Malê Rising

The character, not the work. As far as I can tell having read Padmarag in English translation, the author identifies both with the namesake character and with the real protagonist -which is Tarini IMHO, not Padmarag- and your Sarah shows features of both. That's why I conflated her with Begum Sakhawat - though the Begum I had in mind was heavily filtered through her characters. This would have caused a scientific paper containing such a conflation to be rejected. (heck, I guess I just sort of raped English syntax here :eek:).

Falecius... your username sounds oddly familiar. Were/are you on the UtopiaUcronia mailing list?

Yes. I am still there, though that mailing list is rather quiet at this moment.

You're really that Falecius, then. I don't go there anymore, for reasons that go from "AH.com doesn't slaughter so many butterflies nor it unleashes so many alien space bats" to "UtopiaUcronia seemed even more conservative than the official website of the Holy See". I could be spouting bullshit, though... back then, I was more or less 14, and the opinion of a depressed middle schooler isn't that objective. :D Not that the opinion of a depressed, nearly suicidal university student is much better... ;)

Hrm. But note how terrible the Tata Group's financing was, and how hostile British capital was to it initially. This is still a pretty big change.

Absolutely. The war is affecting colonial industries in several ways: not only is it giving the obsolete factories of Sokoto and Adamawa some breathing space to modernize and allowing the Indians to get into the industrial game, but it's also giving them access to capital they'd never have had otherwise. The government is throwing money at any business that can gear up for war production and is encouraging private investors to do likewise, which means that - at least for a couple of years - investing in Africa or India will be considered patriotic. The factories in Ilorin that are already geared to naval production will be especially favored - Ilorin will come out of the war substantially more developed than it went in - but they'll all benefit from Britain's unpreparedness.

As I've mentioned, though, this will have its downside - foreign investment means foreign ownership, and not all the wartime industries will be readily convertible to civilian uses.

BTW, the French government will also be investing in the existing factories on the upper Niger and developing new ones in Senegal, but those industries are at a much earlier stage and will take more effort to modernize. France also isn't in as dire need as Britain - at least for now.

The character, not the work. As far as I can tell having read Padmarag in English translation, the author identifies both with the namesake character and with the real protagonist -which is Tarini IMHO, not Padmarag- and your Sarah shows features of both. That's why I conflated her with Begum Sakhawat - though the Begum I had in mind was heavily filtered through her characters.

I'll have to read this book now. Thanks for making me aware of it - I was marginally aware of Begum Sakhawat as an Islamic feminist, but not as an author.

And on another subject, I promised myself I wouldn't campaign for Malê Rising in the New 19th Century poll - and I won't - but there's currently one vote separating Paulo Abacar from Andreas Komnenos in the running for Best New Character. I wouldn't say no to a couple more votes there, assuming anyone thinks they're merited.

You're really that Falecius, then. I don't go there anymore, for reasons that go from "AH.com doesn't slaughter so many butterflies nor it unleashes so many alien space bats" to "UtopiaUcronia seemed even more conservative than the official website of the Holy See". I could be spouting bullshit, though... back then, I was more or less 14, and the opinion of a depressed middle schooler isn't that objective. :D Not that the opinion of a depressed, nearly suicidal university student is much better... ;)

Probably IT IS better. But leave the "nearly suicidal" bit alone; there is almost nothing that deserves such extreme measures, and I am telling it with some first hand knowledge about depression.
However, we're derailing this thread. Feel free to PM or email me if you need to.

I'll have to read this book now. Thanks for making me aware of it - I was marginally aware of Begum Sakhawat as an Islamic feminist, but not as an author.

From my perspective, Sakhawat deserves more interest as a writer than as an activist - though both sides were closely related in her activity. "Sultana's Dream" is her most famous work, probably because it was originally written in English - it is short, it is available for free on Internet, and it is amazingly good read, especially if you remember it is the work of a Bengali Muslim woman in 1906 - it is usually considered a Feminist utopia, but it's not only that.
"Padmarag" is different - it is a novel to begin with. I found both works in a Penguin Classics volume, but Padmarag is translated from Bengali, which has to be taken into account. The translation I read is quite good, I think, but I don't know Bengali to begin with.
Anyway, the novel IS interesting. There's feminism, there's Indian interconfessional nationalism, there's Bengali regional pride, there's a well written tale (the basic plot is based on folktales I suppose), there's utopia.
It is not Tess or Kokoro but it is a good read.

