Lincoln Lives: How a failed assassination changed the course of a Nation and a newly freed people

Not a bad idea, that might be something I can work into a later chapter as kind of a reflection sequence, looking back on the growth of the black community post civil war.
I live to serve.
One of the (many) aspects I like about this forum is the interactions, especially the content creators.

Freedmens Bureau?
They’ll try.
But too few, too many bad guys, and some will be corrupt, too, running their own agendas to their own advantages.
Nope, it's basically the state the was proposed initially before Oklahoma was.
So, the tribes are a buffer state between the black territory and the rest of the states, pretty much.
Smart.
And it won’t last.
More trouble coming. But, what do you expect?
now seemed impossible to defeat, especially if fighting their navy.
Hehehe.
Americans were more advanced in iron clads at the moment, the British slower to adopt.
But that did not last long.
Though numbers still count.
(Someone please correct me, of course)
Shout out to "Vahktang" for the idea on providing guidance to the former slaves,
well, thank you kindly.
And if you put @ in front of a forum members name it shows up in their alerts (and brings smiles to their faces, like you just did 🙂)
Speaking of smiles, thoroughly enjoyed:
Protectorate of Nicaragua
(Harder for bad guys to get there, for one thing)
Resettlement of slaves
Teaching there of
Universal Suffrage (!) (makes sense, considering how many families were mother headed, considering what they went through
Mentioning the death aspects, adjustment, yellow fever, etc.
And the canal. Many of us do love canals on this forum.
Finally, maybe mention crop adjustment. US crops they are used to will not grow in the tropics quite as well.
Nicaragua as the banana supplier would be a good thing, too.
Ooh, establishment of colleges, with an emphasis on Agricultural Colleges. Some good stuff can come of this. Hello, George Washington Carver, born in 1864, he may still be around, almost certainly in the Black territories, if he survives.
Speaking of which, do black leaders resettle? Or do they stay where they are established to assist the new territories?
Also, backlash. Force the black folk out. “You got a homeland, get out of here.”
Enjoying thoroughly.

it would sour US relations with Britain and France for generations.
Hopefully not a Chekhov's Gun for a Central Power US. I prefer neutrality.

As for Rupert's Land I cannot see Britain simply handing it over as is, Quebec and Ontario at least would get some pieces first.

So there will be two Black Majority US States, one far away from the Mainland at that. This would actually settle a lot of issues, reduce tension by severely curtailing interaction between Blacks and Whites while significantly lowering the numbers of Blacks on the mainland, and lastly allow them to peacefully develop without interference.

Last edited:
well, thank you kindly.
And if you put @ in front of a forum members name it shows up in their alerts (and brings smiles to their faces, like you just did 🙂)
Speaking of smiles, thoroughly enjoyed:
Protectorate of Nicaragua
(Harder for bad guys to get there, for one thing)
Resettlement of slaves
Teaching there of
Universal Suffrage (!) (makes sense, considering how many families were mother headed, considering what they went through
Mentioning the death aspects, adjustment, yellow fever, etc.
And the canal. Many of us do love canals on this forum.
Finally, maybe mention crop adjustment. US crops they are used to will not grow in the tropics quite as well.
Nicaragua as the banana supplier would be a good thing, too.
Ooh, establishment of colleges, with an emphasis on Agricultural Colleges. Some good stuff can come of this. Hello, George Washington Carver, born in 1864, he may still be around, almost certainly in the Black territories, if he survives.
Speaking of which, do black leaders resettle? Or do they stay where they are established to assist the new territories?
Also, backlash. Force the black folk out. “You got a homeland, get out of here.”
Enjoying thoroughly.

Still working on how much to speak out on the micro-level as this is more of a macro-level TL, I might work in some things like HBCUs, as I was already considering that but that probably wont be mentioned until 4th chapter. I was hoping to have the 3rd out by now but got sick so i'm a little behind. As always, appreciate the kind words.

One sneak peak I will say, is that there will still be black interaction in the US, these are states (or soon to be states) so black members of Congress, or in the case of Oklahoma and Nicaragua, black Governors, so there will definitely be a different feel the country. As for the crops, that's a good point, I hadn't thought about the different crops for the tropics. Ill keep that in miind.

One thing to clarify, and I will include in my next update, is that it's not just resettlement of former slaves, many free blacks have chosen to migrate US territories that are now black dominated and more to come, stay tuned!

Lincoln did seem to be influenced by Frederick Douglas, who opposed the colonisaton idea
AFAIK, in OTL Lincoln was heavily swayed by Douglass and that is one reason he decided against it, pure economics was the bigger driver though as it was costly to transport them. Thats why the conversation with a dying Booth was so key in changing Lincolns' mind in this ATL.

So what happens to the South, do the plantations of Confederate supporters get broken up?
Certainly hope so.
Break the power of the planters.
Spread the economy around.
But, I do not see it happening.
Property rights and all, even though the was was just fought over property rights.

