Lifetime US Presidents

Alexander Hamilton proposed that US Presidents should serve for life, subject to removal for misconduct. This was completely ignored by the Constitutional Convention, but what if it was adopted? Just as a theoretical exercise, I've gone through the list of US Presidents and extended their terms to their death, then replaced them with whoever was the last President that year. I understand that after a few decades the actual men would be completely different, but think of it as a plausible equivalent of what generation gets into the White House and how long they last. In some cases there's surprisingly little change, since Presidents tended to die not long after leaving office.
George Washington 1789-1799 Washington never wanted to hold office for life, so he may have resigned earlier. But John Adams would still follow him.
John Adams 1799-1826
John Quincy Adams 1826-1848 A son immediately following his father might be seen as too monarchical.
James Polk 1848-1849
Zachary Taylor 1849-1850 Died in office.
Millard Fillmore 1850-1874
Ulysses Grant 1874-1885 Yes, I'm skipping over Lincoln, so it doesn't really make sense for Grant to be President. Work with me here.
Grover Cleveland 1885-1908
Theodore Roosevelt 1908-1919
Woodrow Wilson 1919-1924 Incapacitated in office. Maybe Congress removes him if there's no other way to get rid of him.
Calvin Coolidge 1924-1933
Franklin Roosevelt 1933-1945 Died in office.
Harry Truman 1945-1972
Richard Nixon 1972-1974 Yes, I'm assuming there's an equivalent of Watergate, so he resigns or is impeached and removed.
Gerald Ford 1974-2006 Longest-serving President in this scenario at 32 years.
George W. Bush 2006-2040? He'd be the President now, and his father lived to 94.
Of course there was a strong tradition in OTL, completely separate from the actual law, of only standing for two terms. Who knows how this would play out if Presidents were elected for life. Any other thoughts?

What a really terrible idea. Completely incompatible with a republican form of government.
Yeah, that was the OTL objection too. Hamilton also wanted Senators to serve for life, but would give bigger states more Senators. The Supreme Court is a model for how this would work in practice. It's not so much when they die as when their health problems make it impractical to keep working and they retire. But everyone tries to get the youngest possible candidate.

If president would be lifetime probably at some point his power is decreased. No one want totally uncapable president. And such lifetime office probably would corrupt president anyway making things really messy.

What a really terrible idea. Completely incompatible with a republican form of government.

Not necessarily. The Doges of Venice were elected for life, and La Serenissima maintained its republican form of government for literally over a thousand years (697-1797, though granted records of the early centuries are a bit sketchy).

Wow, President Gerald Ford would experience the 80s, 90s, and 9/11...

And George W. Bush in the 2010s?! Oh boy.
No imagine Strom Thurmond hypothetically is elected in 1948 and serves until 2002. But on the other hand it is unrealistic that the level of stress would allow a really geriatric person to seroiously serve as a President. Most Popes have massive health decline after age of 85. That's why Ratzinger abdicated.

No imagine Strom Thurmond hypothetically is elected in 1948 and serves until 2002. But on the other hand it is unrealistic that the level of stress would allow a really geriatric person to seroiously serve as a President. Most Popes have massive health decline after age of 85. That's why Ratzinger abdicated.

Could be worse. Imagine a President-for-Life George Lincoln Rockwell, or LaRouche? We'd see an America, nay, a whole world fucked up on the scale of Rumsfeldia or For All Time.

Yeah, that was the OTL objection too. Hamilton also wanted Senators to serve for life, but would give bigger states more Senators. The Supreme Court is a model for how this would work in practice. It's not so much when they die as when their health problems make it impractical to keep working and they retire. But everyone tries to get the youngest possible candidate.
He also wanted the vote restricted to just those those ancestors had fought for the Patriots

Belisarius II said:

Not necessarily. The Doges of Venice were elected for life, and La Serenissima maintained its republican form of government for literally over a thousand years (697-1797, though granted records of the early centuries are a bit sketchy).

A good point, but I thought of Venice when I wrote my comment. Venice wasn't really what we think of as republican government. Venice had an aristocracy, and nobility. American wanted to avoid that, no titles, and no plutocracy. At least that was the goal.

A good point, but I thought of Venice when I wrote my comment. Venice wasn't really what we think of as republican government. Venice had an aristocracy, and nobility. American wanted to avoid that, no titles, and no plutocracy. At least that was the goal.

What do you mean "we", kemosabe? :p Personally I think that any definition of "republican government" that excludes the longest-lasting republic is in need of revision.

Belisarius II said:

And Venice also sharply limited the franchise to a small
handful of the population.

Jimmy Carter seems pretty active at 95, but he said he wouldn't have been able to handle being President even at 85.

Canada originally had Senators who served for life. This was reduced to mandatory retirement at age 75 in the 1960s. It's possible that after a President becomes incapacitated in office or serves a really long time they may doing something similar?