Last edited:
From my perspective, Sakhawat deserves more interest as a writer than as an activist - though both sides were closely related in her activity... There's feminism, there's Indian interconfessional nationalism, there's Bengali regional pride, there's a well written tale (the basic plot is based on folktales I suppose), there's utopia. It is not Tess or Kokoro but it is a good read.

Interesting. As you're aware, I sometimes post excerpts of in-universe literary works, and it's likely that the kind of Islamic feminism that Sakhawat practiced - which is more prominent in TTL than in OTL - might inspire some of TTL's authors. The discussion of her work has given me some ideas for an in-universe novel set against the background of West African politics, colonialism and emerging feminism. The Yoruba, who are near the center of the cultural shifts and who are divided between recently-Islamized and recently-Christianized camps, would be a good setting for such a tale, and there are folktale backgrounds that would work very well. I think we'll all see a chapter from a 1910 novel by one of the Abacar daughters - after all, with Nana Asma'u in the family, they already have literary women as ancestors.

In other words, a process similar to what led to Afrikaans being declared a separate language in South Africa? Something like that could happen, although on the other hand the German-speaking world was very literate, and standard German would be the medium of both the schools and the newspapers. There might be emphasis on local folk traditions which would include spoken dialects, but I doubt that many people would want to codify a different written language and risk cutting themselves off from German intellectual discourse.
Yes, I was thinking similar to Afrikaans in the case of Swiss German or Alsatian German as an eventual possibility far down the line, or perhaps something like Luxembourg's enshrinement of their own dialect would be a better example, although I agree that this process faces a lot of hurdles in the form of the high literacy in standard high german in all those areas. At most, I could expect a few word choices in Baden & Wurttemburg being consciously different from the rest of Germany, making the dialect/accent a little more distinct but not to any large degree. Think more regional dialects of English in that case. What I meant to speculate in my earlier post was that perhaps less formal, and as a result less standard in rural areas, German may not be as frowned upon in certain circumstances in that region. While it would certainly not be a majority or even a large minority, especially in academia, a little development towards, say, using the local dialect of german in some pulp or children's fiction might help to develop some standardized forms of transcribing the local spoken dialect. Since the borders between languages and dialects are rarely clear, the main divisions are usually the existence of difficulty in understanding with related dialects, a different written tradition and especially a difference in national or cultural borders. Alsace and Switzerland already have two out of those three, lacking a clear and standardized written form to base anything off of. A little development towards building some regional dialect influence in literature could help to develop writing conventions in those dialects.

That said, this is all hypothetical possibilities. I can picture a possible future of the TL, obviously depending on political and cultural realities over the next decades, where Swiss and Alsatians, their own nation or as a part of France, try to distinguish themselves from the rest of the Germans and some Alemannish influence in literature in this time might help them draw a clearer line between them by developing a basis for future differentiation of written tradition, since Swiss German is about as mutually intelligible with High German as some of the closer Romance or Scandinavian languages are. I'd imagine that even in this case there would be a strong debate about the status of the two dialects, but the debate might be a little more even or leaning towards the "(barely) separate languages" side in such a situation. Probably would not emerge unless Germany and Switzerland have some sort of falling out even.

But feel free to ignore this. Just speculation from a linguistic nerd that's always been too interested in Swiss German.

And on another subject, I promised myself I wouldn't campaign for Malê Rising in the New 19th Century poll - and I won't - but there's currently one vote separating Paulo Abacar from Andreas Komnenos in the running for Best New Character. I wouldn't say no to a couple more votes there, assuming anyone thinks they're merited.

I already voted in all the categories where I'd actually read at least one of the stories involved--there's still a whole lot where I don't know any of the nominees!:eek:

I voted for just one story I am not familiar with, based on my trust that if it is by that author, it has to be good.

It's very classy of you not to competitively campaign, but I often miss new threads being launched, perhaps you should mention it when you do?:)

So anyway I can't help change the outcomes in any competitions you are in since I already voted there!

I certainly urge anyone who hasn't voted in the new categories of characters (and PODs, and Quotes) to do so!

And now I see I have about four threads you've started just recently to catch up on.

