Malê Rising

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you. And it's great to see that your impressions of the story include some of the exact things I was trying to say about colonialism and the transition to modernity.

I hope to see many more comments from you - your thoughts are always welcome.

Your welcome, and I'm glad I got what you were saying:).

I like how the war ended with a self-declared dual dominion status, and all the other dominions of the empire going "Hey, hold on here!" It's nice to see this alt-form of a Commonwealth of Nations possibly forming without the massive slaughter of a second world war (well I hope there won't be one, but if there is such is history).

The literary update was great, especially with Ujjal finding out the truth of his father. The sentimentalist in me too enjoyed that. Wonder how he's going to factor into the Abacar family's dynamic. Can't wait to read more, especially about the return of the idea of a Nigerian Federation.:cool:

I just skimmed through the history of Bhopal State and I was surprised that they had female rulers continuously up until the 1920's!! I never knew that! :eek: Are the female Begums still ruling the city in this timeline? If so, how would that influence the state and the populations residing within it?

If you ever finish this Jonathan, we should do an ancient/Medieval China collab involving no Genghis Khan, a longer lived Liao Dynasty, and a Steampunk Song Dynasty. :D

I kind of like the idea of a steampunk Song Dynasty, but I wouldn't be the one to write that story, as I'm very far from an expert on China.

It's nice to see this alt-form of a Commonwealth of Nations possibly forming without the massive slaughter of a second world war

In a way, there was a second world war, albeit within a single empire. The British Empire just before the Indian revolution included about a quarter of humanity, so a civil war in the empire (which the later Imperial Party era effectively was, albeit somewhat balkanized) would have worldwide implications. This Commonwealth, like ours, is the child of much blood and pain.

The literary update was great, especially with Ujjal finding out the truth of his father. The sentimentalist in me too enjoyed that. Wonder how he's going to factor into the Abacar family's dynamic.

Thanks! And with Ujjal's history, I'm sure he'll fit into the family pretty well.

I just skimmed through the history of Bhopal State and I was surprised that they had female rulers continuously up until the 1920's!! I never knew that! :eek: Are the female Begums still ruling the city in this timeline? If so, how would that influence the state and the populations residing within it?

Yes, the Begums still rule Bhopal - as in OTL, Sultan Shah Jahan only had a daughter. There may even be one more generation of them in TTL.

As in OTL, they're modernizers and have maintained good relations with both their Hindu and Muslim subjects. If anything, the greater influence of Islamic reformism would have strengthened their investments in industry and education and their experiments in democratization. They'd be attracted to West African reformist doctrines for obvious reasons - especially Kaikhusrau Jahan, who in TTL is something of a feminist as well as a scholar - and are involved in Islamic education throughout India.

Update hopefully later today - the real world has been interfering, albeit in a good way.

Sulemain

Banned
The Latin Right means service in the military gives one citizenship, yes? I have the image of a Starship Troopers style poster "service means citizenship"!

The Latin Right means service in the military gives one citizenship, yes? I have the image of a Starship Troopers style poster "service means citizenship"!

I undesrtood that it's more complicated and related to political expediency in some places and, in principle, to some sort of assimilation to "French" culture (whatever it may mean in a context where Senegal and Gabon are integral parts of France; not that Metropolitan France isn't very diverse in itself, but IOTL there has been a very consistent trend to underplay this diversity for a couple of centuries at least). But military service is a very obvious and very significant part of it, as could be expected in the current Zeitgeist of both OTL and TTL (OTL was probably significantly more militaristic, but those basic attitudes seem to exist in TTL as weel).

Sulemain

Banned
I undesrtood that it's more complicated and related to political expediency in some places and, in principle, to some sort of assimilation to "French" culture (whatever it may mean in a context where Senegal and Gabon are integral parts of France; not that Metropolitan France isn't very diverse in itself, but IOTL there has been a very consistent trend to underplay this diversity for a couple of centuries at least). But military service is a very obvious and very significant part of it, as could be expected in the current Zeitgeist of both OTL and TTL (OTL was probably significantly more militaristic, but those basic attitudes seem to exist in TTL as weel).

That makes sense. Was there a post explaining Latin Right? I'm pretty sure there was; this TL needs a story only bit.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Was there a post explaining Latin Right? I'm pretty sure there was; this TL needs a story only bit.

i'm not generally a fan of "story-only" threads as the evolution of an AH story tends to be strongly influenced by fan response--given that Jonathan is so amazingly persistent with rapid and yet steady production of consistently good stuff, the conversation here rarely strays any distance from the story line, unlike some other threads I could name.:rolleyes: You miss a lot if you leave out the commentary!

However we've got something I think is as good as a story-only thread and arguably better--I think so anyway:

Voila the Table of Contents!!

