Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

xsampa

Banned
"cabinet below, to amplify the sound. None can ever accuse the Societists of not thinking big. Unsatisfied with this, an engineer (possibly former Chilean Karlus Karrerus"
1. The Societists are associated with megaprojects paralleling the American engineering community's disgust with "small is beautiful", see The Existiential Pleasures of Enginnering

2. Chile may be a country in the present say and this use of referring to *Carrero as a Chilean is anachronistic nationalism

“I thought this section was meant to be about minor political parties in Autiaraux?”

“Be quiet, Sergeant Mumby.”

I mean, I was going to ask about the German Revolution, but Sgt. Mumby has the right of it!

Seriously though, while I want to hear everyone's political contentious fates, these tech/science/culture updates always manage to really make LTTW feel genuinely like another timeline. Long may they last.

Thande

Donor
So we have magnetic tape at least 20 years before OTL.
Not magnetic tape. Plastic tape with a record-like groove on it. Watch the video I linked to - almost everyone who wasn't in Germany in the 1960s (or has seen that video) has never heard of the concept. I found a 1940s BBC document where they'd experimented with an earlier version (from Germany) that used gelatin-coated film for sound recording, which is how I was able to reconstruct the design of the earlier version.

You can think of physical analogue media as being like a matrix of 4 main possibilities:

upload_2019-10-14_10-10-3.png

In OTL, vinyl records and 4-track/8-track/cassette were the primary choices of analogue media for music, while floppy disks were only encoded in a digital format, but could theoretically have been used as an analogue medium. Tefifon is the most obscure combination of these choices in OTL, but that's not necessarily inevitable.

Now consider digital recording formats and the laser-read CD, and the meaning of one of the adverts in Part #255 may become clearer...

Now consider digital recording formats and the laser-read CD, and the meaning of one of the adverts in Part #255 may become clearer...

I'm assuming it's a reference to the "dual player", which is able to play both vinyl and magnetic tapes?

Also, the thing I suspected of being a biometric business card is explained.

Thande

Donor
I have just figured out you can go back and add in threadmarks to old posts, so I've done so.

Those commenters upthread asking for summaries of the whole TL - it occurs to me I've never done one from an OTL perspective (i.e. saying XYZ is different to OTL) so I might try that at some point. Obviously at a very low level of detail!

I have just figured out you can go back and add in threadmarks to old posts, so I've done so.

Those commenters upthread asking for summaries of the whole TL - it occurs to me I've never done one from an OTL perspective (i.e. saying XYZ is different to OTL) so I might try that at some point. Obviously at a very low level of detail!
*Three threads later, back to regular updates...*

2. Chile may be a country in the present say and this use of referring to *Carrero as a Chilean is anachronistic nationalism

Some Diversitarian power may want to opportunistically support an independent Chile after the fall of the Combine. If that is the case, a narrative about the oppressed Chilean nation being "Alfarus' first victim" will be convenient, even if Chileans themselves were enthusiastic about the Combine. This would be like the OTL narrative about Austria being "Hitler's first victim" even though most Austrians didn't mind the Anschluss much.

Some Diversitarian power may want to opportunistically support an independent Chile after the fall of the Combine. If that is the case, a narrative about the oppressed Chilean nation being "Alfarus' first victim" will be convenient, even if Chileans themselves were enthusiastic about the Combine. This would be like the OTL narrative about Austria being "Hitler's first victim" even though most Austrians didn't mind the Anschluss much.

Chile hasn't ever been independent ITTL, though, IIRC. If it wasn't part of the UPSA, it was under Spanish colonial rule.

Chile hasn't ever been independent ITTL, though, IIRC. If it wasn't part of the UPSA, it was under Spanish colonial rule.

Diversitarian propaganda can easily elevate the warlords who controlled Chile during the revolution were actually the independent Chilean state and the voice of the long-oppressed, very separatistic and independence-minded, Chilean people.

xsampa

Banned
I wonder if the Diversitarians will restore pre-Combine govts to overseas Zones or leave them as is