Yes, I was thinking similar to Afrikaans in the case of Swiss German or Alsatian German as an eventual possibility far down the line, or perhaps something like Luxembourg's enshrinement of their own dialect would be a better example, although I agree that this process faces a lot of hurdles in the form of the high literacy in standard high german in all those areas. At most, I could expect a few word choices in Baden & Wurttemburg being consciously different from the rest of Germany, making the dialect/accent a little more distinct but not to any large degree. Think more regional dialects of English in that case. What I meant to speculate in my earlier post was that perhaps less formal, and as a result less standard in rural areas, German may not be as frowned upon in certain circumstances in that region. While it would certainly not be a majority or even a large minority, especially in academia, a little development towards, say, using the local dialect of german in some pulp or children's fiction might help to develop some standardized forms of transcribing the local spoken dialect. Since the borders between languages and dialects are rarely clear, the main divisions are usually the existence of difficulty in understanding with related dialects, a different written tradition and especially a difference in national or cultural borders. Alsace and Switzerland already have two out of those three, lacking a clear and standardized written form to base anything off of. A little development towards building some regional dialect influence in literature could help to develop writing conventions in those dialects.

So you're thinking, in other words, that TTL's Germany may end up somewhat like OTL Norway, which has two standard versions of the written language (one of them a nationalist project based on western dialects) and in which regional spoken dialects are protected as part of the national heritage. I could see that happening, if circumstances are right. Certainly, if Baden and Württemberg are trying to promote distinct national cultures, this would include folktales and songs, which are more likely to be in local dialect than other forms of literature. This might lead to more preservation of the local dialect in speech, while more subtle differences might persist in the written language due to widespread use of the folk-literature in public discourse.

If the FARs win the war, then these differences will only be accentuated over time. If the BOGs win, then it could go one of two ways - the new German Empire might try to suppress local dialects, or it could promote them as a harmless way of placating its new provinces. Most of this will likely take place offstage, but I'll think it through eventually, because it will impact how the African dialects of German are treated - the German language in Africa will pick up loanwords much as Dutch/Afrikaans did in South Africa or English in Australia, and imperial language policy would impact how these dialects develop.

I voted for just one story I am not familiar with, based on my trust that if it is by that author, it has to be good.

It's very classy of you not to competitively campaign, but I often miss new threads being launched, perhaps you should mention it when you do?:)

I appreciate the trust. For the record, all four of my active timelines have been nominated (this one, Stories from a Divided Haiti, Nobles Lament and Ten Quintillion AD) as well as nominations for quote and character. Someone also nominated one of my map contest entries, although for the life of me I can't imagine why - it was a fun map, but not even in the same league as what Blomma, Kaiphranos or Horatius Cocles do.

I'm actually kind of interested in seeing what you think of the Haitian timeline (or, more accurately, story collection), since its loose inspiration is a book of stories by an author who I assume, from your username, is one of your favorites.

Unto the third generation, July 1893

x42P7ZX.jpg

The shore loomed ahead in the twilight, low forested hills rising above a village. A few late fishing boats were still out, and Paulo’s dugout, looking for all the world like one of them, moved easily among them.

Somewhere nearby, Paulo knew, there were six others. They’d left the opposite shore together early that morning, but they’d taken separate courses across the lake just in case the French gunboat was out. No French captain would give a lone fishing boat a second glance, but seven together would draw suspicion, and Paulo couldn’t hope to match the gunboat on the open water.

But it hadn’t been out – that much of what Dimbele had told him was true – and for now his greatest worry was that all the boats would find the meeting-place. He could feel his troops’ tension easing as they saw the shoreline and knew that they wouldn’t find graves at the bottom of the lake; he saw one of them throw a pinch of tobacco into the water, an offering to the lake-goddess Mkangualukulu. He pretended not to see; the man was nominally Muslim, but he’d learned that Islam here was often a thin veneer over the old folk religion.

A few minutes more and they pulled up on the beach, grounding the dugout where the villagers had moored theirs. If things were as they should be, Dimbele would be in the village with twenty men, to guide Paulo’s troops to where the French boat was anchored. If things weren’t as they should be…

The relief Paulo had felt at the successful crossing drained out of him as if it had never been there. If this were a trap, he was doomed – he might be able to warn off the rest of his men, but he and the boatload who’d come with him were done for.

The village was just ahead, and they made their way to it nervously, starting at the shadows thrown by flickering cook-fires. But there, in the center of the huts, was Dimbele, grinning broadly and accompanied by sixteen warriors. Paulo’s weeks of careful diplomacy, and far too many dangerous lake crossings, had borne fruit.

“You made it!” Dimbele called in the Swahili dialect that served as a traders’ tongue on both sides of the lake.