So no, none of them say "Latin Right invented here" in the titles--I had to poke around a bit at the French-themed posts, but 4th time was the charm:

Here you go, Post 663 aka "Installment #55: France, the Toucouleur, and the Congo in the 1870s" It was formalized by Napoleon IV, known as "Plon-Plon" to the snarky but a man of much liberal good intention; Latin Right is not restricted to veterans but can include them. If you read the earlier French-related posts you can see how the background of the Emperor championing such a principle developed--note that at the same time as he proposed Latin Right for the entire Empire, he nationalized (and enfranchised) the entire nation of Senegal--they all have Latin Right! Because Senegal is integral to France, you see.

The post addresses how much more dicey the whole subject is applied to Algeria.:eek:

Sulemain

Banned
Okay, thank you :) Glad to refresh my memory about that; it seems to me that the French Empire is going to be one of those which will survive, albeit in a federal format. Good to see L'Emperor tying everything together :) .

A settler Algeria pulling a UDI and becoming an Rhodesia analogue would be interesting, if impractical.

JamesG

Donor
This has been getting a lot of (well deserved) praise over on Es Geloybte Aretz, so I thought I should have a look. I'm only up to page 4 but consider me subscribed! I'm looking forward to the next 200 pages.

CLu1G8J.jpg

Eduardo Vieira, The Church and the Colonial Question, 1920-60 (Luanda: Nova Imprensa, 1989)

… The Conclave of 1919, the second to be held in Rio, featured a church hierarchy much different from the previous one. To begin with, the Church had many more princes: Pope Celestine VI had aggressively elevated bishops and even parish priests to the cardinalate in order to put his stamp on the hierarchy, and there were now 117 cardinals as opposed to the 79 that had elected him to the papacy. But that was only the beginning. Celestine’s goal had been the formation of a College of Cardinals that would represent the Catholic world, and he had appointed men from the New World, Africa and Asia in record numbers, as well as Europeans whose experience had come in the pastoral trenches rather than in traditional circles of power. Celestine’s ideal Church was a street-fighter’s church, a church of the poor, and the 1919 Conclave was closer to that ideal than any for centuries before it.

The ultramontanes and reactionaries, whose hegemony had been unquestioned only a quarter-century before, were a distinct minority among the cardinals who gathered in Rio in August 1919. There were few if any who could be termed liberal: the Catholic Liberal movement was still, as it had been in 1905, a thing of the European and North American laity and lower priesthood rather than the upper hierarchy. But the Catholic left of Latin America and the Philippines was represented: conservative in doctrine but radical in its support of economic and social justice, and highly skeptical of entrenched elites. The populism of the Legion was there along with it, as were the movements of the center and right that had gained power in Belgium and the Andean republics. The Church of 1919 was as political as that of 1905 if not more so – in that, at least, Celestine had been unsuccessful – but its politics were more grass-roots and more attuned to industrial modernity, and were conscious of the global depression that was only just starting to ease.

The 1919 Conclave returned to Europe to choose a pope, electing the 52-year-old Archbishop of Rennes who took the throne as Benedict XV. In part, his election was a rebuke to the anti-clericalism of the French government, of which he was a vocal opponent. But he also shared Celestine’s emphasis on social justice, and though he lacked notable Legion sympathies, he had devoted his life to educating and providing sustenance for the poor. What’s more, he had served in several Church posts in West Africa and India, and the ongoing Indian war of independence had turned him into a critic of harsh colonial policies. It is thus not surprising that, although his papacy would be marked by engagement in the Venezuelan wars of 1922-27 and by an overhaul of the Catholic charitable and educational network, his impact would be felt most strongly in Africa.

The catalyst was the Portuguese election of 1919, which occurred less than a month after Benedict’s own. The Reconstruction Party, which favored a Catholic corporatist state on the Belgian model, won 46 percent of the vote and a commanding majority of parliamentary seats based on its pledge to emulate Belgium in mobilizing social support against the depression. [1] The Reconstructionists quickly moved to consolidate their power, redrawing the constitution in a way that, although formally non-partisan, made Portugal into an effective one-party state. The so-called Novo Reino would evolve considerably over time, but it would dominate Portuguese politics well into the 1950s.

Under the Reconstructionists, as under previous governments, Portuguese citizens were encouraged to settle in Angola, Mozambique and the mining regions of Portuguese Central Africa. Subsidies for free settlers became the highest ever, and internal exile became the punishment for opponents of the Novo Reino who hadn’t committed any prison offenses but were considered too dangerous to leave in Portugal proper. The Portuguese population in Africa, which had been 90,000 in 1910 [2] and 130,000 in 1918, approached 200,000 in 1922. And this would lead inexorably to the troubles that became known as A Rotura – the rupture.

It would be inaccurate to say that the Novo Reino caused the Rupture, as its roots went back decades or even centuries to the era of slavery. But the massive influx of settlers strained the colonial system in several ways. More settlers meant more of a hunger for land, and confiscation of African farms increased sharply; also, an increased need for infrastructure meant that forced labor obligations became longer and more frequent. Prominent African and mestiço families found it harder to compete for jobs. In the back-country, the concessionaires, who were now important pillars of the corporate state, had effective impunity to coerce African labor and did so in order to earn profits with which to discharge their social welfare obligations.

