Looking for a book I read years ago

Hello,

Once I read book about time travel from present (I suppose) world to thousands years ago in North Africa in order to send oil to the future. I remember that - their Jeep was found in XIX century, garden hose was found in medieval times and treated as testicles of some saint that was castrated. Also - after first time travel many timelines were created and many countries from them sent their own time travellers. They all met in North Africa.

Will you help me?

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
Hello,

Once I read book about time travel from present (I suppose) world to thousands years ago in North Africa in order to send oil to the future. I remember that - their Jeep was found in XIX century, garden hose was found in medieval times and treated as testicles of some saint that was castrated. Also - after first time travel many timelines were created and many countries from them sent their own time travellers. They all met in North Africa.

Will you help me?

Wolfgang Jeschke, The Last Day of Creation (Der Letzte Tag der Schöpfung). Should be from 1981. It is about a US/NATO effort to access mid-eastern oil sources in the past - 6 million years ago when the mediterranean was a deep, dry basin. The oil rigs in the British sea are intended to be cross-time pumping stations at the end of a vast pipeline network in the past. Sounds like a parody nowadays, but is written in a 80s cold war thriller style.
Of course the time machines (big devices on board of navy vessels) are also used for attempts to alter the past closer to the present, resulting in different timelines not necessarily with the intended outcome. Also, the soviets have time machines, too...

The book shows everything whats wrong with german SF at this time. However weird the idea is, is makes a good setting and the first half really reads like a technothriller. And then our heros lands in the past and everything is in place and then.......the author drops the ball and lets in typical german fashion the charcters discuss the rest of the book the meanigless of live.