“Some of us,” Paulo replied in the same language; it was still rough going for him, but he could speak it after a fashion, and he was coming along in Ibembe besides. “We got here first; there are six more boats coming, if they all make it.” A noise from the shore signaled that one of them had arrived.

“Nothing to do but wait, then,” Dmbele said. “Have some urwagwa while they get here.”

Paulo accepted the drink; he hadn’t yet developed a taste for banana beer, but it would be impolite for even one of his religion to refuse. He sipped carefully – urwagwa was potent, and he would need a clear head tonight – but as Dimbele had told him, there was nothing to do but wait.

He looked east, past the huts and beach to the calm water, scanning for the other boats. The scene seemed unreal to him, but these days everything did. Even after six months in Tanganyika, he still sometimes felt that he was in a dream, that he would wake up and laugh at the thought of being responsible for the defense of an entire region.

“District officers need to be everything,” Professor Hardwick had said, a lifetime ago in London. “Governor, diplomat, policeman, engineer - a master of all trades, because there may be no one else around to practice them.” Paulo had listened and noted the words down dutifully, but he’d never expected to need them so soon. He certainly hadn’t expected to be hustled off to Tanganyika before his probationary training was even complete, and given a post at the outer edge of nowhere. He had his suspicions about who had arranged that, but if that person had thought to send him somewhere out of danger, he hadn’t succeeded.

The Kigoma District, like most in Anglo-Omani Tanganyika, had three rulers. There was the nominal lord, an Indian merchant who’d been ennobled in exchange for equipping one of the Sultan’s regiments – he lived in Zanzibar, had never been to the district, and had little interest there other than collecting the profits. There was the headman who managed things day to day. And there was Paulo – the British resident, the one who governed by default, the one the people had learned to come to if the Sultan’s tax collectors were oppressive or the local courts gave no justice. The district officers before him had cultivated that role very deliberately, as a tactic to increase British influence at the Sultan’s expense, but that didn’t make it any less real.

Paulo had learned, yes, he’d learned – he’d been taught the rudiments of the language already, and the professors in London had grounded him in Tanganyika’s history and cultures, but he’d had to learn governing and mediating as he went along, with only his memories of his father as a guide. And then the war had come.

He suspected that nobody much had thought of Lake Tanganyika as a place where the war might be fought, but they were wrong. On the other side of the lake from his district – the side where he was standing now, waiting for his other dugouts – was the Congo. It was neutral and under international rule, in theory. In fact, since the member states of the international governing board had stopped cooperating, it had fallen to cantons and warlord rule – governors, garrison commanders, rubber barons, African mercenaries displaced from the Great Lakes wars, all had staked their claims. And the garrison immediately across from Paulo was French.

There were rumors that the French commander had greater ambitions – that he was gathering all the allied forces in the region, that he planned to attack the North German governor Dietmar Köhler in Sud-Kivu, or that he planned to join forces with Köhler and persuade him to go warlord. What wasn’t a rumor was that the Frenchmen had a gunboat – brought there, originally, to terrorize the local villagers into meeting their rubber quotas – and that they’d used it to attack the Anglo-Omani side. There had been raids and disappearances; there were dark rumors that the French soldiers were kidnapping villagers to do forced labor for their war effort; there were people starting to flee the district and fields left untended.

The Omanis hadn’t been prepared for this war; they expected that, if they had to fight at all, they’d fight along the Ethiopian border or against the Portuguese in Mozambique, and their available troops were concentrated there. The aging Sultan didn’t have anyone he could send to protect against raids in outlying districts, and wouldn’t for some time, so while he marshaled his forces, he commissioned every British district officer as a colonel in his army and authorized them to raise troops.

A colonel – Paulo was still amused that he ranked so highly at twenty-one, and that in fact he had the same rank as his father. But taking down a French gunboat when he had nothing but dugouts was no game. He’d raised a company of men from his district, and he’d offered land and money to a troop of Rwandan Muslim exiles and another of Congolese Mormons – he too could take advantage of the chaos in the eastern Congo – but the real keystone of his defense had been his surreptitious crossings of the lake, his meetings with the headmen on this side, and the agreements that had led Dimbele to meet him here tonight.

Agreements that won’t be worth anything if my own troops don’t come. Five boatloads had arrived now after making landfall at points up and down the coast; the chatter from the beach said that a sixth had arrived. But there was no sign of the seventh, no excited men running into their camp to report its arrival at some other village. Had it been stopped and apprehended? Did the Frenchmen know he was coming?