Just as explosive was the Novo Reino’s interference with African religious practices. Nearly everyone in Angola and Mozambique was nominally Catholic, but folk religion was common, and for the past half-century, the colonial authorities had generally left it alone. The Reconstructionists were different: like Tavares’ government in Peru [3], they regarded folk-religious practices as backward and abhorrent, and cracked down heavily on them, fining thousands for conducting unlawful rituals and putting the more tenacious ones in prison. This would have been explosive at the best of times, but in the 1910s and 20s, many of the folk-religious rites were centered on warding off the Congo fever, and their proponents believed that the Novo Reino was leaving them helpless before the disease.

These factors combined into a perfect storm in June 1923, with near-simultaneous uprisings in Angola, Mozambique and the copper-mining region of Portuguese Central Africa. The rebels’ initial advances were beaten back quickly in the way that Portugal had handled the prior colonial revolts of the twentieth century: with a combination of Portuguese garrison troops, soldiers from the Katangese princely states and Congolese mercenaries. But the rebellion proved harder to root out entirely. The Great War had left the region awash in weapons, and there were places the rebels could go for shelter: Mutapa, nominally aligned to Portugal but worried that an increasingly repressive Catholic state might subvert its independence, and Sud-Kivu, where Dietmar Köhler’s wife came from one of the mestiço families that the settlers had muscled aside. [4] Both Köhler and the Luba, whose trading network now extended throughout Portuguese Africa, were believed to be conduits for money and supplies, although the colonial government could never prove it.

By the end of 1923, the main areas of settlement had been pacified, but insurgency persisted in the back country, and marches in sympathy with the rebellion took place regularly in the major cities. It was the latter that scared the colonial administration the most, uniting as it did the educated urban Africans and mestiços and the anti-regime Portuguese who had been sent to Africa as exiles. The government wanted to crush the demonstrations ruthlessly – but the presence of Augusto Cardinal Dias prevented them from doing so.

Dias was a street-fighter in Celestine’s mold: the second son of an educated Kimbundu family, he had fought in the Legion as a young man, joined the priesthood afterward, and ministered to a polyglot congregation in Luanda’s growing slums. His congregation’s concerns were the immediate needs of life, and he had fought to provide those needs to them, often acting as an intermediary between them and the government. Celestine had elevated him first to bishop and then to cardinal, and in the latter capacity, he had written a Catholic critique of colonialism. He had initially supported the Reconstructionist regime, but as conditions in Angola worsened and promised reforms failed to materialize, he threw his weight in favor of the opposition.

The cardinal’s participation put the Novo Reino on the back foot: with the Church such an important underpinning of the state, such a high-ranking clergyman had to be handled with extreme care. It was April 1924 before the government decided to bite the bullet and arrest Dias, holding him in Luanda prison on charges of sedition. And when it did, its worst fears were realized: the people came out to demand his release despite the police who flooded the streets, and a general strike paralyzed the African ports.

It was at this point that Benedict intervened. Like Dias, he had originally given the Novo Reino the benefit of the doubt and had supported its social-justice initiatives in Portugal. But its oppressive conduct in Africa had met with his disapproval, and the arrest of a cardinal was the final straw. In June, he declared that the Reconstructionist regime no longer had the Church’s support and pledged to ordain no more priests or bishops anywhere in the Portuguese empire until Dias was released.

El Salvador had ignored an identical sanction imposed by Benedict’s predecessor [5], but the Novo Reino was not El Salvador: Catholicism was central to its legitimacy, and the withdrawal of Church support shattered its internal legitimacy. Portuguese churchgoers heard sermons against the regime every Sunday, and as rumors spread that Benedict might resort to the first interdiction of an entire nation since 1607, strikes and protests spread to Lisbon itself. Finally, on July 11, 1924, the colonial authorities were forced to back down, and Dias was released from prison to thunderous acclaim.

From that moment, the cardinal was effectively inviolate: he led protests with impunity, preached against Reconstructionist colonial policy in the Cathedral of the Holy Savior, and turned the cathedral into a gathering-place for dissidents. This in turn would lead to the Novo Reino recognizing that it could not subdue the African colonies with force alone. In 1925, it announced a plan to phase out forced labor over a ten-year period and to extend the social programs of the Portuguese state to Africa, including an ambitious school-construction project and subsidies to the Church charities that supported Congo-fever orphans. The following year, Portuguese universities were opened to African secondary-school graduates, and by decade’s end, there were small Afro-Portuguese communities in Lisbon and Coimbra.

These measures were far from enough for the rebels, who demanded that forced labor end immediately and that colonial subjects be granted self-government and equality under the law. An increasing number of troops and settler militiamen were tied up protecting the main roads and copper mines, and the army redoubled its efforts against the insurgents in the countryside. But at the same time, the government opened cautious negotiations with the African clergy in Angola and Mozambique, holding out the promise that each colony might become a Reconstructionist polity of its own with the local Church as a powerful pillar of the state. In 1929, Dias would lead a delegation of clergy and laity to a round table in Lisbon, at which a more comprehensive package of reforms would be on the table…

LeX7GI4.jpg

Dieter Lisimba, German Africa in the Twentieth Century (Berlin: Allgemeine, 2008)

… The 1920s in nearly every corner of German Africa are known as “the time when it changed,” although in no two parts of the empire were the changes the same.