Lincoln did seem to be influenced by Frederick Douglas, who opposed the colonisaton idea
My understanding was that the African American was much more the latter then the former, with American tastes, culture, teachings, etc.
Hence against colonization and for an American homeland.
Dare I say an integrated one?

Hopefully not a Chekhov's Gun for a Central Power US. I prefer neutrality.

As for Rupert's Land I cannot see Britain simply handing it over as is, Quebec and Ontario at least would get some pieces first.

So there will be two Black Majority US States, one far away from the Mainland at that. This would actually settle a lot of issues, reduce tension by severely curtailing interaction between Blacks and Whites while significantly lowering the numbers of Blacks on the mainland, and lastly allow them to peacefully develop without interference.
Well they didn't really hand it over, it was sold. Also, remember it was privately owned by HBC, they simply used government pressure in OTL to stop the sale to the US but they sale was planned. So it's not too much of stretch to see it be allowed in exchange for allowing them a free hand in their new Central American colony. I will say this, the US is NOT going to take over all of Canada or Newfoundland and Labrador. Also, there was a small faction in Britain that wanted to leave British North America, I will be mentioning them in the next chapter, it will help explain how and why the sale got approved in the treaty.

As for the number of black states, well....., lets just say there is another twist coming and I am pulling from another OTL incident that almost expanded US territory but was stopped in Congress, I'll leave it to readers to see if they can figure out what I'm referring to before I post the next Chapter, as it will occur there.

I just looked up what Ruperts Land was.
I always figured it was like an island or a Gadsden Purchase to straighten out a border or something.
No. It’s 8 million square kilometers. That’s four times the size of Alaska, more than three times the size of the Louisiana purchase. Which is mighty impressive, until you find out:
the company had no land to sell: its Charter was essentially for a trading monopoly enforceable on British subjects.
So, the U.S. just bought a bunch of trading rights in another country.
Yay?
But, then I found, in 1863, a company:
floated £2 million in public shares on non-ceded land held ostensibly by the Hudson's Bay Company as an asset and leveraged this asset for collateral for these funds.
So, there was land, after all?
Further, in 1869,
after rejecting the American government offer of CA$10,000,000,[54] the company approved the return of Rupert's Land to Britain
to whit:
HBC also received one-twentieth of the fertile areas to be opened for settlement and retained title to the lands on which it had built trading establishments.
So, I guess there are multiple state sized areas available for settlement. And it pretty much cuts Canada in half, which was probably why the rejection in our TL. Guess that means a Canada in the East and a Columbia in the West.
And I think Alaska was mentioned, too, so, even more settlement.

I just looked up what Ruperts Land was.
I always figured it was like an island or a Gadsden Purchase to straighten out a border or something.
No. It’s 8 million square kilometers. That’s four times the size of Alaska, more than three times the size of the Louisiana purchase. Which is mighty impressive, until you find out:

So, the U.S. just bought a bunch of trading rights in another country.
Yay?
But, then I found, in 1863, a company:

So, there was land, after all?
Further, in 1869,

to whit:

So, I guess there are multiple state sized areas available for settlement. And it pretty much cuts Canada in half, which was probably why the rejection in our TL. Guess that means a Canada in the East and a Columbia in the West.
And I think Alaska was mentioned, too, so, even more settlement.
Yeah Rupert's Land is a complicated mess. In the end it all boils down to those in the UK who wanted to abandon Canada as they saw it inevitable that the us would just take it one day (and they did exist and will be mentioned in the next chapter) but the ones that prevailed were those who refused to conceded anything to the US and put for the Dominion idea for Canada, which many non-Canadians accidentally refer to as their Independence day, which it wasnt.

The one thing I have realized is that this is going to end up coming off like Ameriwank, which was not the intent when I started but looks like it will come off that way regardless as I am too far down my outline and I like it too much to change. So, fair warning for those that don't like that. One thing though I will repeat what i said in an earlier response that the US will not get Canada, just remember what exactly Canada was (and where it was) in 1867. Hint: it didn't go coast to coast.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Death of an Empire

Chapter 3 – Death of an Empire​

President Lincoln was greatly concerned with the ongoing Reconstruction efforts in the former Confederacy in the Spring of 1867. While progress was being made, including the final repair of all main railroad lines throughout the south, a group calling itself the Ku Klux Klan had been tormenting negroes across the region. Initially little was done, as the Federal government first needed to secure the south as a whole before targeting these agitators. The one thing in the negroes favor, is the Slave Reparation Act. President Lincoln used the Federal Troops stationed throughout the south to trumpet the law once it passed and to use them to aid former slaves in moving to the Oklahoma (and later Nicaragua) territory. The other thing President Lincoln pushed Congress for was the establishment of a federal chartered college, technically it would be open to all races and genders, but it was really being created to help free blacks get an education. It was originally planned to be housed in Washington, D.C., however, O.O. Howard, a Union general that was currently in charge of the Freedmen’s Bureau, suggested opening it up in the Oklahoma territory. Thus, with Congressional legislation in April 1867, Howard College(now University) was formed in Oklahoma City, the capital of the new territory. It is viewed as the black equivalent of Harvard or Yale, producing well educated men and women to this day. During this time, Frederick Douglas accepted the position as first President of Howard College and relocated to Oklahoma, believing he would be of more use to aiding his newly freed brethren in learning how to live like a free people, knowing they would need help understanding even basic things like earning a wage and paying taxes.