He couldn’t wait any longer. “We need to go now,” he said to Dimbele, and hoped that the six boatloads – a hundred and fourteen men – would be enough to do the job.

“I know,” Dimbele answered, already waving his own men up from where they were seated. “And knowledge without action is arrogance, so we go.”

The Bembe soldier was smiling – he knew whose favorite saying that was, and knew Paulo’s connection to that person. They’d heard of Paulo the Elder here, albeit through the lens of Tippu Tip’s prophecy and overlaid with a helping of folk religion, and his name was one of the things that had made them so ready to fight the French garrison. Sometimes the younger Paulo had a powerful sense of living in a world his grandfather had made, although surely there were far larger forces at work here.

The gunboat, according to Dimbele, was anchored six miles to the south – they couldn’t land closer for fear of discovery – and at night, there were sentries but not patrols. It would be a tough march, and they’d likely arrive after midnight, but they had nothing to fear besides the jungle. Paulo’s men followed as the Bembe led them down trails that barely existed, through undergrowth and patches of wild rubber, with the animals of the forest canopy making eerie sounds in the darkness.

Paulo had lost all sense of time when he saw a signal from Dimbele – be quiet. They must be coming close now. If they could silence the sentry quickly and overwhelm the garrison before it could react…

But then, from the south, there came the worst sound possible: the noise of gunfire. The seventh boat. It must have landed almost at the very place where the gunboat was, and the Frenchmen must have seen it. And now they knew he was coming, and worse yet, they had some of his men pinned down.

There was no use for silence anymore, and Paulo urged his men into a run. He could see a cleared area ahead, and knew that the French were close at hand; his only hope of saving his men was to get in fast.

There was a sentry post near the edge of the clearing. Earlier that night, there had been four men there, but all but one had left to join the fighting on the other side of the camp. The one man left had just time to call a warning before Dimbele shot him down. He fell abruptly, gouting blood, and Paulo realized that he’d never seen a man shot. His father was right – it was something that all the telling in the world couldn’t prepare him for.

The last two hundred yards to the French camp passed in a blur. The men still in the camp were firing, and battle was joined; Paulo saw some of his men fall, and hoped that their return fire was affecting the Frenchmen similarly. And then they were inside. There was a knot of French soldiers firing from a makeshift shed; Paulo shouted to his men and charged for the door. He broke through it with his rifle butt, and swung the bayonet around to face the closest one. The man lunged at him, but he parried with his rifle; he stepped inside the Frenchman’s reach and stabbed him in the gut. The soldier folded over Paulo’s bayonet, shrieking in pain, and Paulo was suddenly and violently sick.

He recovered quickly – there was no choice – and looked around to see that the knot had been cleared. He urged his men onward; it was plain that the fighting was on the south side of the camp, and that the bulk of the French troops were there. He passed through the rest of the camp with only scattered resistance, and the sounds of the firefight grew louder, when Dimbele suddenly waved him to a halt.

“Listen,” the Bembe said. Paulo gestured for silence, and did so; there was the sound of rifles, and a faster-paced staccato noise.

“Maxims,” Dimbele explained. “Two of them.”

WVK8Ahj.jpg

Paulo understood all too well. The French had Maxim guns; they were pointed the other way now, but if his men broke cover and the Frenchmen turned the guns around, they would be slaughtered. “Can you tell where?” he whispered.

Dimbele listened again. “One there, by the woodline,” he said. A moment later: “The other by the water.”

Paulo thought desperately, trying to pick out a route in the starlight. “You take twenty men and come around through the forest,” he said. “I think I can get most of the way to the other one behind that wall there. Once we flank the guns, everyone else comes out.” The Bembe nodded and clapped him on the shoulder, and slipped away without a word.

Paulo broke cover quickly and dashed to the low stone wall that ran along the beach, throwing himself to the ground when he reached it. Sixteen men followed, the survivors of those who had come in the same dugout he had. He cradled his rifle in his elbows and high-crawled, glad that his father had taught him how; it certainly wasn’t something they taught in the African Civil Service school.

The wall ended barely twenty meters from the French troops; he could see the flashes of rifle muzzles, and saw that what was left of the seventh boatload had taken cover in a stand of trees. The Frenchmen – although that might be a misnomer, since at a good third of them were just as French as Paulo was British – were working their way in with the Maxims, and if nothing intervened, the men in the trees wouldn’t have long.