The 1910s in South-West Africa had begun with the promise of wealth, fueled by the discovery of diamonds under the southern coastal strip. The find was expected to attract immigrants, and it did, both European (not all of them German) and African. Some returned home during the depression, when the colony’s main industries – diamonds and beef – suffered from lack of demand, but the recovery that began at the end of the decade brought the settlers back redoubled. Immigrants came from all corners of Europe and the New World, and Africans streamed in from the Copperbelt protectorates and from Matabeleland, where the Imperial Party’s ascendancy had ushered in a vicious colonial war. And they worked profound changes on South-West African society.

The South-West African colony had fallen into a feudal pattern during the nineteenth century, with landowning German taking African families as vassals and estate managers [6], and the colonial government reflected this arrangement. Each district had its Bauernkammer, of which all landowning heads of household were members, and these councils in turn elected representatives to the legislature in Windhoek. It was taken for granted, at the beginning, that the Europeans in the colony would all be either Bauern or administrators, and that the Africans – except for those like the Nama and Rehoboth Basters who had made deals for territorial autonomy – would be tied into the system through their feudal patrons.

But in the twentieth century, many Africans became Bauern, some through mixed marriage or adoption, and others through the freehold grants that had become common currency between German landowners and their high-ranking tenants. Military officers and senior noncoms could also choose land instead of a cash bonus when mustering out, and many did so. In 1920, about 20 percent of Bauernkammer members were non-European, with the figure in some northern districts being as high as a third – and many of the European immigrants who had come to work the diamond fields were not freeholders and thus without a direct voice in colonial affairs.

The call for greater democracy came first from these immigrants, and it was heavy with rhetoric about how white men should not be left out of councils in which black men were members, but the reforms would benefit Africans too. In 1924, the German government promulgated a new constitution for South-West Africa under which each district would have a two-house legislature with the Bauernkammer as the upper house and an elected lower house, and in which the colony as a whole would have a directly elected lower house alongside the indirectly elected senate. The franchise was subject to an alternative property or education qualification which about a quarter of the Africans could meet.

This was a form of government that somewhat resembled the nineteenth-century German states, and in Germany itself it would have been backward, but in the colony it was an advance. Africans outnumbered Europeans by enough to constitute most of the electorate even with a qualified franchise, and the Abgeordnetenhaus inaugurated in 1925 included 64 African members to 39 Germans. The Europeans would still hold the balance of power, both because the upper house was the more powerful one and because most Africans’ loyalties were still to their employers: the comfortable familial arrangements that had grown up since the 1880s had muted the ideological revolutions that had swept much of the rest of Africa. But the diamond miners, the upper African peasantry and the growing number of urban African professionals would ensure that the later 1920s and 1930s would be a time of modernization.

The growing importance of the diamond trade would also lead to greater cooperation between South-West Africa and the South African Union. Namaland, with its cultural ties to the Afrikaners, had been part of the union since its inception, but now the diamond companies and miners’ unions on both sides of the border wanted closer ties in order to protect prices. Negotiations for a joint marketing board had begun as early as 1911 before being cut short by the depression and the Imperial interregnum; they resumed again in 1923 after stability returned to South Africa, and in 1927, they bore fruit. The first meeting of the binational mining authority took place in January 1928, the same month that the Free Republic of Rehoboth, like Namaland before it, acceded to South Africa while remaining under German sovereignty…

… The collapse of the traditional monarchies in Barotseland and Kazembe had been a long time in coming. The Congo fever ravaged these kingdoms like no place else, even the Congo itself: traditional family structures in the Congo and Great Lakes were still strong, while the Copperbelt mining towns were full of transient single men and prostitutes. The effects of the disease broke down family patterns even further: many children would grow up as orphans, and the extended families that would have taken responsibility for them in other times were riddled with holes. Young men with money in their pockets disregarded established authorities; some became de facto chiefs and patrons of their villages, but others turned to crime. By the end of the 1910s, the capital cities of Kazembe and Barotseland were as dangerous as any Wild West town, and banditry in the hinterland strained the royal armies to the breaking point. [7]

In 1922, the king of Kazembe threw in the towel, asking the copper companies to train a modern police force such as they had built in the mining towns. Over the next several years, he, and the king of Barotseland with him, all but invited the Germans to take over the government. Both kingdoms remained nominally independent, but advisors from the mining companies and the German civil service held most of the portfolios in their governments and took over key military commands. By 1930, both were virtually unrecognizable: the kings and traditional chiefs had been shunted aside, and the new men of substance – Great War veterans and educated ex-miners – had become the mainstay of the new civil services and parliaments. The change was a wrenching one, but after the upheaval of the previous years, most of the people accepted it: the old law and order had broken down, so they were willing to give a fair chance to any system that promised to bring a new kind of law and order.