As for the KKK, their actions ended up causing the former slaves to begin fleeing in droves even faster than Lincoln anticipated after the passage of the Slave Reparation Act. Many southerners, especially the poorest and those without land, were fine with this, seeing the former slaves as a constant reminder of what they lost. The former Plantation owners, however, were furious and eventually started fighting against the Klan because they had driven away all their cheap labor that they had planned to use under a scheme of sharecropping. The KKK, in its haste to torment the now free blacks, had essentially put the final nail in the coffin of the former landed gentry of Southern Plantations, hastening a greater redistribution of wealth. This was due to the fact that the former slave owners of the south were now going to have to pay a larger wage to get hands to work the land for them. In the end, the Klan was undone by the very people they were supposedly representing rather than by Congressional action. The few attempts to cause issues in Oklahoma was beaten back soundly by initially US Army units and then later, Rangers patrolling the borders made up of former black union army veterans that were now providing law and order to the new territory. While there are remnants of the Klan still in existence today, due to the heavy backlash by the landowners that controlled the ante-bellum south, they never grew beyond a regional nuisance in the deep south states of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Mostly in Louisiana, as it had the largest black population in the United States outside of Oklahoma and Nicaragua, followed closely by a large group of freedmen in New York City and Philadelphia. In the end, the Klans actions led to the southern land owners and states seeking cheap labor in Europe, leading to large Italian, Irish, and even Eastern European Jewish(though most Jewish immigrants ended up in Northern cities like New York or Chicago) populations in cities like Birmingham(AL), Charlotte(NC), Atlanta(GA), New Orleans(LA) and Richmond(VA) due to the textile and manufacturing plants in those locations, as many immigrants brought to work the fields would leave as soon as they could afford to due to the backbreaking nature of the work. This continued on until immigration was greatly restricted at the dawn of the 20th century, causing many poor whites to slowly gain better wages once the cheap labor dried up. This would lead to an end to most sharecropping by the end of the 1920s.

One thing Lincoln had been planning on since the Treaty of Washington was to try and find a way isolate the French in Mexico to prevent their influence from extending outside of Mexican borders. What he hadn’t anticipated was how the events in Europe would end up doing the work for him. Just 6 months after signing the treaty, the first chink in the armor of a French Mexico happened with the birth of the North German Confederation on August 18, 1866 with a Treaty of Alliance between several north Germanic states with Prussia. In the Spring of 1867, on April 16th, a formal Constitution was adopted that governed this federation until its dissolution in 1871 upon the formation of the German Empire. This new Confederation greatly worried Napolean III and he began slowly shifting resources away from Mexico back to France in anticipation of a potential conflict after witnessing Prussia defeat Austria in 1866. This greatly hurt Maximilians’ rule in Mexico, as he had not had time to properly secure his position and win over support of the Mexican people. Which is why, after losing too many men and financial support from France, the inevitable rebellion began (or second rebellion in reality), led by Benito Juarez. This follows earlier attempts during 1862 that led to a victory now remembered as Cinco De Mayo, at the Battle of Puebla. With French support it was suppressed, but with their withdrawal, Maximilian could no longer stop open revolution. Thus it was, that Maximilians reign ended with his overthrow and execution by firing squad on June 19th, 1867. Also known as the Birth of the Restored Republic of Mexico under Benito Juarez leadership.

At this time, the Parliament in Great Britain was torn. A group known as “Little Englanders” were against further expansion of the British empire and were a driving force in allowing the sale of Rupert’s Land to the United States. They also were in favor of allowing British Columbia to be left to it’s own devices due to the distance between London and BC, wanting instead to focus on building up the British Isles proper, especially manufacturing in Manchester and similar places. However, there was enough backlash from the Rupert's Land deal that, along with public support from Queen Victoria, a new term was introduced for British Territories; Dominion. Parliament established the Dominion of Canada with the British North America Act that joined the provinces of Canada (split into Ontario and Quebec), New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia into a confederation with self governance. So it was that Canada became the first Dominion in the British Empire on July 1, 1867. While publicly most of parliament applauded this, privately the Little Englanders hoped that this would not expand to British Columbia, as they still felt it a waste of resources trying to govern and protect that territory.

