List of States in the Union.

Prefrence

Banned
Balboa was named after some Spanish explorer who found the Isthmus I believe but I may be mistaken (In any case there is a city with that name that was the Capital of the Canal Zone)

Prefrence

Banned
Possibly, maybe have a World War 1 Analouge break out, with Quebec favouring a side and America neutral at first. But then the alliance with Quebec in it does something outrageous to America and provokes war?

EDIT:It might be smart to overlay the originial provinces back over Quebec

Possibly, maybe have a World War 1 Analouge break out, with Quebec favouring a side and America neutral at first. But then the alliance with Quebec in it does something outrageous to America and provokes war?

EDIT:It might be smart to overlay the originial provinces back over Quebec
Could you do the overlaying?

In 1901, Quebec begins the "Western Migration." Tens of thousands begin settling on the Pacific coast in Greater Alyeska and Colombia, and establish a decent sized settlement, Montreal-Sur-Pacifique (usually called West Montreal in English) at OTL Victoria.
The large amount of Quebecois moving onto Vancouver Island ensures that by early 1902, the island has a Francophone majority, and the number of Easterners arriving each year only accelerates.

America, of course, is annoyed at this breach of sovereignty. The new residents of the coastal territory still speak French and owe allegiance to Quebec.
Happy at the prosperity the new Pacific trade can bring, Quebec refuses to stop the settlers, claiming it is too difficult and expensive to dislodge the scattered families so far away from the populous East. In a thinly veiled show of support for the settlers, Quebec moves its
borders west, converting its western claim into several new provinces, despite the miniscule population.

To counter this move, America closes off the west, creating a new state and allowing several of the low density western states to annex the remaining unclaimed and unorganized territory. The Quebecois squatters are a point of contention for the two rival nations.

Notes: I'm assuming northern Colombia doesn't have a particularly high population, since America has a ridiculous number of Pacific ports by now. Cities like Vancouver and Victoria, which weren't particularly big by the turn of the century anyway, are going to be even smaller.
I'm thinking we can start a Vancouver Incident with the US Navy sinking a few Quebecois trade ships coming from Vancouver, or some kind of similar border incident?

Also, I encourage more history than just a one sentence explanation of the name!

56. Pekuni (1903), after the Blackfoot Indians. Portions of Idaho, Montana, and southern Alberta.

54thstate.png

Last edited:
57: Luzon (1901)

yBOE9.png

Also, I fixed the border with Quebec that was off by one pixel.

And... now I see that there was another one off... :p

Also, I fixed the border with Quebec that was off by one pixel.

And... now I see that there was another one off... :p

Yeah, sorry about that. I originally marked off Quebecois claims on the northwest US, but decided that was a bit much. I reversed it, but I'm just using MS Paint, and have no talent for that sort of thing.

58 - Walker - 1910

The admission of (mostly) latino-american territories into statehood became slower, because of the assimilation of their population.

yBOE9.png

60 states and on the eve of OTL's WWI...

Is there going to be a big European conflict? I mean, it's basically a given (it's Europe. They like to beat each other up...), but is it the same as OTL? A world map'd be nice to see at this point to know where Quebec's gonna fall in this (and how South America will be carved up). Besides, further conflicts around the world in the 20th century will depend on what nations own what parts of Asia and Africa and how they're decolonized.

The conflict should start pretty much immediately. I basically gave a free US/Quebec flashpoint in 1903, and a decade has passed since then with nothing happening. How about tensions continue to increase, Quebecois continue to essentially colonize the northwest US, and finally some shooting happens. If you really want to go with a WWI analogy, President Smith of the US decides to visit a Columbian settlement (whatever the capital of the city is) to make a speech and guarantee more soldiers will be sent in to stop the Quenuck menace. Some Quebecois saboteur shoots him down. Hours after the news reaches the capitol, Vice President Rodriguez sends the order to mobilize troops, and Congress declares war. Allies get dragged in. Let's assume Quebec and US are allied to France and Britain respectively (common language and culture). Austria and Germany likely come as a pair (not necessarily, but it's likely enough). Russia will be opposed to them just to balance it. I really want to throw in Germany with France just to be different.

So how about this for main teams:
Entente Cordiale:
Quebec, France, Germany, Austria, Latin American rebels

Quadruple Alliance:
US, Britain, Russia, Italy, Balkan nations

Other chips fall where they may, I don't see Asian nations making a big fuss over this. Likely outcome is a pretty easy American victory in the western hemisphere, while Eurasia is a lot more even. Finally, Austria and Germany implode, and France is worn down enough they have no desire to continue the war on their own. Someone else can draw up post-war Europe, I'm too busy, but I'm thinking something like independent Yugoslavia, Poland, and Hungary (Russian puppets), Italy gets Nice and Savoy (if it ever lost them in the first place?). Britain and America get a free for all on Entente African colonies. Whoever draws up the map should also remember the borders should NOT be exactly like OTL WWI, there will be plenty of butterflies go around. I'm just drawing up an outline, change it however you feel. Maybe Germany never unified, it's just Prussia leading a couple of places. Maybe Austria-Hungary already fell apart and there's a Grossdeutchland. Maybe the Ottomans participate in the war. Africa will almost certainly be different. Whatever. Please put a little more thought into it than most people have with the states! :)

As I said above, it'd be really nice if people try to create a story instead of just "US GETS THIS TERRITORY!!!!" The latter is no fun...

AH Time!

During a speech in the border town of Ottawa, a suicide bomber kills the President and Vice President in 1913. Congress nominates Lawrence Salazar (who is now promoted beyond his capabilities) to President and Abraham Cohen, Congress's main hawk, to Vice President. Cohen convinces the president to push for a declaration of war against Quebec. On May 23rd, 1913, the US Army attacks.

• The US 1st Army, under General Christian Grey, attacks Montreal from Burlington, Vermont.
  • The 2nd Army, under General Paul Weber attacks the rail hub of Carrefour (OTL Winnepeg) from Grand Forks, Saratoga.
  • The 3rd Army, under General Shigeru Oshiro, attacks Western Canada (OTL Western Ontario and NE Manitoba, north to Churchill) from Oshibuah, Washington (OTL Thunder Bay)
  • The US Navy, under Admiral Alan Wilson, invades Quebec City from Halifax.

I know I haven't contributed to this thread before, but I am interested in the way it has proceeded, and I have to say I find it unlikely that GB would be allied with the U.S. TTL the U.S. apparently took all of Canada from them in 1812, controls Mexico as well as Cuba and the Phillipines, and is well on its way to taking all of Canada. It seems far more likely that GB would seek to curb the enormous power that TTL U.S. weilds. Quebec has no real hope of facing the U.S. as they are essentially TTL's Mexico, so really their involvment in WWI should really be closer to the Zimmerman Telegram then anything else. I think I more likely alliance system is:

Great Britain, France, Russia, Quebec
V.S.
United States, Germany, Austria, Ottoman Empire.

Essentially boiling down to WWI, except this time the United States is predisposed to work agains the Entente rather then for it. The U.S. is still likely to take Quebec (indeed, this is all but inevitable) but seeing how they deploy their troops in Europe is a very interesting question. Might we see United States occupied territories in Europe? With a more militant U.S. could we even see attempts to make these territories into States? :D Slightly ASB, but so much of TTL has been governed by the Rule of cool I see no reason to stop now!