Live Aid at different five-year intervals: who would appear and when?

My wife and I have been doing our annual ritual of pulling out our Live Aid DVD around the anniversary of the concert (July 13, 1985) and lamenting our lost youth (not to mention the stylistic decline in nearly all areas since then, or "GOD how I miss the Eighties!" But I digress.)

What occurred to me as we were watching this year was how well the London show, in particular, was sequenced by performer. Up first was the Warm Up Band of Old Farts Who Weren't Quite Famous but Still Hanging in There (Status Quo). Then came the Currently Popular/Up and Coming Bands (Style Council, Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, organizers Ultravox and the Boomtown Rats, etc.) leading up to the most eagerly-awaited act in that category, namely U2. Then Dire Straits (not a fan, but that's another digression) led off the Established Artists, who appeared in rough order of increasing fame/popularity: Queen, then David Bowie, then the Who, then Elton John, with Paul McCartney to close.

So that got me thinking: who would have appeared, and in what sequence, at an AH "Live Aid" concert for a famine at other times than 1985? Doing convenient five-year intervals, I'd say that 1965 would have been too early for that sort of sophisticated thinking to attach itself to rock music, but it was possible by 1970. So who would be the Up and Comings and Established Artists at a "Live Aid" show in 1970, or 1975, or 1980 (or 1990)?

Just off the top of my head, in a 1975 show I would still see McCartney closing, but with Wings, and with the Rolling Stones possibly preceding him. David Bowie might have U2's place as the King of the Up and Comings, but who else would appear in that category - possibly Queen, but who else? Parliament/Funkadelic? Roxy Music? Kiss?

And how about 1980: the Clash had fired Mick Jones and were in a death spiral by 1985, but in a 1980 show they would have a strong shot at being the big Up and Coming Band. Among others: Bob Marley (I don't know how sick he was by 1980)? Blondie? Talking Heads? Kid Creole and the Coconuts (hey, they probably would have made SOME mistakes)?

So, who do YOU think would have taken the stage at Live Aid, if Live Aid were at a five or ten or fifteen year interval from its actual date?

(Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the technology for the worldwide linkup would have been around in 1980, let alone 1970, which would be a POD in itself; but I request that we not get derailed into that discussion, please.)

Tovarich

Banned
Go back far enough to 1945, there's a wonderful AH episode of It Ain't Half Hot Mum to be had there :closedeyesmile:

(Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the technology for the worldwide linkup would have been around in 1980, let alone 1970, which would be a POD in itself; but I request that we not get derailed into that discussion, please.)

I'm not quite old enough to have witnessed it, but there was the 'Our World' broadcast in '67.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_World_(TV_special)

Butterflying the capability a few years earlier, at least, shouldn't be a problem for anyone wanting to get a personal favourite in before it's too late, eg, Buddy Holly.

Last edited:

Santana
Country Joe (if before June, with the Fish)
Joan Baez
James Brown
B.B.King
Jefferson Airplane

Great topic!

I am not too familiar with what was popular in Britain at the time so I'll just take a guess for what would have been a good American lineup.

UP-AND-COMERS

The Eagles
Earth, Wind, and Fire
Janis Ian
Melissa Manchester
Minnie Riperton
Ohio Players
Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Phoebe Snow

ESTABLISHED ARTISTS
Al Green
Alice Cooper
Bob Dylan
Chicago
The Doobie Brothers
Gladys Knight and the Pips
The Isley Brothers
Joan Baez
Judy Collins
Loggins and Messina
Neil Diamond
The Temptations
ZZ Top

And the "Old Fart Who Wasn't Quite Famous But Was Still Hanging In There" would have obviously been Neil Sedaka

UP-AND-COMERS

Blondie
The Cars
Christopher Cross
Dan Fogelberg
The J. Geils Band
Journey
Molly Hatchet
Pat Benatar
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
The Whispers

ESTABLISHED ARTISTS
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Boz Scaggs
The Brothers Johnson
The Commodores
Dionne Warwick
Foreigner
The Jacksons (with solo mini-sets by Michael and Jermaine)
Jefferson Starship
Kenny Loggins
Kool and the Gang
Linda Ronstadt
Styx

For 1990 I feel like the current acts/up-and-comers would have dominated in the American concert. People like MC Hammer, Taylor Dayne, Skid Row, NKOTB to name a few (the last surely would have made an appearance to draw in the teenage girls). I can't think of many veteran acts that could have drawn much of a crowd. Madonna, Cher, Billy Joel, and Aerosmith of course could have. Motley Crue too since were just coming off the massively successful Dr. Feelgood. Same with Don Henley and End of the Innocence. I suppose Gloria Estefan would be a veteran by that point. Heart were still having hits but they were on a downswing from their mid-80s hit-making peak. And then there's Bonnie Raitt who was making albums for 20 years before FINALLY reaching big commercial success with Nick of Time in '89.

Current acts/up-and-comers would have been even more dominant in '95. Hootie, TLC, Green Day, Live, the Offspring, Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, Dave Matthews Band. Pearl Jam and Boyz II Men probably would have been the closest thing to veterans at the time (their debuts were both released in '91). The only acts who broke big earlier than those two I can think of who could have been crowd-pleasers at the time are Van Halen (with Hagar of course) and REM.