Just a month later, President Lincoln received a surprise letter from the government in Santo Domingo. Tensions had been growing between Haiti and the only recently newly independent Santo Domingo, having just fought a war with Spain who had annexed them during the American Civil War. The Dominican nation had been greatly weakened during this time and in fact, now had a smaller population than even Nicaragua had prior to US intervention there. The President was unsure of how to proceed, as he didn’t want to have Spain try to come back or for further fighting on the island with Haiti but they were still ingesting Nicaragua and Rupert’s Land, not to mention Secretary Seward had been negotiating with Russia over Alaska, as Russia wanted to jettison the land to pay for debts that it had accrued due to the Crimean war. Lincoln decided to push the issue off to his successor, informing the Santo Domingo government that they should follow up with the next President as they simply could not take up the issue at this time. On August 28th, Secretary Steward finalized the treaty for the purchase of Alaska with Russia, it had been delayed due to the Rupert’s Land acquisition but now it was complete, pending approval by the Senate. While many would mock this purchase, calling it “Lincoln’s Folly” or “Lincoln’s Icebox”, the Senate still approved as many saw it as further proof of their Manifest Destiny over the North American continent. The US would take over the territory officially on January 18th, 1868.

Meanwhile out west, the Medicine Lodge treaty was concluded on October 21, 1867, signed by Great Plains Indian leaders and it forced them to relocate to the Sequoyah territory with small reservations carved out of the existing territory. Unfortunately, this would not end the Indian Wars.

As the calendar turned to 1868, Lincoln felt a sense of relief, knowing his time as President was almost up. Several key events, both politically and culturally occurred this year.
  • On February 24th, the first Mardi Gras parade to include floats occurred.
  • On May 30th, the first Memorial Day was observed in the US, it would be that way for a century before changing to the last Monday in May.
  • On June 25th, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana and Georgia are readmitted to the Union.
  • July 25th, the Wyoming Territory is organized
  • July 28th, the 14th amendment to the constitution is ratified, ensuring citizenship for all former slaves as well as guaranteeing Due Process under the law for all citizens, regardless of color.
  • In September, the first volume of “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott is published.
  • October 28th, Thomas Edison applied for his first patent, an Electric Vote Recorder.
  • November 3rd, Ulysses S. Grant is elected the 17th President of the United States in a landslide.

Probably the most scrutinized of President Lincoln’s last acts, was his decision to issue a blanket pardon on Christmas Day, 1868, for all former Confederate rebels, except for Jefferson Davis. He would end up pardoned a century later. However at this time, Lincoln was not worried about public opinion since his term was almost over. The last great work of his administration was getting the 15th amendment through Congress in February of 1869, leading to a difficult ratification fight. Now as President Grant takes the oath of office, President Lincoln retires to Illinois to plan his world travels. He already hopes to restart his law practice once he returns from his trip. Sadly, that was not to be.

Notes: A little time jump here getting through 2 years and a couple of months. There will be bigger jump in next chapter, as that will pretty much cover the 1870s as a whole, maybe more.

And to reiterate, I understand this will likely come off as Ameriwank but that does not mean they are going to suddenly take over all the Americas. They will not be taking Canada nor will they claim any further territory from Mexico on south through Central and South America. Just in case anyone was worried that this just going to turn into Pax Americana. There will still be a Spanish-American war but I have a twist in mind that may confuse some people considering what has happened so far, at least that's my hope. I went into this hoping not to make some cookie cutter TL and plan to try to keep to that.

As for the story itself, here is a few notes in case you have any questions or complaints about certain things to help explain the logic behind them. Howard University was founded in January 1867, I moved that to April to coincide with the KKK issues being mentioned. As for the KKK, it formed in TN after the war and grew from there before being put down by Enforcement Acts after the 15th amendment was passed in 1870. This was not needed in this TL, thanks to the backlash from southern gentry. For the Jewish immigration, some may question the growth in the south but there were indeed small enclaves in south, Charlotte and Wilmington in NC for example both had small groups of Jewish families pre-civil war, and in fact, the Confederate VP was Jewish. Also, businesses did reach out to Europe for cheap labor post war, both north and south. As for the those in England against expansion see the following Reference for the “Little Englander” group. Sage, Walter N. (1932). "The Critical Period of British Columbia History, 1866-1871". Pacific Historical Review. 1 (4): 424–443.

So, with the purchase of Rupert's Land, British Columbia is now isolated from the rest of Canada. How long does it remain British?

So, with the purchase of Rupert's Land, British Columbia is now isolated from the rest of Canada. How long does it remain British?
Haven't decided the final timeframe for that, only that it wont be past the Great War. Also still deciding on whether the US grabs it or to throw a curve and make it an independent country. To be continued at this point... ;)