And, paradoxically, the social breakdown of the 1910s and early 1920s would lead to new development. Crime and banditry had led to the Copperbelt being viewed as a hardship posting, meaning that German workers were hard to entice and that there was even more of a need for skilled African labor. Many of the junior engineers were already African by 1920, and as the decade progressed, they moved into increasingly senior posts. In 1924, as well, a consortium of mining companies founded the Copperbelt Technical College, with former mining engineer Maria Skłodowska-Linder as its chancellor. African secondary graduates no longer had to go to Germany to study engineering and science, and the college would draw students from hundreds of miles around.

The Copperbelt in 1930 was still a land ravaged by fever, and much of the new governments’ efforts for decades to come would be occupied by public health. But law had returned, prosperity was growing, and the population was second only to the Malê in its level of education. The emphasis on science was feeding a futurist ethos that borrowed much from Verne and his successors, and the elected parliaments were asserting themselves more and more…

… Madagascar had sat out the Great War and passed from French to German overlordship with hardly a murmur. Aside from a few vanilla and coffee planters and a naval station at Toamasina, few Germans settled in the Merina kingdom, and the German resident in Antananarivo stayed out of its internal affairs. The kingdom even expanded during the 1910s when Germany ceded the directly-ruled colonies of Bara and Antandroy for administrative convenience, reserving land for a second port at Tôlanaro. All this time, the Merina state modernized quietly in the manner of a moderately progressive Indian princely state, remaining autocratic but creating a professional civil service and building large-scale public works.

This, too, came to a head in the 1920s. The children educated in the Merina schools had grown up, and some of them had gone to German universities, and they were discontented with living in an absolute monarchy. Prominent among them were the capital’s small community of Muslims, who made up only seven percent of the population but who corresponded widely with Islamic reformists around the world. The new middle class of Anatananarivo and Toamasina were also increasingly intolerant of official corruption and extortion, and wanted a voice in the kingdom’s affairs.

The Democratic Party of Madagascar, the first political party in the nation, held its inaugural convention in 1925, and like the early All-India Reform Congress, was an eclectic collection of reformers and dissidents. The party was deeply factionalized, and not all its members wanted full democracy, but it provided a forum to criticize the monarchy and a base to organize against it. The monarchy at times flirted with banning the party and at other times with co-opting it: the king announced anti-corruption drives and prosecuted some particularly grasping officials, but refused to permit an elected legislature.

The dissidents could do little about this at first: they were an elite movement with little mass support, and had not yet reached the point where they could mobilize the people for change. But in 1929, a strike erupted among the plantation workers, which would embroil both the Democratic Party and the German trade unions before all was said and done…

… Kamerun, Ubangi-Shari and the German Congo stood, as they always had, in sharp contrast to the better-run colonies further south. Their main industries were rubber and forestry, and although the brutal days of wild-rubber harvesting were over, both were still labor-intensive and dependent on a ready supply of low-paid workers. All were also considered hardship posts for German civil servants, so much of the administration was left in the hands of concessionaires who considered the local population a resource to exploit. Except for a small elite group that had gained civil rights through education in Germany or service in the German military, forced labor and arbitrary justice – up to and including summary execution – were facts of daily life.

The pre-state peoples of these regions, weakened further by the Congo fever, were unable to organize an effective rebellion, although there were several futile ones. Those discontented with their lot, and there were many, had traditionally voted with their feet, fleeing to Gabon, to the N'Délé protectorate or even to the International Congo. But by 1920, other channels were opening. Mission schools, both those run openly by German Lutherans and Catholics and those operated underground by Carlsenists and prophetic Ibadis, had educated many children in the back country, and some of them had managed to go on to German universities. It would be one of them, Karl-Johan Nsilou, who would shock the German public with the exposé Blood of the Forests.

Nsilou was a child of the Great War, born during the tumultuous year of 1895. The German missionaries who set up shop in his village saw promise in him and sponsored him for secondary school and college in Berlin. He returned in 1916 as a civil servant, holding several administrative posts in Douala, back-country Kamerun and the forestry districts of Ubangi-Shari. For more than a decade, he surreptitiously documented the concessionaires’ abuses, collecting documents and taking secret photographs. In 1927, he quit the civil service and moved to Berlin, where he compiled his notes and found a left-wing publishing house to print them.

Blood of the Forests has been compared to Mamadou Camara’s Congo trilogy [8] in its effect on the European public. The remoteness of the central African colonies had kept them largely out of the public consciousness, and Germans were shocked to learn that the practices in parts of these colonies rivaled those of the prewar Congo. And by coincidence – fortunate or otherwise – the publication of Nsilou’s book happened at the same time as the largest uprising yet to occur in this region, a massive revolt in the Ubangi-Shari fueled by East African arms. Rather than silently approving while the Schutztruppe crushed the revolt, leftist and even centrist newspapers asked whether the rebels were exercising their natural rights.

By early 1928, the colonial troops – many of them recruited from Barotseland and Kazembe – did put the uprising down. But the fact-finding mission that followed in the wake of the troops led to abolition of the concession system and its replacement by direct administration. This was a long way from democracy or legal equality, but German Central Africa would enter the 1930s as a place governed by law, and that would open the door to other reforms…

_______

[1] See post 3545.

[2] See post 3196.

[3] See post 3570.

[4] See post 3108.

[5] See post 3665.

[6] See post 932.

[7] See post 3196.

[8] See post 1059.

Yay for Germany doing colonialism (mostly) right! Sounds like they've been taking note of the Imperial's example of How Not To Do It.

Hnau

Banned
I love how Europeans are so much more invested in their African colonies and the Africans in their colonies in this timeline. I mean, while the Imperialists are an outlier, and the Novo Reino wasn't too nice at first, it seems like at least for the French and German parts of Africa, a lot is being done to give colonialism a second chance, a make-over of sorts. I doubt it will last, but many of these developments will probably help the regions they are in to a degree more than European colonialism did in our timeline, at the very least.

The last update was awesome. I enjoy your narratives immensely, but the straight-up description of events over a decade or two in certain parts of the world is delightfully fast-paced. :)

The family tree of the Abacars was also very cool. That fictional family is close to my heart. :) I'm very glad Paulo the Elder came to be in this world, and I wish he had in our own. Sometimes you just need a hero to shake things up with a radical new ideology...

Last edited:
A couple more comments: Did we ever see how the business in South Africa ended? I don't recall what the last update on that entailed.

Ooh, tantalizing hints about the Venezuelan wars happening in the mid-20s. A revanchist invasion of Guyana, perhaps?

I can't see a Venezuelan invasion of Guyana lasting for five years. More likely it's some kind of civil war. That would explain the Papal involvement; the Church would probably be acting as some kind of neutral arbiter. I suppose it's possible for both to be true; a failed invasion leads to civil war.

Sulemain

Banned
An interesting update, particular with regard to the college in the Copperbelt. As I recall, in OTL by comparison, there were 4 University Graduates in The Congo when it achieved independence.

Just a brief note before going to work:

My track record at predicting how this world evolves is pretty terrible! But it looks to me now like Germany has stumbled or slipped into the role I once envisioned for Britain, when I was optimistic the Brits could manage to muddle through in a civilized fashion.

The key to the "cup half full" world here seems broadly to be the decentralization and dispersal of power--political power vaguely inspired by French Revolutionary "rights of man" (and woman!) led to a wider spread of economic power--Hobsbawm's "dual revolutions of the 19th century" (political and industrial) leapfrogging into what OTL was the colonial/Third World regions. My once-hope for the British Empire was that many of these colonial Second World regions would be under the Crown--West Africa, India, stronger development of South Africa and Australasia. Indeed those regions were more developed and are more democratic now, but Britain has lost or is losing leadership over them.

The Germans have not set out with any strongly inspired project to develop the colonies they expanded into as pre-Great War acquisitions or post-war spoils, but by responding in a more or less responsible manner to the challenges and opportunities of holding them, have positioned themselves, if they don't blow it in their turn, to draw South Africa at any rate into their orbit, and possibly Zanzibar as well. If they don't screw it up Africa south of the Equator seems quite likely to develop considerably more than OTL, with a pattern of strong industrial development hand in hand with political liberalism in certain core regions, and consensual, non-imperialistic drawing in of a lot of the rest of the population, resulting in a spectrum from First-world standards in the centers to almost undisturbed traditional life (but with access, without oppression, to what amenities they can afford) on the periphery. The value to the metropolitan German nation should be considerable, and will draw increasing attention in Berlin. (Hence the danger of screw-ups!)

I still see some dark clouds looming on the horizon--namely that Germany is rapidly moving to become the premier world power mainly by means of internal and African development, whereas Britain is in crisis--any Socialist-Labourite movement is going to have an even tougher row to hoe to gain credibility than Britain OTL did after WWII. France might avoid ugly crisis by her adaptation to pragmatic socialism, or might not.

I must go soon but there's plenty more to muse on, such as the roles of the Ottoman realm and the USA as well as Japan, China, Russia and related Central Asian lands, and the likely course of things in Latin America.

The shaping of the Catholic church into a "street fighter church" as you put is a very interesting development. It will mean the lay will feel like their voice matters more TTL than OTL. Sounds like the respect for the church will stay high for the time being (to the modern day seems like a bit of a stretch, but that would be interesting too).
I'm curious to see what's about to emerge in Madagascar. Will they pull a Baroda? Or perhaps a Gwalior?
Will there be an update on the global background and effects of Congo Fever, because I know its TTL's HIV/AIDS, and that its made its presence known, but it hasn't been discussed in depth yet.
Great Update!

The Catholic Church is continuing to be a progressive force, hopefully it remains that way for a great length of time. But for every action there is an inevitable reaction, which El Salvador demonstrates.

Unlike Portugal, which had it's hand forced by the Church, Germany looks to have learned you need to invest in infrastructure if you want to keep your colonies. Obviously its claims in Africa can't go toe to toe with its forces like India, but I'm sure it was a frightening example of what can happen. Hopefully they continue down this route and when decolonization does come it's more on the peaceful side with perhaps an international organization or even some form of federation emerging from it. Congo still has a long way to go of course, but like you mentioned earlier about the joking possibility of it suing itself into liberation...:p

I undesrtood that it's more complicated and related to political expediency in some places and, in principle, to some sort of assimilation to "French" culture (whatever it may mean in a context where Senegal and Gabon are integral parts of France; not that Metropolitan France isn't very diverse in itself, but IOTL there has been a very consistent trend to underplay this diversity for a couple of centuries at least).

Here you go, Post 663 aka "Installment #55: France, the Toucouleur, and the Congo in the 1870s" It was formalized by Napoleon IV, known as "Plon-Plon" to the snarky but a man of much liberal good intention; Latin Right is not restricted to veterans but can include them. If you read the earlier French-related posts you can see how the background of the Emperor championing such a principle developed--note that at the same time as he proposed Latin Right for the entire Empire, he nationalized (and enfranchised) the entire nation of Senegal--they all have Latin Right! Because Senegal is integral to France, you see.

Shevek23 found the correct link. There are two ways for French colonial subjects to get citizenship: the first is military service, which confers citizenship on the soldier and his family, and the second is the Latin Right, which enfranchises the "leading men" of the colonies. The term "leading men" can apply to kings, nobles, chiefs, elected officials (where there are elections), educated professionals or substantial businessmen. Politics and bribery had (and to some extent continue to have) a lot to do with who got citizenship; the designation of "leading men" was initially in the discretion of the colonial governors, and although there's now supposed to be a uniform standard, there's still a lot of room for strict or liberal interpretation.

In Senegal, and latterly Gabon and Algeria, the entire population is enfranchised. Theory is fairly close to practice in Senegal, getting there in Gabon, but not so much in Algeria: as the saying goes, an Algerian in Paris and a Parisian in Algiers are Frenchmen.

Yay for Germany doing colonialism (mostly) right! Sounds like they've been taking note of the Imperial's example of How Not To Do It.

Emphasis on the "mostly." Germany was at the very least negligent, and more likely corrupt, in letting the concessionaire system in Central Africa go on for so long (although, to be fair, this was pretty much the way France ran that region in OTL). And the mining companies are developing the Copperbelt in order to exploit its resources more efficiently. They didn't build the technical college out of the goodness of their hearts; they did so because they needed mining engineers. A lot of the profits from the copper mines are being expatriated. Again, OTL Zambia is a partial model - it had fairly good educational and physical infrastructure at the time of independence, for similar reasons.

Once real self-government arrives, though, Kazembe is potentially one of the richest countries in Africa, and an educated, future-oriented population will give it a good grounding.

I love how Europeans are so much more invested in their African colonies and the Africans in their colonies in this timeline. I mean, while the Imperialists are an outlier, and the Novo Reino wasn't too nice at first, it seems like at least for the French and German parts of Africa, a lot is being done to give colonialism a second chance, a make-over of sorts. I doubt it will last, but many of these developments will probably help the regions they are in to a degree more than European colonialism did in our timeline, at the very least.

For the most part, it won't last, because colonial status isn't stable in the long term - the colonized people will want either independence or equal citizenship in the mother country, and the very reforms that make a colony well-run are inevitably steps in one direction or another. I'll say that France won't be the only country with DOMs, but most of Africa will become independent.

The Novo Reino still isn't all that nice - the reforms on the table as of 1930 involve making the colonies into corporatist semi-theocracies rather than democratic self-government - but it's now committed to bringing Africans into the system, and it will evolve further.

A couple more comments: Did we ever see how the business in South Africa ended? I don't recall what the last update on that entailed.

Ooh, tantalizing hints about the Venezuelan wars happening in the mid-20s. A revanchist invasion of Guyana, perhaps?

I can't see a Venezuelan invasion of Guyana lasting for five years. More likely it's some kind of civil war. That would explain the Papal involvement; the Church would probably be acting as some kind of neutral arbiter. I suppose it's possible for both to be true; a failed invasion leads to civil war.

We'll see what happened to South Africa in the next update.

It's "the Venezuelan wars," in the plural; no single war will last five years, but the series of conflicts will. And more than Guyana will be involved.

An interesting update, particular with regard to the college in the Copperbelt. As I recall, in OTL by comparison, there were 4 University Graduates in The Congo when it achieved independence.

I've seen various numbers for the Belgian Congo, going up to about 30, but that's still a ridiculous number for a colony that size. One of the better things about British and French colonialism in OTL was that higher education was widely available; Belgium never made that investment until the very end.

