Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Spooky static returns. My favorite use of it is probably still back in Part I or II with the Sanchez biography, made Sanchez feel like something you really weren't supposed to read about.

Supposedly, Rodrigo Munoz’s smash-hit Hispanophone 2009 adaptation of “Manon Lescaut” deliberately shifted the original story’s setting from eighteenth-century France and Louisiana to Spain and Mexico ‘as an act of revenge’, according to an interview with that eccentric director.

A model Diversitarian! Give this man the Golden Prism.

And over in Yunnan province, with trade finally reopened with Siam, what would happen when one flea on one rat happened to bite the wrong person?

I was thinking the spooky thing here would be that since Yunnan (great for growing opium) now has access to the entire Red River and to the port of Haiphong at the end of it, plus the improved state of Chinese chemistry, we'd be looking at earlier heroin spread/usage during/after the Black Twenties. But this... "Black Twenties" just became a much more menacing term.

Societist salute (if this is forbidden by censorship laws in your country, do a normal Roman one with the fingers outstretched rather than closed into a fist).

So the salute is neither outstretched-fist nor a Sieg Heil? What is it then?

Last edited:
Well, it's from a highly melodramatic movie script. It might be all a metaphor for how Societism "dissolves cultures" or similar.
I too think it’s a bit on the nose in making Societism evil and that metaphors of dissolving cultures is actually pretty good.
But a far more academic passage in an earlier post mentions how the Combines chemical research yielded significant results and even references alchemy
So something is being created/discovered in South America but what exactly?

They might try to use it, and then give up due to it being too random to use effectively.
That would still be rather horrifying, albeit I think it would be hard even to come up with the possibility to do such a thing. The Ramirez incident looks like requiring an almost unrealistic series of particular happenstances to happen that way.

(if this is forbidden by censorship laws in your country, do a normal Roman one with the fingers outstretched rather than closed into a fist).
Ah, I think I see now why plays are so valued for historical fiction ITTL even with films as an option: it gives Diversitarian directors and actors a chance to cater a performance to a particular audience and venue.

xsampa

Banned
The war between Persia and Russia is interesting because it can spill over in the Caucasus into Persia itself, Afghanistan and the African and Indian colonies, making this conflict alone , never mind Combine expansion or the Franco-Russian war, a global one. Also, Bouclier Djibouti is surrounded by Ethiopia and Belgian Somaliland.

also, with the Societist revolutions postponed to the Second Internellum, it would be nice to get quotes from the Mao or Tito equivalents.
unified Chinese might be able to inflict a mortal blow against the RLPC lands. To t
Manchuria and Russian Japan?

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone. The speculation is always useful!

A reference to the Dreyfus affair, I guess?

View attachment 534194
Indeed, that's what I was thinking of - it's also meant to be a measure of France's general position being a bit sunnier than OTL (very broadly speaking) in that the defining question that divides society is much less poisonous than one of racism.

Couldn't have asked for a better ending!
Thank you!

And the plot thickens, even if it's a bit hard to tell the significance of the discovery through the playwright being all "Did I mention Alfarus was EEEVIL?" The scientist looking shifty when his vocational test was mentioned was a nice touch, though. (Unless it's a cliche in Diversitarian portrayals of the Combine, of course.)

And the plot thickens, even if it's a bit hard to tell the significance of the discovery through the playwright being all "Did I mention Alfarus was EEEVIL?" The scientist looking shifty when his vocational test was mentioned was a nice touch, though. (Unless it's a cliche in Diversitarian portrayals of the Combine, of course.)
I supposed the scientist in question to be no one other that former Archbishop Ramirez... which would be why the vocational test mention is relevant: the implication is that the test is engineered to demote a potential rival to Alfarus in the upper echelons of Societist hierarchy.
Wait... Ramirez... Oh, maybe I see.
(Btw, sorry, my keyboard is like Motext and has trouble handling Spanish accents).

xsampa

Banned
The war between Persia and Russia is interesting because it can spill over in the Caucasus into Persia itself, Afghanistan and the African and Indian colonies, making this conflict alone , never mind Combine expansion or the Franco-Russian war, a global one. Also, Bouclier Djibouti is surrounded by Ethiopia and Belgian Somaliland.

also, with the Societist revolutions postponed to the Second Internellum, it would be nice to get quotes from the Mao or Tito equivalents.

Manchuria and Russian Japan?
I assume the Chinese will again Manchuria and Mongolia but lose Japan

Oh, that chemistry scene would have made more sense had I remembered that illuftium was nitrogen and elluftium was oxygen.

xsampa

Banned
With implied Russian victory in the near eastern and European fronts (e.g Slavic Lusatia carver from Germany), it makes sense for Danubia and the Ottomans to lean towards the Combine as the “neutral” ally and because it is distant from both (not after expansion, but hindsight), so it makes sense for both to become Societist in the 1930s/ 1940s.
The possibility of Russia creating Kurdistan to irritate both Turkey and Persia increases.
Russia’s wild card is small nations that don’t like the French/ Persians/Chinese. Maybe Autiaurux, Bisnaga, concan.

What happened to the Russian puppeted Basque country? Wouldn't that be as big a thorn in France's side as Russian puppeted Belgium?