Leinster re-divided along linguistic lines

Quoting John Cowan's comment from languagehat.com

Nine, unless someone has changed them while I wasn’t looking; the Six plus three in the Republic. Still, considering that there are four provinces despite the Irish word cúige ‘province’ being transparently < cuig ‘five’, enumeration may not have been a particular talent of my ancestors. (In fact, the old provinces of Leinster and Meath were merged in late Norman times because the Pale of Settlement overlapped them, making it convenient to treat them as a single entity.)

Go ahead with speculation, people more familiar with that.

Jus one universe away, Leinster was re-divided along linguistic lines. The outcome of 1919-1922 was an Ireland still mostly Irish-speaking, but completely free of Cambria politically. However, there were a large number of Brithenig-speakers in the east: the line was drawn to more or less enclose them as a European-style national minority, as there never had been any nationwide Brithenig-ization policy.

Note that historically Ulster had been the center of Goedelitas on both sides of the sea, and that was precisely why the English and Scots settled it with such brutal enthusiasm. The Cambrians were more interested at first in suppressing piracy and slave-taking, which is why they dominated the eastern coast.

I'm having quoteblocks trouble. I want this thread deleted because I can't delete the original post. I'm trying to post it in a more normal format, but I need to delete this thread first. EDIT: it's in he wrong forum anyway, it should be pre-1900.

Last edited: