers to think about the words in a unique way - you can't just skim it and be done. Glad to know that South Carolina will be doing well in 2013.

Cheers,
Ganesha

Yay again for Malê pragmatic feminism!

And the holy places of your alt-Carolina. And history still living--with people like these I'm not too worried about what pieces of paper in Washington say, though I daresay they mostly say reasonable things.

Thanks, y'all.

Very well-written. Your style invites readers to think about the words in a unique way - you can't just skim it and be done. Glad to know that South Carolina will be doing well in 2013.

This and this might be useful - there are plenty of other sources.

For the record, the family in the story has members from Sierra Leone and Gullah country - every family does - but most of their heritage isn't Gullah, and they wouldn't consider themselves such. Great-grandmother Missy, who learned standard English in the freedmen's schools, would have told the story much more formally than Johnny did, although she could certainly use plain speech for effect. The reason Johnny speaks the way he does is that Gullah culture has influenced South Carolinian English to the point where everyone uses those words. Even the white people sometimes use them - "bidi," for instance, is used as an affectionate name for children throughout the state. (It means "bird" - animal nicknames are very Gullah, which was something TTL's Harriet Tubman picked up without quite knowing it.)

That's also why there are things like ring-shouts near Columbia, and for that matter all over the state - Sunday church services in many towns are held outdoors in fair weather, with the whole town attending and lots of singing and dancing. There's been a lot of fusion between Christianity and Islam as well, although both retain distinct identities.

The Gullah language itself is somewhat different than in OTL - a century of interaction with Sierra Leone has led to more emphasis on African loanwords, and to some of the English component being pronounced in a more "African" way.

South Carolina - it's a whole other country.

Yay again for Malê pragmatic feminism!

And the holy places of your alt-Carolina. And history still living--with people like these I'm not too worried about what pieces of paper in Washington say, though I daresay they mostly say reasonable things.

By 2013, mostly - although TTL's people are no wiser than we are, so sometimes not.

Oral history is, as you say, a very big deal in TTL's South Carolina - its people have a very strong sense of their heritage, like Texans or Hawaiians in OTL. Part of the reason is the uniqueness of that heritage, and part of it is that participation in the great events of the 19th century was so widespread. Every family has Great Rising stories to tell.

Another inspiration for the story was how short OTL American history really is, in the grand scheme of things. The Declaration of Independence was three long lifetimes ago, and my father-in-law once met someone whose grandfather (who he knew) had served in the American Revolution as a boy. I've personally met someone whose mother was a slave. It's the same in TTL, possibly even more so - for Billy and Mary, two degrees of separation from the Great Rising, history is a family affair, and will continue to be one for a long time to come.

Hnau

Banned
Lots of new updates! Finals week is taking up a lot of my time, I'll have to post a longer reply later, but this caught my interest.

Shevek23 said:
Reading this post, I suffered some dismay at the effects of the absence of the full force of the OTL Reconstruction Amendments. Indeed, much of the progress of the latter half of the 20th century, not just on matters of racial equity but all across the board, stem from those amendments. In making the Bill of Rights an integral part of every state's constitution (in that any state constitutional provision or law that contradicts the Bill of Rights is nullified--once some court notes the contradiction that is) these amendments resolved the question of whether the USA is a unitary nation which happens to devolve some substantial powers to local regions, or a federation of sovereign states, decisively in the direction of union, along of course with the de facto results of the Civil War.

What? I don't remember reading about the alternate Reconstruction. I'll have to dig a bit in the thread to find that part, I must have skipped over it. We need to update the wiki page with some kind of index to all of this timeline's installments.

Another inspiration for the story was how short OTL American history really is, in the grand scheme of things. The Declaration of Independence was three long lifetimes ago, and my father-in-law once met someone whose grandfather (who he knew) had served in the American Revolution as a boy. I've personally met someone whose mother was a slave. It's the same in TTL, possibly even more so - for Billy and Mary, two degrees of separation from the Great Rising, history is a family affair, and will continue to be one for a long time to come.

Heh. My dad once told me that when he was a boy in the 1930s, he met a man who shook his hand and told him he was only two handshakes away from Abraham Lincoln...

Bruce

What? I don't remember reading about the alternate Reconstruction. I'll have to dig a bit in the thread to find that part, I must have skipped over it. We need to update the wiki page with some kind of index to all of this timeline's installments.

No need to dig; Reconstruction was discussed in post 486 on page 25, with additional comment at posts 488, 490 and 495. TTL's Reconstruction-era amendments are described in post 495 as follows:

The Thirteenth Amendment (Jan. 1864) abolished slavery; the Fourteenth (July 1864) granted federal and state citizenship only, without requiring the states to conform to the Bill of Rights; and the Fifteenth (Aug. 1866) required the states to honor certain fundamental rights: freedom of occupation, freedom of movement, property ownership, equal status in the courts, due process, freedom of worship and the right to bear arms. Universal suffrage and full incorporation of the Bill of Rights wouldn't come until later. Again, this is a result of Reconstruction being negotiated between Congress and a surviving Lincoln administration rather than being driven by a radical Congress against the will of the White House.
Your idea about indexing sounds great - it would certainly be very helpful to me in maintaining continuity, because I sometimes get lost looking for where I've dealt with a particular place or topic before. I'd be grateful if anyone would care to do it, and even more so for a TV Tropes page. :p

And I'll certainly look forward to your further insights.

Hnau

Banned
No need to dig; Reconstruction was discussed in post 486 on page 25, with additional comment at posts 488, 490 and 495. TTL's Reconstruction-era amendments are described in post 495 as follows...

Ah, there we are. Very cool. There's a lot of stuff there I missed. So Lincoln wasn't assassinated, and as such Congress was much less radical? Is that because the Confederate states were readmitted much more readily? Is there any post that discusses Lincoln's presidency a bit more specifically? The amendments are interesting... it seems that the Fourteenth is less comprehensive than OTL but that the Fifteenth actually does much more than OTL... what was the reasoning behind that?

I apologize if I'm going over topics that were already discussed :p I should just read everything again to see if I missed these answers before I type up a bunch of questions. An index would help a lot definitely! Count me in as one of the collaborators! :)

Ah, there we are. Very cool. There's a lot of stuff there I missed. So Lincoln wasn't assassinated, and as such Congress was much less radical? Is that because the Confederate states were readmitted much more readily?

It's because, with a continuing Lincoln presidency, Reconstruction was negotiated between Congress and the White House rather than being imposed by a radical Congress over presidential objection. Congress was still pretty radical - hell, Robert Smalls was a senator by the end of the 1860s - but without Andrew Johnson as a foil and with Lincoln actively involved in the planning, the Congressional leaders were more willing to compromise. There were some lines in the sand (no Black Codes and no total disenfranchisement) but Congress didn't push things as far as OTL.

Is there any post that discusses Lincoln's presidency a bit more specifically?

Not at present - it's mentioned in a few places, but there's no complete discussion.

The amendments are interesting... it seems that the Fourteenth is less comprehensive than OTL but that the Fifteenth actually does much more than OTL... what was the reasoning behind that?

TTL's Fifteenth was actually intended to do less than the OTL Fourteenth. The reason it lists specific rights rather than having an open-ended "privileges and immunities" clause (yes, I know the P&I clause in OTL was eviscerated by the Supreme Court, but it was meant to have the same function that the Warren Court later gave to the due process clause) was to make clear that only those rights, and no others, applied to the states. It was an anti-Black Code amendment, and it went only as far as Congress deemed necessary to overturn the Black Codes: it didn't require the states to give freedmen the right to vote, freedom of speech, or any other portions of the Bill of Rights not deemed necessary to prevent peonage.

As noted above, the freedmen and the more radical white Republicans are now pushing hard for a more comprehensive civil rights amendment, and that will be one of the big political fights of the coming decades.

An index would help a lot definitely! Count me in as one of the collaborators! :)

Thanks! India/Malaysia/Indonesia is next, and after that, the moment we've all been waiting for.

Hnau

Banned
Jonathan Edelstein said:
It's because, with a continuing Lincoln presidency, Reconstruction was negotiated between Congress and the White House rather than being imposed by a radical Congress over presidential objection. Congress was still pretty radical - hell, Robert Smalls was a senator by the end of the 1860s - but without Andrew Johnson as a foil and with Lincoln actively involved in the planning, the Congressional leaders were more willing to compromise. There were some lines in the sand (no Black Codes and no total disenfranchisement) but Congress didn't push things as far as OTL.

Ah, okay, I understand. I was still somewhat operating on the preconceived notion that with a continued Lincoln presidency more would have been done for civil rights but looking through some other threads here on AH.com it looks like that myth has been debunked. I see now where that's coming from.

Jonathan Edelstein said:
As noted above, the freedmen and the more radical white Republicans are now pushing hard for a more comprehensive civil rights amendment, and that will be one of the big political fights of the coming decades.

Yeah! Interestingly enough, it looks like by not having such a radical Reconstruction pressure is building up more quickly for civil rights reform, though that's coming from a number of different developments too.

Jonathan Edelstein said:
Thanks! India/Malaysia/Indonesia is next, and after that, the moment we've all been waiting for.

Great! I'm looking forward to both. :) I bet Shevek23 is going to have a field day discussing everything you have to say about military matters in the first Great War installment. If you thought it generated a lot of discussion and debate before when you had only been dropping a hint about it here and there, just wait until we actually get to the conflict itself! I wonder if the thread will start attracting (or increase its attraction towards) the wargamer/military-AH crowd that keeps to a few select timelines in the After 1900 forum...

I'd probably like to visit TTL's South Carolina.

Will there be an African-American president ITTL? And, if so, will it be sooner than OTL?

I wonder what television and computers and such will look like TTL.

If you don't win the Turtledove, it will be the biggest snub in AH.com history, IMO (you're eligible for Best New 19th Century Timeline, BTW).

Ah, okay, I understand. I was still somewhat operating on the preconceived notion that with a continued Lincoln presidency more would have been done for civil rights but looking through some other threads here on AH.com it looks like that myth has been debunked. I see now where that's coming from.

Reasonable minds can disagree. I've seen it argued that Lincoln became increasingly radical as the war progressed, and that if he had lived, things like the Black Codes might have radicalized him further. In that case, there might be a Reconstruction very much like OTL, including a sweeping civil rights amendment. I chose to interpret Lincoln differently, and to assume that he would rein in the most radical members of Congress in the interest of patching up the Union's wounds, but that assumption can certainly be disputed.

Yeah! Interestingly enough, it looks like by not having such a radical Reconstruction pressure is building up more quickly for civil rights reform, though that's coming from a number of different developments too.

Well, the Radical Republicans still exist in TTL's 1890s, and they've had two decades to see what can happen without civil rights reform. And as mentioned before, this is the populist era, and sooner or later, some Northern state will try to repress white trade unionists or poor white farmers in the same way that some of the Southern states are doing to the black civil-rights movement. Once that happens, all hell will break loose. And that kind of thing has often happened during wartime, not that I'm giving you a spoiler or anything.

I wonder if the thread will start attracting (or increase its attraction towards) the wargamer/military-AH crowd that keeps to a few select timelines in the After 1900 forum...

I'm always happy for readers, but at bottom, this isn't a tech/hardware timeline, and I hope that if they do show up, we won't get bogged down with endless arguments about war materiel. I'll say right now that I plan to discuss technical developments in fairly general terms - there will inevitably be some description and comparison of hardware and tactical doctrine, but I don't want that to become the focus of the timeline.

I'd probably like to visit TTL's South Carolina.

Me too - I probably wouldn't have continued writing this timeline if it didn't involve ideas, places and people that I would enjoy encountering. They say "write what you know," but I think the better advice is "write what you love."

Will there be an African-American president ITTL? And, if so, will it be sooner than OTL?

There will be one, and probably sooner than OTL, because there will be more African-American politicians with the stature to become presidential contenders. There will always be at least one black senator, for instance, and there will be a pool of black ex-governors and a few cabinet secretaries, and by the middle of the twentieth century, they won't all be from South Carolina.

I wonder what television and computers and such will look like TTL.

I haven't thought much about this yet, given that those innovations are still decades away. I expect that form will follow function to a great extent, but that the social context (and therefore both the content and the knock-on effects) will be different. We'll see what happens when we get there.

If you don't win the Turtledove, it will be the biggest snub in AH.com history, IMO (you're eligible for Best New 19th Century Timeline, BTW).

We'll see - The Knight Irish's Civil War timeline is in the same category. But I'm still honored by everyone who's said so.

Reasonable minds can disagree. I've seen it argued that Lincoln became increasingly radical as the war progressed, and that if he had lived, things like the Black Codes might have radicalized him further. In that case, there might be a Reconstruction very much like OTL, including a sweeping civil rights amendment. I chose to interpret Lincoln differently, and to assume that he would rein in the most radical members of Congress in the interest of patching up the Union's wounds, but that assumption can certainly be disputed.
Much of the debate about Lincoln's position and inclinations does not take proper note of how they evolved over time. I think his genius was to meticulously exhaust possibilities and thus dialectically evolve toward a more advanced position. One can find very damning things he said before his Presidency, and indeed very dismaying policies he implemented during its early years, such as the standing order to return escaped slaves to their masters. But as the war progressed OTL, he came increasingly around to something closer to the Radical position--and when he did, he could not be reproached, save by a unreconstructed believer in slavery, because he'd tried the compromises first and they fell short.

So--in OTL, if he had been around to serve out his entire second term, and faced the situation he did on the day of his death, and how it was going to evolve, he'd have wound up implementing some of the Radical agenda before leaving office.

But in this timeline, the generally better position of the former slaves, due to their self-liberation and major and early and visible contributions to Union victory, which came a year earlier than OTL, means that the first draft compromises he starts with generally work better from his point of view and there's less need for his position to evolve, so we get the Lincoln you have.

I'm always happy for readers, but at bottom, this isn't a tech/hardware timeline, and I hope that if they do show up, we won't get bogged down with endless arguments about war materiel. I'll say right now that I plan to discuss technical developments in fairly general terms - there will inevitably be some description and comparison of hardware and tactical doctrine, but I don't want that to become the focus of the timeline.
Not that any of this timeline's loyal and established readers would ever indulge themselves in such a distraction!::rolleyes::p

(Sarcastic smilies aimed squarely at one Shevek23, not anyone else in particular.:eek:)

Hnau

Banned
I'm starting work on the indexing of Malê Rising on the AH.com wiki here. If anyone wants to test out the links, that would be great. Otherwise, tell me via PM or on this thread if you want to continue adding links. It would not be good if we were both editing the page at the same time.

I'm basing the format for the page off the Eyes Turned Skyward list.

I'm starting work on the indexing of Malê Rising on the AH.com wiki here. If anyone wants to test out the links, that would be great. Otherwise, tell me via PM or on this thread if you want to continue adding links. It would not be good if we were both editing the page at the same time.

Thanks for taking this on! I may have a few suggestions for the descriptive notes after the list is done, but it looks great so far.

Hnau

Banned
Jonathan Edelstein said:
Thanks for taking this on! I may have a few suggestions for the descriptive notes after the list is done, but it looks great so far.

Feel free to put in new descriptions if they aren't what you had in mind, or just send me a PM and I can do it for ya pretty quickly.

Going through all of this again, it surprises me how many installments I skimmed over and how very interesting the path of all the butterflies are. I'm glad you made the decision to have news of Abacar hit Britain so early and cause such a stir, without it a lot of neat divergences wouldn't have happened and the butterflies would have stayed in West-Central Africa for much longer. In my reread, I realized that I didn't appreciate Paulo and Usman Abacar as characters hardly as much as I should have. They were very well designed. Another observation: you're right, people have been talking about this alternate Great War for something like nine months, it is definitely a long-awaited update. And an idea: Could we please have a huge statue of Paulo somewhere in TTL's modern-day *Nigeria? That would be way cool.

Paulo Abacar reminds me of Lord Eddard Stark in Game of Thrones for some reason. He's as good a man as you could believe might exist in reality and is determined to set himself against the cruelties of the world, but he ultimately perishes, yet his positive influence continues through his family and those he fought for and could some day actually make a difference.

Going through all of this again, it surprises me how many installments I skimmed over and how very interesting the path of all the butterflies are. I'm glad you made the decision to have news of Abacar hit Britain so early and cause such a stir, without it a lot of neat divergences wouldn't have happened and the butterflies would have stayed in West-Central Africa for much longer.

Thanks! And the British vector was certainly intended: I wanted this to be a timeline in which Africa influences the world, and given the power differential between European and African states at the time, this would have to happen through spread of ideas.

And an idea: Could we please have a huge statue of Paulo somewhere in TTL's modern-day *Nigeria? That would be way cool.

Paulo himself would probably consider such a statue blasphemous, and it won't be built while Usman is alive, but after Usman's time - and especially during the independence struggle - people will want to commemorate him in various ways, and that could possibly be one of them.

Paulo Abacar reminds me of Lord Eddard Stark in Game of Thrones for some reason. He's as good a man as you could believe might exist in reality and is determined to set himself against the cruelties of the world, but he ultimately perishes, yet his positive influence continues through his family and those he fought for and could some day actually make a difference.

I haven't read Game of Thrones, but that's more or less what I intended: a leader who was a fundamentally good person, but who had the vices of his virtues and whose very virtues caused him to make mistakes. And his influence continues not only through his family and nation but through his ideas: much of what happened to TTL's West Africa in the nineteenth century was inspired either by Abacar's ideas or by ideologies such as Belloism developed in reaction to him, and he is indirectly responsible for the Marianada of Brazil and for the successful slave revolt in South Carolina.

The man will have many memories - the Gullah know by now that he wasn't from Mali and wasn't a king, but he will be the King of Mali to them forever, as he will be the Liberator and the Teacher to the peoples of the Niger Valley.

Anyway, thanks again for taking on the task of indexing, and I hope to have the India/Indonesia/Malaya update posted by midweek - as with any time when I'm bringing a new area into the timeline, there's reading I need to do first.

Hnau

Banned
Hey Jonathan! Hope you are doing well, looking forward to seeing the Indochinese update, but I just wanted to report that Malê Rising has been completely indexed, to the best of my ability!

The list of all official Malê Rising posts can be found here on the AH.com Wiki.http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/timelines/list_of_male_rising_posts

Put that link in your signature or somewhere to do some more advertising... this is the season for Turtledoves, after all. ;)

Jonathan Edelstein said:
Paulo himself would probably consider such a statue blasphemous, and it won't be built while Usman is alive, but after Usman's time - and especially during the independence struggle - people will want to commemorate him in various ways, and that could possibly be one of them.

If not, no worries, that statue of the Black Marianne in Charleston will be cool enough, but I was wondering, how large will they build it? Will it be as big as the Statue of Liberty? And will they have those same colors as in the image you posted? I could potentially use some Photoshop skills to make a pretty cool image of Charleston harbor with such a statue. Any way it could be built on top of the ruins of Fort Sumter (if it was really big)? Maybe another good location would be in the place of the Charleston Light. Perhaps it could even serve the same function as a lighthouse, after all, the Statue of Liberty was used as a lighthouse at one point in time.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it, too.

This comes in at over 195,000 words. Wow.

Hope you win the Turtledove (if you don't win, it would be wrong).