My track record at predicting how this world evolves is pretty terrible! But it looks to me now like Germany has stumbled or slipped into the role I once envisioned for Britain, when I was optimistic the Brits could manage to muddle through in a civilized fashion.

The key to the "cup half full" world here seems broadly to be the decentralization and dispersal of power--political power vaguely inspired by French Revolutionary "rights of man" (and woman!) led to a wider spread of economic power--Hobsbawm's "dual revolutions of the 19th century" (political and industrial) leapfrogging into what OTL was the colonial/Third World regions. My once-hope for the British Empire was that many of these colonial Second World regions would be under the Crown--West Africa, India, stronger development of South Africa and Australasia. Indeed those regions were more developed and are more democratic now, but Britain has lost or is losing leadership over them.

I wouldn't entirely count Britain out yet. As you say, the key does lie in dispersal of power and promotion of individual rights, and both of those will inevitably lead to a "loss of leadership" by the imperial powers over their colonies. This applies to Germany, France and Portugal - and to Italy, with its holdings in Tunisia and southeastern Eritrea - no less than to Britain: they'll eventually have to concede the equality of their dominions in one way or another, or else lose them.

And though Britain has been taught a bloody lesson by the Republic of India, it will continue to have a profound cultural and economic legacy there as well as in other colonies. It still has a foothold in southern India, and a rapprochement (under a suitably de-Imperialized government, of course) may eventually happen. All of which is by way of saying that no empire's future is set in stone at this point, and that a commonwealth of ex-British possessions is not out of the question.

The Germans have not set out with any strongly inspired project to develop the colonies they expanded into as pre-Great War acquisitions or post-war spoils, but by responding in a more or less responsible manner to the challenges and opportunities of holding them, have positioned themselves, if they don't blow it in their turn, to draw South Africa at any rate into their orbit, and possibly Zanzibar as well.

Although there's also pull the other way: South Africa doesn't outweigh Germany, but it does outweigh the German colonies that are its immediate neighbors, and the Afrikaner cultural elements in South-West Africa will be pulled toward South Africa rather than vice versa. There certainly appears to be a German-South African partnership in the works, assuming that neither side stumbles, but which one will be dominant on a regional scale is still in question. Not to mention that a South African-German partnership can potentially coexist with a South African-British partnership.

All I'll say now is: expect things to be complicated.

The shaping of the Catholic church into a "street fighter church" as you put is a very interesting development. It will mean the lay will feel like their voice matters more TTL than OTL. Sounds like the respect for the church will stay high for the time being (to the modern day seems like a bit of a stretch, but that would be interesting too).

I'm curious to see what's about to emerge in Madagascar. Will they pull a Baroda? Or perhaps a Gwalior?

Will there be an update on the global background and effects of Congo Fever, because I know its TTL's HIV/AIDS, and that its made its presence known, but it hasn't been discussed in depth yet.

The voice of the laity will matter more, possibly even at the highest levels. This will be a more populist Church than OTL, with various forms of liberation theology more widespread, although it will also remain an intellectual church; there will be philosopher-popes like John Paul II.

We'll see what happens in Madagascar in a future update, although probably not a Gwalior; Germany isn't as distracted as Britain was during the Great War, so an outright revolution in a client state would likely be a step too far. A palace coup prompted by pressure from outside, on the other hand...

I've been discussing the Congo fever in the places where its effects have been felt, but a global update at some point in the 20s or 30s might be a good idea, and can include effects in the regions outside the main story. I'll think about it.

The Catholic Church is continuing to be a progressive force, hopefully it remains that way for a great length of time. But for every action there is an inevitable reaction, which El Salvador demonstrates.

And also, some of the economically progressive movements within the Church are illiberal, although with the Catholic Liberals becoming increasingly mainstream and the Mexican Catholic left providing an example, that's starting to change.

Unlike Portugal, which had it's hand forced by the Church, Germany looks to have learned you need to invest in infrastructure if you want to keep your colonies. Obviously its claims in Africa can't go toe to toe with its forces like India, but I'm sure it was a frightening example of what can happen. Hopefully they continue down this route and when decolonization does come it's more on the peaceful side with perhaps an international organization or even some form of federation emerging from it. Congo still has a long way to go of course, but like you mentioned earlier about the joking possibility of it suing itself into liberation...:p

India is certainly a cautionary example. Although different colonial powers are taking different lessons from it, nobody wants to lose their colonies the way the Imperials did, and with the Philippines, the Rif and India all winning independence, they'll know that such a thing is possible. At the very least, they'll pay more attention to the voices of the people, having learned the potential price of not doing so.

Decolonization will be peaceful in many places, but not so much in others, and as in OTL, the period after independence will be a very tricky one to navigate.

The idea of a common Afrikaner partnership that includes the Basters and Griquas will also be important ITTL. There are Boers all over the place that didn't quite get around as much IOTL; notably the clan that ended up in Mutapa with the Shona, but that same update about Fourie's Trek mentioned Boers in Katanga and Matabeleland. There are probably a few in the Copperbelt, since South Africa and the Germans are cozying up to each other.