Paulo intervened. He saw where the Maxim was, raised his rifle and fired. At this range he couldn’t miss, even in the darkness, and one of the gunners fell; his other men were firing too, and the other three French soldiers on the Maxim’s crew joined their comrade. He leaped to his feet and ran, charging for the gun before any other Frenchmen could reach it and turn it around.

The French soldiers were shouting in surprise and consternation, and they turned to fire at him; he heard the crack of a bullet passing his ear and saw the man next to him fall. He’d have to worry about that later. He reached the Maxim, and his men formed a knot around it, defending it while they turned it around to face the French troops.

He heard shooting from the other side of the battlefield, and knew that Dimbele had flanked the other machine gun, and now the remainder of his force was charging from inside the camp. Paulo’s force outnumbered the Frenchmen two to one, and without the Maxims, the defenders had no chance; they threw down their weapons, and the battle was over. Only then did Paulo see what they had come to take – the French gunboat, riding peacefully in the water, with the words La Reine de l’Afrique painted at the bow.

The rush of battle suddenly left him, to be replaced by more practical matters: what to do with fifty French prisoners, where to bury the dead and treat the wounded, how to get the gunboat out of there before more Frenchmen came from inland. He turned to Mustafa, the headman at Kigoma and his second in command. “Do any of us know how to pilot that thing?”

“No,” Mustafa answered, “but we can tow it. Send men to bring the other boats from the landing.”

Paulo looked at the boat appraisingly and agreed; the trip across the lake would be arduous, and he didn’t look forward to pulling the oars, but it was small enough for seven dugouts to tow. “Good enough. We’ll get the dead and wounded onto the gunboat, and two men to take care of the wounded. We’ll take the Maxims too, and the French rifles.” Guns and gunboat would both come in handy if the French retaliated, which they doubtless would.

“And the Frenchmen?”

“Guard them now. When we’re ready to leave, take their belts and boots and let them go.”

“Good enough.”

From the corner of his eye, Paulo saw the seventh dugout pulling away from shore, on its way to the landing point to get the other boats. They’d be ready to leave by dawn and, God willing, home the following day.

He sat down against the wall to think, and before he knew it, he was asleep.

Bogie/CSForrester reference?

I liked that bit :)

Well, an alt-WW1 scene on Lake Tanganyika wouldn't really be complete without it, no?

One thing I should mention is that the Bembe people inhabit both sides of Lake Tanganyika, which is one reason Dimbele was so willing to help Paulo the Younger: he was being asked to aid his own coethnics.

Also, Kigoma - which in OTL has grown into a major port and railhead - has played host in TTL to many refugees from the Congo and the warfare between the Great Lakes kingdoms, which means that in addition to Tippu Tip's Ibadi-Abacarism and missionary Christianity, there are also Carlsenist Christians and Afro-Mormons adding to the mix. The region may contribute to some significant political developments after the war.

The gunship should just be Reine d'Afrique ;)

Also, corporate Congo falling apart into a complete clusterfuck? I wish I hadn't been so accurate there, that'll be brutally grimdark for generations even after the fighting stops in Europe.

Related to the above, and I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't recall the answer, how far do you plan to take this timeline? We've all been anticipating the Great War for so long it's almost hard to think of a point beyond that.

I started reading this about a week ago, and...this is simply excellent! :D I love the creative POD involving the Male (whom I never heard off before this) and a Revolutionary Republic being set up in Africa. I'm only up to like the third or fourth update, but I can tell things are going to get very interesting. Plus, I looked at the 1892 map of Africa, but its not too spoilerific, since I still have to see how it happens in the first place, which will be allot of fun! :D I love the "novel snippets" mixed in with "book snippets" style as well.

Needles to say, I'm subscribed, and I voted for this in the Turtledoves. One question though, are you putting this in the Finished Timelines and Scenarios Board. I think you have enough to put it there, since the limit is 1200 words I'f I'm correct. It's just easier to read through without pages of pages of comments (This is one of my little pet peeves of AH.com, so many good timelines, so many pages to look through :p).

The gunship should just be Reine d'Afrique ;)

Also, corporate Congo falling apart into a complete clusterfuck? I wish I hadn't been so accurate there, that'll be brutally grimdark for generations even after the fighting stops in Europe.

It's still the colonial era - I imagine that the pre-1900 nations will be a good bit more willing to step in and "restore order" than they would be 2013 OTL...

Bruce